American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Rings Of Fire

diable666

[1]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 2

He did a great job. One of the most unique performance ever on idol.

I am a very big fan of Johnny Cash. I have all his albums. I bought Adam's version on i-tune and i can't stop playing it. He is so weird and scary ( goth, gay and all,lol) but i really don't mind. Queen is one of the best band ever and we all know now , Freddy Mercury was gay and over the top.

I am now hooked on this season AI. I was waiting for someone to throw me off my guards and push my musical awareness.

Good guys WATCH OUT! EVIL ADAM IS HERE!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bjbler2396

[2]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 21

I liked Adam this week too. I feel a little alone in saying that but somehow his performance was very soothing and mindwarping. Strange, but good.

-BJ

musiliu

[3]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 11
    nooooo goddamn that annoying stupid ugly gay ass b1tch!

stellarchick86

[4]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 32
    Why couldnt this just go in the Adam thread? Anyway yeah ti was great.

all4dogs

[5]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 6
    Yes...that's it! He's Queen/Zeppelin & Cash all rolled into one! I love Adam! (And, I'm not even the "fan" type!)

(don't you "love" "air" "quotes?" I could use them "all" "day." (hehe))

wodonnell102992

[6]Mar 20, 2009
    Honestly, I have been a huge fan of Adam's since the auditions, and he lost me this week. "Ring of Fire" is just a classic, like "Beat It" or "I Will Always Love You," which always kills contestants. I just didn't get the performance, he threw on these huge vocal notes that were amazing, but like Simon said, "self-indulgent." He'll have to work hard to win me back, one of the most arrogant performances I have seen on the show.

EdgeOfThorns316

[7]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 8
    Yea this version that adam did went over like a turd in a punch bowl for me.

taillow22

[8]Mar 20, 2009

It was either a love it/ hate it performance.

I LOVED it.

imthemediagirl

[9]Mar 20, 2009
    • level: 12
    i think kara summed it up perfectly by saying "it left me confused... but kinda happy".

it was one of the weirdest things i have ever seen in music. but somehow i couldn't get enough. one of my friends said he was like a snake charmer, which i TOTALLY agree with, indian background music and all. another said he thought adam was conjuring the devil, and the stage was going to erupt into flames XD. which as much as i loved it, i cant say i'd disagree with either.

Pet_Petra

[10]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 17

For me it was one of the worst performances ever on American Idol, sorry.

Edited on 03/22/2009 12:06am

90210rox

[11]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 14

Bj, you are not alone.

Adam was spot-on during the results show (a video after his performance) in saying that his performance was not for everyone, "apples and oranges" and all that. I expected there to be haters, and I'm sure he expected there to be some, too. What I like is that, even when he suspected there would be people who wouldn't like it, he didn't conform and he doesn't try to go all mainstream and crap like that. He's just himself, and that's one of the many reasons I love him. There were some Adam fans that may have become ex-fans after that performance, but there were also many people that didn't like Adam at all UNTIL Ring Of Fire and became fans.

I think Ring Of Fire was the best performance I've ever seen; it was beautiful, artistic, different, otherworldly, etc... but that's just me. We all have different tastes. I think if people haven't seen it a second time, they need to do so to confirm/form their opinion on the performance since it's the kind that you really can't just see once to really know what you think about it. If you still don't like it after that, that is perfectly fine. I've seen it about 50 times already and still love it.

Edited on 03/21/2009 5:55am

diable666

[12]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 2

I played both version for my ten years old son to listen too.

The winner is Adam's version...lol. Kids today, lol....

Fwirrel

[13]Mar 21, 2009
    • level: 52
    I am a fan of Johnny Cash and I hated Adam's version. I thought it was weird and poorly done. I like that he understands himself as a singer, but shouldn't country night songs sound like country... not like a chicken dying in the Middle East... I just hated it.

EdgeOfThorns316

[14]Mar 21, 2009
    You know i generally get pissed when people say rockers sound like someones squeezing their balls, because most of my metal is screamers....but adam truely sounded like so someone put his ballsack into a vice the way he sang that song.

stellarchick86

[15]Mar 21, 2009
    EdgeOfThorns316 wrote:
    but adam truely sounded like so someone put his ballsack into a vice the way he sang that song.

I just think he sings like that period, no matter if it was like that or the MJ song or whatever.

Basically, would I take it over the JC version? No. But I did like it and was one of my fave performances of his and I like how different it was to the original. Im glad he didnt just get up there and sing it exactly the way it was like some other boring performances (i.e. Scott, Matt, Kris, Michael..pretty much every other guy).

EdgeOfThorns316

[16]Mar 22, 2009
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    EdgeOfThorns316 wrote:
    but adam truely sounded like so someone put his ballsack into a vice the way he sang that song.

I just think he sings like that period, no matter if it was like that or the MJ song or whatever.

Basically, would I take it over the JC version? No. But I did like it and was one of my fave performances of his and I like how different it was to the original. Im glad he didnt just get up there and sing it exactly the way it was like some other boring performances (i.e. Scott, Matt, Kris, Michael..pretty much every other guy).

He could of make a rocker version of it instead and that imho would of went over better, but thats just to me I just think his flow was off, the high notes didnt fit i dont think at all.

heroesfan07

[17]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 21
    Ugh I hated it he can't sing and I hate him.

90210rox

[18]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 14

Fwirrel wrote:
    but shouldn't country night songs sound like country

No, because it wasn't exactly country night. It was Grand Ole Opry week. Sing the songs from members of the Grand Ole Opry says nothing about actually keeping the songs country. There were quite a few performances that didn't really sound country so much.

stellarchick86

[19]Mar 22, 2009
    I think it SHOULD sound like country since it was country week or whatever just like next week is motown week but if you make the song too much like the original the judges would say you werent make the song your own and comparing it to the original and bla bla. So thats why even though they may sing a song under the coutnry category they dont make it that way. I dont really think its that far. If you have a contestant who already sings country like Carrie Underwood and then someone like Adam, people are going to gravitate more to whats different and pick him vs the person whos already singing country to begin with. Thats why I think they should just pick a week and if it falls into what you want to do already than great and if not then you better study and hope you get through till next week and hope its your theme then. It has nothing to do with those who made the songs their own like Adam specifically, I just think thats what they should do. If its country week, make it sound country. If I was in the contest I would know offhand they are going to make me sing these different categories to see how I do and see different tones/ranges of my voice and Id feel like I was cheating if I made it sound different. I dont know I cant explain. Maybe thats just me though.

alirk

[20]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 22

One word: scary