America's Got Talent Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 8

JM5000

[1]Jun 3, 2013
    • level: 7

Hello again, fellow AGT forumers!!!

Tomorrow night is the much hyped premiere of America's Got Talent Season 8! For those of you who don't know, with Sharon Osbourne's departure, two new female judges will step in. One is Melanie Brown, AKA "Scary Spice" from the 90s pop group, the Spice Girls. The other is "Project Runway" host and judge Heidi Klum. Hopefully they will both prove to be good judges with a strong eye for talent!

Now last year was quite an emotional rollercoaster...On one hand, it was the first ever season where the winner was someone who in no way involves singing in their act, hopefully making way for more variety and uniqueness this season...On the other hand, the winner was still not exactly the best choice, and I haven't really heard anything from them since...Not to mention all the acts that didn't have a clear idea of what they would offer with their talents. Even the best acts could have offered so much more than they have given...

Now with a non-singer FINALLY winning last season, I have decided to mellow out on what I expect from the winner this season...As long as it's an act that truly stands out, that made a strong impression in their performances, and did so without any major flaws that would ruin the promise of them running a show in Vegas, I don't care whether it's a singer or not...However, that doesn't mean I want the judges to have any bias based on singers either: No going too easy on them and allowing America to vote them through despite them not deserving it, and no judging them unfairly and defying the promise they hold. If they have that special quality that we have seen in Jackie Evancho or Prince Poppycock, then by all means give them a chance! But if they're not that great, let them know, because America WILL vote them through if they hold the Handicaps of Cuteness, Attractiveness or Sympathy!

Overall, I hope this season proves better than last season, with acts that are not only talented, but also UNIQUE and ORIGINAL! A lot of the best acts last season were clearly inspired by acts that came before them...Even the best acts had room for improvement; William Close for instance may have been great, but I felt like he was capable of so much more! Part of the problem was that the judges were not as strict on their expectations as they could have been. Hopefully with two new judges and Howard a little more experienced, they will be able to weed out the lesser acts and help the better ones improve.

Here's to a great season!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

modernfamily120

[2]Jun 4, 2013
    • level: 20

It begins tonight, my summer obsession! It's great to see Howie back! Can't say the same about Howard. And the two new judges...don't know how much I will like them. I'm hoping that I'll end up liking one of them, because I highly doubt I'll like both of them.

Now to talk about my hopes/expectations for the talent! For some reason, I really want a good comedian that can go far in the competition, as Tom Cotter did last year. I also hope for an oustanding singer and a unique singer. I want an awesome dance team. I want an act that has to do with art, such as David Garibaldi and his CMYKs last year. I DO NOT want a dance team that dances with lights on them in the dark. Please! Lastly, I want a few unique acts! Be outstanding and/or unique!

Anyway, I'll watch the auditions, but don't expect me to be posting here about them, because there are too many too fast to mention. Once we get to Vegas, you will see my opinion. But I may post on here with kind of like general thoughs during the auditions. Until then, be oustanding and/or unique!

JM5000

[3]Jun 4, 2013

So as I sat my B-Double-O-T-Y (That's right!) on the couch to watch the first show of the new season, things got off to a promising start.

First, Nick Cannon gave us a fun little intro as he danced along to "Living in America", meeting the judges along the way (and a naked Howie) and getting the audience hyped up.

The season begins, the new judges take their seats, and hundreds of acts are just itching to display their talents to America:

David "The Cobra Kid" Weathers: Leading off this season's acts, a man puts a balloon in his mouth and lures a rattlesnake to pop it with its venomous fangs. An intense performance, and a nice signal of what is to come. We'll just see what he has to offer in Vegas...

Marty Brown: I was almost sure that this man was gonna be another Kevin Skinner wannabe who would end up being a horrible singer; As it turned out, the overall reaction to him was very similar to Skinner...I'm willing to give him a chance...

Catapult Entertainment: A very similar premise as Silhouettes, only potentially superior. Having seen an act like this before, it's nothing new, but it was enough of a step up from the fluffy storytelling of Silhouettes that I am willing to give them a shot...

Hype: Probably my favorite act so far (though I like all of the acts that moved on tonight). It started out looking like a lame Broadway-type dance, until the beat dropped and they put on a crazy breakdancing routine. These guys have my support!

Aerialist: Not bad...We'll see what else he has...

The "Comedian": The screen was a really neat effect, and I look forward to seeing what else this individual has to offer...

Kid the Wiz: Neat little routine...Not sure how far he'll go on juggling his hat, but for now, I enjoyed him.

Anna Christine: Looks like we have this season's singing prodigy! You must admit, that voice is pretty low for a girl of ten. (When I first saw her, I thought she was at least twelve or thirteen.) Anyway, yes, she's quite amazing...

3Penny Chorus and Orchestra: I think I might have seen these people put on this same performance on Youtube...We'll just see what songs they'll cover next...

Pacifc Boys Choir: I'm sure Howard wasn't the only one who had chills...I hope to see more from these boys...

Special Head: Now this one was quite a surprise...We had the typical build-up for a ridiculous act: A young, white monk who talks like a psycho, meditates a lot, goes missing when he's expected onstage, gets a bewildered reaction from the judges, seems to just chant weirdly throughout his act, gets buzzed and has the audience booing at him...All before revealing the real part of his act, where he seems to levitate off of his crutch! Now I could probably pass this off as a simple illusion, but for now, I give this man props for changing the tide so quickly. It was a neat trick (however he might have pulled it off), and I am curious to see what he does next...Maybe he'll be a bad act in the long run, but for now, he has earned his place in Vegas.

Angela Hoover: A nice set of impressions with a funny premise...I enjoyed her and wish her luck!

Tone the Chiefrocca: His intention was to become a one hit wonder...I think he succeeded. B-Double-O-T-Y was a fun little rap number, very catchy, so hard to get it out of your head, and I'm sure he won't come up with anything better. In the long run, he CLEARLY isn't fit for the game, since that song is all he has. Being a one hit wonder automatically puts him on the Vegas chopping block, and he'll very likely be eliminated...And I don't think he'll care. He did what he came to do, and chances are, we'll have that song on iTunes in no time, and he'll make a lot of money off of it! So yeah, I have no problem with this guy...as long as the judges aren't dumb enough to put him through to the Quarter-Finals. Until then, I'm thinking he should have a rap-off with the "What'cha gonna do?" guy.

So overall, a nice way to open the season. There were only a few bad acts, and the ones that made it through all impressed me to some degree, even Mr. One Hit Wonder...And what's more, the imagery of what I saw for next week definitely look promising as well...If it's anywhere as good as tonight, as well as the other audition shows, we may have a strong season on our hands!

Killer1One

[4]Jun 5, 2013
    • level: 12
    Hello everybody and we are back once again!!!!!!

Something i do need to get off my chest: I hate the blonde judge, i am sorry really, she might be the most wonderful person in the world but i find her dull. Mel; B is ok.... for now. Before i understood the roles that each judge had but man, i feel we have one too many judges... I hope she gets better though.

modernfamily120

[5]Jun 6, 2013

After watching the premire, I liked most of the acts that went through (with the exception of B double-O T Y). Now my thoughts, on the new judges. I want to slice the table perfectly in half and keep Howie and Mel B there and throw the other half of Howard and Heidi off a cliff. Heidi is extremely annoying, even worse than Howard! I hope she does not return for season 9.

Antique22

[6]Jun 11, 2013
    • level: 11

In my eyes America's Got Talent has gone from being a great talent show to worse and I don't know why NBC continues to have it every summer. Ever since Howard Stern replaced Piers Morgan last season of America's Got Talent have gone downhill and starting with this season I think America's Got Talent will be starting to go in the American Idol direction and be a lot less Star Search like. Another thing America's Got Talent has done and I cannot understand why they did this is why do they have Melanie Brown from Spice Girls and Victoria's Secret star Heidi Klum as judges when in reality Heidi Klum is a model and Melanie Brown is a singer with lots of talent experience.If I was America's Got Talent I would've chosen Jon Cryer Bonnie Hunt or singer Lance Bass in Howie Mandel's place and that would be much better and give big ratings to America's Got Talent. I can predict that this season will be the final season of America's Got Talent if they can improve it much more. The second thing I have noticed about America's Got Talent is every time they're down to the finalists they have one annoying part of the show where they make singers like Mariah Carey Nicki Minaj Bruno Mars Blake Shelton and Christina Aguilera do mini concerts performing their new songs to promote their new cds and I think that America's Got Talent should let the singers cheer on the acts in the audience rather than sing. In my eyes America's Got Talent has gone downhill and should be improved,

Do You Agree?,

Tiki

Like_Clockwork

[7]Jun 11, 2013
    • level: 3
    Antique22 wrote:

Do You Agree?,

To an extent, but I might interpret it differently. Tonight and the season premiere were slow and stale. At least last season cycled through acts a bit faster and were less dramatic. It doesn't even feel like a competition anymore, everything has been soup-for-the-soul drama and it's clear that it's becoming more and more relevant every new season. I only recall one person being X'ed out I think of the two episodes. Oh look, a guy with an acoustic guitar, how fresh. Terrible life you say? I'm really starting to HATE the soulful guy with the acoustic guitar. It's D-baggery and it's one of the biggest romantic cliches out there. As an advertising major, this and other silly cliches was what I was taught to avoid in college.

The only acts I have an interest in following was Catapult and that throat singing Guru/illusionist, both from the premiere. The rest was crap I've seen 1000 times before.

JM5000

[8]Jun 11, 2013

Travis Pratt: Well, after Andrew De Leon, I guess high-pitched male opera singing is now a thing on this show...But yes, he did well...

Ruby and Jonas/DeAngelo and Amanda: An elephant in the room I must address...Just how persistent IS that Miami All-Stars guy!? First he brings in his own dance troupe, they're great...One season later, he brings in the child version, with his own kids in it, they're great too...And now he has not ONE, but TWO of his own kids joining two separate dance duos! I mean, yes, they were both very good...But first of all, it's kind of more fun watching these kinds of acts in a large group...Second...Seriously!? You coach TWO SEPARATE ACTS with your own kids now!? This guy's starting to look desparate...I'm kinda hoping neither of these duos get very far...

Mariachi Nuevo Estillo: This was fun, I enjoyed them...

Brad Byers: The X-ray was an interesting touch...If he can find other things like that to decorate his later performances, he might hold up...

Collins Key: This was actually a nice trick! I look forward to seeing what else he can do...

Megan Piphus: Now I remember this girl from a few seasons ago with her Youtube video audition. I guess she decided to go to the actual show this time since she didn't get the right attention last time. Anyway, approaching Terry Fator standards is gonna be tough...But with her ability to switch between pop songs and opera songs, she has a lot of potential...

Jonathan Allen: Probably my favorite singer so far! Opera singers have become WAY too common on this show, but again, one must consider how talented they are, and so therefore, he has my blessings!

Alexandria the Great: Now this is new...A middle-aged woman performing an escape trick...Well, she seems promising, so we'll just see what's next for her...

Sam Johnson: Every season, there's that one act that's so amazing and dangerous, but the problem is, it's not for Vegas...It's for the circus! He's probably my favorite circus-type performer yet, because doing a handstand on an eighty-foot pole is about as daring as one can get...But you know the drill, his limited range for Vegas will lose him some votes, but the judges will probably put him through to the quarter-finals anyway...We'll just see how much he can up the ante until his inevitable elimination...

Paul Thomas Mitchell: How do you top balancing on an eighty-foot pole? (Eighty feet is pretty tough to top...) Apparently, you don't...They basically just winded down with another sob-story. He sang well, the song wasn't bad, there were no miscarried notes...But you know how these pretty-boy guitarists tend to do...They may get their share of votes, but they'll never reach that level of popularity that is possessed by the child singer or the unique "I-had-no-idea-he/she-was-that-good" singer...Granted, some like him have made it to the Top 10, but with the tough love finally being given to singers likely still in effect, he probably won't go any farther than the semi-finals...But until then, he did well...

modernfamily120

[9]Jun 12, 2013

One thing I really want to say about last night's show, I can't believe that the sword swollower got 3 yeses and no buzzes! I can't even look at that kind of act! Sharon would have buzzed him! In season 5 or 6 I don't think he could have made it because only Howie would have said yes. Howard enjoyed way too much, but I expected that. I did not expect both Heidi and Howie to vote yes though. I am glad that Mel B kept her sanity and said no. I hated this act and I will be very upset if he gets past Vegas.

Killer1One

[10]Jun 19, 2013
    • level: 12

Oh my..... We had a very strong episode of AGT last night. Give that Kenichi Guy a Million Bucks!!!!!! And yes i still hate Heidi with a passion. That woman says the dumbest things, she basically told the 19 year old kid (Sprice) that anyone could do what he does, but then try to say he is special at the same time? PLEAAAAAAAAASE. Also Mel B. Needs to get a personality ASAP, and do something more than pretend to be astonished at EVERYTHING. I have seriously seen her with a cold reaction to stuff that everyone liked and then when she sees everybody standing up.... well you know what i mean. The Chinese woman was also very good. I would like to go into detail about each act, but i am going to start doing that as soon as we get to Vegas week.

JM5000

[11]Jun 19, 2013

Omega Force Strength Team: Quite ironic that we start such a STRONG episode with such strong people...Also ironic that they were the weakest act of the night. On one hand, what they did was pretty amazing (I was quite impressed by the brick-breaking). But aside from displaying their strength, what can they do to really make a show? The Strong Man from a couple years ago had this problem, and these people probably won't be much different...Until then, they're a welcome addition...

Tae Kwon Do Act: I'm all for ANY martial arts act that wants to try out, so these guys are a very welcome addition.

Equilibrium Act: Another amazing feat pulled off with such a small child...Of course, that may prove a problem, as where the judges are all for ADULTS getting themselves into dangerous situations, they might feel obliged to protect the children...

Kenichi Ebina: This guy stole the whole show! It can be tough for solo dance acts, but his dance was good enough that he holds a lot of potential...

Deana DellaCioppa: Another strong contender in the singing category...Vegas is gonna have some stiff competition, and there's a good chance that not all these great singers will make it through.

Sprice: Following in the footsteps of the Kinetic King will not be easy, especially when comparing his big contraptions with this guy's traditionally small one. But it WAS still a good device, and this guy will probably come up with something bigger as the game progresses...He just needs to make sure they go off without a hitch...

Ron Niu: This was VERY impressive...Question is, what else can she do? Amazing danger acts like this tend to be at their best during auditions...But you never know, maybe she'll find a way...

American Military Spouses Choir: Now I read the AGT articles by Michael Ross on Examiner.com, and I think he put it best: "It pains me every time I see an act competing to raise awareness for a cause or who otherwise pledges their act to it, because the judges have never put such an act through into the Top 48 no matter how good they are. And it needs to be said that this group does have its imperfections. Chiefly, the choir aspects are somewhat of an afterthought, with the performance instead being dominated by five lead singers with the chorus just acting as an accompaniment. These five center stage women were all exceptional vocalists, but judged as a chorus, it will look like the talent is too lopsided. Or at least that's what Howie Mandel will likely be saying about them to make sure the other judges don't take away a spot from one of his crap acts that he wants to force us to sit through." I would like to point out that this guy writes a LOT about how bad of a judge Howie is (even though it's not too far from the truth...) At least for now, these ladies are a worthy addition to our Vegas acts...

modernfamily120

[12]Jun 20, 2013

I really agree with JM about the strength act and the choir, I very highly doubt either will make it through Vegas.

JM5000

[13]Jun 26, 2013

This was a questionable show...After last week's dud-free episode, I guess the producers wanted to make up for lost time by taking up half the episode with joke acts...On the other hand, there were a few standout acts:

The Struck Boyz: They were quite good for their age, but I kinda forgot about them as the night went on...

KrisStef Brothers: I'll skip the obvious jokes and just say that these guys pulled off some pretty amazing feats...Worthy addition...

Hammerstep: THIS is one of THE breakout acts so far! I'm not usually big on clogging, but their moves were just so creative and perfectly executed that I can't help but root for them. The only question is what's up with the gas masks? I dunno, I guess they'll be wearing different kinds of masks and costumes every time they perform...

Arayln & Izzy: Okay, it was hilarious how they built up this cute little girl before she started screaming like a banshee...But for the love of god, don't let them into the Top 48...They're too young to be humiliated and pushed into the same category we've seen the likes of Mary Ellen and Big Barry in...Which is, "The Howie-Approved Joke Acts". If they have any common decency, they will drop them in Vegas...

Virginia State University Gospel Chorale: These people were enjoyable, but I don't think they'd be nearly as good without their lead singer...If things don't work out for them this year, Bernard can always come back next year as a solo artist...

Brandon & Savannah: The song was alright, the singing was good...But I can't help but wonder what lies ahead for them in terms of this act...

Taylor Williamson: Clearly taking notes from Jacob Williams, this guy...I dunno, maybe he'll get better, but for now, his material wasn't the funniest...

Nathan Phan: After he dropped the stupid singing bit, the "Sleight of Mouth" trick proved quite nice...But I do feel that with what he attempted at first, his goofball tricks could be his undoing...

Forte: This is the act that was built up throughout the entire show...And I am SO glad it was a standout act, and not a Big Barry type of act...(If we get another show that ends with a joke act, then things won't be looking good for this season...) I take back what I said last week about that other opera singer...These guys are now my favorite singing act!

JM5000

[14]Jul 3, 2013

Kelsey and Bailey: After Olate Dogs last season, this act comes off as a joke...

Circus Family: Or is it Family Circus? Well, anyway, I think that comic would be a million times more entertaining if Billy, Dolly, Jeffy and PJ were riding unicycles! Some nice tricks from this family...

Singer: Not bad...

Flatscreen Dancers: I guess this is now a rising trend...It was okay, but it has that cheesy, preachy feel to it...I've seen better...

David Ferman: Very impressive...But I am NOT looking forward to seeing his almost-guaranteed failure in later performances...

Chicago Boyz Acrobatic Team: This was quite impressive...I hope that kid is feeling alright after being used as a human jumprope...

2Unique: Ehhhhhhhh...I guess the DJ was alright...Hopefully, the rapper writes her future raps...The reason why rapping someone else's song doesn't work on this show is because you have no talent to display in the process (like you do with a song that requires a great singing voice). While I'm still not thinking the act will be that good, it will be a step up from just rapping lyrics that somebody else wrote...

Innovative Force: From what little we saw, this act seemed quite amazing...

Ciana Pelekai: That's right folks, she's back! ...And was reduced to a simple 30-second clip. Almost as outrageous as when she got eliminated in Season 4...But nonetheless, she sounded amazing, and might give some tough competition to that 10-year-old who auditioned in Week 1...

Kruti Dance Academy?: At least, that's what some are speculating it as...Whatever it is, it looks quite promising...But don't expect them to make it too far, since Bollywood-type acts never seem to make it past the first round...

Sully Dunn: I...really don't know what to make of this guy...I wasn't too impressed by the song, and his voice was kind of in-and-out...Maybe he will learn to improve when the stakes get bigger in Vegas...

Brandon James: Damn! So many male opera singer this season! It's so hard to pick a favorite now...We'll just see how he holds up against the other guys...

Dave Fenley: This guy is a new and unique type of singer for this show...He has my support!

Dancing Dylan Wilson: This was impressive, but he's got some VERY tough competition with Ebina...To the point that he has very little chance against him...

Lil Mike and Funny Bone: Clearly another joke act by nature, but again, they had a fun (albeit stupid) rap song. I'm gonna root for them for now, since they'll at least be a better addition to the Top 48 than the B-Double-O-T-Y guy (at least they have more than one song...)

American Hitmen: And we bring tonight home with a very compelling and very likeable band of war veterans...Like Stern, I too would like to see a great band on this show, and these guys hold about as much promise as any band that's ever competed...However, as Michael Ross on Examiner.com points out once more, "The greatest cause for concern is over the fact that at least three of the band's members are ex-marines and Iraq war veterans, and anything inspiring like that typically winds up getting used as fodder." I'm hoping these guys make it past Vegas, because they might be one of my favorite acts so far...

JM5000

[15]Jul 9, 2013

All right, I was so bored by the majority of acts tonight, that I'm just gonna keep this brief by naming the three unique acts that truly stood out to me...

Balloon Lady: This was very unique and new...I don't know what to expect of her in the future, but for now, I greatly enjoyed her...

Ice Skaters: I see a lot of potential in this act! I wish them the best!

Sensation: It's strange...I've been growing weary of these light-up acts over the years...And yet this one managed to be very fresh and new! I think this might be my favorite act so far! And to hell with Heidi! Her rejection of this act is just one of the many stupid things she said tonight, and I'm really starting to see what others hate about her...She should leave AGT and go back to judging fashion designers, like she's good at!

Aside from that...meh...There were some talented people, the singers were good but nothing special (MAYBE the girl at the beginning), the band was alright, it was interesting seeing that stomach-slap act from Youtube (look it up if you haven't seen it), and...yeah. There were still some major disappointments, like that Captain Explosion guy they were building up all week...Also, not a good sign that they ended the show with that horrible pun prop guy...I am SO glad these auditions end tomorrow...

JM5000

[16]Jul 10, 2013
    You know, I'm pretty pissed off by this episode! I mean, this was supposed to be the final set of auditions we see before getting to the juicy stuff, so I was hoping for at least one or two standouts. The closest we came tonight were the black country singer and the pole dancer...That's it...Everyone else was just so stock! I mean, I feel bad...I know they're talented. A good singer is a good singer...Question is, what else are they? Like I said before, I don't mind a singer winning this season as long as it is someone who stands out in such a unique and exciting way...And unfortunately, out of all the solo singers who appeared in the auditions this year, the biggest standouts were two young girls who we all know aren't gonna win...

All the other genres of acts I think are doing okay...But honestly, it doesn't look good for the singers this year. And as if it wasn't bad enough, the lady who appeared at the end who was crazy for Stern...Ugh...Where to start? Not only was she the last act of the night, not only was she the last act of the televised auditions...But she was REALLY being built up! The promos called her "the most memorable audition of the season", and they showed Stern calling her the new Susan Boyle...I figured that they were falsely advertising her, but since she was closing the auditions, I still got my hopes up...When she finally showed up, she was portrayed as a creepy stalker...But I STILL got my hopes up...Maybe she'll be a big surprise and bring the house down! LO AND BEHOLD...she was a joke act...ALL THIS BUILD-UP! And the last act of the auditions winds up being a joke act! She didn't even move on (although it probably would have been an even bigger slap in the face if she did...)

And this raises the question: What happened to great singing acts!? I mean seriously, almost every singer this season...I get my hopes up for something new and exciting, instead I get either something I've seen a million times before or something new...but a complete joke! I can also feel this way at times towards other types of acts, but still, the singers have a problem. Can't there be any singers who can sing a genre of music that we haven't heard on this show yet? And for that matter, something I truly like? Where are the rock or metal singers that don't suck!? Why does it always have to be pop and country!? I'm so sick of those genres! Having a singing voice is one thing, but why are there so few singing acts on this show that can put on an entertaining performance as well? WHY, WHY, WHY!?!?!?

...Ugh...I'm getting worked up over one show. It's just a big disappointment, especially when I spend a lot of time picturing some unique new acts that can come on the show...Hell, I practically wrote a fanfic in my mind with a whole bunch of fan acts, that's how obsessed I've become with this show! I've fallen in love with the unique acts which got me hooked on it in the first place...But with so many disappointing seasons behind them, they're running out of fresh new talent! Pretty soon, the whole show will just be hip-hop dance groups, guys with guitars and 14-year-old girl singers...But again, I'm getting worked up over one stupid episode. I just wanted to get those thoughts off my chest...

So with all that said, let's talk about the highlights of the auditions and who will likely make the Top 48...

Best Singing Acts: Anna Christine, Forte, Ciana Pelekai, American Hitmen

Best Dance Acts: Hype, Kenichi Ebina, Hammerstep (Hmm...There actually weren't that many dance groups this season...That's weird...)

Best Danger Acts: Sam Johnson, Ron Niu, Balloon Acrobat, Ice Skaters

Best Variety Acts: Catapult Entertainment, Special Head, Collins Key, Sensation

Joke Acts: Tone the Chiefrocca, Aralyn & Izzy, Sully Dunn, Lil Mike and Funny Bone

Out of these acts I have named, I am thinking the most likely candidates to advance immediately are Forte, Kenichi, Johnson and Sensation (one from each category)...Maybe also Catapult and the ice skaters...We'll just see...

So yes...See you all next week for the Las Vegas Callbacks!

modernfamily120

[17]Jul 17, 2013

So it looks like no YouTube show this year. I haven't seen anything about it, and they are putting through 60 acts instead of 48. I hate how the judges automatically put 30 acts through and sent 4 home. I liked the seasons 5-6 format the best, where 10 acts where sent straight through Vegas, and none straight home. (I also liked the seasons 5-6 judges the best. But that's a discussion for another day.) I find it funny that last year the female singers category was a failure but this year they are all good (but I have to say that Skilyr Hicks was not as good as the rest). The kids category is also very tough, and I don't know how any more than 2Unique can be sent home. I thought that Ruby & Jonas were better than D-Angelo and Amanda, but Ruby & Jonas did have a mistake, but they did recover very quickly, and it is good that the judges were unsure if it was a mistake or not, because they handled it like professionals. Personally, I think that Comedy, Danger, Acrobat, and Danceareall easy picks (Taylor Williamson, John Wing; Daivd Ferman, Sam Johnson; Duo Resonance, Timber Brown; Hype, Dylan Wilson). Music Groups is really between Brandon & Savanah and American Hitmen. Those are my comments on last night. Tomorrow I will share my 30 picks.

STM56

[18]Jul 18, 2013
    • level: 1

Are these judges on crack? Some of their ludicrous decisions have made me angry enough to stop watching. I probably won't though. Some of the acts they sent straight to RCMH shouldn't have even made it to Vegas. One example are the guys that beat on the fat guys belly. I thought this show was supposed to be about discovering talent. I could do what those guys do. B-O-O-T-Y guy goes straight through? Come on. I enjoyed his act, but did he really deserve to go straight through?

And then the decisions last night after the Vegas performances. The screaming little girl is just plain awful. Talent? I don't think so.

The younger dancing duo FALLS DOWN on stage and still goes through? The hat flipper guy drops his hat TWICE and makes it through? I love the Chinese bowl flipper lady, but once she dropped a bowl she should have been gone. The young girls that rap and "DJ" are not my cup of tea. I just don't see the talent there. It just pisses me off to see these acts go through while people with true talent get sent home.

I just needed somewhere to rant and found this place. Thanks for listening.

JM5000

[19]Jul 18, 2013

STM56 wrote:

Are these judges on crack? Some of their ludicrous decisions have made me angry enough to stop watching. I probably won't though. Some of the acts they sent straight to RCMH shouldn't have even made it to Vegas. One example are the guys that beat on the fat guys belly. I thought this show was supposed to be about discovering talent. I could do what those guys do. B-O-O-T-Y guy goes straight through? Come on. I enjoyed his act, but did he really deserve to go straight through?

And then the decisions last night after the Vegas performances. The screaming little girl is just plain awful. Talent? I don't think so.

The younger dancing duo FALLS DOWN on stage and still goes through? The hat flipper guy drops his hat TWICE and makes it through? I love the Chinese bowl flipper lady, but once she dropped a bowl she should have been gone. The young girls that rap and "DJ" are not my cup of tea. I just don't see the talent there. It just pisses me off to see these acts go through while people with true talent get sent home.

I just needed somewhere to rant and found this place. Thanks for listening.

Every season we get these complaints about the judges' decisions...While I'm not entirely pleased myself for some of their choices, let's be frank here: Does it HAVE to be perfect!?

I mean, they already sent through practically the best acts we've seen so far...And sure, some mildly promising acts like the black country singer and the breakdancing kid didn't make it...But seriously, what were the odds for them to begin with? I'd say all the legitimately good acts they sent home wouldn't have made it any farther than the semi-finals...They were great, but not as great as a lot of the acts that DID make it...

As for the "bad" acts...Well, compared to previous seasons, this is probably the best set of "Howie-Approved Joke Acts" to date, because I think there's a silver lining to all of them. Tummy Talk is probably a LOT harder than it looks; Think of it as a drum act...only with a fat stomach. Granted, it's not something I would pay to see at Radio City, but it's worth watching on Youtube if you're in the mood for something entertainingly silly...Aaralyn and Izzy is annoying (like ALL screaming death metal songs), but still manages to be funny, so I would just humor them for now; They'll be gone soon. Sure, they're a child act and might sucker in some votes that way, but since they're competing the same night as Anna Christine, their chances of making it through are but a sliver...As for Tone...well...I'm not happy that they're letting him perform the same song again, but it's catchy enough...I don't consider any of these three acts good in any way, but knowing that they'll only perform once, I guess I can deal with them after seeing acts like Mary Ellen and Big Barry...

And yes, I won't deny that the younger dancing couple, the hat juggler and the bowl balancer made mistakes that should have warranted an elimination (especially since none of them hold much promise in the long run...) But we'll just see, maybe they'll step it up...Doubtful, but still...

So yeah, the judges' decisions are never really gonna please everyone...But I'm pretty sure their selections are also partially for variety...Because seriously, if they picked only the good acts (including the lesser ones), there would have been a few too many country singers...(Actually, I already kind of feel that way...)

Anyway, that's pretty much my review on Vegas Week...Next week, I root for Anna Christine, American Hitmen, Hype and Alexandria the Great...Maybe also Brandon James...

modernfamily120

[20]Jul 18, 2013

Here are my 30 picks. 20 of them the judges put through. 10 of them the judges eliminated.

DANGER: David Ferman, Sam Johnson

MUSIC GROUPS: Brandon & Savannah, American Hitmen

KIDS: Lil Demon, Melody Cabarello, D'Angelo & Amanda, Ruby & Jonas

COMEDY: Jimmy Failla, Taylor Williamson, John Wing

DANCE: Hype, Dylan Wilson

ACROBATIC: Duo Resonance, Timber Brown, KriStef Brothers

FEMALE SINGERS: Selena Myckenzie Gordon, Cami Bradley, Deanna DellaCioppa

KIDS MUSIC: Genesis Nava, Ciana Pelekai

MAGIC: Naathan Phan, Collins Key

VARIETY: Kennedy Davenport, Megan Piphus

MALE SINGERS: Dave Fenley, Marty Brown, Paul Thomas Mitchell, Jonathan Allen, Travis Pratt

Yes, I put both Ruby & Jonas and Megan Piphus down even though both acts made mistakes. Ruby & Jonas handled the mistake like professionals and were great other than that mistake. Megan Piphus was one of my last choices. I had made a list and there were 26 acts on that list, meaning there was room for 4 more, and she was the 3rd one of those 4. She is very talented, and she deserved a spot in the top 60. Also, you may notice, I have put down all five of the male singers. The male singers this year were very talented. Four of the five were on my list of 26, and the other, Dave Fenley, was my 2nd choice for the four remaining spots.

The Best Act (in my opinion) that the judges eliminated (last night): Travis Pratt (male soprano opera singer that is really great eliminated in Vegas. Hm, where have I seen that before?)

The Worst Act (in my opinion) that the judges selected to advance (last night): Kid the Wiz (if any act that messed up other than Ruby & Jonas should make it through, it should be Megan Piphus!)