American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

Lil Rounds

90210rox

[21]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 14
    Lil was my favorite girl for... about a week. The week of Group 3. That kinda fizzled out fast and easy. Independence Day was the beginning of her downward spiral, and she has NOT been doing so hot ever since. Her best performance was her first one (besides auditions and all that) this season. She doesn't have good control over her voice, she's picking all the wrong songs, and she doesn't deliver an amazing performance to make up for the bad song choices. She's in danger this week, she will be in danger next week and if not eliminated then, she will be out the next week. All I know is, she won't make it to the Top 5. I bet money. I think it's too late now to make up for any bad performance she's had because it's just been too long and there's just been too many.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[22]Apr 7, 2009
    • level: 32
    ^^Totally agree with 90210rox. Lil and Allison were my favorites from all those 36-24 elimination rounds but now its mainly just Allison. I dont know whats going on, song choice or what but it just hasnt been good for her. She has such a strong voice and I thought could be like the next Whitney Houston or something but now shes becoming more like Fantasia *shudders*. It may also be too that in the past there were more R&B singers in the competition (one season we had Jordin Sparks, Melinda Doolitte and Latisha or whatever her name was in the top 5!) but now it seems to be more rock, so people just maybe arent as interested in hearing R&B? I really dont know.

ebony_kunoichi

[23]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 13

I have always said that lil sucks. She is the ghost of Mantasia past! She was overrated cause she was the only r&B singer in the top 13. There were other singers better than her that should have made it. she had a semi sob story and kids, yeah AI's producers loooove that.

The reason why there aren't that many R&B singers the past 2 years is because of the demographic for idol has changed for the past 3 or 4 seasons. There are more tweens, teens frauen's who are in the majority white and female. Not trying to be racist, it's just true. Not to say that they don't listen to R&B, they do. A lot of them are voting based on looks. I just dont know many males or many black people that watch idol on a regular basis or much less spend their time voting over and over and over again. Idol producers know this and they pick accordingly. That's why last year Sylesha or whoever didnt stand a chance on winning and unless she goes the broadway route her career will never get off the ground. So far Jennifer Hudson has been successful only due to her great performance in Dreamgirls. If she wouldnt have done that movie barely anyone would have remembered her. R&B isnt that popular as pop. So yeah Jordin Sparks had a chance cause she was young and could do pop but Merkin will be painted in a corner by the overly antiquated and biased music industry. It's either R&B or gospel or nuttin.

I predict that it would take a really strong female and a lot of weak male contestants in order for a chick to win AI in the years to come. It has truly become a popularity contest and a sausage fest due to chicks ruining this show by their votes.

Edited on 04/08/2009 8:51am

sylent_asassin

[24]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 26
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

I have always said that lil sucks. She is the ghost of Mantasia past! She was overrated cause she was the only r&B singer in the top 13. There were other singers better than her that should have made it. she had a semi sob story and kids, yeah AI's producers loooove that.

The reason why there aren't that many R&B singers the past 2 years is because of the demographic for idol has changed for the past 3 or 4 seasons. There are more tweens, teens frauen's who are in the majority white and female. Not trying to be racist, it's just true. Not to say that they don't listen to R&B, they do. A lot of them are voting based on looks. I just dont know many males or many black people that watch idol on a regular basis or much less spend their time voting over and over and over again. Idol producers know this and they pick accordingly. That's why last year Sylesha or whoever didnt stand a chance on winning and unless she goes the broadway route her career will never get off the ground. So far Jennifer Hudson has been successful only due to her great performance in Dreamgirls. If she wouldnt have done that movie barely anyone would have remembered her. R&B isnt that popular as pop. So yeah Jordin Sparks had a chance cause she was young and could do pop but Merkin will be painted in a corner by the overly antiquated and biased music industry. It's either R&B or gospel or nuttin.

I predict that it would take a really strong female and a lot of weak male contestants in order for a chick to win AI in the years to come. It has truly become a popularity contest and a sausage fest due to chicks ruining this show by their votes.

You have a point in regard to the voting. Most guys don't vote. I've been watching AI since season 2 and I've never voted. Nor have any of my male friends that watch the show. We've deemed it pointless when you have horny, teenaged kids voting 100 times opposed to our one vote each.

By the way, quit it already with the 'Merkin' remarks. Support your Sista, gosh darn it!

ebony_kunoichi

[25]Apr 8, 2009
    I refuse to support Merkin Rounds untill she learns how to sing! I'm an Allison fan! Shout out to all my brown brothers and sistahs out there. Mad love yo....oh gawd I just pulled a Randy Jackson...oh dear.

sylent_asassin

[26]Apr 8, 2009
    It's not her singing that gets me, it's her speaking. Whenever she opens her mouth, she sets us back another 5 years by blitzing the English language. "If yallz vote me in again, Iza gonna do betta."

jazy0221

[27]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    It's not her singing that gets me, it's her speaking. Whenever she opens her mouth, she sets us back another 5 years by blitzing the English language. "If yallz vote me in again, Iza gonna do betta."

Well its another thing us english speakers call a dialect. She's from the South and most places in the South have a accent or dialect that is different then "proper" english. Its not that she is incapable of it its just that the town where shes from.. thats how they speak. No need to knock her for it. Anyway..

I was a big fan of hers in the beginning... but im still waiting for her to have a wow moment. I think she def the best singer along with the other girl (sorry her name just slipped my mind...allyson maybe?) lol could be wrong.

myintermail

[28]Apr 8, 2009
    Sorry, 5 weeks is a loooong time to wait for a breakthrough and I'm still not impressed. Other people in the previous seasons had somewhat have their good performances by now. Heck even Sanjaya had a memorable performance by top 8.

Hope she's next. And no, please no judges' save, it's not even worth it.

Bjbler2396

[29]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 21

I'm giving up on Lil. I think it is too little too late regardless of what she does next week. I really thought she could have an amazing performance by now, but I guess not. She needs to go.

-BJ

90210rox

[30]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 14
    She was even bad during tonight's group performance. Lil is my new target for elimination next week. It used to be Anoop, but he actually did more than decent this week while Lil continued to fall. I don't see her streak changing next week unless she gets a big, fat MIRACLE.
    Edited on 04/08/2009 10:28pm

stellarchick86

[31]Apr 8, 2009
    • level: 32
    Since Lil has been one of my faves since the beginning, I feel I cant give up on her yet like some other people around here so this is my "second chance" for her. She has been given alot of criticism by the judges so she knows theres a problem, she has been in the bottom 3 which is a new thing for her so she knows the fans arent liking it, and she knows now her imitations of other singers and just not singing as well as she did in the beginning of this season isnt getting her far. So, if she continues to do these things and dissapoint me I will have no problem with her leaving next week and wont feel bad regardless of the judges save. If she does a great job next week and takes the criticism as constructive and does what needs to be done, she will still be one of my faves and will hope she doesnt leave. Allisons still my fave that wont ever change but at least Lil can be 2nd or 3rd if she changes it up.
    Edited on 04/08/2009 10:53pm

ebony_kunoichi

[32]Apr 9, 2009

Sylent, did u say set us back 50 years! More like 200! But in Lil's defense she sounds like all southerners. Sylent you must be a Yankee. I am too, so it's o.k. When I first arrived in Texas I thought I entered a time machine by mistake and ended up in 1800's....before they freed the slaves!

I didnt give up on Lil, I was never on the Lil waggon to begin with. She was overrated to me and only got on cause they needed to fill the black r&b demographic. I still think that Jamari what's his face who was a friend of DWD should have gotten a chance.

sylent_asassin

[33]Apr 9, 2009
    Um... I said 5 years, but still. I know pepole that were born and raised in the Lone Star State and are capable of speaking proper English without the thick Southern accent and dialect. A good friend of mine is from Texas and has no such accent. My Grandmother is from Loiusiana and speaks nothing like a Southerner, but does spout off witty southern catchphrases. In any event jazy0221, it was a joke... It's not like I'm saying she has pubes on her head or anything.

I thought Jamar should have been given a shot instead of that one clown that gave up and walked off stage during Hollywood week. Hell, those three drama queen fruitcakes (Nathaniel being one of them) should have never been considered. None of those guys had any vocal talent. At LEAST Tatiana could sing. Those guys were just horrible to begin with and were solely chosen to boost ratings. It kills me and turns me off to this show when Comic relief characters are chosen over talented performers for the sake of ratings.

ebony_kunoichi

[34]Apr 9, 2009

only 5 years? u are too kind. But knowing a few from the south that don't have accents is one thing, but I LIVE here Sylent! I hear all kinds of accents. Yeah, there are some that have no accents, but for the most part the south has a hodge podge of varying dialects. Especially in hood. U will hear a strong southern accent. So yeah, you couldnt make it down here in the south Sylent!

Lil's time is almost up and I can't wait for it.

jazy0221

[35]Apr 9, 2009
    sylent_asassin wrote:
    Um... I said 5 years, but still. I know pepole that were born and raised in the Lone Star State and are capable of speaking proper English without the thick Southern accent and dialect. A good friend of mine is from Texas and has no such accent. My Grandmother is from Loiusiana and speaks nothing like a Southerner, but does spout off witty southern catchphrases. In any event jazy0221, it was a joke... It's not like I'm saying she has pubes on her head or anything.

I thought Jamar should have been given a shot instead of that one clown that gave up and walked off stage during Hollywood week. Hell, those three drama queen fruitcakes (Nathaniel being one of them) should have never been considered. None of those guys had any vocal talent. At LEAST Tatiana could sing. Those guys were just horrible to begin with and were solely chosen to boost ratings. It kills me and turns me off to this show when Comic relief characters are chosen over talented performers for the sake of ratings.

Lmao, pubes on head? yuck! im glad u didnt say that. But yeah im just sayon i kno lots of ppl from the south and depending on how deep ya go, or what town... lots have thick accents that dont interchange with proper english easily. But whatever... i think her time is up. It would take a miracle for her to make a comeback. Like someone else saID.. she even sucked in the group performance!

sylent_asassin

[36]Apr 9, 2009
    The 'Pubes on the head' was in reference to what ebony calls a 'Merkin.' Don't look it up. You're better off not knowing. At any rate, Lil will probably be the next casualty of AI in the popularity wars. Every week she promises to step up, yet contuinues to exhibit poor song choice and underachieves with her overpowering voice.

jazy0221

[37]Apr 9, 2009
    ill take your advice and not look it up. But yeah she def keeps makin the same unfilfilled promise. Shes my next boot too. Her or Anoop

buffyangel4evr_

[38]Apr 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    I really wanted to give Lil a chance. But week after week of unfufilled promises have got to stop. I asked in another thread---Do the judges have to choose a song for her and wll her how to perform it? Every week it's the same------ Lil, That was the wrong song for you. Lil, you should have made it current. Lil, that was too old fashioned. Broken record. Unless she has a "Simon standing O performance" or Anoop totally tanks next week's theme, there is no way she's going to last another week.

taillow22

[39]Apr 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    omg, she's so funny!!! i hope she gets to like 5th place or something, bcuz shes like a joke in my english class. everyone loves her and makes fun of her like everyday.