American Inventor

Episode 106

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Apr 20, 2006 on ABC

7.1
  • Three semi-finalists compete to make it into the final round so they can win the one million dollar American Inventor prize.

American Inventor is finally getting to the meat of the show. The 12 semi-finalists are now going head to head three at a time.

And man, I gotta say this episode threw me. I thought that the Sackmaster invention was going to win - but never underestimate a guy from Detroit. And never be in a competition to improve your invention and let the cameras film you swimming in a pool. You gotta play the game- but I do like the invention.

Okay - the un-brella the in-brella - the not-so-brella - it is a great idea BUT Sheryl, the inventor, got stuck with the wrong design team They couldn\'t pull off the engineering in the short time allotted. But I got faith in that product, it just didn\'t get to the finals.

Erik, the coolest guy on the show, was a factory worker and now a trainer and gym owner in the tough city of Detroit. Erik invented a great invention of a football catching device and his original prototype improves kids football skills. And for kids the city, football playing can be the way they can get into college with a scholarship. Erik\'s original prototype was put to the test and succeeded.

American Inventor judge Ed Evangelista rightfully chose Erik to move onto the finals.

• The first hour was complete garbage. The second hour was exactly what I was hoping to see.

The first hour was a complete waste of time. They basically used it as a giant promo for the second hour, which was the continuation of the series (as opposed to that waste of time in the first hour). Thank God I wasn't watching live.

As for the second hour: Finally, an episode that didn't REVOLVE around the drama that the judges & producers have been focusing on all series. Yeah it was still there, yeah the networks' opinions of what interests Americans suck, but at least there was some substance too this time.

Seeing the three inventors working with the professional engineers & designers was a nice change of pace. It's a glimpse into what is necessary to take someone's idea and make it a realization. It would've been nice to have seen more of that process, but I doubt that would help sell more ad time. Damn you, Nielsen Media Research! Why can't you just lie and tell networks that we watch GOOD shows? (And yet here I am spending my time writing about American Inventor...)

Yet, there still remains NO WAY for this series to attain the lofty goal they set out to do in the first episode: None of these inventions will change our lives. Their best chance at that still resides with the infant car seat, which needs a whole lot more engineering. Sigh... Well, at least ABC doesn't call itself "The Learning Channel" and then only teach us how to decorate our homes or soup up our rides. (Random diss!)
  • It seemes American Inventor has lost its spark...

Over the past few episodes, American Inventor hasn\\\'t been doing too well. Simply because not enough people are on. I mean, think about it. We\\\'ve got ten people left. Whopee! It\\\'s going to get extremely boring, watching people waste their $50,000. The show will do alot, and I mean alot better when they start season 2, with new inventions. But, for now, I think the show has gone from a 10/10 to a 1/10. This is only my point of view, though. Feel free to have your own! Well, that\\\'s all I can say for now.

~Perry (School\\\'sout13) See ya!
  • Very uneventful episode, much like the series

3.5
    I had high hopes for American Inventor based on all the hype surrounding the new ABC show. Coming from Simon Cowell, of American Idol fame, I expected more. I hoped that after all of the pathetic attempts at inventions had been weeded out in the first few rounds, the $50,000 would help kick start greatness. However, I was disappointed to see that the Un-Brella was Un-Impressive, the SackMaster 2000 should've been 'bagged' before it started, and the Receiver's Training Pole couldn't train itself out of a paper bag. The biggest problem I have with these inventions is that none of them are practical. Especially the SackMaster, Did anyone bother to ask what would happen when the sand got wet?!? Oh, I don't know, during a flood or something perhaps some of the sand for the bags might contain at least some moisture and clump the sand so bad it won't work. I won't even bother starting on the un-brella and training pole. Maybe a little..one is too clumsy to be used by average consumers and the other shakes so much it not only is counter-productive, but just looks silly on an otherwise serious sport. American Inventor is like a car crash you just can't look away from. Maybe someone should try to invent a better concept for a reality show! Check please!
  • If you ask me, Ed made the right choice.

7.3
    I\'m really not sure who I would have enjoyed seeing win this round. Mark Martinez\'s Sandmaster 2000 is a great invention and he had the passion and spirit to go along with it, but Erik\'s invention would get more use, I think. There\'s a much larger chance of it selling. It was hard, though, to see Mark have to tell his family that he didn\'t make it. And I really felt bad for the girl with the InBrella. It wasn\'t her fault that the company didn\'t have the prototype ready. It was too late for her to do anything about it. In the end, though, I feel Ed made the right choice to advance to the final four.

And what was up with that 68-year-old man and his smoking gun? Wierd...