American Inventor Forums

ABC (ended 2007)

To the kid with the dog air conditioner...

just_a_comment

[1]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 1
    Normally I don't comment on these blogs, but I wanted to write anyway on the off chance you read it.

I think your invention has great potential, but it needs an added safety feature:

Put a thermometer in the device to gauge the temperature in the car. Then have a remote monitor that the dog's person can take with him that lets him see this temperature. If the temperature reaches or exceeds your predetermined "safe" temperature, then the monitor should beep. Ideally, the monitor would be small enough to fit on a keychain with the car keys.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CamaroChevySS

[2]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 4
    Why would you leave a dog in the car too begin with? The kids heart was in the right place, but like the one judge said, you can't win them all. Still, I felt bad for him

ruairi_irish

[3]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    That poor kid. What asses the judges are. They crushed his dream. Plus, his invention was very good. He never said the device was so that you could leave dogs in the car for long periods of time, it could be for someone who has the dog and needs to run in and pick something up at the store quickly. Plus like he said, it could be used in dog houses, etc. It was a good invention and I would buy one for my dog. The judges that said no have no heart. The british man, who said yes to that stupid tree trimmer but said no to this. What an idiot.

Baucon_Batista

[4]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 6
    I thought he was going to advance for sure, judging by how kind they were to him at the beginning.

antdude

[5]Mar 17, 2006
    • level: 27
    At least that bald guy came to tell him to keep trying, talked to his mother, etc. I hope we see this kid back. He can win with something else.

ShowsIWatch

[6]Mar 17, 2006
    antdude wrote:
    At least that bald guy came to tell him to keep trying, talked to his mother, etc. I hope we see this kid back. He can win with something else.

Yup, at least he did that.

I agree with the judges though, the invention absolutely sucks.

At least with the rejection, the kid will be really motivated which should work in his favour, hopefully.

3BennyBooms

[7]Mar 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    The following opinions come from your ordinary consumer, and someone who doesn't own a dog.

He has great ambition and it is clear that he is quite clever, however this particular invention just plain sucked. I realize that in the further rounds they will be able to further tweak their ideas, however "a doggy air conditioner" is so gimmicky, and I cannot see it being widely used. It is one of those gadgets the try to push on those annoying infomercials.

There would be so much hassle in order to set it up. Will it need batteries? Do I have to plug it in my car's AC outlet? I have to fidget with my cars windows to get it to work? To be honest with you, I would not leave my car unattended with a window down.

It just won't work.I'd have to agree with the judges decision.

ShowsIWatch

[8]Mar 17, 2006
    3BennyBooms wrote:
    The following opinions come from your ordinary consumer, and someone who doesn't own a dog.

He has great ambition and it is clear that he is quite clever, however this particular invention just plain sucked. I realize that in the further rounds they will be able to further tweak their ideas, however "a doggy air conditioner" is so gimmicky, and I cannot see it being widely used. It is one of those gadgets the try to push on those annoying infomercials.

There would be so much hassle in order to set it up. Will it need batteries? Do I have to plug it in my car's AC outlet? I have to fidget with my cars windows to get it to work? To be honest with you, I would not leave my car unattended with a window down.

It just won't work.I'd have to agree with the judges decision.

I agree with you 100%. Isn't it just easier to leave the AC on if you were to leave your dog in the car, which you shouldn't be doing anyways.

Also, the whole idea just reminds me of one of those computer case coolers that have the same thing. One fan blowing out, one fan blowing in. What he did was just take the idea and make it bigger to fit into a car door.

It's great that he was able to come up with the idea and build the product, but it isn't a very good one. I'm sure with his drive and determination, he will eventually become succesful at whatever he does.

mcrules4191

[9]Mar 18, 2006
    • level: 14
    I liked his invention and his heart was in the right place but he probably should not have made it pitched to dogs. He should have madi it for everyone to use instead. Oww well you did great kid.

JShirek

[10]Mar 19, 2006
    I thought this kid's invention is a wonderful idea. I have looked for something like this in the past. It is increasingly more common to travel with your pets. As it is now, if it is a very hot day and we have to enter a restaurant, we leave the car running with the air conditioner on in order to keep our pets safe while dining.

Of course, you try not to have to leave them in the car, but there are instances when it is necessary. Even when you stop at a rest stop. First, of course, I would take the animals out to relieve themselves. If I need to use the restroom, I must again leave the car running. I have two Greyhounds and a Dachsund. It is not easy taking them in a bathroom stall with you.

I felt this was a very practical invention and it could actually save pets lives. I thought the judges did not ask enough questions. I wanted to know if it had temperature control. How is it powered. Is it solar or does it plug into the auxillary outlet in the car. I have seen products that you can put in your window that has a fan and circulates the air but does not cool.

In light of some of the other inventions that was passed through, I thought this kid was ripped off.

Ssquarepants

[11]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 10
    The kid was a baby.

xlunatick

[12]Mar 24, 2006
    Theres already a patent on that type of invention.

Check out the kid's audition at

american-inventor.com

SherlockzMom

[13]Mar 24, 2006
    I agree with you 100%. I would love to have one of these. We take our dog with us everywhere and would love to have the option to run into the store together for a quick trip without worrying about the temp in the car. As it stands now we just go in one at a time or skip the trip.

Your idea to add a temp. monitor and alarm is great and could also include an alarm of some sort if someone attempted to break into the car by removing the device from the window.

How often do you see tiny dog owners bringing in their dogs to the store in their coat? Often. Too bad we can do that with our great dane.

movethatbus

[14]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 15
    i thought it was a good idea but only under the standards that the kid is 14
    he was cute when he said that you need a kid cuz its good tv tho

if it was a kids invention comp., he would have made it but hes competing against adults who just plain have better ideas

hes prolly gonna be famous for some invention...when hes older

lhotkami

[15]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    This product can also be used to keep your car cool when you are at work, or anywhere. I think it is a very great idea. I would love to get off work and come to a cool car.

CaptainMidnight

[16]May 24, 2008
    • level: 51
    It wasn't a new idea. Companies have been selling solar-powered ventilation fans that hook onto car windows since at least the 1980s. I know I've seen them in tons of catalogs including Sharper Image, Sporty's and Brookstone in the past. And they're better designed to fit in the gap so it's not as noticeable and nowhere near as huge as the version the kid had. Google "solar car ventilation" and you'll get a ton of results.