We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

American Inventor Forums

ABC (ended 2007)

How Did That Toilet-Seat Thing Make It So Far?

horaceholly

[1]May 7, 2006
    • level: 3

I really don't understand how that toilet-seat thing made it so far in the competition.  It's based on an idea that is total bunk -- flushing a toilet does not cause your bathroom to have any more germs floating around than can be found in the rest of the house.  Those crazy kids on Mythbusters performed a well-designed experiment to test the idea that toilets spread germs, and they found it to be a myth.  Whatever germs are in your bathroom come from the stuff just naturally floating in the air.  Having a frequently used toilet in close proximity does not have an impact on the number of germs.

I admit that there are products out there that are based on disproven ideas -- air ionizers, anyone?  But somebody on the show should've acknowledged that the product, if developed, would be preying on people's ignorance and germophobia. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Rattrap007

[2]May 8, 2006
    • level: 14
    plus i found their "experiment" a little dubious. They tested a bathroom for germs. Then disinfected it and brought in the new seat lid. Then the NEXT DAY they come back and retest the bathroom.

So basically it had a week to months worth of bacteria (depends on how often the guy cleans) vs. 1 day worth of germs. Of course it will be less.

horaceholly

[3]May 8, 2006
    Right you are, Rattrap.

pinto_believer

[4]May 8, 2006
    • level: 7

horaceholly wrote:

Those crazy kids on Mythbusters performed a well-designed experiment to test the idea that toilets spread germs, and they found it to be a myth.

To elaborate (in agreement), they tested the growth of fecal coliform bacteria in toothbrushes. They had toothbrush holders all over the bathroom and would wet each one with clean water every day, to simulate normal usage. They then had people use the restroom as usual throughout the week. At the end of the week, the brushes had traces of the bacteria ... but so did the control! They had a brush in a totally different room that was always covered (when they weren't giving it it's daily wetting) - and even it had grown some fecal coliform bacteria on it by the end of 1 week! The moral of the story: The stuff is just impossible to eliminate without having to scrub your bathroom with antibacterial disinfectant every day.

horaceholly

[5]May 9, 2006
    Yes -- thanks for the details, Pinto.

safuto

[6]May 10, 2006
    • level: 1

This is Joseph Safuto of pureflush.  Toilet Aerosols are not a myth. Anyone with a compromised immune system should be aware that there are dangers. Please don't take my word for it: go to www.pureflush.com I've put 5 scientific papers on there for anyone to review.  I have not edited them.

Mythbusters confirmed that there is a toilet spray that lands on toothbrushes, etc. Inside the bathroom and just outside the bathroom. Fecal Coliform is not pleasant if your elderly, Pregnant, a child Under 5, have diabetes, HIV positive, etc. 36,000 people each year die from influenza. Most have compromised immune systems. 

I've been studying this for more than 5 years since the death of my Mother at 67 and I wouldn't mislead you. I'm only here to help.

Please e-mail me anytime at safuto@pureflush.com with questions, etc.

Thank You.

srlpj

[7]May 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    Are the videos you showed using a typical modern toilet, or an older toilet? How were those videos shot?

philly_phenom

[8]May 15, 2006
    • level: 8
    I agree - we've had indoor plumbing for how long? How many people get ecoli from their toothbrush?

I have no clue how these guys decide who gets to advance & who doesn't. A doll advances, but they completely ridicule a guy with a new alternative to the pooper scooper.

I guess the judges either don't have pets or they can afford to have other people walk their dogs, but the rest of us have to pick up our dogs poop when we walk them.

Not saying that one should have advanced to the finals (or to the final 12 either), but the completely smacked that guy down as if his idea was idiotic, but they advance a talking doll? A toilet seat? A plastic clip for stall doors? gimme a break.

bbagnall

[9]Jul 27, 2007
    • level: 4

I agree, the doggie poop thing was a great invention. I know a guy who uses plastic bags to do the same thing. Basically when the dog is ready to poop (while walking it) he puts the bag under. It can get messy though. The pooper thing (if easy to walk with) would be great.

Also the fart pad seemed like a good idea. People who have smelly farts can be social rejects or nervous about going out in public. That thing basically stops any embarassment, so I could potentially see a market for it. I don't see why they ridiculed it.