American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

Scott - why is he still on the show?

alen76ers

[1]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    First of all, and I mean it in the nicest way, this isn't a show for a blind guy. Second of all, he got so far only because of the sympathy of the voters and because producers of this show want to show the public some sad stories. His vocals aren't really that good. What do you think - would he still be on the show if he wasn't blind?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ebony_kunoichi

[2]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 13

Heck naw he wouldnt even made it to Hollywood if it wasnt for the fact that he is blind. His singing is average and the song choices make me wanna puke due to the sappy cheese factor. He looks like Napoleon Dynamite without the glasses. I wish they would cut his hair or something!

Most are voting because they are amazed a blind person can sing and play the piano . Well duh Ray charles and stevie wonder did o.k. so yeah it can be done. Sometimes I hate America! Stop voting for cuteness or sympathy, sheesh. Like Kris Allen, when he sings he has stroke mouth and chicks are all over him. I just don't get it he is very average all the way around. I have a vendetta against Adam, but at least he can get up there and screech his butt off and dance around the stage like a gadfly. Granted the foundation that he wears is distracting, but at least he has a nice hair cut!

kikimarie593

[3]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 27
    I actually voted for him the night where his group of twelve performed, not because he is blind, but because I thought he did a good job. But when he made it the next night and sang his song again I immediately regretted it because he just didn't sound as good as he did the night before. And he was okay this week, but still not good enough to win or make it very far.

TBMSFriday

[4]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 9
    Yeah, it's all because of pity votes. All due respect to Scott, he's really good on the piano, and he can actually sing...well at least better then I can. But, I don't think being a frontman singer is really for him, because he can't really dance or anything. I decided he should be like a Piano Bar singer or something....I like Scott but....he's going soon...

alen76ers

[5]Mar 13, 2009
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

Heck naw he wouldnt even made it to Hollywood if it wasnt for the fact that he is blind. His singing is average and the song choices make me wanna puke due to the sappy cheese factor. He looks like Napoleon Dynamite without the glasses. I wish they would cut his hair or something!

Most are voting because they are amazed a blind person can sing and play the piano . Well duh Ray charles and stevie wonder did o.k. so yeah it can be done. Sometimes I hate America! Stop voting for cuteness or sympathy, sheesh. Like Kris Allen, when he sings he has stroke mouth and chicks are all over him. I just don't get it he is very average all the way around. I have a vendetta against Adam, but at least he can get up there and screech his butt off and dance around the stage like a gadfly. Granted the foundation that he wears is distracting, but at least he has a nice hair cut!

I got to disagree with the Adam thing. He didn't "screech". Screeching and hitting high notes in order to show your style isn't the same. I can't wait for him to do a slower song so he can prove to everybody he can sing almost anything. Do you remember when he sang "Believe" in Hollywood Week? That was really great. I hope he does something like that soon.

But anyways... I'm glad we agree about Scott.
    Edited on 03/13/2009 9:08am

ebony_kunoichi

[6]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 13

scott should be at starbucks singing some sappy slow music that he seems to pick!

I dont like men who hit high notes like they have taken a shot in the old peas and carrots. Its too theatre and chicky for me. I've said it on on other post that that is not my taste, too hair metal for me. I heard him when he sang believe. Waay to over the top and who in their right mind picks meatloaf(nathaniel "lets get physical" headband guy) or that kind of Cher club song? A little too weird for my taste.

Edited on 03/13/2009 9:33am

sylent_asassin

[7]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 26
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

I dont like men who hit high notes like they have taken a shot in the old peas and carrots. Its too theatre and chicky for me.

You should get your own show!

Scott is still around because he gets the sympathy vote, plain and simple. We all know he's not going to win the competition. He's an okay singer that produces decent vocals at best. The only reason he got this far was to bring a different dynamic and some diversity to the show... and as we all know, diversity = ratings.

Bjbler2396

[8]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 21

Even though I thought that Scott was decent this past week, I absolutely believe he is riding the sympathy vote. I think its absolutely okay if someone is blind and they're on the show, AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THE TALENT! Scott DOES NOT have the talent like most of the other contestants. Pretty much I have no problem with someone looking good, or with someone with a disability but I would only vote for them based off of their talent. I get furious with America when they vote for someone because they are "hot" or they feel bad for someone. IT REALLY ERKS me actually. Another thing that erks me is people voting for someone ONLY because they love a contestants personality, like Taylor Hicks, Sanjaya Malakar, and this year Anoop Desai. It is a SINGING competition. Everything besides the performance and singing is only a BONUS but not a reason to vote for them.

-BJ

alen76ers

[9]Mar 13, 2009

ebony_kunoichi wrote:
    I dont like men who hit high notes like they have taken a shot in the old peas and carrots. Its too theatre and chicky for me. I've said it on on other post that that is not my taste, too hair metal for me. I heard him when he sang believe. Waay to over the top and who in their right mind picks meatloaf(nathaniel "lets get physical" headband guy) or that kind of Cher club song? A little too weird for my taste.

Oh well.. That's just a matter of taste. But I loved the way how Adam changed Cher's song. I usually love when contestants change a song because it's something new and fresh, and it shows us who they are as artists. And that Nathaniel guy is really... weird.

BJ, I agree with you.

The_Cartoon

[10]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 20
    I like Scott and it's not because he's blind. I think he's got a great voice. And yes, I think he would be here even if he wasn't blind. Everyone assumes he gets votes only because he's blind which is not true at all. Plenty of people like him for his voice.

stellarchick86

[11]Mar 13, 2009
    • level: 32
    Bjbler2396, totally agree with everything you said. I dont care if someone is blind and cant dance around and sing as long as they have the vocals to back it up. Even when he sang 'Home' in Hollywood week I thought it was average but better than some so I was glad he got through. Now he sings just as good as that song and he hasnt sang anything uptempo and its starting to get boring. I think he takes the judges advice to heart when they like him being behind a piano. He can stand there and sing an uptempo song without dancing around.

myintermail

[12]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    Everything he did thus far is just bland, bland and bland. Yes, he is riding the sympathy votes to come this far in the competition.

I personally don't mind his disabilities. But he really isn't a top contender vocally.

nickel2006

[13]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 48
    I think he has a good voice, but I don't see him as the winner. There other people in the competition that have a better voice and performance than him.

Pet_Petra

[14]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 17
    Thank God I'm not the only one thinking this. He's still on the show because he's blind, plain and simple. He's not bad obviously, but I just think he's not good enough. And I don't really care that he can't dance, but when his group of 12 was singing together they all had to sit down because of him and that just looked stupid.

simpsonian100

[15]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    Well, he did a pretty good job before the Top 13 and last week he did well enough to make it through due to only 2 of 13 getting eliminated.

Butterflyagirl

[16]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 8
    I think he's still in the show because he's a GOOD singer. Maybe he's not going to win but he's a lot better than 3 or 4 people in the top 11 so I'm not surprised he got this far. Probably if Kris Allen wasn't that pretty he wouldn't have gone this far. So I think each contestant has its thing.

bonjovichick

[17]Mar 16, 2009
    alen76ers wrote:
    ebony_kunoichi wrote:

I got to disagree with the Adam thing. He didn't "screech". Screeching and hitting high notes in order to show your style isn't the same. I can't wait for him to do a slower song so he can prove to everybody he can sing almost anything. Do you remember when he sang "Believe" in Hollywood Week? That was really great. I hope he does something like that soon.

But anyways... I'm glad we agree about Scott.

Gotta continue off topic and agree with you on Adam. There will be a song when people will get he has a voice. Last year I argued with many people that David Cook was more than a gimic and he had a great voice. What did it take for people to finally agree with me.... the week he sang the song from Phantom of the Opera. He hits notes in there that were chilling. I think people get distracted by something they don't like about a person and then say they don't have a voice.

amaryllis88

[18]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 20
    Based off of the promotional photo for tonight's AI, the one that's featured on the front page of tv.com, it looks like somebody's done something different with his hair. So yay for him! I'm glad they give these contestants some stylists, you just can't perform with unruly hair.

stellarchick86

[19]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 32
    All throughout his performance tonight I kept thinking of someone saying he looks like Napolean Dynamite and I just couldnt stop laughing the whole time. If he wore glasses he should like enter in a contest lol.

gchata

[20]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 6

oh me too. God forbid that we not hurt the blind man's feelings! i am so disappointed in simon this year! he should know better than letting mediocore talent in because a sad story. scott's going to be the obama in this competition.

Pet_Petra wrote:
    Thank God I'm not the only one thinking this. He's still on the show because he's blind, plain and simple. He's not bad obviously, but I just think he's not good enough. And I don't really care that he can't dance, but when his group of 12 was singing together they all had to sit down because of him and that just looked stupid.