TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

We need a "Simon" on this show!!!

GeronimoX

[1]Feb 10, 2011
    • level: 6

Now Simon has left the show there are no more harsh judgments and for me part of the fun was seeing losers be shot down prefarably with an atombomb of a destroying comment. A bit like Wiley Coyote being shot down in his attempts to catch the illussive Roadrunner.
    I know J-Lo can be a beeatch but judging on American Idol is part of a charm offensive to boost her carreer that's in the dumps, so she won't step up. Randy's nastiest and only comment is "it was pitchy..."

Leaves us with Steven Tyler whose only Achilles' heel are beautiful women, so he's the number one candidate for the job!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SillySophie

[2]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 9
    I have surprisingly liked the new judging this season. I loved Simon but don't necessarily think he needed to be "replaced". His style of judging worked because he was also funny and knowledgeable. I wouldn't want them to bring in a snarky judge just for the sake of filling the mean judge quota that all reality shows have now.

haldrey

[3]Feb 25, 2011
    • level: 22
    No need and good riddance to the old one.

RaymondRoman

[4]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 1

New Judges, New Show. The "Simon" you require is being played but Randy, however what the Show really needed was actual credible personalities that gave the title of American Idol Judge legitimacy. Granted Randy and the other Judges had success in the business. Their appeal to the public was lacking. Even Paula was classified as a "has been" before Idol made her known again. The two new Judges bring real life experience, upfront talent and owners of their own brand.

Simon was the only really judge in the beginning, Paula was a product of a studio effort to make a star, and Randy plays an instrument. With Jennifer and Steven there is a real sense of true talent and trust not only for their judgment but their personalities are likable. The American Idol production company has Randy to continue the formula that they perceive as being the reason for the shows success. Already the new shows judges has found a quality of talent the pass shows had maybe the first three seasons. Passed show judges were casting for a type of scripted reality show that had characters whose back stories could be used to draw in votes and audience attention. The old formula chose contestants that clearly were okay, good and great. Beating on who would go first and knowing who would making it to the top three. This season the back story were chosen by the producers but the talent chosen by the judges.

You want to see "Simon", well why? If the singers don't bring it, they will go home, there is no need to read the riot act, too. The desire for pompous English ridicule is no longer a staple, that was so 2002, what we want is real good performances, at this point the judges should seat back and enjoy the show. If you want campy critiques, watch RuPaul's Drag Race.

TeineM

[5]Mar 8, 2011
    I can't believe I'm saying this but thank goodness for Randy!

I can't stand how the judges tell a contestant that they're doing great and don't even pick them to move on to the next round.

That's worse than what Simon did.

DanMcDevitt

[6]Mar 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! I would love to see Scotty do Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA" with his voice I think he would kill it hands down. The kid has a hell of a career ahead of him. I would never watch this show because of Simon. It should have been called The Simon Show. This year the judges are as talented as the talent on stage and it rocks! I am overwhelmed by how professional Steven Tyler really is as a musician and has fantastic feedback for everyone as well as Jennifer. It would amazing as well if they would get Steven, Jennifer to sing a duet while Randy plays and instrument or even work in the finalists with the judges THAT would be an excellent episode!!! Peace.

Edited on 03/17/2011 7:07am

DEVONECO

[7]Mar 18, 2011

3 reasons for "AI" ratings to fall in season 10 : 1. Steven Tyler, 2. Jennifer Lopez and 3. Randy Jackson. Poor judging is to blame for this - because the Judges are trying to keep their image clean by not criticizing the contestants for poor performances - thereby giving them the false impression that they performed well. As a result they continue to perform badly and the quality of the show deteriorates. Simon and his constructive criticisms are missed badly.

simpsonian100

[8]Apr 12, 2011
    • level: 12

These judges are too easy on contestants. I miss feedback words such as "forgettable," "karaoke," and "caboret." I see contestants who consistently perform like that, plus Simon would tell someone when they were over-the-top or cheesy. FOX was smart for picking up the X-Factor, so Idol won't have to compete with it. Simon may have insulted people, but his feedback stuck with contestants and served as motivation to improve. When Simon called a performance "brilliant" or "outstanding," it meant more than the positive feedback of the other judges combined. Idol needs a fourth judge for Season 11. Even bringing back Kara could serve for constructive criticism. I thought Kara was an excellent judge after Paula left.

HappyGirl818

[9]Apr 17, 2011
    • level: 10

I miss Simon. I didn't so much in the audition rounds, but on the live shows I find the judging to be almost unbearable. It's just driving me up the wall. All of the contestants can't possibly be "brilliant" and "genius" all the time. The judges don't necessarily need to be mean, but goodness they could at least dish out some constructive criticism every once in a while!

Nordan123

[10]May 5, 2011
    • level: 6

GeronimoX wrote:
    Leaves us with Steven Tyler, so he's the number one candidate for the job!!!

I know this was written a while ago,but mr. Tyler needs to start being a judge."That's nice,that's good" just doesn't help the show or the contestants.

Jackson is the only one who dares be constructive,kudos to him.