America's Got Talent Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

For the people who want a solution to singers winning often

modernfamily120

[1]Jul 26, 2012
    • level: 20

I have an idea: Organize the quarterfinals by types of acts. Here is an example for this year:

Week One: Singing

Edon, Nikki Jensen, Shanice & Maurice Hayes, Danielle Stallings, Big Barry, Tim Hockenberry, Inspire the Fire, Jake Wesley Rogers, All Beef Patty, Ulysses, Sebastian, Eric & Olivia.

Week Two: Dance

Lil' Starr, The Scott Brothers, 787 Crew, LionDanceMe, Turf, Lisa Clark Dancers, The Untouchables, Elusive, Light Wire Theatre, All That!, Unity in Motion, Lindsey Norton.

Week Three: Danger, Magic, and Juggling

American BMX Stunt Team, Donovan & Rebecca, Ben Blaque, Cristin Sandu, All Wheel Sports, David "The Bullet" Smith, Horse, Jarret & Raja, Hawley Magic, Spencer Horseman,Eric Dittleman, Rock Star Juggler Mike Price

Week Four: Comedy, Bands, Art, Instrument-Building, and Animals

Todd Oliver, Tom Cotter, Jacob Williams, The Distinguished Men of Brass, The All Ways, Wordspit and the Illest!, David Garibaldi and his CMYK's, Aurora Light Painters, Joe Castillo, Micheal Nejad, William Close, Olate Dogs

Doing that would even out things a lot. It would really help acts who are not singers or dancers.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Jul 26, 2012
    • level: 7

I actually thought of that idea last season, except I was thinking that instead of giving each of the four categories their own show, they could put three of each category on each show, and only one of each category could be voted through...Of course, that could also risk prematurely losing some great variety acts, so I dunno...

modernfamily120

[3]Jul 26, 2012

This year it would have actually added another singer probably (Danielle Stallings), but in most years it would keep the singers from over-powering everyone (especially the acts that are not singing or dancing)

JM5000

[4]Jul 27, 2012
    • level: 7

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought of this. Here's how it should go:

Auditions: Same as always.

Callbacks: Split all the acts into four categories: Singing, Dancing, Danger and Variety. Split each of those categories into sub-categories and then do one category at a time. Night one, start with dancing (solo, groups, etc.), move on to singing (male, female, groups, etc.) Night two, start with variety (magic, instrumental, visual arts, etc.), end with danger (juggling, BMX, acrobatic, etc.) (I really don't get why danger always goes first and male singers always get to go last. The producers are the worst when it comes to who needs the most time to prepare.) After each category performs, the judges pick ten acts from it. And so 40 of our Top 48 will be chosen.

Youtube: To save time and a show filled with mediocre acts, this time the judges will look through their Top 20 selections and pick out two acts for each category, with a total of eight Youtube acts. Two of them will perform on each Quarter-Final show...

Quarter-Finals: Twelve acts perform (including two Youtube acts). Three of them will fall under each category. Afterward, you can vote for one act from each category (and you can only give them one vote). The act of each category with the most votes is sent forward. This will leave a total of 16 acts.

Wildcard Show: Each judge may bring back one act from each category. Once more, one act from each category advances. We are left with a total of 20 acts.

Semi-Finals: Ten acts perform each night, two of them wildcards. This will mean that whatever category each wildcard falls under will get three that night while two other categories get two, but I think that can be managed...

Top 8: Two acts from each category perform. The one from each category with the most votes joins the Top 4.

Top 4: Same rules as always, and as long as the singing act isn't one of those down-on-his-luck male singers, America will probably vote for someone different...

Of course, all this may not be necessary if the judges can just keep another singer from winning. I mean, even including the Youtube Top 20 and the acts with the potential to be brought back as Wildcards, Tim Hockenberry is the only one very likely to win. And again, if the judges are REALLY trying to keep the singers from taking another win, and have ANY common sense, they will do whatever they can to keep him out of the Top 4 this season. Seriously though, I do worry that they will underestimate him and allow him to go further knowing that he's the most notable singer in the competition; He's the only thing truly standing between a non-singer and the Grand Prize...

modernfamily120

[5]Sep 14, 2012

modernfamily120 wrote:

I have an idea: Organize the quarterfinals by types of acts. Here is an example for this year:

Week One: Singing

Edon, Nikki Jensen, Shanice & Maurice Hayes, Danielle Stallings, Big Barry, Tim Hockenberry, Inspire the Fire, Jake Wesley Rogers, All Beef Patty, Ulysses, Sebastian, Eric & Olivia.

Week Two: Dance

Lil' Starr, The Scott Brothers, 787 Crew, LionDanceMe, Turf, Lisa Clark Dancers, The Untouchables, Elusive, Light Wire Theatre, All That!, Unity in Motion, Lindsey Norton.

Week Three: Danger, Magic, and Juggling

American BMX Stunt Team, Donovan & Rebecca, Ben Blaque, Cristin Sandu, All Wheel Sports, David "The Bullet" Smith, Horse, Jarret & Raja, Hawley Magic, Spencer Horseman,Eric Dittleman, Rock Star Juggler Mike Price

Week Four: Comedy, Bands, Art, Instrument-Building, and Animals

Todd Oliver, Tom Cotter, Jacob Williams, The Distinguished Men of Brass, The All Ways, Wordspit and the Illest!, David Garibaldi and his CMYK's, Aurora Light Painters, Joe Castillo, Micheal Nejad, William Close, Olate Dogs

Doing that would even out things a lot. It would really help acts who are not singers or dancers.

So in this method, here is who advances each week.

Week One: Edon, Shanice & Maurice Hayes, Tim Hockenberry, Sebastian.

Week Two: The Scott Brothers, Turf, The Untouchables, Lightwire Theatre.

Week Three: Donovan & Rebecca, Ben Blaque, All Wheel Sports, Eric Dittleman

Week Four: Tom Cotter, David Garibaldi and his CMYKs, William Close, Olate Dogs

SAME YOUTUBE ACTS

Wild Card: Todd Oliver, Jacob Williams, Joe Castillo, Andrew De Leon

SEMI-FINALS WEEK 1

Edon, Sebastian, The Untouchables, Lightwire Theatre, Donovan & Rebecca, All Wheel Sports, David Garibaldi and his CMYKs, Olate Dogs, Clint Carvalho and his Extreme Parrots, Bria Kelly, Joe Castillo, Andrew De Leon

Advanced: The Untouchables, David Garibaldi and his CMYKs, Olate Dogs

SEMI-FINALS WEEK 2

Shanice & Maurice Hayes, Tim Hockenberry, The Scott Brothers, Turf, Ben Blaque, Eric Dittleman, Tom Cotter, William Close, The Magic of Puck, Academy of Villains, Todd Oliver, Jacob Williams

Advanced: Tom Cotter, William Close, Todd Oliver