American Inventor

ABC (ended 2007)

pinto_believer

American Inventor Fan Reviews (65)

7.1
  • I found it quite good.

First, off i found it to be a very neat ideal the judges seem cool i didnt like the short guy who like that whole put a kid in a cage ideal i thought that was a really creppy ideal, Also, i think that guy is like the next Simon but likes things that suck. I loved the make a snow-globe then eat it ideal that was awesome. & the sand-bag collecting thing that was really cool.
  • It's decent, but are studio execs this desperate?

5.8
    Just like that 14-year-old boy seen at the very end wants his dog conditioner to hit it big time, American Inventor wants to be to inventions what American Idol is to up-and-coming pop stars. And just like that boy; whom was turned down to his massive disappointment, this show isn't wildly successful.

It's nice to see a high-profile reality show that isn't the same smutty, artistically-challenged, Booze N' Broads© garbage. And having one about inventors would be really nifty... but a reality show about inventors using the American Idol formula? Is that even practical?

And it doesn't help that I found most of the inventions displayed to be either confusing or so nonsensically worthless that I thought I was watching a satire. Throw in some rather disturbing moments like that psychiatrist woman and her punching bag thingy, and you have a prime example of how bankrupt studio executives have become these days.

I'll continue watching since the concept intrigues me, but I will not be surprised if this bombs in the ratings and gets canned sooner than later.
  • i disagree with the judges on their decision concerning the kids in the "tizzy" things.

4.1
    i think the judges were way off and not willing to see the possibilities with the idea at the very least. i am a mom of 4, all between 21mo-2 1/2 yrs apart. my boys are very rough and when they get into a fight, it's no holds barred. they are close enough to my size now that when i step in between them to stop fist fights, i risk getting a "last hit" meant for one or the other, or them not being able to stop mid-swing.they are not adhd/add, they've been tested for it. something like those "tizzy bubbles" would be ideal for my kids. they could get their frustration out towards each other without hurting each other or my house!! you're not punishing the child, but giving him a safe way to vent. talking abt. feelings doesn't work for all kids, some need outside the box thinking to help them learn to express their feelings. i would add a chat session on top of tizzies so the kids would be able to calmy talk abt. what happened in a positive way. i see no abusive characteristics in those bubbles.its not a cage, like the judges think. even if people wont consider the tizzies for temper tantrums, think of what else they could be used for. how about the kids that have uncontrollable seizures and end up severly harming themselves or worse ? something like this could be used, if say, a parent knows a child has one at a certain time each day. well, 10 mintues or whatever before "seizure time" the child could be placed in there and while the seizure goes on, the child would be safe from braking something or worse. i think the idea, at least, should be looked into more and see what happens. give it a chance at least.
  • If there was a show that makes you feel bad this is the one...

Man I watched this show tonight and it just made me feel bad. Not only that, there was not enough good to make me feel good. I like the premise of the show, finding an inventor, but the way they shot down good ideas was horrible. This isn't like american idol in the way that there is a fine line between good and bad singers. This show had many good ideas shot down. I like the premise, but I won't be watching agian.
  • Though it seems at first like Simon ran out of ideas, this show proves to be an interesting and entertaining idea remeniscent of American Idol.

It seemed interesting. That was all I could say for this show when I first saw the commercials. Then came the pilot episode. The TV was on anyway, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to check it out. What I saw surprised me.

The mix of emotion, laughs, and arguments provides Idol fans with another show that follows in it's shadow, and those who aren't a fan of American Idol now have a show of a diffrent concept, yet a similar (and still working) system. It has its rough spots; they still need to clean up the presentation a little, but this is based on the first episode of the show, so this is no time to talk about the minor querps.

All around, this is already a good show, and I'm interested in seeing where its high level of potential will lead it.
  • I think you were to harsh on the lady with the 2 kids, with the tantrums, to be degraded like that on tv, it was to mean.

6.7
    I think you were to harsh on the lady with the 2 kids, with the tantrums, to be degraded like that on tv, it was to harsh. I think the judges clash. I think the one in the hawaiian t-shirt is to harsh from his own experience, and the judges panel should be more respectful,not to make assumptions so quickly.
  • This show may not get three yesses....

This 2 hour premiere started with really lame items (I suppose ala the bad singers on IDOL) but my reaction was that it was a waste of time. I wanted to see the real inventions. Perhaps if the show was filled with truely good products, I would not have been so angry when they threw off the woman with the kid's DVD and the young boy with the car cooler - both excellent products as far as I could see.

I've never been a fan of Simon...I'm less now. And I REALLY wanted this show to be good. Like some of the products shown - it has potential but may not get 3 yesses....
  • Great show but the judges lost a great one. What were they thinking. The kid's invention....Come On!

Great Show! The judges made a huge mistake on the kid. I\'m a pet owner that would love something like that. How many times has any pet owner gone some where to walk the dog and forgets to pick something up from the store. Its something that would be convenient. To know that your pet is safe and comfortable is peace of mind. I believe its a concept that has huge potential and simply just needs to be modified. Its an idea car companies should run with. What a shame.
  • Absolutely one of the worst new shows to come (and I like American Idol)..

1.1
    WOW, this show is horrible.
    How could anyone find this show captivating???

It islike American Idol without the attractive contestants, singing, and well, anything of interest...

The only amusing thing was to watch morons show up with dumb inventions that they have invested $100K of their limited resources into. And they didn not show enough of the dumb inventions.

Too much crying. Too much ridiculousness about the inventors lives

And bluntly, the inventions they haveve showed so far (with the possible exception of that silly sand bag shovel (in case you are making sand bags, which I never do)), are some of the stupidest inventions I have ever seen -- even the ones they let through..

COME ON SIMON, I expected better from you. Are you not you ashamed to have your name associated with this?
  • Too bad to see people get their hopes up after spending thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on their pet projects just to be humilated for the sake of ratings.

Too bad to see people get their hopes up after spending thousands of dollars and thousands of hours on their pet projects just to be humilated for the sake of ratings. I mean, sure, make fun of the guy with the peeing raincoat or whatever it was. But the kid had a good idea. I'd like to see a list of the products pitched that didn't get it and information on how to contact them. I'm sure there are people out there who might invest in their ideas. At least they would have something to get out of the experience and to look forward to.

And has anyone noticed the GoogleAdwords on any search for American Inventor are the same scams that the Bed Buddy lady fell for and dropped $12k on something already on the market?
  • Phenomenal just phenomenal (really great)

If this is a reality show I would be surprised. This show is a great one compared to anything I have seen before. It accurately displays the American dream that so many people have. The judges are fair about how they judge peoples inventions, the people have some good inventions, granted there are some that seem a bit odd, that could help people these days, and the presentation are: educating, funny, and show us how hard people work to be entrepreneurs and try to be good inventors. That makes this how in my mind is all around great. There is a big furture for this show. Most of the inventions I saw on this show (the ones that suceeded) are some of the things I think many people would want. The only things that I can see in this show are the stupid inventions that some of the people who appear on the show come up with, the drama after people who lose or they win, really I just want to see what other people have invented, and the last thing is the judge who is an inventor himself, if he does not like he just has to downgrade the person and the invention. I mean give the person a chance, unless they strike first, if you don’t like the product then just say you don’t like it. This guy took the dream from a kid, a kid, and then he goes and tries to motivate the kid. That there is just crap. I hope that kid comes back and proves him wrong in what the judge said.
  • One of the worst shows ever invented.

1.4
    I can't believe that a show this half-baked is allowed to air. American Inventor is a boring and mind-numbingly awful exercise in which hopeful inventors take their products before a panel of judges.

First of all, these judges are horrible. They pass on the stupidest things while they stonewall on products that should be no brainers. They think that an edible snow globe will change the world, but a solar powered device that provide free electricy won't? Who are we kidding here?

American Inventor's two hour opening episode was about an hour and a half too long while focusing on too many terrible inventors and their terrible products. Let me just come out and say it... the similarities to American Idol are too numerous to mention from the format to even the personalities of the judges.

This could very well be one of the worst shows ever invented.
  • Edible snow globes were not snow globes, gym in bag is just a bunch of weights and rubber bands thrown into a gym bag, Easy branch cutter is already available at most hardware stores.

4.8
    -Edible snow globes: yes they are edible but where was the snow??? Snow globes are usually filled with water and \"snow\". They lady just simply put a plastic bowl over the candy and declared it a snow globe

-kids in plastic air cushion: only in the San Francisco Bay Area one can come up with psycho junk like this.

-Pit and shell hiding bowl: two guys that had a hit single once, never heard of them, do you know them? The idea is ok but why were they not able to produce a prototype? And one guy said \"We\'re gonna be famous again\".

-Gym in a bag: WTF? You can see the rubber band exercise thingy every other night on informercials. The guy didn\'t invent anything and he claimed he spent already $100,000??? This man is BSing everyone.

-Solar-powered cooler: one of those no-brainer ideas the cooler companies are probably working on it for the past 7 years.

-suits for cars: this man was clearly insane.

-toilet paper holder with soap: not bad of an idea, would be great for the middle east where they don\'t use toilet paper and always wash their behinds with water.

-Easy branch cutter: this was unbelievable! You can buy this at every hardware store. That just shows you that none of the judges ever did any yard work.

-bed pouch: that was fun to see her face after she learned that someone invented it already. And she claimed that she spent $8000 on it already.

-car window AC: well it was just a fan in a clear suitcase, but at least he had a prototype.
  • Show is just about the judges. They should have called it, "Judges show off."

1.3
    Horrible. Would be a good show if it weren't for the judges trying to steal the stage at every possible opportunity. The little fat one has a napoleonic complex. They all just compete with each other to see who can say the most shocking thing. I thought the show was supposed to focus on the inventors.
  • This show would have been okay if they showed more of the inventions and less of the judges....

...we don\'t care what the judges backgrounds are. And if anyone is interested in that you can put up their information on a website for people to look for. But really they would show one invention and then commercial, one invention a commercial, and then the background on a judge.

But for those of you saying all the inventions they are showing are stupid... well yeah... they are showing all the bad ideas now and saving the good inventions for the later rounds. If they showed all the good inventions now we wouldn\'t have any reason to watch later on.

But I am really curious how they are going to keep the show interesting. I mean they can only show the same invention over and over so many times.
  • The judges have to have a fight just to keep it interesting? And they make it seem like a soap opera. Do not watch this show!!!!

1.3
    I don\'t really get it. Why do these judges have al of these fights? I bet they are paid to do it just for people to still watch it. Also, half of the inventions are not even inventions, more like improvements to modern day things. Even the inventors are crazy:

\"Ohhhh, I spent 12,000 dollars on this bed that already exists\"

\"I...sniff.....spent..100,000 dollars..sniff...on exercise equipment...My LiFE DePENDS oN THiS!!\"

\"I am 14 years old, and I am bragging to the judges because I made a pretty doggy air conditioner. Ooohhh.....(drools)\"

Do not watch this show!!!
  • A great idea twisted into something ugly.

1.2
    I was so looking forward to this show! How funny it could have been watching people explain and demonstrate all the wonderful things they think would make our lives better! To the inventor it\\\\\\\'s a wand and the judges would be the voice of reason telling him he \\\\\\\"invented\\\\\\\" the stick. The portable potty that the judge referred to as a shower curtain gave me hope, too. I thought the show was dragging a bit, but I held on hoping they\\\\\\\'d make it march and show us more inventions.

But instead of inventions, the focus turned to the people. This one had a retarded daughter and that one was a kid who was hanging his whole sense of self worth on what the judges would think of his idea and that one even got the judges to cry.

Oh, COME ON! I tuned in to laugh and maybe applaud a few good ideas, like the gizmo that fills sand bags. It was a genuinely good idea. I don\\\\\\\'t care who came up with it or how he came to think of it or what he plans to do with the money or that making the prototype cost him a marriage and a kidney! Just show me the inventions, let me hear the judges’ comments and get on to the next invention.

Well, I gave the show two hours of my life that I\\\\\\\'ll never get back and that\\\\\\\'s more of a chance then the show gave any of the inventors. I\\\\\\\'m going to give it a \\\\\\\"no\\\\\\\" and don\\\\\\\'t think there will be any problem finding three more to go with them.

Too bad, the show could have been so funny.
  • This Show is ok but....

7.4
    The show is an ok show but it is not what i thought it would be, but this is the first show. I think that the judges turned down some good inventions like the dog fan and a few others. Most of the peoples inventions were interesting to see but most of the things people came up with some inventions that did not make sence like the first one on the show. the one where the man came up with a jacket to put on when you got to pee. Who in there right mind would put on some think that looks like a shower curtin and then pee right there in the middle of public. Another stupid invention was the one where that dude came up with car covers that you put on your car. Really i could not under stand anything that he was saying. That one woman tried to come up with something that has already been made and i bet she felt stupid when they told her that. I think that one fat judge is not to good of an judge because he does no want anyone to be as good as him if he thinks he is good. On the next show i hope that there is an invention that i think that i can use because all the ones that they passed on this show are the ones that i dont use. I could not belive that some people would sell their house and every thing just for a shot at this show.
  • This show is what America is all about. This show gives the average person a vehicle to use to show the world their ideas.

America is about being innovative and pursuing your dreams. This show is all any inventor can ask for and gives the average Joe who comes up with a great idea an opportunity to become successful.

I personally have an invention that I am trying to get into the marketplace- the shootAndstar rebounder. It is a piece of basketball equipment that enables a basketball player to efficiently practice shooting by themselves. You can see it at my website www.shootAndstar.com . I would love the opportunity to present my product on this show.

Glenn E. Hudson, President
    Sporting Advantage Inc.
    www.shootAndstar.com
    309-359-6100
  • This is SO much better than American Idol!

This show is like American Idol, only it dosen't suck that bad and that it's more entertaining.

In this show, judges judge people's inventions and based on whether its good or not, much like American Idol. Also like A.I., there are several rounds in which people are eliminated in each one. This continues until there's only one left.
    It's much better than American Idol, where people make a big fool out of themselves in front of millions of T.V. viewers. Here, some people show how creative and smart they are by showing the judges how they can change the technology world by inventing something.

This is a great show and I think everyone should watch it.
  • Good idea, awfully presented.

1.1
    As I was flipping through the channels I saw and ad for this show, and it was playing next ! It looked pretty good and I was happy I\\\'d see some interesting inventions.

Unfortunatly, the show presents only a few inventions, and to those inventions, they have you listening to a HUGE background of the inventor, wich is usually really sad when they gave their life to this invention (wich they usually did, guess some of it is fake so we can be even more sad). Even worse, it takes about 5-7 mins to present one invention, then, AD time. Come back for one story, AD Time.
    Way too many ads for a lack of content.

The way I think it would have been good, is if we could get a peek at many many inventions, like 1mins per inventions, to know what it\\\'s use. Then, a quick 5 seconds Yes/No from the judges.

Go back to saying how horrible people can sing Simon, that\\\'s where I like you.

• From the show on 3/23/06, overall I think they know how to judge accurately. But Mary Lou,what is wrong with you? The red bow freak out was insane!Take a zanex or go home and enjoy your husband.

Mary Lou was totally over-reacting to the RED BOW lingerie.I wore something like that for my husband years ago & he loved it. I just wish mine was as easy to untie. Mary Lou has ISSUES! I am conservative and I would buy one for fun or a special occasion.
  • This is the only show that makes money off people's misery and pain and life's dedication with a lack of respect and caring. Sometimes the hosts do not have the deceny to wait until the inventor walks off stage before the laughter breaks out. Disgusting!!

2.5
    The reputation of the newly "politically correct" United States is mirrowed in this show. While not being able to pay homage to all inventors, these inventors should at least be respected for the hours and money they have spent working on their life's projects. Just because you have an (ahem) engineer's degree means very little compared to being decent and respectful to these people. At least wait until they get off the floor before the smart remarks, laughter and sarcasm bursts forth, okay? One of the poorest inventors is worth a hundred of the hosts .... too bad. It could be a decent show otherwise.
  • Television worth your time...

This program, while not the best, is worth your time. I have some strong opinions about television, and they have to do with content. I think a lot of what is aired on television is worthless garbage, and some of it is even harmful to the youth and more impressionable of society. Of course the same can be said about many films, particularly those categorized as \"Hollywood\" movies. However, I feel television is more guilty and contributes more than film. This is not to say though that are not good and decent things that are aired on TV. I enjoy watching a lot of non-fictional programs that deal with things like nature, science, history, and popular culture.

American Inventor is something I will watch, because it is educational and informative. Even the silly inventions and more comedic parts of the series have lessons in them. It\'s a show I\'d let my children watch without worring too much about what they might see or hear. So if you want to watch something that\'s entertaining, educational, and good for the whole family, then I suggest making American Inventor a part of your routine tv line-up.
  • I just want to see some inventions...

I grabbed this thinking i'd get to see tons of crazy inventions. Instead I was treated to an hour and a half of meeting 4 judges who have no relation to eachother and seem not to enjoy eachothers company at all. They show hardly any inventions and if you cut out all the bs you'd be left with a 30 minute show with I think they could have pulled off. For example, they show two seconds of "chess on steroids" which btw makes it through to the next round (whatever that is)and sounds incredible, but they show 10 minutes of some women with a DVD for retarded kids to which they denied. With every sob story the cut to the female judge all teary and with every rediculous invention they cut to the british judge with the stone face. With a panel of 4 judges and only one being an actual inventor how do they suppose they can fairly judge INVENTIONS. If I could get this hour and 30 minutes back I would. The topper to the nights events is the final inventor who happens to be a 14 year old kid who after being applauded multiple times for his invention by all the judges is, yes you guessed it, denied. They need to tweak the show in the weeks to come and If I don't see more inventions i'm going to have to create "Canadian Inventor" and we'll take them to school.
  • Great idea but poorly excuted.

3.2
    While I love the idea of the show, I really don't get some of the decisions that the judges are making. For example from last night's show, the lady with the bathroom door thing...what's left to develop? The little boy from 2 weeks ago with the air conditioner unit for the car...what a wonderful idea that could use support and refinement. Same goes for the solar cooler/generator from the same show. Very confusing. The name of the show is "AMERICAN INVENTOR" not "We'll just market your already working product"!
  • RIPOFF!

1.2
    American Inventor is nothing more then an American Idol rip off.

There are slight differences though, first off take away the singers and replace them with people who want to try and invent the next big thing.

Shame on Cowell for trying to use his Idol power to create a dumb show.

I would give this show a zero if it was possible.
  • *shrug*

7.2
    Not bad, not great, but not bad. It's fairly interesting. If nothing else it's fun to see the useless crap these people think will actually sell.
    However these constant stories of how this invention is all they have, they lost their how, job, etc. it's kinda annoying, it's sad, but, c'mon! No one should gamble there life on an invention!
  • We are watching people show Inventions........

Let me just say this [Caps Lock] You are watching people show inventions how [BLEEP] dumb are you [End Caps Lock]. The only saving grace is how stupid some of the inventors are which is funny as hell much like the bad singers on \"Idol\". This show will stay on due to idiots.
  • The concept is great. America was founded by inventors, and America was built by inventions. It seems that many of the so called inventors get up there and whine, and snivel, and cry when their invention do not make it. Grow up, wake up, and quit whining,

Excellent show.
    Great concept. It motivates the viewer to invent. We are going to see some nice inventions come out of this show.

We are also going to see how stupid some people really are, and how foolishly they look when they tell the world they pawned their wedding rings, and/or spend thousands on dufus ideas, such as fart filtering underwear!

Most of the cry babies on the show think that their invention is the one, when in fact, proper marketing, buyers market, and need is what makes a good invention.

I have a patent on a product, and I know what it takes to get a product to market.

Nice show.