American Inventor Forums

ABC (ended 2007)

Who will win? Football, bicycle, game, or car seat?

KenLayton

[1]May 4, 2006
    • level: 1

Out of the final four inventions which do you think will win? This is what I think will be the choices:

Football thingy: good idea, wouldn't cost too much to manufacture, would be very helpful in schools, but I don't know how well it would sell. Possibly might win though. I like the concept.

Bicycle 2nd rider unit: an ok idea, but I don't think it would catch on. Definitely won't win.

Word Ace: the game market is saturated already and this would be a real tough sell. Most of the manufacturing could be done in China to keep costs down though. Definitely won't win.

Car seat: this is brilliant! Nothing like it anywhere. I think if the manufacturing costs could be kept in line and more design improvements made along with more testing this will be really big. I think alot of parents would buy this for their children. This will be the winner!

Well, now we wait a couple of weeks and we will see how I did with my predictions. What does everyone else think.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

amydot

[2]May 5, 2006
    I agree. With the proper design improvements, primarily including making it MUCH smaller and able to easily fit in a standard car, I think the car seat will win.

Burning_October

[3]May 5, 2006

Well, I want the Word Ace to win (because I want it!), but the car seat will probably be the winner.

miss_wierd

[4]May 5, 2006
    • level: 13
    I think and hope that the baby car seat will win!!! Yeah it is brilliant!!!

xbox360gamer46

[5]May 5, 2006
    well america is voting and you guyz get to choose

KoalaQueen17

[6]May 5, 2006
    • level: 8
    How do we vote?

I really like the Word Ace and the car seat! I wouldn't have a problem if either one of those won.

Pistol_Star

[7]May 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    Yo, that guy wit dat crunk car seat got crazy on those foos!

He gonna win that !@#$% competiton! YEAH BI-OTCH!!!

*sorry about that, gangster time *

Rattrap007

[8]May 6, 2006
    • level: 14
    My money is on that car seat.. Spectacular idea. Incredible looking. If he doesn't win then i hope the football thing... aww heck anyone of them deserves to win.

MetallicremA

[9]May 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    I hate the spoiler in the title.

suplex2000

[10]May 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    Who will win?  Well probably the car seat, but guess what?  For the other three inventions to make it as far as they did, who is to say you won't see all of them on the market someday?

Just because it didn't win at American Inventor, doesn't mean it has not received enough attention for someone out there to say: "Hey, I would market that".  You wanna know what one invention I would buy out of all the ones I have seen so far?  The In-Brella.

If that makes it despite not winning, I will buy one.

Skapegoat87

[11]May 8, 2006

Are u ppl crazy. 3 out of the four inventions are for fun.

The car seat is the only thing that is to help in safety for the young.

Also the football thing only targets one consummer and it is anyone who plays football. (its not a big market)

The word ace kids play games that are fun and interesting. Howmany educational things are out there? Milliones and howmany actualy end up in the trash after a week or so? In my opinion ~75%

The bike ok i see the concept buy for the price of one i probably could buy 2 bikes. And if u want a 2 person bike then get a dual bike. 1person in front and 1 person in back. Also with this one if u hit the curb the person in the front may just crack there head since the bike will fall forwerd.

The baby seat will save lives. Howmany ppl are having kids now? Most of the cupples have young ones. When i get maried and have a kid i defenetly would want my young one protected. Id pick live over fun any-day.

pinto_believer

[12]May 8, 2006
    • level: 7

I agree with what most people are saying. But I think there's a factor here that needs consideration: Will people vote with their heads? This being a "reality" show on a major TV network, they're sure to highlight the heart-wrenching stuff that has nothing to do with the products, really. And this being the land of the over-emotional and the tabloid-obsessed (which don't really have anything to do with each other, but I don't care), that could play a large part.

From an engineer's perspective, I think the safety seat is an incredible innovation ... with one caveat: The crash test certainly showed that there's enough inertia involved in a collision of that speed (which didn't look like 60 mph to me) for the seat to do a full 360-degree flip. The cosmetic prototype didn't look like it was built to handle a full flip like that. If he can show that it does, then that product will get to market someday regardless of how the vote turns out.

Skapegoat87

[13]May 9, 2006

i know what u mean but aren't these only PROTOTYPE. as we watched this in the lase episode they did say that they couldn't do the work that needed to be done within 3 weeks they had. So i think in the long run they wil do more tests and more designed to this life saving product.

Am i right?

rocker_madnezz

[14]May 11, 2006
    The Car seat! He is awesome! I cried everytime he mentioned his daughter!

rocker_madnezz

[15]May 11, 2006
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 05/11/2006 6:23pm

beverly4166

[16]May 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    The teacher is supposed to help kids learn.  A crossword puzzle game is nice.  I might buy one for my nephew who is really bright, but as soon as most kids lose at it, they would lose interest.    The carseat should win.  I really like the vision and i think a car company should really get behind this idea.    Ps.  Of the other inventions, i would buy the bathrom survival kit.  That lady saw a problem most women encounter very often.  I can make room in my purse for comfort and peace of mind in a public restroom. 

beverly4166

[17]May 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    Well i voted 5 times from home and five from my cell.  Jonucs and the carseat.  this can change lives.

Skapegoat87

[18]May 12, 2006
    ITS JANUSZ in the show thay kill his name.
    Also i wouldent mind having the bathroom kit. It isint only the womens bathroom thats broken. Come to my school and you will need a door period.

hyper_chick8802

[19]May 12, 2006
    The Car Seat: Will most probably win, the whole safety thing is a BIG influence to the voters....plus his commercial was bangin! my problem is...he didnt really INVENT the seat...he just modified it...for safety

The Bike...: I dunno...again a modification...he came up with it because he is part of a big family and they only could afford ONE BIKE...but if people cant afford bikes then no one will buy your product. Plus, noone really rides bikes anymore..the kids are mostly racing for fun or doing some tricks...u cant really do that stuff with a bike like that

The Game: Nothing special...yes its eductional and blah blah blah...but we've got many other similar products...like leapfrog n stuff like that....you can most probably find software like that too.

The Football: For me out of the 4 "inventions"...its the one that is the only TRUE invention...their isnt anything like it on the market yet...but not much people play football...I dont see it selling that much

srlpj

[20]May 15, 2006
    • level: 2
    I agree the only true invention is the football catching device that Erik Thompson invented. Amazing that his simple prototype worked better than the high-tech model that was built but couldn't be used in the testing because it was "breakable." Hope the NFL licenses his product and starts sending it out high schools and colleges.