American Idol Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on FOXIn Season

What do people think of Paula Abdul's judging skills?

SludgeVohaul

[1]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 7

This isn't meant to be a thread about whether you like her or not, but what you really think of her judging skills/critiques.

I know the show wants to have an anti-Simon Cowell, but I usually only tune out whatever she says because I don't think she's ever truly honest with the contestants. Sometimes I feel like she tells every singer that they look great and that this is just the beginning of the road for them when it's not really true. Since she has experience as a singer and performer, shouldn't she be able to give the contestants some more "real" advice even if she doesn't say it as bluntly as Simon.

Last season when Brook White had to restart her song, Paula Abdul told her that was unprofessional, then Simon was like, well what else was she supposed to do? I agreed with Simon because when I've gone to concerts and a song starts off bad I like it when they start over so I don't feel let-down that I didn't get as a good as a performance as I wanted.

Again, I'm not trying to bash Paula Abdul, but maybe with four judges it just sticks out more that she never says anything that I personally feel is a real critique or helpful. There was an article a week ago where she said she didn't like having four judges and I thought part of it was probably when three out of four judges are saying a performance was poorly sung, she can no longer just say positive stuff because she loses even more credibility as a judge.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Music4OurSouls

[2]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 4
    Sludgevohaul,

I think you made several valid points. Was glad you took the high road when you could have easily added other observations! My primary concern w/most of Paula's critiques for now 8 seasons is her apparent desire to protect fragile egos of hopefuls at the expense of dispensing productive notes to them. So, you can figure that Simon has always taken care of that and Randy brings up the rear in balance, reason & reality with some humor when appropriate. (I obviously like Randy...and I wouldn't watch w/out Simon at this point!) Basically, I've concluded that Paula genuinely strives to be loved. Think she projects that onto the hopefuls and tries to give them what she's always wanted. Could be why she's suffered accidents, doing too much on stage, and is paying the physical price for that extra effort now. Totally agree w/your Brooke example. Again, my theory continues that since Paula so wants to "please" everyone, sometimes she goes the other way, being a strict judge - only it's not the appropriate time for the harsh assessment. Just my op - enjoyed reading yours. Don't even get me started on Kara.../but, briefly (promise) :
    Kara imho has been filling some slot the producers perceived they needed and she's probably as unhappy as the rest of us, Paula included. Last night, I noticed she focused more on singing than on shopping...finally. I'm guessing they're telling her categories to bring up to fill out the judging topics and she's not going to go for it much longer. Could be wrong...just what I'm kinda thinkin so far. Enjoyed your post! Later.

imthemediagirl

[3]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 12
    i honestly think they need her to fill the posivity aspect. simon goes realistic/negative, and randy is in the middle. kara... well.
    anyway, paula gives contestants a kind word when that might be what they need to push them. criticism doesnt motivate everyone.

Bjbler2396

[4]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 21

Paula isn't my favorite judge or anything, but I have noticed that she has improved tremendously this year with her croteques. She also has a pretty good memory.

-BJ

Music4OurSouls

[5]Mar 7, 2009
    I think you all made some good points. MHO is that a lot of viewers just don't know Paula's background and prior accomplishments and simply focus on her as some "has been" that's now a judge. I'm no rabid Paula fan, but I do respect her for all her successes and work ethic. Some night it might be cool for Ryan and tptb to fit in a retrospective on the judge's careers. Maybe then we'd all "get it" a bit better. As for Simon, I've seen bios and he worked darn hard for his place in music and he's simply real. May play up the mean image a bit for TV, but I wouldn't watch Idol without him. Kara? I'm still not sure what's up with her!

SludgeVohaul

[6]Mar 7, 2009
    I understand where the other posts are coming from on here, and the points are valid, but the more I've been thinking about this Randy and Simon are really successful men on the business side of the industry, which probably makes me repect them more. I can understand when people think Paula Abdul needs to be there to offset Simon's meanness, but have you ever noticed how the large majority of contestants care more about what Simon says than what Paula Abdul says? Many of the female contestants will say thank you when Paula compliments them, but most often, the "moment of truth" for all the contestants is what Simon says. So many contestants take Simon's judgment as the biggest compliment if he says something positive. I definitely think it's good to have Paula offset for a more positive spin, but I still think with all her success and experience that she could really help the contestants if she gave them real, true advice instead of just saying the look great.

dool_girl

[7]Mar 7, 2009
    • level: 27
    There are times when Paula's comments are like wth to me and you did make a LOT of valid points...i totally agree about Brooke White, but I do feel like she has improved and I tend to agree with her, Simon however is by far my favorite judge

Music4OurSouls

[8]Mar 7, 2009

Sludge & Last poster....

May I just say that I agree? Without Simon...well I already stated my opinion! One thing - Have you guys also noticed that Simon's harsh criticism often is what makes a contestant who's listening improve?? I respect others' op's that harshness/negativity doesn't help people; however, I've seen Simon's dose of reality make a huge difference in the longevity of some of the hopefuls during the season. I've never said this out loud - didn't want to get flogged or booted out by Simon haters - but I think Simon is obviously a "Star Maker" and that's why he's sitting there w/all the power. Doesn't hurt that he brought the show over from across the pond! He knows what he's doing and you can bet the make-up of judges and production decisions aren't made without him either. jmho.

SludgeVohaul

[9]Mar 7, 2009
    Music4...

I completely agree with you that Simon Cowell is a "star maker". On the show you notice that the crowd is just waiting for the moment to boo Simon Cowell, but I think that has just made him even more successful because people think it's a fun thing to do. I don't think they necessarily are always booing because they disagree with him either, it's all part of the american idol experience. Sometimes I have to remind myself that most of the contestants don't have much experience, so that might make Simon's advice hard to take, but the music world is very rough, so if they can't take Simon's advice, it will be very hard for them to make it in the industry either I think.

bkyle2429

[10]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 15
    Paula judging skills are just plain horrible, all she does is compliment how good they are dressed, or they are having fun blah blah blah!! When Paual was recording she was awesome she never should have quit!! Why did she quit, I never found out why? does anybody know? I mean everybody can tell that she is not 100 percent sober on the judging table in past season's!! Now I will make a little coment on Kara, she is just as bad as Paula maybe that is why this season's top 13 is horrible overall!!

Music4OurSouls

[11]Mar 8, 2009

Sludge,

Think you hit it right on.

BKyle,

I don't know how much I've read is true or not, but would encourage you to Google Paula. You might be surprised/interested to learn why she quit and why her behavior is, well, like it is. Peace.

amaryllis88

[12]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 20
    I like Paula Abdul, ever since listening to her in the 80s, (I'm thinking about her "Opposites Attract," music video..it's playing in my head), so I respect where she's come from, and her background. She does bring something to the judge's panel, and I'm trying real hard to appreciate Kara, but I just can't. I'm pretty sure Paula wants to soften it up just a bit, what with the contraversial things that have happened to her since judging on Idol...(that contestant that supposedly had an "affair" with her, the other stalker fan who killed herself in front of Paula's home), she is softening the harsh blow of reality.

They get that dose of reality thanks to Simon and Randy, sometimes I wonder what Paula is trying to tell them, like for example, when she commented on that girl's beautiful legs, that took me off guard, I was expecting her to say something about her voice, and we focus on her legs. Or last season, when she slipped and tried to say how we saw both performances of Jason's, yet the audience had only seen 1..(she was talking about rehearsals), so yeah she can be a little scatter-brained at times, but she brings the goods to the show. I like her.

nickel2006

[13]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 48
    I like Paula

sylent_asassin

[14]Mar 9, 2009
    • level: 26
    I think you mean lack of judging skills? I like Paula on a personal level. She's a sweetheart and the world needs more people with her sympathy, kindness and compassion, but a judge she is NOT. She rarely offers anything substantive in regard to thoughtful critique for the contestants. Telling someone "You're beautiful" and "You're a star" offers next to nothing. Sometimes I really feel for her when she rambles on like that blithering Miss Teen South Carolina. I put my face in my palms, peek through my fingers and eagerly await the next judge or the American Idol theme to put her out of her misery. It's like the synapses in her brain aren't firing and she looks dazed and confused as a result. What really gets me is when she mirrors Simon or Randy's critique; it's like she can't think for herself sometimes and needs a mental boost from whomever goes first.

myintermail

[15]Mar 10, 2009
    Ah... Paula. Part of the show's utter mess.

In the beginning of the show I liked her encouraging words. But now I hate her talking about empty praises. She can babble all she wants in her judging, ranging from the contestants' clothes, looks and song choices, anything BUT the actual singing. When she actually comments about singing, she rants and rants endlessly, often with awkward pauses.

And no, I am not a fan of her all cheering and dancing whenever a guy sings something upbeat. This just proves her ineligibility to judge.

I remember there is another thread that comments about Paula. Boy did we made fun of her.

Music4OurSouls

[16]Mar 10, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:

They get that dose of reality thanks to Simon and Randy, sometimes I wonder what Paula is trying to tell them, like for example, when she commented on that girl's beautiful legs, that took me off guard, I was expecting her to say something about her voice, and we focus on her legs. Or last season, when she slipped and tried to say how we saw both performances of Jason's, yet the audience had only seen 1..(she was talking about rehearsals), so yeah she can be a little scatter-brained at times, but she brings the goods to the show. I like her.

Hi, Amaryllis -

Well said...all of it - Just edited for space. I'm not so sure..perhaps Paula's behavior started that whole "It is what it is" phrase. Tho' I think I heard it first on Top Chef!

Just noticed your sigs:
    I love Criminal Minds. Did you know the lead lives in San Antonio? Later, my friend...best wishes for a great performance Tuesday!

amaryllis88

[17]Mar 10, 2009
    Music4OurSouls wrote:
    Just noticed your sigs:
    I love Criminal Minds. Did you know the lead lives in San Antonio? Later, my friend...best wishes for a great performance Tuesday!

Would that be Joe Mantegna (Agent Rossi) or Thomas Gibson (Aaron Hotchner)? That's a cool factoid to know!

Music4OurSouls

[18]Mar 11, 2009
    amaryllis88 wrote:
    Music4OurSouls wrote:
    Just noticed your sigs:

Would that be Joe Mantegna (Agent Rossi) or Thomas Gibson (Aaron Hotchner)? That's a cool factoid to know!

That would be Thomas Gibson....he & family (last I heard) have a beautiful home in one of our most special neighborhoods - Homes dating back to the 20's, I think. Certainly the 30's. They are fabulous - Have a Christmas tour every year through many of them. The area has been reclaimed and most everyone has honored original architecture in the rehabs. Very special area and very special residents. Lots of them have maintained generational ownership. The low-key types who just enjoy normal stuff and appreciate true beauty.

amaryllis88

[19]Mar 11, 2009
    Music4OurSouls wrote:
    That would be Thomas Gibson....he & family (last I heard) have a beautiful home in one of our most special neighborhoods - Homes dating back to the 20's,

That's very cool! I love homes that are old, their architecture is definitely a unique style, and hard to come by these days, with all the modernization that has come to home-building.

PropsToRyan

[20]Mar 24, 2009
    • level: 3
    shes so cool!