America's Got Talent Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 7

JM5000

[1]May 5, 2012
    • level: 7

Well, it's time to start talking about the new season of America's Got Talent!

This will basically be just like last season's thread, where we'll all talk about what we think of everything this season. I'll rank the acts that perform on each live episode and all that good stuff...

Now let me just start by saying that my patience in this show is wearing thin...It's one thing that singers win every season, it's quite another that the TYPES of singers who win have gotten a little too predictable. And in fact, I'm getting tired of the types of acts I always root for; Sure, they may be a spectacle, but I can't deny the fact that they are not 100% talent. Granted, there's plenty of talent involved, but a lot of it is just technical.

Now I watched the video on Youtube previewing the auditions, and I must admit, not much seemed very new. I caught a QUICK glimpse of a light-up act, but I really hope that's not the act I'm rooting for, because I really don't see how they can top Team iLuminate, and even if they do, it will get annoying rooting for the same act only updated every season. There were a few acts that got a moment's concentration: A male soprano (is that the right pitch?) opera singer, a dancing contortionist and a human cannonball. The human cannonball will probably be this year's Professor Splash, sure it's dangerous and takes a lot of talent, but the fact that it's more of a circus act than a Vegas act will probably not get him very far.

There ARE, however, a few things that might mix things up this season. The first, as you all probably know by now, is Howard Stern replacing Piers Morgan as a judge. I don't know much about the guy, but from what I've read, I'm interested in seeing how he does. From the sound of things, he's willing to be brutally honest when he has to be, and reject an act if it's not up to standards. But at the same time, he's not going to be buzzer-happy like Morgan was. So I'm convinced that he won't have that annoying bias that Piers constantly kept throughout every season (and he might be a little more in control and will accept some acts for what they are). It's also worth noting that I read somewhere that Simon Cowell thinks that the show is getting too predictable...So MAYBE they'll do something about the obvious winner this season?

Once more, let me point out the way things have constantly worked since Season 3: The winner is a male singer in his thirties who is desperate to lift himself out of the tough, lower-class lifestyle (and specific poor-guy job) and wins over America with his charming persona, sympathetic backstory and unique music style, which he will likely surprise the judges with as he starts out looking and acting nothing like someone who has any sort of talent.

Third place goes to a performing arts group who's talent at least partially consists of special effects, and I find myself rooting for them because of their unique and overall cool presentations. I'm not sure about them after their audition, but after their Quarter-Final performance, I'm convinced that they should be the act to win...Unfortunately, they only come in third.

As for runner-up, it just goes to someone who has the Cuteness and/or Sympathy handicaps.

If ANY of those things I just said can be different this season, I'll be at least somewhat satisfied. I should be able to place the obvious contenders for each of those positions by the end of the Quarter-Finals. How far everyone makes it in this game is all a matter of how marketable they are, and if it's a little too obvious how things will turn out, I have half a mind to completely tune out and come to my conclusion, checking in after the season's over to see who won and see how accurate I was (though I'm sure I'll watch it all the way through).

This show has a special quality that keeps us all coming back, but it is still infamous for how much of an advantage singers have...But singing alone is not the huge factor, it's just that there are constantly contestants competing on this show who have the types of things people want to vote for, and for some reason, those people are always singers. Why are they singers and never dancers or anything unique? I don't know, but what I do know is that the way America votes is becoming hopelessly predictable. I could root for an act, hope for them to win...And while I may be at least somewhat satisfied that they came in third out of thousands of acts, the point is, I just want someone different to win this season. I want them to be the first ever act that has absolutely no singing involved to win America's Got Talent. And if it IS a singer...then why can't it be a female for once? Or someone UNDER thirty? Or a group?

Every season, they improve the predictability a little bit...But as long as the winner is always a solo, thirty-something-year-old male singer, it's not improved enough. And please, let me find interest in someone other than a performing arts group this season. They never win, so what's the point of always rooting for them? I don't care who wins, as long as it is a significant change from the last few seasons...Please, AGT...Be different this season!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]May 14, 2012

Alright, so the season is now underway...

First of all, let me take a moment to congratulate Howard Stern for his first show...and for not being the obnoxious tool everyone was afraid he'd be. It appears that he intends to be fair, but will still hit the buzzer if the act he's experiencing calls for it. Only time will tell how he does overall this season.

So to follow the acts, I'm looking at an article on tonight's show to remember how it all went. Here's what I think of the acts that made it through (talking about the acts that didn't would be a waste of time):

William ???: After a handful of stinkers, we finally get our first good performance. This act is interesting and new, and has potential. But this guy is going to have to make it bigger than this if he wants to make it past the Quarter-Finals...Until then, we'll just see what he brings to Vegas...

Elements Dance Cru: I really like this group right from the get-go. Howie says some of them need to keep up a little better, but I still think this is a good start for them. I wish them luck!

Aerial Gymnastic Kid (I forget her real name): A young girl doing a dangerous act...We'll just see where she takes this and if she won't worry the judges with her young age.

Jorge and Alexa: I saw these two on Youtube...The dad is okay, the girl is fine for her age...I'm okay with them being sent through; They probably won't get very far (they might not even make it past callbacks).

Ben Blaque: I'll admit, this guy's a VERY good marksman. We'll just see what more he can do...

Light Wire Theater: Here it is, this year's light-up act...Kind of a glow-in-the-dark puppet show. I'll admit that one of the several things that made the last three seasons' third-place runners-up so similar is that I was skeptical of what they could bring to the table at first, and then they were sent straight through to Hollywood, performed for the Quarter-Finals, and THEN won me over. I actually found this one an interesting spectacle right from the get-go...But I'm still not sure...Can they possibly top Team iLuminate? Can I really bring myself to root for them after the previous light-up acts that obviously inspired them failed to win? Part of what makes an act stand out as more than just a display of talent is how big they can make it. Out of all the acts so far, this one has the most potential to go big, but I just feel that there would be more hope in a new type of act. I just don't know if I can bring myself to root for these guys knowing that they're not likely going to win anyway. If this season turns out to be as predictable as I'm afraid it will be, these guys are this year's third-place act. I'm hoping for something even better...

Guy Eating a Scorpion: Probably won't make it past callbacks...

Dog Ventriloquist: Interesting and new...Of course, it's going to take more than just forcing your dog to wear a controllable mouth to be the next Terry Fator...

Gymnastic Dancers: Another good dance act! Play their cards right, these guys could go far!

Loyalty Dance Crew: These guys were okay...Nothing new or special...Maybe they'll get better as the game progresses, but for now, we'll just have to see the other dance groups...

Sergio: Might be this season's Mauricio Herrera...I see some potential if he sticks to opera like Sharon said, but he'll probably just try to be all flamboyant and will be buzzed off in the Quarter-Finals. Of course, we're still yet to see the other so-called "So-Bad-It's-Good" acts this season, so who knows...

Father and Daughter: Now here's an act that could go far and deserve it! Both singers were really strong vocally (especially the daughter, as it usually plays out), they got that compelling little backstory, and I think America might just be big enough suckers for them. Best singers by far so far...

So overall, pretty good so far. The acts that went through so far are worth a second look (even Scorpion Guy might have other tricks). The bad acts were all good for a laugh (though I feel kind of bad for Sexy Sax Man). I hope they find a REALLY unique new act that could have a shot in winning this, and I also hope they don't come across yet another poor sap who's bound to sucker America into voting for him. But so far, aside from MAYBE the father and daughter, no one has that yet...

Here's to tomorrow's show!

Killer1One

[3]May 14, 2012
    • level: 12

I recorded it. I haven't watched it yet. But i certainly will. And JM you are a hero to tv.com agt forum. Keep up the good work brother. I'll be around also to keep the boards alive and spawn some decent discussion. I'll comment later when i get around watching it.

JM5000

[4]May 14, 2012

Killer1One wrote:

I recorded it. I haven't watched it yet. But i certainly will. And JM you are a hero to tv.com agt forum. Keep up the good work brother. I'll be around also to keep the boards alive and spawn some decent discussion. I'll comment later when i get around watching it.

Many thanks, Killer! Here's hoping for a good, strong season!

marvelfan89

[5]May 15, 2012
    • level: 39

Pretty average. Howard is ok, but they've obviously tamed him down to where he can't really be outrageous much less mean. He applauded a couple of acts that were just mediocre at best. Anyways.

We got another Team Illuminuate/Fighting Gravity group, so they will go far. Crossbow guy was kind of meh, he was only a few feet away from the girl, if he was going to hit the balloon across the stage it be a different story. Elements Dance Crew was really good. The Harp guy was ok, but he did really do anything special for a standing ovation? Not really once again the producers make it a priority to try and push somebody on the show with limited talent. The guy piercing himself was hard to watch but gladly he didn't passed the auditions.

The bird lady was a mediocre singer. I laughed at the way Howie was laughing at her all through out, then when itcame down to evaluate her, he started to sing (pun intended) her praises. What a phony.

"Simply Sergio" started off bad, but he redeemed himself probably the only audition where this happened.

Kind of meh for me especially for Los Angeles, they really couldn't chosen some better tryouts here.

Killer1One

[6]May 15, 2012

Howard was ok. But you could literally see the metaphorical handcuffs on him. However he did disappointed me a bit. He still seems to be crumbling under the crowd pressure. If he wants to be the tough one he needs to be fearless of the crowd. Let's hope he is strong enough to do it...

JM5000

[7]May 15, 2012

Let us discuss the San Francisco auditions:

David Garibaldi and CMKs: This is an interesting new act; It reminds me of that one lady a few years back who painted while being "sexy"...These guys were more dynamic, and managed to make painting into a show. I see potential in this act...

Christen Sandu: Very nice balance...I'm willing to see what else this kid can do...

The Lisa Clark Dancers: This was very well-choreographed and unique. Not quite certain about them yet, but they may have a chance if they know how to expand this.

Magic act: The sawing-in-half bit is nothing new, but I'll give them a chance based on the upside-down piano-playing.

Singer girl: Good voice...All I can say for now...

Juggler: Nice tricks here, but he needs to work on keeping those pins in the air, otherwise he won't make it past the Quarter-Finals.

Impressionist: We'll just see what this guy can do...His impressions were really good, even if his voice was not perfectly fit for them...But still, I'll give him a chance...

Opera Singer: Not bad, good voice and everything...Though I doubt he'll win, based on the fact that opera had its year in Season 3. Plus, I think I've seen better singers (and he probably shouldn't have sang the song most opera singers would save for last)...Still, he might go far...

Granny G: This one was silly. Not sure what to think of her yet, but at this point, I'll just accept anyone they send through as long as they have an act that can develop...

Janitor-Flute-Guy: Innovative and pretty well-played...That being said, he probably won't make it very far...

Tim Hockenberry: A regular Joe Cocker...Out of all the singers so far, this guy looks like the one most likely to win (in which case he'll be the oldest AGT winner to date). Not sure how marketable this could be, but either way, he has a good voice, and we'll just see how he does in the future...

Funk Beyond Control: I liked this one...There were some unique moves and good choreography (pretty much what I said about the other dance group). We'll just see what they can bring to future acts...

Emily Ann Band: The titular lead-singer has a unique voice...I'm willing to give them a chance...

Comedian: Didn't find him very funny, but perhaps I just need to see more of his act...

Martial Arts Group: Not certain about them...I'd like to see more to fully decide...

Turf: Looks like San Fran has saved the best for last...Is it me, or did this guy just top all of Hairo Torres' performances with one audition? Impressive...I have a good feeling about this young man...

Overall, decent show...Some acts were better than others, but either way, I was impressed by a few of them. Still waiting to see the act that will keep me coming back throughout the game...

Edited on 05/15/2012 8:49pm

marvelfan89

[8]May 16, 2012

Thought it was awful even worse than LA. Lmao the fat guy on the bike was hilarious!!! Jesus just screen the participants already it doesn't take up much time, but I realize they know the ratings will be big if they let these pitiful "acts" on the show but still, there's a lot of talent that never gets a chance here because of this let's fill the airtime with something worthwhile not weirdos, drag queens (Kotton Kandy) who can't sing, or wannabe strippers.

Some of the decent acts felt like copies of other better acts from previous seasons aka Granny G almost the same thing as the Rapping Grandma from a few seasons ago (who was better). Turf was cool but still nothing we have seen before aka that Ziggy Pop dude they had or whatever his name was.

The opera singer was good, but he has no personality. He is much too shy and timid (especially at his age) to really go far in this. He is no Prince Poppycock or anybody like that.

I heard that David Garibaldi was already a well known artist, and I thought the act itself was pretty boring actually. The fourteen year old Asian singer was great. I know people hate the overload singers on this show, but we always get the ones that wouldn't be allowed to compete on American Idol because of the age we have it. The juggler won't get too far. It's too bland, the other jugglers who went far in the show did dangerous and more exciting things that throw pins in the air unfortunately it's an old act that doesn't go far in the show.

Killer1One

[9]May 16, 2012

My highlight for the night has to be the Contortionist Dancer. He was entertaining for me. And i don't want to come and talk about Howard again, but i have to say it: I am disappointed. That is not Howard Stern, he is like a puppy here. HOWIE is stronger than him, and that is INSANE. At least i am glad that there are not so many singers for now.

JM5000

[10]May 21, 2012

What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do?

Sorry, I still have that stupid song stuck in my head...

So Howard Stern finally got a chance to judge the auditions in his home state, the Big Apple itself! ...And I gotta say, this has got to be the most mediocre audition show I've ever seen...I mean, seriously, you'd think the biggest city in America would offer some awesome acts...But nope, we get "What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do?"

Enough talk...The acts:

Flyht Cru: Seriously, is it just the hip new thing to spell the words in your name so ridiculously wrong!? Wel wy danie wut evreewon iz dooing nou? Anyway, these guys WERE good...I just don't see the point after Acrodunk's outrageous elimination a few years back. Who knows, maybe they'll be even better if we give them time (though I highly doubt that), but for now, it's nothing new. Sad thing is, this is pretty much the highlight of the evening...

Aerial guy: Nothing new here...The only thing that came close to entertaining was the way his ponytail fell off...

The New York Irish Dance Company: These guys might be good, but I really don't think the costumes are needed...

Piano kid: The song choice was nothing new, but I still have enough appreciation for piano acts to give him a chance...He might be good...

Mir Money: Okay, I know he didn't go through, but I feel I oughta address this one...This is the first time I've seen a kid get buzzed off in the auditions. The producers probably usually don't send children with bad acts in because they don't want them to be humiliated on national television; They prefer to save their getting buzzed off for when the audience is forced to be polite and not boo off every act that sucks, and we all laugh at how ridiculous this performance was...No, any act that makes it past the auditions is no longer to be pitied (even if their later performances are complete jokes). The producers probably thought that this kid was going to be this season's Future Funk/SH'Boss Boys. But I'm glad Howard and Sharon looked past his pwecious wittle adowableness and decided that his rap skills are mediocre at best, regardless of his age. Though I can tell Killer is going to rant more about how spineless Howard has become...I mean, feeling bad for buzzing a kid and making him cry, I can understand...But deciding to send him through anyway out of pity? I'm glad Sharon and Howie decided to just cut the act here, because if this continued, the kid's feelings would only continue to be hurt...

The All Olate Dogs: And Sharon goes crazy! I'll give this act credit, the dogs are VERY well-trained...Now I'm sure this won't make it very far, because pet acts never do...But still, a pet act is still an act (albeit one that would NOT hold up in Vegas). For an animal act, it has potential...

Horse: I think we all had the same joke as Howie on our minds...Anyway, this was just downright stupid. Maybe this would be funny to watch on Jackass, but not on a talent show. It's a shame Howard was such a sucker for this, because if Piers was still here, he would buzz the act almost immediately...I don't wanna have to miss Piers, folks!

Wordspit! the Illest: Now with all the rappers tonight, I will let you all know, I don't hate rap. I only hate it when the rapper has no rhythm and an obnoxious voice (which is sadly all over the place these days). So that being said, I have nothing against the rapper in this band, and the singer was perfectly fine. Maybe with a little development, they can be this year's Poplyfe...

Which brings us to our last act for tonight...

You know what's coming...

Old Rapper: Another old person rapping...Nothing's original anymore...Well, anyway, I gotta say...This made me laugh my ass off! It WAS a bad act, it WAS utterly ridiculous...But that being said, it seemed to put a smile on everyone's face, including my own. In a way, I can actually see a rap like this predating the Sugarhill Gang and all those other early rap groups...So I'll give this guy a pass for tonight since everyone seems to love his so-bad-it's-good song. But...he'll probably be a one-hit wonder. Don't expect him to make it past the Quarter-Finals...But hey, that's AGT for ya...What'cha gonna do?

Okay, so aside from a few acts with some potential, this was a weak, weak night for talent! I'm hoping night #2 will be better, but still, if night #1 failed to impress, what are the odds on that? I think the sad thing about this show is that they missed out on so many great acts in their first five seasons, giving every season to some singer with a backstory, that America is running out of original talent to showcase...Everything has been done before...Nothing's new anymore! Has this show jumped the shark? I'll at least keep in mind that there have only been a few singers so far...But this season's barely started, and I'm sure we still have about a dozen more auditions to go...I'm hoping it gets better, because with the exception of five or less acts, nothing's standing out to me!

Killer1One

[11]May 22, 2012

JM5000 wrote:

Mir Money: Okay, I know he didn't go through, but I feel I oughta address this one...This is the first time I've seen a kid get buzzed off in the auditions. The producers probably usually don't send children with bad acts in because they don't want them to be humiliated on national television; They prefer to save their getting buzzed off for when the audience is forced to be polite and not boo off every act that sucks, and we all laugh at how ridiculous this performance was...No, any act that makes it past the auditions is no longer to be pitied (even if their later performances are complete jokes). The producers probably thought that this kid was going to be this season's Future Funk/SH'Boss Boys. But I'm glad Howard and Sharon looked past his pwecious wittle adowableness and decided that his rap skills are mediocre at best, regardless of his age. Though I can tell Killer is going to rant more about how spineless Howard has become...I mean, feeling bad for buzzing a kid and making him cry, I can understand...But deciding to send him through anyway out of pity? I'm glad Sharon and Howie decided to just cut the act here, because if this continued, the kid's feelings would only continue to be hurt...

Well said brother.... I would rant about Howard but you already said EXACTLY what i was going to say, also this line:

JM5000 wrote:

I don't wanna have to miss Piers, folks!

That is something i am officially starting to worry about.... however Sharon and Howie seem to be growing up or something...

JM5000 wrote:

Old Rapper: Another old person rapping...Nothing's original anymore...Well, anyway, I gotta say...This made me laugh my ass off! It WAS a bad act, it WAS utterly ridiculous...But that being said, it seemed to put a smile on everyone's face, including my own. In a way, I can actually see a rap like this predating the Sugarhill Gang and all those other early rap groups...So I'll give this guy a pass for tonight since everyone seems to love his so-bad-it's-good song. But...he'll probably be a one-hit wonder. Don't expect him to make it past the Quarter-Finals...But hey, that's AGT for ya...What'cha gonna do?

Okay, so aside from a few acts with some potential, this was a weak, weak night for talent! I'm hoping night #2 will be better, but still, if night #1 failed to impress, what are the odds on that? I think the sad thing about this show is that they missed out on so many great acts in their first five seasons, giving every season to some singer with a backstory, that America is running out of original talent to showcase...Everything has been done before...Nothing's new anymore! Has this show jumped the shark? I'll at least keep in mind that there have only been a few singers so far...But this season's barely started, and I'm sure we still have about a dozen more auditions to go...I'm hoping it gets better, because with the exception of five or less acts, nothing's standing out to me!

I am starting to feel this is the year of the "FUNNIER" copycats. Seriously. I have seen at least 5 copies of past season acts (that were classified as ORIGINAL) by now and we are only 3 episodes in. Meh What'cha gonna do? XD

JM5000

[12]May 22, 2012

Here are my thoughts on Night #2 in New York:

Ventriloquist: Some funny bits in this one, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the faces a tad creepy...Oh well, it's interesting, and the humor was alright. I'm curious to see what this guy does in the future...

Donovan and Rebecca: This could be a good act if they know what to add to it. They're very strong and flexible, and I see promise...

Bollywood dance troupe: This one looks like it could be a good act...Though they better watch it, because looking at the track record of Bollywood acts, they never make it further than the Quarter-Finals.

Female Band: Only saw a brief moment, but they didn't sound too bad...I'll give them a chance.

All-Beef Patty: Again, only heard a brief clip from this one, but from what I did hear, it doesn't sound half bad, especially considering that drag queen acts usually suck...

Tom Cotter: Some good, Dangerfield-esque humor right here. The jokes were all witty, and I wish this guy the best of luck; He has my support!

Stepz: The names on this show are getting less and less original...But anyway, despite Howard's insistence that this can't fill a stage, I still liked it. Some crazy flexible and robotic moves coming from this one...I think Turf might have a rival...

Savage Men: I know they didn't go through, but still, I really do wonder why they were saved for last...They probably should have gone first instead, but I guess it wouldn't have built up to that big, Howard Stern striptease...Ugh...Glad he didn't go too far...

Overall, not a bad improvement from last night...The acts that made it through generally had me interested, and they were much better than a man getting beaten in the crotch or "What'cha gonna do?" And it's quite ironic, because last night, there were only three acts that got buzzed off, two of which were building up to another good one, and the other made us feel bad for him. Tonight's auditions, while not super-amazing, were still much better than last night. They must have just been getting the lesser acts out of the way last night and then moved on to the real deal tonight. But anyway, I'm still disappointed that there was nothing huge. I expected the show to end with something amazing, and we get a bunch of male strippers. Also, I really don't see why they couldn't just show this last night and move on to the next auditions tonight...Oh well, there were some good acts tonight, and Howard's dad was quite funny...We'll just see what next week has in store...

marvelfan89

[13]May 23, 2012

I thought they were better than the Cali auditions (though not by much).

Won't give the play the play, but I loved the dog act. The dog acts from past haven't been that bad, it's just that animals are so unpredictable. The guy said they were strays, but more likely long time pets for them to do what they did. Nonetheless, it was an impressive effort, don't know what they can do as encore, but I hope the owner treats them well.

I didn't think Stepz was anything special, those robotic moves are pretty easy to do. He got the sympathy vote imo with the grandma being there.

The comedians they had were pretty funny. Lastly the acrobat duo Rebecca/Donovan? Were very good amazing display of strength and agility. You can tell by how good the acts whose been doing what for a long time, they just need that national spotlight to really lift their careers.

"Horace" was just a clown, I believe he wasn't wearing a cup, but most definitely he must have downed a dozen or so painkillers prior to the "act."

"Rapping Grandpa" was pitiful as hell, jesus I hate it when they mock these people by moving them to Vegas just tell them on and be done with it instead of giving them praise over their bad act.

Edited on 05/24/2012 9:04am

modernfamily120

[14]May 28, 2012
    • level: 20

I can't stnad Howard Stern. Seriously. Peirs was the best.

Also, THEY SHOULD'VE COME TO SEATTLE! WE HAVE ALL OF THE TALENT IN THE NORTHWEST!

JM5000

[15]May 30, 2012

Apologies to everyone for my inactivity; It's been a busy last couple of days. Though I DID see the episodes, so let's waste no time:

Inspire the Fire: Corny as it was (if less so than Glee), it wasn't a bad act. I'm willing to give credit to acts who can sing AND dance. Not my favorite, but I like them well enough...

All That: Not bad for a bunch of guys who resemble those male strippers from last week...Clogging appears to be a rising trend on this show...

The Distinguished Men of Brass: This was actually quite enjoyable. Might be more like a parade act...But you know what? I think these guys have promise...

Ulysses: Now don't get me wrong, this guy DOES have a nice singing voice...That being said, singing the theme songs to nostalgic TV shows does not make a million dollar act. He says he has a variety of songs; If he can display his singing skills with a more prominent genre of music, then we'll talk...

So overall, not very many acts standing out in this one. Here's the next episode:

Isaac Brown: Not bad for a six-year-old, he has a very likeable personality and all...But still, I doubt he'll have much else to offer at his age...

Spencer Horseman: A very good escape act...I wonder what else he can do...

Clogging Group: Yeah, I'm getting a bit tired of the whole clogging thing...

Violin Player: Honestly, I forgot about this guy almost instantly...But I respect instrument acts in general, so I'll give him a chance...

Several potentially enjoyable acts flashing across the screen later...

Guitar Kid: Okay, I guess...Kinda bland...

Several MORE potentially enjoyable acts flashing across the screen later...

The Cut Throat Freak Show: I know sideshow acts get a pretty bad rap on this show...But I think these guys had pretty good showmanship. I'm willing to give them a chance, even if their later acts are likely going to be much of the same...

And then we end the show with a guy who tries out as a movie voiceover (he's good at it, but I agree with Howard that it's not an act), and a wannabe Rick James impersonator who sucks hard but still gets an encore with Nick and that last guy. Why are so many shows nowadays closing with bad acts!? There's gotta be some kind of pre-arrangement that Nick will dance with them or Howard will strip with them, because that's the only reason why they would save such acts for last...

But anyway, the first show was mediocre, the second show was okay. But one thing I just can't stop thinking about was the teaser for next week's episode...Auditions will be held in Texas, and they will include that human cannonball I brought up before...And then someone will "change the competition", and blow the judges away. Anyone else worried that this is going to be our obvious winner for this season? I'm wondering who it might be...Maybe it will be something unique and amazing, but it could very well be that 30-something-year-old male singer I'm so worried is going to win again this season. The only other act who hasn't been brought on yet who I saw in the preview for the season (and who got quite a bit of hype) is that emo-looking guy who sings opera in the higher register. Could it be him?

Well, until then, feel free to post your thoughts on that as well as on this week's auditions...

JM5000

[16]Jun 4, 2012

Tonight, auditions were held in Austin, Texas, and let me tell you, the phrase "Everything's Bigger in Texas" applies for this season! By far the best show so far this season, with more stand-out acts than usual and MUCH less focus on the joke acts. It looks like this city isn't fooling around! There were only three acts they showed that didn't make it, and once more, two were simply building up to another good act, and the other one was portrayed sympathetically (and aside from Sharon and Howard, nobody was booing her). But we're not here to talk about those acts; We're here to talk about the acts that were let through, and let me tell you, they ALL had something to offer:

Sebastien "El Charro de Oro": We start off with a very likeable little boy providing lead vocals for a mariachi band. He has a very good voice and provides plenty of charisma. If he plays his cards right, he and his group could go far this season!

Bandbaz Brothers: No doubt they were shaky, but I can't help but wonder if it was part of the act. I think it's very impressive, especially considering one of them is close to 60 years old! This act has a lot of promise...I just hope there's no injuries in the future due to the older one's age...

Timothy Michael Poe: This guy's sure to sucker in some votes with his ultra-tragic backstory. It worries me how far he's going to make it because of this alone...Nonetheless, a country singer's already won this show, and while it is very impressive how well he could sing with that major stutter, it's still not nearly up to standards with Michael Grimm or Landau, so I doubt he'll win...Still, very impressive!

Contortionists: These two showed some good moves in the brief moment we watched them. Best of luck to them! (Howard stated that he loves contortionists, and yet he didn't like Stepz last week...Ironic...)

Singing Kid: He has a good voice...Again, there's nothing else to say since we only saw a brief moment of him...

Joe Castillo: This was a unique and interesting act, if not incredibly cheesy with the pandering to all those redneck patriots who swarm around this state...But he's going to have to present something new to the act if he wants to make it any farther than the Quarter-Finals. Nonetheless, nice sand-drawing skills...

David Smith, Jr.: And here we reach Mr. Human Cannonball himself! There's not much to say that I haven't already said...It was a good danger act, like Professor Splash. He might be able to put in some extra props, like fire hoops and whatnot, like Professor Splash. But nonetheless, it is not quite an act that can be held up for Vegas; It's more like a circus act, like Professor Splash. Overall, I'll support him for now, since it gives me a nice danger act to watch, but still, don't expect him to make it any farther than Professor Splash...

And those are my two cents...Maybe it's just in comparison to the other episodes so far, but this has been a very enjoyable show for me. Here's hoping for some more magic tomorrow night...And judging from the teaser, there will be a lot of it!

Killer1One

[17]Jun 5, 2012
    Texas you did it! Very good episode packed with contestants that were interesting at the very least. The Mariachi kid is indeed talented, but i feel he is in the wrong country doing this. I mean this kind of music is not america's cup of tea. But for what is worth he is indeed talented.

The acrobatic duo, was actually pretty good. If they find a way to mix it up enough to make it interesting and avoid being repetitive they are in for the long haul.

Timothy Michael Poe: I appreciate and admire people who risk their necks for their countries. I respect him. That being said, he is a DANGER in this show. Not only this guy can play the : "Like me because i was in the military" card. He can also play the "I was severely injured serving my country" card, heck that is not even mentioning the miraculous "Singing heals my wounds" card plus HE IS A SINGER a COUNTRY SINGER. Granted he is not bad, but if we are not careful enough HE WILL WIN this competition standing on likeability alone (KEVIN SKINNER ANYONE?).

Contortionists being contortionists (they were good). The kid that sang was good but easily forgettable. Joe Castillo: Good, Original, Talented, but no chance of winning whatsoever. He can play the "i am unusual card" now, but it is going to run out, and we all know how all this "Beauty and art" acts end up.

Professor splash... i mean David Smith, Jr: The human cannonball. His act is good, but how much can he innovate? His act is great and dangerous, but i would argue that he can't introduce enough variety to make it interesting through a whole season of this show. Professor splash anyone? One marvelous trick pony? So i agree and almost stole JMs argument for this guy.

Good episode overall. The judges were INCREDIBLY balanced and mature, and when i say that of a group of people that includes Howard Stern and Howie Mandel, it is not to be taken lightly. Congratulations to the 3 judges great job last night. But to be fair it was a great night to be a judge.

JM5000

[18]Jun 5, 2012

Auditions in Austin continue, and I have to say, it wasn't NEARLY as good as last night...That being said, it wasn't bad. There were definitely a few notable acts (some even great). So let's waste no time:

Aurora Light Painters: Now I will start by saying that this was a cool and unique act...That being said, any act that focuses on a screen rather than the stage does not make a very good Vegas act. I'll support these guys for now, since it's a nice spectacle, but they're definitely not going to win.

Eric & Olivia: Now I'm willing to admit when a singer's good, and Olivia, let me tell you, was VERY good! I WAS, however, hoping they would sing as a duo, which would have made things more interesting...(You ever notice how every singing act has either one singer, one GOOD singer, or one that's much better than the others?) But still, very good voice, one of the best so far this season! I'm also getting the impression that Howard shares our opinions on singers winning and how not-so-special they are, but is willing to admit when they are good, like me. Howie, however...I really hate how he likes the dumbest acts and rejects some of the good ones...Plus, he's been more accepting of inferior singers...Quite the hypocrite, that man...

Eric Diddleman: I think it was pretty obvious that he was wearing an earpiece. It's kind of like Landon Swank, in that it's easy to figure out the trick...But at least Landon made his tricks an enjoyable spectacle; This guy has nothing going for him but an easy-to-figure-out mind-trick, and I honestly don't see what he can add to it. He made it to Vegas, but I think that's as far as he'll go...

Aerial Dancer: This one looks promising...Best of luck to her...

Female Singer: Good, but not great...

Dancer: This guy who kind of looks like a cross between Daniel Radcliffe and Elijah Wood had some pretty sweet moves...But he's still no Turf!

Andrew De Leon: And here we reach the show-stopper of the evening; This young man got quite a bit if hype, and if I hadn't seen the preview for this season, I would have been quite surprised. And let me say, he's the best singer so far this season! It's very unusual, and I have no idea where he might take this act, but nonetheless, he has my support. Now I definitely think he's the biggest standout of all the singers so far this season...Still, he has a few points against the odds of him winning: One, he's a LOT younger than the last couple of winners, who again, were all at least 30 years old, while he's not even 20 yet. Also, once more, the Season of Opera was Season 3, and opera singers have constantly made it far the next few seasons, but never again won. I have faith that Andrew can definitely make it far, but I don't think he'll win (but we'll just see)...Anyway, strong act to close out a strong run of auditions in the state of Austin, even if this night wasn't as great...

PS, I just read an article explaining that the country singer from last night wasn't actually injured in Afghanistan...It looks like he was making it all up to draw in the sympathy votes...I thought the whole backstory sounded a bit contrived, and the stutter sounded unconvincing, but I thought it would be tasteless to accuse him of being a con-man. Of course, I could be mistaken, in which case, I apologize, but that's what it sounds like...What do you guys think of this?

PPS, There's something wrong with this; It keeps bolding my text!

marvelfan89

[19]Jun 6, 2012

From all indications Tim Poe is a fraud. National Guard confirmed most if not all that he said was bs. Yes the sympathy votes gets you in the show practically, and it draws ratings. Terrible all around as America's Got Talent knows better.

I read a comment on the Facebook page that said he was still sent to the Vegas rounds and wasn't disqualified regardless.

I found the mind reading segment from last night to be really staged as well. Of course Howie, Sharon, and Howard drew themselves, and they drew easy body part-something that was already worked out among themselves and "mind reader". Eh, I hate the show when it's so fake you can point out whose pulling the strings.

Ok moving on Andrew De Leon was really good. Monday's show was pretty good that little Mexican boy really is a good talent. The Canonball stunt, yes you nailed it shades of Professor Splash. He's not going anywhere, but it will give the guy unneeded exposure.

Edited on 06/06/2012 8:30am

Killer1One

[20]Jun 6, 2012
    So the guy was a fraud? I am not sure either but i sensed something off with him. All about him was incredibly convenient. He did not stutter when he sang, he did not stutter afterwards when he talked to Nick. And even Nick said: "You did not stutter at all on that last sentence". The truth is people are figuring out how to manipulate this show and we are going to get a lot of people that is going to try. As i said i am not sure about this, can someone point me to the article please? But yeah, it was very suspicious for me from the start. And that guy had a video piece and all. How many auditions have pictures and structured stories like that, meh i don't know.
    Edited on 06/06/2012 8:45am