American Inventor

Episode 109

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 04, 2006 on ABC

• How cool was the winning invention? (SPOILER)

This episode showed why I decided to start watching this series. Well, mainly just the focus on Janucz's invention.

First, I'll acknowledge the non-winners: While unsophisticated, Sharon's kit will most likely become a mass-market seller and her husband will be able to retire early after all. Though I'm a guy, I know that I'm glad I don't have to sit down in every public restroom I go to.

And the Safuto's invention solved a problem. I don't think it's a problem for most of us; but sure, I can see how the infirmed & elderly would benefit from it.

But the gem was the "Anecia Survival Capsule". If Janusz really can finish the tweaks needed for a real product ... then man, what an invention. From the first moment that he demonstrated it in round one, I thought it had a lot of potential. The cosmetic prototype we saw in this episode looked not only really cool but also feasible; and I saw Doug Hall commenting on an independent blog that it is actually smaller than it looked on camera.

I wish they went into more detail about the engineering that happened over the 3-month period. To take that concept prototype and turn it into THREE models - one cosmetic and two for crash testing (remember he told the one mechanical engineer to try one approach while he tried his own) - had to require a lot of work. I can only imagine the amount of whiplash that this invention will prevent (which is the major source of trauma to infants in car seats).