American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Official Thread For The Top 5 Perform & The Results Show!!

angeldeb82

[41]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 12
    I thought I was going to lose Adam now that he was in the bottom 3 with Matt and Kris, the latter being sent to safety. I thought I was gonna be so p!$$ed if Adam had left. Thank goodness I heaved a sigh of relief when I found out that Matt was the one being sent home.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

abbymiv

[42]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 4

OMG!!!!!!!!!

what the hell! definitely the worst episode!

my favourite 2 in the B2 with Matt going home

if there's any relief, it would be adam is still there.

but... y danny is still in the competition? he and Matt both gave a so-so performance last night!

Danny should leave!

stellarchick86

[43]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 32
    I am beyond shocked at tonights' results. I figured itd go Adam-Kris-Danny-Allison-Matt. So Matt went home which was nice and I was expecting/hoping but I did not expect Adam and/or Kris in the bottom 2/3 AT ALL. Thats crazy to me. I voted a bunch of times for Allison last night so thats good that it helped and everything but I figured itd just help her from going home but maybe being in the bottom 2. I never figured itd be to help her in the TOP 2. Anyway dont have much else to say on tonights show..I FFed through the performances and thought the "music video" was pretty corny. Next week should be good since its rock week and everyone does good at that one and at least we wont have to hear "are you rock or r&b?" from the judges to Matt next week!

goodridd

[44]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 17

I would have rather seen Adam or Danny go.

People used to say that Scott was riding the sympathy vote, now I think it's Danny.

ninjasquirrel19

[45]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 7
    InlovewADnK wrote:
    ninjasquirrel19 wrote:
    kikimarie593 wrote:

hesonlylonely wrote:
    OrSoIThought wrote:
    I'm not sure I'm watching tonight. I don't think I can bear what they're going to do to Frank Sinatra songs. I adore Frank Sinatra, and I don't want to hear the final five ruin some of my favorite songs by changing things that do not need changed. I like them as artists, and I would hate to have something to hold against them.
    You've always got to be excited to see what Adam does, though, right? The trick is simply trying not to think about where the song came from - cut the umbilical cord from the mother that is Frank Sinatra who is feeding this young Adam Lambert. Adam Lambert's stuff is so original and captivating, he is better than all seven of the previous winners. A ninth season with twelve contestants of his caliber would be fantastic.

You're acting like Adam Lambert is God or something. Not all of the previous winners are that good, but there's no way he's better then Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. And originality doesn't always mean good.

I agree with you. Adam is alright, but there's no way he's better than Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, or David Cook.

The judges even say that this season has the most talented contestants in our top 7 now top 5 than any season BEFORE.

So Adam is absolutely better than Kelly, Carrie, and David. Don't get me wrong I love both David's from last season and Carrie is one of the very few country singers I like. And Kelly will alwayse be remembered as the first American Idol and for her song "Since You've been gone" Which is amazing.

\

They say that EVERY year.

DILLIGAF7

[46]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 4
    I never been that shocked on an episode of American Idol before. I was just freaking out. I saw Kris in the bottom! I was so confused on that one. Even Adam? I don't like Adam at all but to see him down there surprised me. I really think it should have been Danny or Allison to leave than Matt. At least Kris is still here. Yay for Kris!! =]

sunnystarz

[47]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    adam should have know better than to choose sides.. but ryan did really lure him though, and he falls for the bait. I think everybody was surprised that Adam was in the bottom 2, but weirder thing have happen before (who knew taylor hick was an american idol, the same institution that gave us the wonderful Carrie Underwood?)

sunnystarz

[48]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    ninjasquirrel19 wrote:
    InlovewADnK wrote:
    ninjasquirrel19 wrote:
    kikimarie593 wrote:

hesonlylonely wrote:
    OrSoIThought wrote:
    I'm not sure I'm watching tonight. I don't think I can bear what they're going to do to Frank Sinatra songs. I adore Frank Sinatra, and I don't want to hear the final five ruin some of my favorite songs by changing things that do not need changed. I like them as artists, and I would hate to have something to hold against them.
    You've always got to be excited to see what Adam does, though, right? The trick is simply trying not to think about where the song came from - cut the umbilical cord from the mother that is Frank Sinatra who is feeding this young Adam Lambert. Adam Lambert's stuff is so original and captivating, he is better than all seven of the previous winners. A ninth season with twelve contestants of his caliber would be fantastic.

You're acting like Adam Lambert is God or something. Not all of the previous winners are that good, but there's no way he's better then Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. And originality doesn't always mean good.

I agree with you. Adam is alright, but there's no way he's better than Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, or David Cook.

The judges even say that this season has the most talented contestants in our top 7 now top 5 than any season BEFORE.

So Adam is absolutely better than Kelly, Carrie, and David. Don't get me wrong I love both David's from last season and Carrie is one of the very few country singers I like. And Kelly will alwayse be remembered as the first American Idol and for her song "Since You've been gone" Which is amazing.

\

They say that EVERY year.

Adam Lambert is not the best singer, but he sure can put on a great show! I think he's a great entertainer...doesn't Adam always looks nervous when he's not singing/performing?

Xannie

[49]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 6
    goodridd wrote:

I would have rather seen Adam or Danny go.

People used to say that Scott was riding the sympathy vote, now I think it's Danny.

There is no sympathy votes in the top 5

If you can't sing you are not going to be in the top 5 of American Idol.

It's ok not to like someones singing, I really can't stand Allisons voice with her adding an H to every other word but I respect other people liking her.

Stop using this sympathy vote term it's just not true.

Someone could have their entire family killed by a chainsaw killer but if they can't sing they don't get to be in this top 5.

oldsage

[50]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 9

I think reality finally hit the contestants last night. Doing a bottom 3 in a top five show was just silly, but I think it was really interesting to see where Adam places relative to Danny. Anyone who thought Danny was vulnerable should give their heads a shake. He is a different performer than Adam, and he's more popular. Accept that, take a deep breath, and move on. Of course that could change next week.

Everyone seems to want to correlate the vote results with performance quality from the previous night, but in the short strokes the peformances are almost meaningless unless someone totally bombs or forgets the lyrics.

You also have to account for the voters who support Adam but may have figured he was safe and directed their votes elsewhere to save someone else.

Now it's all about who the voters like the best. There is no doubt in my mind that the voters like Danny better than Adam. I'm not of the same mind, myself, but I've always believed that and tonight was evidence of that. The differences in talent are really negligible at this point. Danny's had the "likeability factor" from day one of this competition and it's going to take some pretty miraculous work on Adam's part to break through to the mainstream voters.

Simon said it best at the very end of the episode when he told the final four not to forget it's about the people who pick up the phones. It's always been about that.

I was very pleased when I saw Allison move to Danny's side. She so deserves to be in the final four at the very least. As I've said many times before, the theme nights have not yet played to her strengths, so the fact that she got this far is a credit to her. Next week is rock n' roll week so there are no excuses for Allison any more. This is her theme and she should be ready to give her best performance.

With regards to the theme, I've been thinking a lot about who should sing what. Rock n' roll is a very broad category. I'm not sure if they're going to put any limits on their selection. Wide-open themes like this are a blessing and a curse. Song selection is going to be a lot more of a factor this week than in previous ones.

Danny - he will likely do something that's more bluesy-rock. I was thinking maybe something by Bob Seger? Otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest more specifically than that.

Kris - should be trying to do something upbeat, but I'm still not sure that's his style. Will he pull something out of the Eagles' song book? I'm worried most about him being over-powered by the other contestants this coming week. Still, Kris has made very good song choices generally, and has proven he can hold his own.

Allison - I'm praying she does something by Heart. I think she did something earlier in the season though, so I may be disappointed.

Adam - this is an opportunity for Adam to establish himself as a glam-rock god. I could see him doing something from Queen as easily as I can see him singing Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses. I'm done trying to predict what he's going to do, all I can say is that this will be a huge opportunity to establish himself in the top three.

Looking forward to next week.

OrSoIThought

[51]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 11
    I've never created quite so long a reply thread before. I should be pessimistic quite often. Good choices on songs for the contestants to whoever suggested them right above me (I forgot to check for your name). To answer the question of whether or not Adam leaves me in suspense every week? Not so much. He's actually kind of predictable. And his being in the bottom two actually made me cheer. I love a good shocker on American Idol. I knew he was safe, but it was fun to see the unexpected occur. I don't think Danny should go home yet. He did BRILLIANTLY. He was the best performance of the night by far, and that's saying something. Adam was a little too musical theater. Don't get me wrong. It was a beautiful Broadway performance. But this was not Broadway week. Randy's right. He needs to find a way to move away from that a little although he has done a good job of that so far. Poor Matt didn't have a chance. I've thought he needed to go home for a while now. Not that he's not talented, but he lost his stride in the competition.

oldsage

[52]Apr 30, 2009

OrSoIThought wrote:
    Poor Matt didn't have a chance. I've thought he needed to go home for a while now. Not that he's not talented, but he lost his stride in the competition.

At least he went out on a high note and on a theme night that was his strength rather than on Disco night. He can have no regrets, and he'll be releasing an album soon enough.

ebony_kunoichi

[53]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 13

think reality finally hit the contestants last night. Doing a bottom 3 in a top five show was just silly, but I think it was really interesting to see where Adam places relative to Danny. Anyone who thought Danny was vulnerable should give their heads a shake. He is a different performer than Adam, and he's more popular. Accept that, take a deep breath, and move on. Of course that could change next week.

Well said! I told you guys before, when Adam camps it up people don't vote. The same thing happened during his ring of fire performance. He made the bottom. I've also read that Mr. Flamebert has a not so nice attitude and kinda developing a big head. I dont know if it's true or not, but that is what im hearing. On with the show!

The ford commercial rocked!!

Natalie Cole, who I thought was dead, sang some song off key and out of tune jazz mess. Natalie, what happened to you? She also looked a bit wobbly. Like she was on some kinda Paula Abdul drugs.

O.K. Taylor Hicks sings some bluesy crap that makes me sleepy. Once again, why did you guys vote for him? Taylor is old school. Yeah he entertains, but on an album he is just boring. I've said the same for Adam. Adam could venture down the same road. Great performer on stage, but on an album, just alright. How many times can you hear him screech on a record before it gets old???

Jaime Foxx did his thang and sang one of the most catchy songs i've heard on the radio, but i'm tired of the played out autotune fad that is going around. Jaime has a wonderful voice, but in his defense the song is slamming.

Kara says that her mouth opens everytime she sees Adam! WOW that was too funny! I was shocked that Flamebert was in the final, but like it was said above, Adam is not as popular as people think. Danny has a lot of fans out there and they may not be as vocal but they are there. Also, a lot of the Lil and anoop fans are splitting their votes between danny and Allison. I just knew allison would be on the bottom, but thank goodness she wasn't. I think that next week Allison or Kris will be gone.

Edited on 04/30/2009 7:41am

oldsage

[54]Apr 30, 2009
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

think reality finally hit the contestants last night. Doing a bottom 3 in a top five show was just silly, but I think it was really interesting to see where Adam places relative to Danny. Anyone who thought Danny was vulnerable should give their heads a shake. He is a different performer than Adam, and he's more popular. Accept that, take a deep breath, and move on. Of course that could change next week.

Well said! I told you guys before, when Adam camps it up people don't vote. The same thing happened during his ring of fire performance. He made the bottom. I've also read that Mr. Flamebert has a not so nice attitude and kinda developing a big head. I dont know if it's true or not, but that is what im hearing. On with the show!

The ford commercial rocked!!

Natalie Cole, who I thought was dead, sang some song off key and out of tune jazz mess. Natalie, what happened to you? She also looked a bit wobbly. Like she was on some kinda Paula Abdul drugs.

O.K. Taylor Hicks sings some bluesy crap that makes me sleepy. Once again, why did you guys vote for him? Taylor is old school. Yeah he entertains, but on an album he is just boring. I've said the same for Adam. Adam could venture down the same road. Great performer on stage, but on an album, just alright. How many times can you hear him screech on a record before it gets old???

Jaime Foxx did his thang and sang one of the most catchy songs i've heard on the radio, but i'm tired of the played out autotune fad that is going around. Jaime has a wonderful voice, but in his defense the song is slamming.

Kara says that her mouth opens everytime she sees Adam! WOW that was too funny! I was shocked that Flamebert was in the final, but like it was said above, Adam is not as popular as people think. Danny has a lot of fans out there and they may not be as vocal but they are there. Also, a lot of the Lil and anoop fans are splitting their votes between danny and Allison. I just knew allison would be on the bottom, but thank goodness she wasn't. I think that next week Allison or Kris will be gone.

I actually think Danny is more likely to be a recycled Taylor Hicks than Adam. Although I think Adam's future is as a Broadway star (I could name about a dozen musicals he would just blow the lid off of) he's got an interesting voice with an incredible range that I would like to hear on the radio. But let's face it.. the real money for artists is on tour rather than recording these days, so I think Adam AND Danny will be fine regardless how these final four turn out.

I think Natalie Cole sounded fine. We're all a little spoiled with perfect-sounding lip-sync'd performances, I think hearing some imperfections makes the performance more real. I've never been a huge fan, though. I wonder if she would have had a career at all if it wasn't for her father. But I digress.

I disagree with your last sentence. Although Allison is vulnerable, next week she should be in her element. I think a lot of people underestimate Kris. He's a lot more talented than people give him credit for, and just middle-of-the-road enough for the voting public. However, as I said earlier, the Rock theme might not be his strong point, but I didn't think Disco was either and he pulled that off.

angeldeb82

[55]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 12
    Oh, also forgot to mention the fact that both Danny and Allison had their birthdays (Danny: April 24; Allison: April 27), so the video showed the Idols trying to "channel their inner Martha Stewart" by making a cake, but the cake fight proved to be a disaster at the end of the video! And both birthday kids are safe in the top 2! I guess it's their lucky day for a birthday!

ebony_kunoichi

[56]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 13

Allison will be in her element next week and so will Danny, but once again I have stated this competition is less about singing and more about popularity. Someone has to go home and we all know that it aint gonna be Danny or Adam. So the lesser fan base is Allison. I would be shocked to see Kris go, but very happy. Kris is so average to me. Yes, he can sing and play a guitar, but no stage presence. If Kris wasnt cute no one would care as much.

Yes, the money is for sure in touring, but being a true American Idol is also about exposure and airplay. Anyone can tour various destinations, but most artist need the exposure in order to draw the people to see the concerts. I just don't see many people outside the AI fans flocking to buy Adam's cd's unless he has an awesome band and picks a muscial genre that will be totally generic and betraying everything about his image. Of course he could change, but I totally agree about Adam being on broadway. He would do great there, but AI is a singing competition. So i'm just going by his singing.

I know what i'm about to say will cause a stir, but....I think Clarkson and Daughtry and Cook are interchangable when it comes to music styles and I'm pretty sick of it. I'm tired of the same pop/rock music with melodic chorus' and catchy guitar riffs. I loved their albums, but 19 Entertainment is in the business of making popular music tht will sell and let the artist be darned. I just see them trying to stuff Adam into this kinda of direction and failing. They kinda tried that with Hicks.

I think Danny would be more apt to fit into the musical hole that AI wants him too. If you look at 19 Entertainments track record its the same kinds of music repeated. R&b a few times then pop or pop/rock and they did country for Carrie. What are they gonna do for Adam? Just straight rock? I'm just skeptical that they could really sell Adam correctly to the non AI masses like me.

oh BTW the segment with Allison and Danny was kinda creepy. I saw some boob grabbing for sure....

Edited on 04/30/2009 8:50am

Larexx

[57]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 11
    What's so shocking that Matt, Kris & Adam were in the bottom 3 when there were only 5 people to choose from? Seriously, the choices are very limited & a bit ridiculous that they are still having a bottom 3 in the 1st place. Just announce who got the least votes & lets move on from there! The cake baking, food fight was so fake it was stupid. A waste of time filler! I was thinking, Now who's going to clean up that mess? A $6,000 cleaning bill?!! Wow! I'd clean it for that kind of money. That cleaning service is ripping them off! Natalie Cole looked good but didn't sound that great & I've never been a fan of the quirky Taylor Hicks. They should fill the time with relevant performers in the theme for the week. Rat Pack singers this week should have been Harry Connick Jr and/or Michael Buble. I DVR the results show so that I can FF through all the BS. I'm glad Matt Giraud was sent home. It should have happened 2 weeks ago. Next week Allison & Adam should have the advantage with the Rock & Roll theme. I think Danny will do all right but Kris might be overshadowed by the rest.

buffyangel4evr_

[58]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 20
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

THANK YOU!

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought Natalie Cole was off tune and horrible. Ugh! And I was really looking forward to hearing Jamie Fox sing and all I hear is electronic distortion? Ick! Really disappointing.

Edward_Nigma

[59]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 54

kal915 wrote:
    kikimarie593 wrote:
    Oh my gosh tonight was so awesome! Both contestants that I hate were the bottom 2 with Matt going home! Yay! I love Allison, Danny, and Kris though, so I'm a little worried about next week. Now that Adam was in the bottom 2 his fans will probably step it up a little. I'd love for him to go home next, but I know that he won't.
    That is exactly how I feel! No Joke

Hah, same here (minues loving Danny...and I only love Kris by default).

I'm beyond glad Allison wasn't bottom 3 -- she deserved it. But yeah, Danny the last one to not be in the bottom 3? Um, okay then...

Hahah Ebony, I agree about Natalie Cole being boring, as well as Taylor Who? Uhh and yeah, I think all the dudes in the house are moving in on Allison (well...maybe not ALL of them) since she's all they got...but Danny might be extra lonely, and got extra touchy there.

Edited on 04/30/2009 2:12pm

stellarchick86

[60]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 32
    ^^Ew gross..can anyone say jailbait? Also, someone said something about Adam maybe getting a big head but I sort of think its Danny. The OLD Danny wouldve just laughed off the bill for $6 grand and be like yeah ok..where as last night he was like "what?! with all the money this show makes?!". I was laughing at the bluntness of it, because I was thinking the same thing, but jeez Danny take a joke, they arent going to SERIOUSLY make you pay for it!
    Edited on 04/30/2009 2:29pm