American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXBetween Seasons

So whos not on the Danny Wagon?

NJZ

[21]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 29
    Dulcinea1978 wrote:
    I don't know about the girls NJZ, so far Allison is the only girl that actually impressed me, I was really disappointed by most of the others so are girls really the better vocalists? I don't know but based on what we've seen here I would have to say the girls are just weaker than the guys.

I don't mean of these girls on the show. I meant in general female vocalists tend to be "better" than male vocalists. Not always, but mostly, yes. As for the girls on the show, I couldn't really say yet whether the girls are better than the guys coz we haven't really seen enough performances. I don't think the girls are weaker. Atleast, not in vocal ability. I just think that the girls (along with a few of the guys) have been choosing the wrong songs so far and not showcasing what they have. Plus, I DO think that the girls are under a LOT MORE scrutiny than the guys on this show, for various reasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[22]Mar 1, 2009
    • level: 32
    CJ42090 wrote:
    I like Danny and Adam but I hate how the show tries to pound it into our heads that we should love them and worship the ground they walk on. This is why I'm so appreciative of what Simon says because he doesn't allow himself to be caught up in all of the hype and he gives an objective opinion of their performances. Like after Danny sang and the other three judges were gushing over him, Simon came in and gave everyone a reality check. These guys are good singers but all of the hype and over-the-top praise tends to make those of us who are a bit more down-to-earth feel a little irritated and we can't help but feel a little bitter towards the people on the receiving end of the praise.

Totally agree. I wouldnt watch the show without Simon honestly. The other 3 worry too much about cheerleading and not helping out the contestants with what they did wrong where as Simon does. Randy is the closest one to doing so but usually his response is "I dont know, it just was alright for me, dawg" and thats about it. Kara usually says something like "I dont know, you need to pick a song that is about you, I mean who ARE you as an artist? You need to find your niche.." and Paula just goes on about their outfits or unicorns and butterflies so honestly if it wasnt for Simon I would hate this competition because we would get 10000 William Hungs to audition.

90210rox

[23]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 14

CJ42090 wrote:
    I like Danny and Adam but I hate how the show tries to pound it into our heads that we should love them and worship the ground they walk on. This is why I'm so appreciative of what Simon says because he doesn't allow himself to be caught up in all of the hype and he gives an objective opinion of their performances. Like after Danny sang and the other three judges were gushing over him, Simon came in and gave everyone a reality check. These guys are good singers but all of the hype and over-the-top praise tends to make those of us who are a bit more down-to-earth feel a little irritated and we can't help but feel a little bitter towards the people on the receiving end of the praise.

Well, I'm not too keen on the all-holy praising either, but I just think that's the judges' fault, not the contestants'. As far as we know, the contestants aren't paying them to act like they're the Chosen Ones, right? There's no reason to be bitter towards the contestants for the judges' praising.

flyinbrian314

[24]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 7

stellarchick86 wrote:
    CJ42090 wrote:
    Totally agree. I wouldnt watch the show without Simon honestly. The other 3 worry too much about cheerleading and not helping out the contestants with what they did wrong where as Simon does. Randy is the closest one to doing so but usually his response is "I dont know, it just was alright for me, dawg" and thats about it. Kara usually says something like "I dont know, you need to pick a song that is about you, I mean who ARE you as an artist? You need to find your niche.." and Paula just goes on about their outfits or unicorns and butterflies so honestly if it wasnt for Simon I would hate this competition because we would get 10000 William Hungs to audition.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU. Of the four judges, Simon is the only one who is ever truthful. Randy and Kara almost always repeat each other, and Paula always seems hammered.

Also, in response to the OP, I am not on the Danny wagon at all. I don't know which wagon I'm on, though. I don't mind Adam Lambert that much. When he's not singing he seems kind of annoying, but i REALLY liked his Satisfaction. Plus, his name is close to the guy who played Gordo on Lizzie McGuire!

bonjovichick

[25]Mar 5, 2009
    • level: 16
    I like Danny and Adam. But then I like Anoop and Alexis..... and most of them actually now that I think of it. There are probably three or 4 right now that i really don't care if they leave and then after that I am not sure who I will like. I need to see more of them and decide. I however never have been on anyone's bandwagon until pretty far into the show... except for David Cook. Proudly hopped right on to that one the day I heard his audition and he sang Livin on a Prayer. Nobody else ever sang Bon Jovi that didn't make me want to weep. Every other season i had to find people I liked after seeing them several times and I expect that is what I will have to do this year. Though i do really like Danny because of his personality more than voice I think but nothing to do with his story. Never go for personality for who I want to win the contest but since only Kelly, Carrie and David were the only time I thought the most talented won I guess other people judge differently.

Music4OurSouls

[26]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 4
    Hey, there...Well, cr...p I forgot your name thingy so I'll just hope you know who I'm directing this to..Haven't quite gotten down the functions in here yet! I do hope you stay w/ AI and continue writing for this season, because you've made some valid points and expressed them well, imo. Seems like Adam is very polarizing and Danny is falling off the sympathy wave. I say ditto to your post, on focusing on vocal talent. There's something to be said for stage presence and the old "it" factor as well, but I believe they need to be a trio w/ a VOICE. One of the recappers on that "other" site's forum noted that although everyone is sick of Kara's "styling" comments and "marketability" moments, it is true that the talented ones do need to sell CD's in order to be able to continue sharing their talent w/the world. To me, it's kinda like church. We want to be a part of it, wish it wasn't a business, but the truth is, that it is a business. Thanks for the opportunity to join ya'll. Best Wishes.

imthemediagirl

[27]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    i wont say im always on bandwagons because of some of the aforementioned, i loved david cook, and archuleta but just not his performances, but constantine and michael johns did absolutely nothing for me. that said, i adore both adam lambert and danny gokey but not just because everyone else does! in my opionion adam has his own thing going on which we need here, someone who can be a definable artist. and danny has VERY good vocals, whether youve heard them or not. he seems grateful, not arrogant, to me. just my two cents.

palari

[28]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 1

I haven't clambered on to any wagon. I do like Danny but I wouldn't peg him as a fave as yet. Adam gets on my nerves. He has a great singing voice, a definite point of view, he has style and he's pretty, but to me his performances are overwrought. If he manages to dial it back and just bring the songs well sung he could be okay but at the moment its all just so...harrowing.

Danny has potential. He is solid technically and knows how to interperet a song. But he has to bring it bigger and better every week if he is going to get through.

I have yet to see the third group or the wild cards, geography is a b*tch But at the moment I am liking Alexis and Allison.

Music4OurSouls

[29]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 4

I appreciate the posters in this thread - Will you guys be around tonight after the performances?? Would love to read recaps from several of you.

Palaris....I'm thinkin' we're "twin whatevers of different mothers"!!

palari

[30]Mar 11, 2009
    • level: 1
    Music4OurSouls wrote:
    Palaris....I'm thinkin' we're "twin whatevers of different mothers"!!

HaHa!! I have read your posts elsewhere and it does seem that we think alike. Well met then twin sibling!

OTH_TW_lover

[31]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 23
    Danny is my favorite this year. I missed his audition so I didnt even know his wife had died till later on so that has nothing to do with me liking him. I just think he has a good voice. I cant stand Adam.

ebony_kunoichi

[32]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 13
    I'm not on the danny wagon, but I'm certainly trotting next to it. I love his voice, but he dont hav any swagger. He is kinda dorky and I dont like his glasses, yuck! I find him kinda cute in an art museum sorta way or maybe like a horny lost puppy...I dont know! I am certainly all over the Allison Wagon(in a plutonic very legal way!) I love everything about her from her rocking choices of songs to her wild a$$ colored hair or her pig nose. I'm sold!

sylent_asassin

[33]Mar 16, 2009
    • level: 26
    Danny is good, but he's not great. I'm not really a fan, but don't dislike the guy. Because of the tragedy he endured with his wife passing, I've been subliminally rooting for him. I like to see good things happen to good people. That being said, I don't think he will win the competition. The fact is, he's the 4th best singer in the competition behind Allison, Adam and Lil and that's when he should be eliminated if there's any justice on AI.

This would have been a much better competition if Danny's friend Jamar made it instead of those two male misfits.

Monarch117

[34]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 2
    Danny is a lunatic. What kind of moron pimps out his dead wife for votes? I mean the thing with holding up her picture? Moronic.

Come on America, put the Go into Gokey.

kikimarie593

[35]Mar 17, 2009
    • level: 27

Monarch117 wrote:
    Danny is a lunatic. What kind of moron pimps out his dead wife for votes? I mean the thing with holding up her picture? Moronic. Come on America, put the Go into Gokey.

He's not trying to get votes by showing a picture of his dead wife. He's obviously sad about it and he only really talked about it at his audition. All the other times were other people talking about it.

stellarchick86

[36]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 32
    kikimarie593 wrote:
    He's not trying to get votes by showing a picture of his dead wife. He's obviously sad about it and he only really talked about it at his audition. All the other times were other people talking about it.

Exactly. And that stopped too. So seriously.

ebony_kunoichi

[37]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 13
    I guess i'm a bit more cynical and less sappy than you guys. I dont think he did it on purpose, but it was AI that was pimping the dead wife.

myintermail

[38]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 7
    My goodness, we only got a break of Danny dealing with death for one week. Now he's back though not about his dead wife, but singing a song about a woman died in a car crash.

His performance wasn't great this week. Really Paula? Carrie would BUY Danny's album? For what? As paperweights?

kikimarie593

[39]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 27

myintermail wrote:
    My goodness, we only got a break of Danny dealing with death for one week. Now he's back though not about his dead wife, but singing a song about a woman died in a car crash. His performance wasn't great this week. Really Paula? Carrie would BUY Danny's album? For what? As paperweights?

Okay first of all, Jesus Take The Wheel is not a song about death or a woman dying in a car crash. Did you even listen to the lyrics? And I agree that Carrie wouldn't buy Danny's album, but I think she would have liked his performance.

sylent_asassin

[40]Mar 18, 2009
    • level: 26
    myintermail wrote:

His performance wasn't great this week. Really Paula? Carrie would BUY Danny's album? For what? As paperweights?

Drink Coasters. I should start muting the tv when Paula starts critiquing as she rarely says anything of substance.