American Idol

Top 6 Perform

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Apr 25, 2006 on FOX

7.7
  • Why I watch the show!

I think that Kellie has done both back to back
    Awful jobs at singing as someone in this post
    Has mentioned. She needs to really get another fine performance in
    Or else she will be next to go as she is already on the chopping block
    Though I love Chris' performance as he sung great
    Paris was not that good nor neither bad!
  • double-post, sorry.

OK Kat, I admit that you can sing and that you've cleverly made Whitney's song your own. You didn't go off-key, you successfully managed the pitch problems and you were unfairly treated by the judges. But please don't put that agitated and defensive look next time they're talking to you, OK?? It creates an impression that you feel you're better than they think, and it doesn't look good even when it's true. And looking around at your fans and winking at them for support really doesn't make you any humbler either. But America loves you, and you do well indeed, so maybe it's not going to be a problem. And your duet with Andrea was nice too.

Next come Elliott. He sounds so powerful and soulful tonight that Paula's moved to tears. Foster was hard on the finalists and I think it brings the best in them. Then comes the nightmare that is Kellie Pickler. Even Foster said she sounds like a robot. Ouch. Her falsetto in the middle of Unchained Melody sounded shrill and painful, and she repeats it again tonight. The only good thing is one long powerful note that happens before the high pitch. Even Paula doesn't have anything nice left to say. Poor Kellie...she looks as if she almost cry when Simon bashes her unmercifully for butchering his favorite song. Luckily the music cuts him off.

Ah, Paris. The only girl with most powerful voice left. Even Andrea admits she has vocal range as good as his. I had hoped she would sing Kat's song, but alas, she picked the oldest and most boring song after Kellie's Unchained Melody. Paris sang Babs Streisand's The Way We Were, and even though she impressively belts out the notes in the second half of the song, the first half is so boring I almost fell asleep. Randy and Paula are only lukewarm about it and Simon doesn't care. One thing is certain though: that girl can hold notes longer than Kat without going pitchy or off-key. Too bad she never gets the recognition she deserves: she can sing as good as Whitney and will still end up in the bottom 3. Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but that's the truth. Apparently people weren't impressed at all with her magnificent rendition of These Foolish Things.

Taylor sings one of the songs I often hear, but his performance is bland compared to previous ones. His vocal's OK, but not so wowing compared to others. IMHO he should be in the bottom 2 instead of Paris. Hmm the judges are uncharacteristically harsh tonight. And Simon looks so PISSED when he's cut off again, this time by Paula, who apparently forgot to take her medicine again.

Lastly, Chris. Andrea and Foster give him great advice of rehearsing while lying on the floor. That allows him to sing from the diapraghm instead of his throat (gasp! you're a singer and you don't know about that?). It makes great difference and it shows tonight, although I wince a bit when he belts out his rocker voice a bit in the middle. God what's with Paula tonight...at one point she cries, at another she bickers with Simon and now she proclaims her love for Chris.

overall, not as classy as last week, but still OK.
  • Katharine sang the song I had hoped Paris would sing, and successfully delivered it in her own way. Unfortunately the judges were de-pimping her. Paris was good but the song was pretty boring, while Chris raises the bar.

6.1

overall, not as classy as last week, but still OK.
  • The Top 6 Finalists take on America\'s classic love songs, with a little help from Andrea Bocelli and David Foster.

After last week\'s episode, I thought the performances would get better. It looks like I was kinda wrong. I thought AI took a step back on this one.

Katharine sounded phenomenal, but I gotta agree with Simon, the song was too big for her.

Elliot was also great, though it didn\'t really move me to tears like it did Paula. I don\'t know if she\'s just over-acting or whatever.

Kellie\'s could be described in three words - boring, rigid, and monotonous.

Taylor was also okay, but I thought he was a little pitchy during the low parts of the song. But he\'s still awesome.

Paris looked great - the best look she\'s had this season. Her singing was great too, but I can\'t help but think she\'s starting lose her star quality.

Chris is the man! He rocks my socks!

I think Kellie will get the boot.
  • Chris takes another step forward and Kellie trips up for good.

The good ones (Chris, Elliot and Kathrine) are starting to distance themselves from the rest and Chris looks like the strong frontrunner. Kellie was horrible for the second straight week and should be the next one to leave. She has proven that she can sing one style, but is not at the level that the eventual champion needs to be. If she stays on after that performance, I will be disappointed that American Idol has become a popularity contest instead of talent contest.
  • Idol didn't do it for me so much this week

7.8
    I am not sure what is going on with Idols sound technitions, but they kept messing up the mixing of the sound which made the music and vocals static and adjust in volume levels. You would think that if a competition, that relies on the votes of its viewers and is all about sound. The quality would be perfect. As for the Idols...I think they all did okay. Catherine took a hard song, and she did okay, but that girl is beautiful and charming. I think the boys are taking the cake this year. Some good male vocal this year and I am a big Taylor fan.
  • What is up with Paula?

I thought overall the performances were okay. I liked most of the songs picked and think they did a good job. Okay now onto Paula. Can anyone guess who she's pulling for to win the show this season. She is acting more and more ridiculous every week, instead of extending her contract FOX should be looking to fire her. Even Simon couldn't keep a straight face while she was going off the deep end. I did think overall the judges were a little too critical. I'm personally routing for Taylor, there is just something about him. Hopefully he'll win it but I would be shocked if he did.
  • American Idol just jumped the shark

1.3
    What an incredibly awful night of "entertainment." What clueless high powered executive thought this would be a great night of tv? Whoever that was, he should be found now and shot..repeatedly.

Every single performance was borderline awful with Kelly and Taylor really standing as the stink-factor mounted. While Elliot, Paris and a dorky looking Chris did just barely enough to survive. My pick for most interesting performance was Katherine McPhee's dress, no not her, HER DRESS. Did anyone else see her boobs about to pop out and her undies on full display? Her singing was only OK, but gotta love that dress.

In conclusion, I think we may look back on this night in 2 to 3 years and say this is the night American Idol officially jumped the shark. I pray next week is not "best of Kidz Bop" or some similar theme, cause if it is I may not watch anymore this season. SHEESH.
  • Out of a night of average performances, Chris shined above the competition proving that he deserves a spot in the finals.

I haven't done a performance show review in a while, but since we are down to 6 performers, I thought it wouldn't be too hard to write down what I think about tonight's episode.

I think having a love songs theme right after the Great American Songbook theme wasn't the smartest idea. Two themes with slow songs back to back leaves to some very unexciting performances.

Anyway, Katharine opened up the show very well, despite what the judges had to say. I don't always agree with them about their evaluations with Kat. I thought she sang lovely, and performed the song with a lot of passion. At least just as good as Vonzell's version of I Have Nothing last season.

Elliott was next with A Song For You, and although it seems like his performances are all the same, I thought he once again had a great vocal. Though I don't know how much longer his voice alone is going to carry him through the competition, but it should at least buy him one more week.

Kellie seriously needs to get the boot after her performance of Unchained Melody. I agree with Simon, it was like the song that would never end. I'll give her props on her high note, but that's all I'm giving her. The rest of the 1 minute 29 seconds of the song was excrutiating. Please, America, take me out of my misery!

Paris did okay today. She's had much better performances, but she's got such a powerful voice that she can sing anything. Her performance of The Way We Were was pleasant.

I love Taylor, and love everything he sings. Like Paris, he's had better performances, but Just Once was still very good. It was a lot like last week, where it got better at the end.

Chris closed out the show, very well might I add, with Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman. The past few weeks, he has proven that he can be more than just an outstanding rocker. Tonight, his performance gave me chills, and seeled his fate to the top 2 at least.

So all in all, the show wasn't as good as last week, but much better than some of the earlier themes. Hopefully Kellie is the one to be eliminated, but like us Constantine fans know all to well, anything can happen at the top 6. Just one last thing: if the show is running out of time, just cut out the commercials instead of rushing the last great performances!
  • Paula was, once again, either drunk or doped up. Although, I haven't ruled out early onset dementia. Forget the contestants, she's the real wild card

Boring performers be damned, Paula has become the real show on American Idol. She stopped making sense a long time ago, but things have heated up with the other hosts shining a light her obviously altered state. She's higher than Whitney, and it's fun to watch.

I'd like to comment on the performances, but I tuned them out. This is truly the season of Paula-meltdown. It's only a matter of time before she starts speaking in tongues or dancing with invisible animated cats. Enough snark. This episode left a lot to be desired. Boring songs and poorly paced programming reeked of lazy production.
  • Well the love songs made me cry...but not for the reason you'd think.

Wow, let me just say that I really miss Rod Stewart. This week was extremely boring (I had a feeling it was going to be after I heard they were doing love songs). First up was Katharine. I don't think she did as bad as the judges made it sound. It was a little big for her, but she did ok. But then again I'm biased, so I'd say anything to keep her in the competition. She's incredible. Next was Elliot. Wow, I love that boy. He is so amazing. A lot of my friends say, "Well I just don't care too much about him. He doesn't do anything for me." Ummm, yeah, they're totally tone deaf. Anyone who can make Paula Abdul cry deserves his props (then again, something was up with Paula tonight. Can I have some of what she's on??). I swear if he goes home tomorrow because he doesn't have the "likability" factor, I'll be quite angry. Kellie, one word: Ouch. I think it's about time to say goodbye to America's Sweetheart. Poor Kellie is struggling to find her place. The only theme she seems to handle well is country. I really like Kellie, but I swear she deserves the bottom three this week! Paris was ok. I like her, but the song was kind of boring. She sang it well though. She has some pipes, that's for sure. Taylor didn't do so hot. I miss my dancing buddy! He did so much better in the clips they showed of him. He does have a great voice, just bad song choice I guess. Chris blew me away. I totally see him winning this thing. It's just amazing the connections he has with the songs he chooses. Paula was right to be standing up, clapping like a seal shouting, "I love you!". A very boring week (except Chris and Elliot), but then again, I'm not the "mushy" romantic type. As for who the bottom 3 should be: Kellie (if she escapes it again I'll be forced to bang my head on a wall until I'm unconscious), Taylor (bad song, but he should stay a little while longer), and it's a tossup between Paris and Katharine (because neither one of them was really bad, but Chris and Elliot should be the top places for the night).
  • Man...this week was worse then the "Stevie Wonder" week...

6.1
    Almost everybody did not sing well. The only people that actually did sing well were Chris and Paris. They picked horrible songs and they should have picked a better catagory. Something that could intrest the young people of America...not the old people that listen to old love songs by a guy who is blind. I mean the vocals were good, but they could have picked songs that are more popular. A better catagory would have been Televison Theme Songs. The judges were ok at judging, saying that some people were good when they really were. Randy and Simon were making their normal coments and Paula didn't talk about the singing.
  • The judges and I are not on the same page for this episode.

Katharine- Amazingly, droolingly awesome. I haven’t been this awestruck since Kelly Clarkson sang “For a Moment Like This” / What the heck? The judges didn’t like it? I must be deaf or something, but I totally loved it.

Elliott- The beginning and middle were pretty good, but he went flat near the end. / OMG, Paula cried. Alright, so I definitely am deaf if I didn’t like it as much as the judges.

Kellie- I really liked it. / Once again, I am having battles with the judges. It obviously wasn’t the best singer ever, but it was still pleasant to listen too.

Paris- She’s way, way, way too young to be singing this song. And she looks really old. tonight But she still sang great. / LOL. Simon gave a short comment.

Taylor- Um, honestly, I was a little busy so I didn’t get to pay attention to him / But the judges didn’t seem to like it, so that means I would have loved it. And Paula needs to stop interrupting Simon.

Chris – He’s a lot better than last week / But Paula liked it way too much. She needs to stop jumping up like that.

Overall, a lot of technical sound problems in the background. And I hope the judges and I don’t disagree so much next week.