America's Got Talent Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on NBCIn Season

Season 9

JM5000

[1]May 26, 2014
    • level: 7

Last time, on America's Got Talent...

Kenichi Ebina: (To his wife) I'm going to America to compete in a TV talent show...Take care of [whatever the daughter's name is again] while I'm gone...

Kenichi's Wife: Good luck, Kenichi...

Howie Mandel: I have a disorder...A disorder to like the worst acts ever...

Mel B.: Don't worry about it...When the choices for wild cards come around, I'll find the worst act possible and bring them back...

Tone the Chiefrocca: (To his partner) It's time to begin Operation: Ruin AGT...

Heidi Klum: Howard, I think I'm pregnant...and Kenichi's the father...

Jimmy Rose: I got the whole package...America's sure to automatically put me in the Top 3 at LEAST...

Ciana Pelekai: Hopefully I make it far this time-(Sees Anna Christine and Chloe Channell) Aww, crap...

Taylor Williamson: I'm an awkward geek, so I'm already guaranteed to make it to the finals...

Heidi Klum: Howard, I think I'm pregnant...and Jimmy Rose is the father...

That guy from the Chicago Boyz: OH NO! I BROKE MY LEG!

Was is Kris or Stefen?: OH NO! I BROKE MY NECK!

Heidi Klum: Howard, I think I'm pregnant...and Taylor Williamson's the-

Howard Stern: No f***ing way!

Heidi Klum: Okay, I lied about THAT one...

Howard Stern: Marty Brown! So YOU'RE the one who got Ciana Pelekai and Deana DellaCioppa eliminated!?

Marty Brown: Yes, it was I!

Howie Mandel: Howard, I think I'm pregnant...and YOU'RE the father!

And now the thrilling next season...Wait a minute, did any of that stuff actually happen?

(Inspired by Little Kuriboh)

Okay, enough joking around...Welcome, once again, to the new season of AGT! Tomorrow night will be the premiere of Season 9! That's right, AGT is almost a decade old now...

So a few things I'd like to talk about...First of all, the whole cast will be returning for this season...Which sucks, because I was really hoping for Howie to finally leave (of course, for Heidi to also leave after only one season would be wishful thinking...) Actually, I hear that Howard's the one who will be leaving after this season, but I guess now's not the time to talk about that...

Another thing is that I might...MIGHT...have actually had an early interaction with this year's crap act that will make the live shows regardless...His name is Eugene Krack, and his act is apparently dressing up in some kind of bizarre costume that has a loose resemblance to Mr. Krabs from "Spongebob Squarepants" while dancing around the stage, singing horribly, and throwing around a bunch of crazy props...I'm not sure...For all I know, Krack is just full of Krap and is just trolling, but either way, he claimed that he made it at least as far as Vegas...Just thought I'd point that out so that we can all keep an eye open for some giant crab costume...I mean, if not him, than SOMEBODY will be this year's insult to talent that makes it farther than they should have...

Anyway, to see the Krackhead's comments (and my interactions with him), here's a link to the article on Examiner.com by Michael Ross where I THINK he made his first appearance...http://www.examiner.com/article/america-s-got-talent-8-finale-results

Also, that video I shared last year at the end of the season has comments posted by both him and someone who goes by the name of Shitward Rage, who I have suspicions for due to him also being named after a Spongebob character, but I've given the benefit of the doubt...Either way, he claimed that he saw Krack advance to Vegas...Again, they could very well be trolling, but we'll just see...Just thought I'd give a heads-up...

Finally, I shall talk about what I hope to see this year...Hopefully, Kenichi winning last season will inspire more cool and unique acts to compete...I'm hoping for another fun set of acts this year...But either way, consider my bias against singers COMPLETELY out the window now...Last year finally gave the win to not only a non-singer, but the most deserving act as well...AGT has been taking nice baby-steps over the years ever since Season 4's many disasters...Now I can finally say that they moved away from the cliche choices...

That said, I think I'm going to focus now on who among the SINGERS deserves to beat the rest...I don't care who wins anymore, as long as they're a great act, but one thing that still bothers me is that America keeps voting for the same types of guys as the best singer of the season...Even the last two seasons, when America stopped giving the win to the thirty-something-year-old male singer with the Cinderella backstory, the singer who came closer than the rest to winning was ALWAYS that same guy! Even when there were CLEARLY better singers who were much less typical...For instance:

Season 4: Kevin Skinner won, even though pretty much ALL the singers were better...

Season 5: Michael Grimm won, even though Prince Poppycock was better as an act, and Jackie Evancho was arguably better as well (though I personally preferred Grimm over her, because I was getting tired of that kid being shoved in my face, and Grimm had more experience anyway...)

Season 6: Landau Eugene Murphy Jr. won, even though Anna Graceman and Lys Agnes were better singers...

Season 7: Tim Hockenberry came closer to making the Top 6 than any of the other singers, even though Andrew De Leon was more interesting, less cliche, and a better singer...(I'm still pissed at the judges for what they did to him!)

Season 8: Jimmy Rose made Third Place over the vastly superior Forte and Cami Bradley (as well as half the other singers who were eliminated to make room for Country Boy...)

There were different factors for each of them; Some of them just made better choices, some of them just had better luck, some of them were pushed ahead thanks to the bias of the judges, some of them got as far as they did clearly by the bias of America, etc. etc.

My biggest wish for this season is that the singer who makes it the farthest in the singing category is NOT the cliched 30+ man with the backstory, but hopefully a female, or at least someone UNDER the age of 30...I'm sick of great singers getting bested by the same guy every single season!

So, yeah...Hopefully this season will fulfill my wishes...And hopefully this season will be good...

See you all tomorrow as I review the first episode of Season 9!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]May 28, 2014

Sorry for the late post...I had a really bad stomach ulcer yesterday, and while it's still aching around my bladder area, I seem to be feeling better now, at least good enough that I can sit at a computer and type...

That said, I DID watch the show, and here are my thoughts:

Adrian Romoff: The first act called to the stage is a nine-year-old boy who is VERY mature for his age, and skipped five grades in school...He begins to play a keyboard to a rocking tune of "Flight of the Bumblebee" in a way that would rival Beethoven playing "Play With Me" by Extreme in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure". Howard, not being entirely convinced that it was all him and not mostly a recorded track, gets the confirmation he needs when the kid plays a much more straight-forward, but still impressive composition. There's always been a special place in my heart for these child prodigies; Not simply the good ones, but the ones who can actually stand up to, or even top the adults...Good way to kick off the show...This kid has my full support!

Clog Dancers: Nothing I haven't seen before with this talent, but I still like when they stop the track and let their shoes do the music...

Circus Performers: Not entirely convinced of their staying power, but I'll give them a shot...

Acrobatic Dancers: I'm hoping we see more of these guys, because they look very promising...

Dan Naturman: I actually didn't get that many of his jokes, but again, I'll give him a chance...

Rokardy: This was definitely impressive, especially for someone who is almost 50 years old...My question though is how far he can go with this? I've rooted for acts like him in the past, and they never seem to get very far...But we'll just see...For now, this guy has my support!

Mike Greenstein: Wow! 93 years old, and pulling a car with his teeth! Howard raises a good point that his showmanship may be lacking, which could hurt him in the long run, but for now, I'm just too impressed to give up on him just yet...I wanna see more of this old man's strength!

Acte II: Forte 2.0 perhaps? It's hard to tell just yet, but for now, I'm rooting for these ladies!

Dustin: Uhhh...I GUESS it was pretty funny...But I don't know if it was worth Howard using up his once-per-season opportunity to use the Golden Buzzer...I dunno...I'll probably hate this act in the long run, but for now, I guess it was kind of amusing...

Blue Journey: I still have a special soft spot for these kinds of acts, and this indeed showed a lot of promise...Not sure yet if they have what it takes to reach Kenichi Ebina standards, but for now, this was pretty awesome!

Larry the Mime: I have to talk about this one, because it was a pretty hilarious prank...My respect for Nick as a host has always been kind of a slippery slope, but one thing I can't deny is that when he wants to joke around, he can be pretty damn hilarious! Not to mention how effective the costume was and how well Nick disguised his voice!

Jaycob Curlee: This was a pretty typical way to end a show after all the other amazing acts we saw...Jaycob has a good voice, and he had no problem projecting it or anything...But I don't see him going very far...That said, I will say for now that he deserves to move forward...

So yeah, I thought this was a pretty good premiere...At least out of the acts that were actually named, I can see any of them making it to the live shows (even Dustin, for better or worse...) Hopefully they keep up the good work for this season...

See you all next week!

JM5000

[3]Jun 4, 2014

Here we go, Episode 2!

The Willis Clan: This was a nice performance overall, but I question how much talent each sibling holds (it's so hard to concentrate on each of them). It worked, for now, but I'm gonna have to watch them more closely to see how many of them really deserve to be performing...(One thing I can tell is that the little three-year-old is just there for presentation...)

David and Leeman: These guys had great presentation, great enough that they have my support...That said, they'll have to step it up next time, because I find it hard to buy 100% that Howie wasn't their personal plant...(The judges are likely more in on these auditions than people might think...) Hopefully next time they'll have a bigger act...

Julie Goodwin: Another teenager with a nice voice...I don't see her going super-far, but for now, I really do like that jazzy vocal-style...

Sean & Luke: These guys were likeable...I don't entirely blame Howard for not finding them worthy enough, but I still like them enough that I'm willing to see them again...

Real Encounter: It's pretty clear that the guy who was doing the flips on his bike should be the focus of the act, because I don't think anyone was paying attention to those other guys...That said, those were some pretty awesome flips! Hope they're willing to step it up next time...

Dom the Bom's Triple: This was fairly impressive for a child act, but as an act in general, it was both simple and kinda sloppy...I'm okay with them going through, but we'll just see what else they can do in the long run...

Mad Jack: I'm gonna address this real quick, because this was a freakin' tease! After being unconvinced by David and Leeman, and a series of failed magicians, I was really hoping this guy would turn things around...Nope...Guess I'll have to wait a little longer for a great magic act...

Miguel Dakota: Another young pretty-boy with a guitar...What's more, he's singing that song I'm getting really sick of...It's okay, he's a good singer and all...I just don't like how uninspired certain singers and their song-choices are...

Abigail Baird: Kenichi Ebina 2.0? Let's not get too hasty just yet...This was an excellent performance, showing a lot of promise for this act and its concept, so I support it 100%...But I've been disappointed by potential front-runners in the past...If she knows how to keep the act going, stepping it up each time, then by all means, this act has what it take to be my favorite of the season...So hopefully she doesn't screw it up...

John and Andrew: I'm glad these guys did well, because flaunting two men dancing together only for them to be a joke would have been almost offensive...But indeed, they put on a great performance...Don't think they'll be my favorite in the long run, but for now, I respect them...

And that's it for episode two...I'd say that so far, things are still going pretty well...Hopefully this streak continues next week...The preview sure makes it LOOK promising...

JM5000

[4]Jun 11, 2014

Kamikaze Fireflies: These two had great showmanship and some impressive physical feats as they juggled those torches...But I can't help but ask: How are they gonna screw this up? Juggling acts can never seem to keep their act going, as much as I want them to...It would be cool if these two can prove to be an exception, but I'm not holding my breath...Though that whole incident with Nick was pretty funny...

Heart Dance Team: This was pretty cool, but I'm not entirely convinced of their full potential yet...Not that I'm dissing them; I felt the same way when I first saw Fighting Gravity and Team iLuminate...I just need to see what else they can do is all...

Jodi Miller: Her little stand-up routine was cute, I guess...Her jokes were chuckle-worthy, but I don't hate her...So far, she's the most fitting comedian to move forward...

Bob Markworth & Mayana: Pretty impressive marksmanship for such an old man...Actually, he may have even more potential than Ben Blaque a few years ago...And it's a good thing his assistant looks good for her age, because your average 51-year-old woman probably wouldn't be the most attractive sight exposing as much as she did...

Anna Clendening: Another very strong singer...But I can't help but feel a little manipulated every time they play up these tearjerker backstories...I guess it was somewhat excusable, since her condition sounds like a legitimate issue to overcome onstage...But still, just for the record, she does not have my vote for her sob story...She has my vote for her powerful voice...

Top Hogs: This was cute, and the pig was very intelligent and all...But I guarantee you I will hate this act in the long run...

Atlanta Professional Dance Academy: It's interesting, because I've always wondered if an act like this could really pull off a performance on an AGT stage...This act proved to me it could...What's more, they're probably just getting started...

Aaron Fields: Well, THIS was an attention grabber! This guy probably realized that the secret to being a favorite at the auditions is to be as unassuming as possible, looking like you're gonna be a joke...I mean, how could you take a grown man dressed as a baby seriously? But even with the gimmick aside, I still think he was a really good singer, and deserves to go forward...

Sons of Serendip: VERY moving performance, beautiful vocals, lovely instrumentation...I hope these guys come back, because I love bands who work so well as a team...

Andrey Moraru: As moving as Sons of Serendip if not even moreso...I hope to see him again as well...

Smoothini: Now THIS is the magic act I was waiting for! His act was small, and he made no indication that he will ever go any bigger...But hey, if Collins Key can go all the way to the Top 5, I can only imagine how far this man can go...

Justin Rhodes: We seem to have one of these guys every week...Again, he was a legitimately good singer, but he's gonna have those other two guys to compete with...

This might be the best audition so far, mainly for acts like Heart Dance Team, Anna Clendening, Atlanta Professional Dance Academy, Sons of Serendip, Andrey Moraru and Smoothini...

Hope someone else is willing to comment...It's starting to feel pretty lonely here...

JM5000

[5]Jun 17, 2014

Where is everybody? Not only am I the only one commenting in this thread, but even Michael Ross on Examiner.com hasn't done any articles since several months ago, before the season even began...

Does nobody even care about this show anymore? Is there just nothing more to talk about after the majority's desire to see a unique and awesome act finally came full-circle last year?

Most importantly, am I wasting my time commenting in this thread...?

Regardless, like a professional, I shall push onward whether anyone comments or not...

Emily West: Yet another young lady with a beautiful voice...The competition is gonna be pretty heavy this year in the female singer category...

Passing Acts: The acrobats were impressive, the singer was yet another beautiful voice, and the female juggler holds a lot of promise (not that any juggling act holds the promise of making it past the quarter-finals...)

Baila Conmigo: Indeed, these were some fast dancers, but so far, that's their only standout trait from Miami All-Stars and the like...I'm just glad that damn coach wasn't making his fourth consecutive seasonal appearance with them...But I'm still expecting him! I got my eye on you, man...

Rachel Butera: Yes, these impressions were spot on! The question is, how can she make it into a big show? We'll just wait and see...

Legaci: Again, misspelling the words in your title seems to be the cool thing these days...Regardless, they were solid singers, and deserve their place in Vegas...

Mat Franco: This guy's in some heavy competition with Smoothini, but the trick was still impressive enough that he's earned his place...

Paul Ieti: Many singers tonight, but this young man stole the show from all of them! He reminds me quite a bit of Andrew De Leon, with his higher-registered singing voice...And with his military background, you can bet your ass that he will be voted at least as far as Jimmy Rose...But so far, I would say that he is the best singer of this season so far...

Christian Atayde Stoinev: Another insane balancing act. Amazing, but there's also not much I can see him taking it...Of course, I would love to be proven wrong...

Passing Acts: The ballet group was good, and I liked the two brothers...

Grace Ann Gregorio: Man, even her name sounds like opera...Her appearance was brief, but I'm rooting for her, because she holds a lot of promise...

Maggie Lane: And this is where the show started to go downhill...Not that this act was bad, she was a great singer and all...But on the other hand, I've heard better, more unique opera singers...And the bikini thing...I'm sorry, I just can't take the bikini thing seriously...Yes, she had a nice body...But so has numerous other people who stripped down onstage...And many of those people failed! But despite everything, put her clothes back on, and you're left with a nice, but nothing special singer...What makes this different from the guy who sang in a baby costume last week, is that he WAS pretty unique with his voice, and was a potential standout, plus he holds the opportunity to start dressing normally later on...This lady on the other hand, you can tell that showing off her body is gonna be her gimmick throughout the game...Sorry, I'm with Howard on this...She gets a pass for now, but it's hard to concentrate on the talent that actually MATTERS when she's doing it semi-nude...

We then get a few joke acts, and some kid acts that were okay, but won't hold up a big stage show...And then we got...

Josh Orlian: This...made me uncomfortable...I don't know how much of this kid's material was actually his...But honestly, I don't think a twelve-year-old boy should be telling such dirty jokes...Didn't help that he had a very awkward delivery (somewhat forgivable, since he's only twelve, but still...) This is another act I don't think I'm gonna like in the long run...Regardless, he'll probably at least make it past Vegas...

Laura Dasi: This was...okay. Take out the little backstory, and it really was nothing special, especially compared to similar acts that competed in previous weeks...Without the backstory, she probably wouldn't have even made it to Vegas...It's funny what a silly factor like a sob story can do to the judges' overall reaction to your act...

So this show was pretty good, even if it started fizzling out with the last third...And yes, this was a night for singers, including one that might be this year's singing champion...

Feel free to comment if you exist and are reading this...

BKiddo626

[6]Jun 18, 2014
    • level: 2

I'm sorry about that. I usually don't start commenting until we hit the live shows. That's what I did last season, and before that, the last time I commented was SEASON 4! O_O So, yeah, I've got a bit of a spotty track record when it comes to these things. *sweatdrop*

I'll tell you this, though. So far, none of the singers are really doing it for me this season. Then again, I said that about Landau Eugene Murphy, and he ended up winning, so there you go. :S

The kid comedian was alright. He seems well-adjusted enough, so I don't mind that he's telling perverted jokes at that age. I mean, he's hitting puberty, so to me, it makes sense that he'd start thinking about that kinda stuff. XD He's no Tom Cotter, and I've noticed that the show tends to gravitate towards the comedians that are more awkward than funny (Taylor Williamson, Jacob Williams, Kevin Downey, etc.), and this kid's no different. At best, he'll probably make it to the quarterfinals, and that's it.

The acrobats are decent. I can't see them going very far with their act, but they've got potential. At the very least, the hand balancers are nice to look at.

The ones that have stood out to me, though, are the two illusionists, Smoothini and Mat Franco. If the trend of non-singers winning the show keeps going, then I could see either of them winning it, Smoothini a little more than Franco.

And, um... that's about it, I guess. I do think it's a little weird that we're getting a show on Sunday, though. Does that mean there's not gonna be one on Tuesday, then? I wonder what that's all about. :S

Edited on 06/18/2014 1:42am

JM5000

[7]Jun 18, 2014

BKiddo626 wrote:

I'm sorry about that. I usually don't start commenting until we hit the live shows. That's what I did last season, and before that, the last time I commented was SEASON 4! O_O So, yeah, I've got a bit of a spotty track record when it comes to these things. *sweatdrop*

I'll tell you this, though. So far, none of the singers are really doing it for me this season. Then again, I said that about Landau Eugene Murphy, and he ended up winning, so there you go. :S

The kid comedian was alright. He seems well-adjusted enough, so I don't mind that he's telling perverted jokes at that age. I mean, he's hitting puberty, so to me, it makes sense that he'd start thinking about that kinda stuff. XD He's no Tom Cotter, and I've noticed that the show tends to gravitate towards the comedians that are more awkward than funny (Taylor Williamson, Jacob Williams, Kevin Downey, etc.), and this kid's no different. At best, he'll probably make it to the quarterfinals, and that's it.

The acrobats are decent. I can't see them going very far with their act, but they've got potential. At the very least, the hand balancers are nice to look at.

The ones that have stood out to me, though, are the two illusionists, Smoothini and Mat Franco. If the trend of non-singers winning the show keeps going, then I could see either of them winning it, Smoothini a little more than Franco.

And, um... that's about it, I guess. I do think it's a little weird that we're getting a show on Sunday, though. Does that mean there's not gonna be one on Tuesday, then? I wonder what that's all about. :S

We'll just wait and see...I'm glad to finally have someone to talk to, and I'm confident more people will be commenting once the live shows start...

BKiddo626

[8]Jun 22, 2014

I'm not going through every single act that appeared tonight, but I'm just going to name the moments that stood out to me.

The "mystifier" was actually pretty impressive. Nowhere near the levels of Smoothini or Mat Franco, but impressive nonetheless. I'm kinda curious to see where he goes from here. I really hope this will be the season where a magician finally wins. Fingers crossed!

Valo & Bobby. That was a really cool feat of strength, I've never seen that one before. Don't know how far they can take this, but for now, they were great.

Juan Carlos. Looks like we've found our popular stupid act of the season that the reasonable judge (aka Howard) hates. Like Big Barry and Mary Ellen before him, he has no real discernible talent, but he'll probably get through to the live shows based on his entertainment value alone.

And the act that REALLY got my attention: The two cellists. I thought they were fantastic (maybe I'm biased because I'm a classic rock fan), and their rendition of Purple Haze was great! They deserved every bit of that raucous applause they got that day, and I hope they go far in the competition.

That's it for the regular show, at least. And it looks like the special Sunday show was just a ratings grab for those stuntmen wanting to set a world record (though it was nice to see Professor Splash again). I still don't see what the point of all that was, but it was a good bit of fun. I guess they want to torpedo through these audition shows so they can make room for when The Voice premieres again in September, I dunno.

Great show tonight, nonetheless!

JM5000

[9]Jun 23, 2014

Well, they promised a big audition show with many great talents, and I think that's what we got tonight (though it had some minor hiccups with some stupid time-wasters...)

Mike Super: This was definitely pretty crazy, and I won't argue that he deserves his place...That said, my theory is that he had some kind of sonic device attached to that glass box...But who knows...

Valo & Bobby: Now THIS was awesome! When it comes to unique auditions like this one, I can't help but hope that they will be able to keep it in the air...It could go either way, honestly...

Passing Acts: The dance group was pretty awesome, the speed painter was impressive, and the balancing act was quite amazing (though I don't know how he'll keep it going after that other balancing act that failed two years ago, but he definitely stepped it up from the last guy...)

Mara Justine: This year's golden-voiced child prodigy!

Juan Carlos: The good thing is, if this is as bad as this year's acts are gonna be, than this year might not be too bad...It's stupid, but it's also harmless...That said, I KNOW Howie's love will win out and he's gonna make it past Vegas, no matter how much Howard objects...

Contortion Acts: Might as well knock these all out at once...What it all boils down to is, we have a very impressive solo contortionist, some impressive contortionists who work well as a group, and a duo of contortionists who are kind of a compromise between the two...

Emil and Dariel: Another very impressive musical act! I'm rooting for these guys to go far, because the world could use more rock celloists...

One Voice Children's Choir: I somewhat agree with Mel and Howie...These kids can sound quite good, but they WERE a little shaky at first...I like them enough to give them a pass, but I might not be so kind to them in the long run...

Grennan the Green Monster: Similar to another child act earlier, this was impressive for a child act...But the kid needs time to grow to reach his full potential...Also, I feel bad for his little sister; She legitimately seems afraid to be used for target practice...I think the blame is mainly on the dad, because it sounds like he pretty much pushed his son into this profession...What a douche...

Frank the Singer: Okay, by dubbing himself with that name, you can tell he wants to make people think he's Frank Sinatra...Yes, he was impressive, maybe even better than Landau Eugene Murphy, Jr. who came off more as an impersonator than a legitimate singer...Was he the best singer so far this season? Well, that's a tough one...I still legitimately liked Paul Ieti, so it's pretty close...But there's no doubt in my mind that Frank could very well be this year's singing champion, mainly due to his more mature age and that humble job all the other big-shot male singers on the show have had...Whether or not he wins the whole thing, however, is still to be determined...

So yeah, while I could have done without the acts that didn't make it (and maybe one or two that did), this still managed to be the best show so far this season due to the combination of awesome acts tonight...We'll just see what the next show has to bring...

JM5000

[10]Jul 2, 2014

Rogue: It's hard to watch this guy without thinking of him as some kind of crazy masochist...It was a good trick and all, quite daring (assuming the stakes were really that high), but he has some heavy competition with the other magicians who have been passed...

Passing Acts: The strong man was decent, the kid had a good singing voice, but holds the curse of only being shown in a montage, and the guy who balanced the couch on his chin was very impressive...Needless to say, if I were to pick only one of these acts to move on to the live shows, it would be that last guy...

The Hudson Brothers: Aaaand here's our obnoxious act that will inevitably make it past Vegas no matter how much the other judges protest...I dunno, maybe I should give them a chance, since I had a hard time really understanding the song, and they might have better ones...But still, I can't help but feel that we have another Tone the Chiefrocca on our hands...

Loop Rawlins: This was definitely a show worth paying to see...But I just can't for the life of me picture how he can keep it going throughout the game...

Beach Avenue: This was a nice song, not great, but catchy...I'm willing to give them a shot...

Joe Matarese: If any stand-up comedian deserves to move on to the live shows, it's this guy! His delivery was excellent, his jokes hit their mark perfectly, and he managed to do it all without trying too hard to be shocking! If he keeps this up, he'll go all the way in this game! Especially since he has the touching backstory to sucker in votes as well...

Sal Gonzalez: Another war veteran...It's okay, he was also a great singer...It's just hard to decide if he's quite in the same league as Paul Ieti and Frank the Singer...

The Birdman: Yeah, this was impressive and all, but there's not much credibility to these kinds of acts in terms of big stage shows...It would work better as a presentation at the zoo...

Passing Acts: The pianist was pretty fun to watch (even if it was only a ten-second clip), and the acrobat was impressive as well...

Kelli Glover: I've been watching this show since Season 4, so yes, I do remember Kelli Glover, who was eliminated that year at Vegas in favor of Mia Boostrom, who ironically was also making a second attempt that year after being eliminated in Vegas the year before...And you know, I think she might be my favorite singer so far...I just hope she isn't screwed over in favor of the usual 30-year-old man and 10-year-old girl who are constantly shoved in our faces year after year after year...I think I should prepare myself...It would be outrageous for her to be eliminated in Vegas THIS time, so I should get ready to give her all the love I can so that she doesn't get DellaCioppa'd...

Darik Santos: And here's our awkward comedian of the year...I can see what will attract votes, but I only chuckled a little at his stupid pun jokes, and I think for him to go farther than Joe Matarese would be outrageous...

Then we got a series of joke acts, from Melissa McCarthy as a karaoke singer (anyone else reminded of Melissa McCarthy?), to bizarre puppets, to a crazy religious rapper...I was afraid these auditions would end on a low note, but then...

Ray Jessel: Dirty as this man's song was, I thought it was very cleverly-written, and it got a good laugh out of me...I don't know what else he may have, but for now, I enjoyed his song as well as his character enough that I think it made for a satisfactory conclusion to the auditions...

My thoughts on the overall show: Ehh...It was alright, it had its highs and lows...I'm just glad that the auditions are over...

At least...I THINK they're over...The preview for next week didn't say anything about Vegas, but it didn't show any new acts either...I certainly HOPE they're over, because they've been going on long enough now...It's July; Usually the live shows would start by now...It also doesn't help that they've only been showing one show per week, even though these last two weeks had shows on Tuesday AND Wednesday...

If next week is the REAL conclusion to the auditions, I can forgive that, but it will definitely try my patience...

Edited on 07/01/2014 11:22pm

BKiddo626

[11]Jul 7, 2014

Sorry, sorry! I had this episode on my DVR, but I haven't had the chance to watch it until yesterday! Anyway, I'm feeling a tad bit lazy to type my post from scratch, so I'm just going to quote and respond, if that's okay. ^^;

JM5000 wrote:
    Rogue: It's hard to watch this guy without thinking of him as some kind of crazy masochist...It was a good trick and all, quite daring (assuming the stakes were really that high), but he has some heavy competition with the other magicians who have been passed...

It really was an interesting act, but I don't know how he'll top this. But hey, maybe he'll surprise me, who knows.

JM5000 wrote:
    The Hudson Brothers: Aaaand here's our obnoxious act that will inevitably make it past Vegas no matter how much the other judges protest...I dunno, maybe I should give them a chance, since I had a hard time really understanding the song, and they might have better ones...But still, I can't help but feel that we have another Tone the Chiefrocca on our hands...

To be honest, I feel like that's an insult to Tone the Chiefrocca. I mean, God knows how much I loathed those guys, but at least they had a decent rhythm and hook. These clowns don't even have that. But yeah, either these guys or Juan Carlos are gonna be the Big Barry of the season. Because Howard and Howie have to clash at least once every season, apparently...

JM5000 wrote:
    Loop Rawlins: This was definitely a show worth paying to see...But I just can't for the life of me picture how he can keep it going throughout the game...

I'm more than positive he's going to get eliminated in Vegas.

JM5000 wrote:
    Beach Avenue: This was a nice song, not great, but catchy...I'm willing to give them a shot...

I dunno, it felt a little generic to me. I mean, they even had the indie-folksy "Hey!" shout from "Ho Hey" in there.

JM5000 wrote:
    Joe Matarese: If any stand-up comedian deserves to move on to the live shows, it's this guy! His delivery was excellent, his jokes hit their mark perfectly, and he managed to do it all without trying too hard to be shocking! If he keeps this up, he'll go all the way in this game! Especially since he has the touching backstory to sucker in votes as well...

He was alright. He probably needs one more routine for me to be truly convinced, though.

JM5000 wrote:
    Sal Gonzalez: Another war veteran...It's okay, he was also a great singer...It's just hard to decide if he's quite in the same league as Paul Ieti and Frank the Singer...

Meh. Again, other than Sons of Serendip (I wanted to see their entire performance, damn it! *grumbles*), none of the singers are doing it for me this season. I dunno, maybe I've been spoiled by The Voice or something. :S

JM5000 wrote:
    The Birdman: Yeah, this was impressive and all, but there's not much credibility to these kinds of acts in terms of big stage shows...It would work better as a presentation at the zoo...

It just reminded me of Echo of Animal Gardens back in Season... 6, was it? Honestly, I preferred Echo more than this, so I don't think this guy's gonna last very long.

JM5000 wrote:
    Passing Acts: The pianist was pretty fun to watch (even if it was only a ten-second clip), and the acrobat was impressive as well...

I'd have really liked to have seen that pianist's whole performance. It looked like a lot of fun. I really hope he makes it through; other montaged contestants have made it through in the past, so I'm holding out hope for this guy. :X

JM5000 wrote:
    Kelli Glover: I've been watching this show since Season 4, so yes, I do remember Kelli Glover, who was eliminated that year at Vegas in favor of Mia Boostrom, who ironically was also making a second attempt that year after being eliminated in Vegas the year before...And you know, I think she might be my favorite singer so far...I just hope she isn't screwed over in favor of the usual 30-year-old man and 10-year-old girl who are constantly shoved in our faces year after year after year...I think I should prepare myself...It would be outrageous for her to be eliminated in Vegas THIS time, so I should get ready to give her all the love I can so that she doesn't get DellaCioppa'd...

Scratch that, both she AND Sons of Serendip are the only ones doing it for me this season. I too remember her from Season 4, but even back then, I thought she was a little shouty (I thought the same about DellaCioppa, BTW.), but I can tell she's been fine-tuning her voice since then, because she sounds great now. I wonder why she hasn't tried to be on The Voice yet. Well, the judges she'd originally faced in Season 4 are all gone now, so maybe she saw it as a fresh start? Or maybe it's just a matter of principle, who knows. Either way, I'm rooting for her this time, and honestly, I think she could go all the way to the finals.

JM5000 wrote:
    Darik Santos: And here's our awkward comedian of the year...I can see what will attract votes, but I only chuckled a little at his stupid pun jokes, and I think for him to go farther than Joe Matarese would be outrageous...

I'm about to say something really outrageous: I prefer this guy over Joe. I got a very hearty laugh out of his puns. I dunno, it seems to me like he's got a little more substance to him as a comedian than just being awkward, like Jacob Williams or Kevin Downey. While I highly doubt he'll make it as far as Taylor Williamson, he's funny enough. I like him.

JM5000 wrote:
    Ray Jessel: Dirty as this man's song was, I thought it was very cleverly-written, and it got a good laugh out of me...I don't know what else he may have, but for now, I enjoyed his song as well as his character enough that I think it made for a satisfactory conclusion to the auditions...

This guy was hilarious. I must have replayed that song about ten times already. LOL I doubt he'll make it past Vegas, but he's certainly left his mark with me.

I hope either this week or the next is the last of the auditions. All of the major late night shows were off for Fourth of July, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a rerun this week. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm doubtful.

JM5000

[12]Jul 7, 2014

BKiddo626 wrote:

Sorry, sorry! I had this episode on my DVR, but I haven't had the chance to watch it until yesterday! Anyway, I'm feeling a tad bit lazy to type my post from scratch, so I'm just going to quote and respond, if that's okay. ^^;

It's all good, it helps add to the interaction...You don't need to apologize for having late comments, we're all free to post what we want, when we want...I myself am not always in the mood to post my thoughts immediately, though it's a little tougher for me since my reviews are a little more expected...But for everyone else, if you have something to say, feel free to post your thoughts...If not, there's no pressure...I do what I can to keep these threads as open and comfortable for opinions as I can (and if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a biased punk who has no respect for others' opinions...I am not referring to you of course...)

JM5000

[13]Jul 24, 2014

Alright, let's talk about Judgment Week, analyze our Top 48 (or 47 until the Today Show announces the other winner), address the decisions leading up to this line-up, and make predictions for next week...

First, let's talk about the more shocking eliminations:

Beach Avenue: These guys definitely showed a lot of promise, but I agree, their original song was pretty bland, whereas the last one they did was at least very catchy...So I do not blame the judges for eliminating them...

Dustin's Dojo: This was shocking, because I was almost certain that they would be one of several ridiculous acts going through instead of more deserving acts (and this year, there's only one of those, who I'll get to in a bit...) What makes this ESPECIALLY ironic is that Howard used up his Golden Buzzer to get them this far, so I guess it was all for naught...That said, don't count Dustin out just yet...We're still yet to see some Wildcard picks, and chances are, he's on Howard's list, probably at the top...

Emmanuel & Phillip Hudson: Another act that I was almost certain would make the live shows despite not deserving it (especially since they were shown to be bad sports with inflated egos backstage). Also, they were Howie's Golden Buzzer pick, so I would not be surprised if they're on his list of Wildcard picks (of course, Mel B. liked them as well, so she might make her one and only Wildcard pick the stupid rap duo for the second year in a row...In which case, producers, PLEASE fire her!)

Frank Dimitri: THIS was shocking, because I was almost certain that Frank was gonna be this year's favorite in the singing category, especially since he was one of the few male singers who didn't have any major problems...That said, I'm glad they got rid of him, because honestly, I've seen someone do Sinatra on this show before and win, and I wasn't in the mood for another...Frank was likable, and I'm glad he's not giving up after this (and chances are, his audition will help give him some exposure so that someone can pick him up as an artist...) But he wasn't the best singer in the competition...But again, Wildcards...

Grace Ann Gregorio: Grace suffered the curse of competing against several other great child singers, so there was no doubt that she was on the chopping block...Still, I feel really bad for her...She was among my favorite singers this year...

Joe Matarese: His delivery was still great, but he had no material, so I understand the decision...That said, I really hope someone like Howie gives him another shot as a Wildcard, because he had SO MUCH PROMISE...I don't want this year's star comedian to be another awkward geek with ridiculous puns (who I'll get to in a bit...)

Psycho Jack: This was mainly shocking because he was the only act to be sent straight home right after his performance (all the other acts that were called back onstage were sent straight forward). But this guy was quite the character, and I was all for seeing what other tricks he had...I enjoy these maccabre magician types...But yes, I totally understand the judges' decision, because that technical problem REALLY threw off what was already looking like a pretty standard trick...

Sal Gonzalez: Like Frank Dimitri, Sal had the makings of being this year's star in the singing category: Along with a strong voice, he was also a man of the right age (it said he was 29, so he could be 30 by now, or at least by the end of the season), who also had the military background and sympathy over his missing leg...That was enough to sucker in votes...I can't say he deserved to be eliminated, but at the same time, he DID have problems with his callback performance, and I'm not in the mood for another 30+ man dominating the singing category this year...

Top Hogs: This was another simple novelty act...that I was almost certain would join the ranks of Dustin's Dojo, Emmanuel & Phillip Hudson and Juan Carlos as a stupid act that made it to a round better suited for acts that were eliminated...

XPogo Stunt Team: What, all because the stupid little flame went out!? Aside from that, these kids were doing impressive stunts left and right, so I think there's just a bias against them all because one little handicap didn't function properly...

So those are the most surprising eliminations, and probably the most likely candidates to be picked as Wildcards...While I was rooting for some of those acts, overall, I think the judges actually made some pretty level-headed choices this year...Sure, one joke act managed to slip through the cracks, and there are a few others who I would not consider winning material, but for the most part, I'm pretty satisfied with the results...An even bigger satisfaction than the fact that there's only one joke act, is the fact that there are two potential favorites in the singing category, one is only in his early twenties, and the other (while over 30) is a woman...Honestly, I wouldn't mind either of those two coming out on top, or even winning...Not just because of their age or gender, but because they're both legitimately great singers...Of course, there are also one or two bands (helmed by 30+ men, oh well...) with a lot of winning potential...But they're bands, which is another unique type of singing act yet to come out on top (not counting William Close, since he wasn't very conventional...) So yeah, only one or two acts that didn't really deserve it, and nobody eliminated that I really cared about that much, aside from a few understandable circumstances...Pretty good judgement from our judges for once!

So now, let's count down all of our quarter-finalists (save the Today Show winner, who will not be announced until the day of the first live show). This list will be based on how much I've seen of each act, how much I remember, and how much promise they each hold overall:

47: Juan Carlos. This guy is a joke, and in the same league as many other foreign guys who think their terrible act is worth a million dollars...He's pretty much Sam B. on skates...That said, compared to some truly awful acts like Big Barry, Mary Ellen and Tone the Chiefrocca, he's pretty harmless, so I'm willing to watch him stumble on his skates once more before he's promptly eliminated for some better acts...

46: Sean & Luke. I have officially decided that these two are the least credible act that has any credibility to give...They got great personalities, but their dance moves are just standard and unimpressive...Granted, I sure can't do what they can do, but overall, there are far better dancers in this competition...

45: Darik Santos. I decided to put Darik over Sean and Luke primarily because he DOES manage to crack a few chuckle-worthy jokes now and then, so therefore is at least doing SOMETHING right...But it's clear that he's just riding on the success that Taylor Williamson got from being runner-up last season, and while I didn't really care for Taylor, he was still a great deal better at what he did than this young man...

44: Dom the Bom's Triple Threat. Clearly in the game to have a child act that doesn't sing...There's no doubt that card-throwing is not an easy thing to do, especially for a kid...Who knows, maybe this act will grow on me...But by being able to bypass Judgement Week, I have nothing to go by this act aside from their audition, which again, was pretty sloppy in execution...But we'll just see...These kids might be able to develop some showmanship by the next time we see them...

43: Extreme. I have this act at this low point in the list for one reason, and one reason only...I cannot even friggin' remember who they are! That said, they could definitely prove to be great...We'll just see...

42: Mothmen Dance. Same as the last entry, but I was at least able to find them by Googling them...From what I read, they actually do sound pretty cool...

41: Bad Boys of Ballet. These guys, I DO remember, but I was not impressed by their callback performance...Needless to say, I'm not really rooting for them...

40: One Voice Children's Choir. So far, all we've seen of them is their audition, and even then, the judges were a little mixed on opinions...What they are doing is great, but I don't think they will get very far...

39: The Willis Clan. So far, they've managed to sound good, but it's pretty clear that some of them are doing more work than others...(Pretty much, the younger the kid is, the less they have to do other than look cute...) They're far from the best musical group, and they're quite bloated to boot...Chances are, after they perform next week, there will be criticism that will keep them from advancing any further...

38: Livy, Matt and Sammy. Their rendition of "Hey Ya!" was fun and all, but they're competing with the likes of Sons of Serendip and Jonah Smith...It's not looking good for them...

37: Jaycob Curlee. I think he made it this far based on his sob story alone...He had a major stumble during his callback performance; He was arguably the worst in his category...I acknowledge that he is a good singer, but he just doesn't stand out among the likes of Paul Ieti and Kelli Glover...

36: Anna Clendening. Similar to the previous entry, she was clearly advanced this far to make her feel better...But unlike Jaycob, she has indeed performed quite efficiently so far...That said, her anxiety disorder is a BIG factor to consider in the long run, and it may be what will do her in...

35: Nina Burri. Contortionists are rarely anything special, and so far, I'm not super-thrilled by what little I've seen of this lady...I kinda wish they instead put through one of the contortionist groups, because they create a bigger spectacle...

34: JD Anderson. What this guy can do is impressive...But to me, there's only so much an act like this is capable of, and I'm all but certain that he will not make the semi-finals...

33: John & Andrew. I really do like these guys, but putting them through right after their callback performance is pushing it...We'll just see what they can do...I don't think I'll have as much bias against them as I did with the literal brother and sister acts last season...

32: David and Leeman. I love these guys' showmanship, they have great personalities...I need to see more of them to be sure what to think, because the only trick of theirs I've seen so far (not counting their little nametag trick during their introduction) is making Howie talk gibberish, when that's probably not that hard to do...I'm rooting for them to be a great magic act!

31: Dan Naturman. I give this guy some leeway simply because I didn't quite catch his jokes last time he performed...But still, his audition is all I have to go by, and while he seems like an interesting character, for all I know, he could just be another obnoxious twit...

30: Wendy Liebman. I'm yet to see much of this lady's act, but so far, she seems pretty funny...I enjoyed the phone sex joke...Still, I need to see more of her (not literally, thank you very much...)

29: Loop Rawlins. So far, this guy has been amazing! But this is the danger act where I see the biggest possibility for error...We'll just see what he can bring in the future...

28: Jonatan Riquelme. All we've seen so far is his audition, which was amazing! But after Cristin Sandu, I dread what comes next for him...I got my fingers crossed for his sake...

27: Andrey Moraru. What we've seen from this guy so far was phenomenal! Still, it was only one audition...He has potential, but I need to see more to be sure...

26: AcroArmy. We haven't seen much of this act yet, but so far, they hold a lot of promise...

25: Valo & Bobby. Their audition was one of the most amazing danger acts I have ever seen! Not sure how they can keep it in the air (no pun intended), but I've seen acts like this before who were able to hold up pretty well (again, no pun intended...)

24: Kieran and Finian. I didn't think their original song was half bad, and they sound good and all...I dunno...I'm willing to give them a shot...

23: Julia Goodwin. I really do like this girl's voice, but she has some pretty heavy competition...

22: Miguel Dakota. Same as the last entry, but Miguel does have potential to rake in some votes from adoring fangirls...

21: Adrian Romoff. I really do like this kid, but the judges raise a good point that Radio City deserves more than just a piano player...But he might just be smart enough to innovate...

20: Jasmine Flowers. We now enter the division of the list of acts that could go either way...Jasmine Flowers is the least likely of the bunch to succeed, but they've been so beautiful to watch so far...Howard might have some bias against the fan thing though...

19: Hart Dance Team. Their audition was pretty cool...But what more is there to this act? Until I see more, I shall never know...

18: Baila Conmigo. I like this act fine so far, and I definitely see their potential to be a favorite...But I've also seen the limits of salsa groups that came before them, and that brief little accident in their callback performance should not be ignored...They have quite a bit to prove...

17: Dragon House "The Agents". I really do like these guys...I think they're cool, and they have great moves...The Scott Brothers before them have shown how great an act like this can be, but they also showed where it can run into problems...

16: Flight Crew Jump Rope. It seems that this act is already a favorite...That said, I've seen jump-rope acts before, and like body-poppers, they have their good days, and their bad days...

15: Quintavious Johnson. I like this kid. He's got an infectious personality, and most importantly, an amazing singing voice...The problem is, he's got a very tough rival in the form of Mara Justine. I can see him making progress, but knowing that Mara advanced immediately after her performance, whereas Quintavious was still uncertain at the time, something tells me he will hit a very tough wall once he has to compete against the bespectacled singing powerhouse...

14: Emily West. Last season, I made the regretful mistake of underestimating the very talented Cami Bradley...Emily West definitely seems worthy of being her successor...But at the same time, there are a few clear favorites she's gonna have to compete against...

13: Jonah Smith. This man's audition was pretty standard...But once he got that new drummer and performed on the Radio City stage, something magical happened...While I'm not sure yet if this guy would be considered a favorite, he actually is starting to look like one...

12: Aerial Animation. I REALLY liked this lady's audition...But is there a possibility of it falling flat? Totally! Don't get me wrong, I want her to do well; This is such a cool concept for an act! But to truly establish herself, she's gonna need to take it to the next level!

11: Mike Super. This strange man and his mysterious imaginary friend have proven to be an effective team so far...I'm really curious to see what else they can bring...I just hope Desmond doesn't abandon him when he needs him the most...

10: Smoothini. There's not much to say about Smoothini's audition that hasnt already been said...Only one thing: It's all there is to go by so far...Oh yeah, and he also made hints that his act will remain small (but you never know...)

9: Mat Franco. Initially, I considered him slightly inferior to Smoothini...Now he is slightly superior for the simple fact that I got to see one more trick from him, and it was impressive enough to possibly put Smoothini's audition to shame...But also like Smoothini, he seems content with keeping his act in a small space...Not that he can't go far with it; Let's not forget Collins Key...But still, it's something to think about...

8: Christian Stoinev. His audition was impressive, and his callback performance was excellent! But Christian Stoinev makes this high rank in the list for one major factor: He might just know how to keep this going! He said specifically that he has more to come, so chances are, he planned ahead, something that more danger acts should have the common sense to do...I dunno, he might just have a chance...Of course, it's also quite likely that his next performance will end up being more underwhelming than he intends...

7: Blue Journey. This could very well be the big, artsy act of the season...The fact that they were sent straight to the live shows indicates their promise...But it also keeps me from seeing more of them, so it's also likely that they could fall flat early on or even later, just like SensEtion and Catapult last season...

6: Acte II. Again, I don't know what to expect of them in the long run, especially since their audition is their only performance so far...But after Forte last season, these ladies definitely seem like a potential successor...

5: Emil and Dariel. This is probably my favorite act so far...But again, so far all I've seen is their audition...That said, these guys have a very great chance of winning, as I can't quite fathom how they can screw up, which is a good thing!

4: Sons of Serendip. I love this band so much! Every time they perform, they move me to tears! Will they be a favorite this season? Only time will tell...

3: Mara Justine. Every season has that pre-teen singer with the amazing voice (who is usually a girl). Mara has so much potential to go far in this game, that I don't think she'll be in much trouble until she has to deal with either of the Top 2 in this list...

2: Kelli Glover. Quite possibly the best solo singer of the season, Kelli deserves to be a favorite! Her only disadvantage? Well, she has boobs and a vagina...The voters at home tend to prefer the guys, as said voters are mostly made up of teenage girls and middle-aged women who like them some hot young male ass...

1: Paul Ieti. And this year, that ass belongs to Paul Ieti...He has everything necessary to attract votes: The unassuming appearance, the amazing unfitting voice, the military background, the sob story, the good looks, and of course, the Youtube hits! Probably the only thing he has that is different from previous favorites in the singing category is that he is only in his early 20s as opposed to over 30...But unless the judges bring any of those guys back as a Wildcard, Paul Ieti is the closest thing to the conventional favorite this season...Overall, I'd say he's the act to beat this season! (In an earlier season, I would have seen that as a threat...But this year, as long as he's not another 30+ dude with the Cinderella story, I wouldn't mind him winning at all...)

To be continued...

Edited on 07/24/2014 10:08pm

JM5000

[14]Jul 24, 2014

So that just leaves one open spot in the Top 48...It will go to one of three acts, and they all performed on Tuesday on the Today Show...So let's analyze each of them:

Cornell Bhangra: These guys seem like a legitimately talented group...They probably won't go very far, but their performance was good enough that they deserve a second try on AGT...

Domino Effects: Domino acts are always cool to watch, and these kids are the real deal! Seriously, they each have their own Youtube channels where they put together some mesmerizing displays! This display was no exception...That said, domino acts are naturally very limited in what is possible for a stage show...

Power House Tumblers: This was my least favorite of the bunch...They had some nice flips, but there didn't seem to be much else to it...Plus, if you look carefully in the video, you'll see that one of them ran into another one at the very front...A mistake like that would lose them significant points on AGT, so I think ideally, they will lose some major votes for that...But again, they weren't anything special to begin with...

So basically, my favorite to least favorite is in the order listed...I went ahead and voted for Cornell Bhangra, but I guess I wouldn't mind if Domino Effects wins either...REALLY hoping it doesn't go to the Tumblers, because along with that mistake and what limited material they have, they just aren't that interesting compared to the other two...Still, I appreciate what they're doing, since it's for a noble cause...

Last but not least, I shall make predictions for next week:

Acts I am rooting for: Baila Conimgo, David & Leeman, Flight Crew Jump Rope and Valo & Bobby...

Acts to watch out for: Dan Naturman, Emily West, Julia Goodwin, Miguel Dakota and I guess maybe the Willis Clan...

Also, the Rockettes will be back next week, probably to put on another big Radio City opening number before the acts compete...Enrique Iglesias: Don't care...Sean Paul: He's still alive!?

Other possible guest performers for this season: Iggy Azalea, Ariana Grande, MAGIC!, Mariah Carey, Neon Trees, Train (it seems unavoidable), Maroon 5, Ne-Yo, Girls' Generation, Shakira, Karmin, Jason DeRulo, Lindsey Stirling (she IS a former AGT contestant after all), Phillip Phillips, The Roots, Ed Sheeran, 5 Seconds of Summer, Owl City, Trey Songz, Morrissey, Weird Al Yankovic (I can hope...), Lenny Kravitz, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, OK Go, Chris Brown, Nicki Minaj, T.I.

HOO! That was a big article! Well...Feel free to let me know what you all think...I'll see you guys next week when the live shows finally begin!

robertmatsuzoe

[15]Jul 27, 2014
    • level: 1

Wow. It's really been a delight to find this website. Great comments. You had me at "No. 46. Sean and Luke."

Like most AGT viewers, I know nothing about talent. What makes me different is I'm self-aware. So it's always fun after watching a show to get online and see what other people think.

Just a few quick thoughts...

Probably my favorite performer this year is Julia Goodwin, the jazzy teen singer. I like her voice, but more than that I like her poise, confidence and professionalism. I can see she wants to win. But unlike most of the other contestants, I don't think she needs to win. She's not relying on some pitiful sob story to gain sympathy. She goes on stage, does her job, and walks away. She'll be a success in life, whatever she chooses to do. And that's refreshing to see. She's due to perform this week. I don't know if she'll advance. Several other acts seem to have a better shot, but that's OK. She'll land on her feet no matter what happens.

You mentioned somewhere about YouTube hits, and I sometimes look that up to gauge who is popular. Interesting who the top 10 are so far...

11,834,00 -- Smoothini

6,232,000 -- Adrian Romoff

5,769,000 -- Anna Clendening

3,754,000 -- Willis clan

3,094,000 -- David and Leeman

1,983,000 -- Paul Ieti

1,103,714 -- Dan Naturman

1,049,000 -- Emil and Dariel

1,049,000 -- Hart Dance Team

Note the Willis Clan, David & Leeman and Dan Naturman are all performing this week, and all have more than a million YouTube hits. If they're the favorites – and assuming they all perform well – there's only room for one more.

I understand your comments about the Willis Clan, but I have a fear that Cute will trump Talent this week, as it frequently does. It would be nice if one of the judges would channel Piers Morgan and threaten to fail the group unless the oldest daughter goes solo.

I liked Emil and Dariel, the rock cellists. It sounds like everyone was blown away by their original approach. So, I was a little disappointed when I went online and found they're not the first to play rock cello. Nor are the even the first to play Purple Haze on cello. There's a Croatian duo, 2 Cellos, who have been doing this for a few years. They've performed on stage with Elton John, and recorded a YouTube video playing Purple Haze a year ago. So Emil & Dariel may have a great act, but I don't think it would be accurate to claim they're an original act.

Elton John discussing 2 Cellos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fmBwAECbE

2 Cellos performing Purple Haze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae23y2D8VSI

For what it's worth, Wendy Liebman is the best comedian I've seen on AGT, this season or ever. Of course, that's not saying much, and I don't believe she (or anybody else I've seen on AGT) is a million dollar act, but if Tom Cotter could make it to No. 2, she should make it to at least the next round.

On your list of the top 47, you have singers or musicians taking all of the top six spots, and that seems a little top-heavy to me. I suspect there will be one or two variety acts (magicians, dance, etc.) in the top five. Given his YouTube hits, I suspect Smoothini may be one of them.

Anyway, just a couple random thoughts. Looking forward to seeing this week's show and reading your comments afterwards...

JM5000

[16]Jul 29, 2014

Tonight, the live shows have begun...And boy, what an opener! Usually the highlights are saved for the second half of the show, so I knew tonight was gonna be a tough choice when the first half already had three great acts...The second half sure didn't disappoint either...

Well, enough talk, on to the acts!

12: Sean & Luke. I had a feeling that this would be the weakest act tonight, and I was correct...They did what they could to make it bigger and more entertaining, but it was still generic and simple...They're definitely not a BAD act, don't get me wrong, they're trying their hardest! But sometimes, the problem isn't the effort, it's the promise held to begin with; They're just two guys! I'm not gonna pay a big wad of cash just to see two guys tap-dance! As Howard always says (at least I THINK it's Howard), "Go big, or go home!" This act isn't big enough...Until they can get more dancers involved, they should definitely go home, which I do believe is just what they'll do tomorrow...

11: Julia Goodwin. Yeah, she kinda bored me tonight...Not that she isn't a good singer, but she was pretty forgettable compared to the other two solo singers tonight...I really liked the set though...

10: The Willis Clan. There's still great harmony between these kids, but I think the reason why they sound so small for such a big group is because only a few of them are actually performing...For a band made of adorable siblings, they were pretty forgettable tonight...

9: JD Anderson. And now we get to our overrated act of the evening...It was a unique set and all, but overall, he just repeated what he already did in his previous performances (except for the part where he chopped bricks, and even there, one of the stacks fell over). I appreciate the feats of strength he's displayed so far, but this just isn't for me...

8: Jasmine Flowers. Now we get to the acts I DID like...I had a feeling that this act wouldn't score very well with the judges, but I still enjoyed the spectacle, and liked how they mixed it up a bit with the parasols...They won't go through, but they still have my respect...

7: Flight Crew Jump Rope. I thought this group did a very good job tonight, but with the heavy competition, it was kinda easy to forget them as the night went on...They probably won't go through, and I won't really care, but I still appreciate what they brought tonight...

6: Baila Conmigo. Great moves, great choreography, it was energetic, fast, and overall infectious...That said, with the competition tonight, I would gladly let this act be eliminated...However, chances are, they're one of the favorites tonight...

5: David & Leeman. I will agree that this act was a little drawn out, but I think the end result paid off...These guys are still great characters, so despite the flaws, this still manages the #5 spot in my countdown...

4: Miguel Dakota. Let me just start by saying that Howard's criticism didn't make a lick of sense...He was basically just like, "Blah, blah, blah, you have the charisma but not the voice, you have the voice but not the charisma, I don't think you're a winning act, blah, blah, blah..." You can clearly tell that he has a clear bias against certain singers...Me? I actually thought Miguel had one of the best stage presences I've ever seen on this show, with a powerful singing voice, and he REALLY stepped it up with the band, which helped make it energetic, exciting, and a little hypnotic...Not quite the best singer ever, but he did good enough that I think he deserves to go through (and I think he will...)

3: Valo & Bobby. This is the act tonight that I think deserves to move forward, but probably won't...Being only the second act tonight and having other danger acts promptly get more attention can definitely hurt their votes...But I think they knew how to step it up, and still show a clear ability in strength, and for that, they deserve much more votes than JD Anderson or Flight Crew...

2: Dan Naturman. Okay, this time, I got his jokes, and they were hilarious! Can't decide yet if he's the best comedian to ever come on this show, but for now, he gets my vote!

1: Emily West. Her voice was gorgeous, the rendition of the song was gorgeous, she was gorgeous...Everything about this performance was gorgeous! Emily is the star of an excellent set of acts, and deserves to go forward...Question is...will she?

VERY strong opener! Something tells me the producers will regret compiling these acts next week, because the following week will probably be loaded with mediocres and screw-ups...Of course, I'll be very pleased if they prove me wrong...

My Votes: I used three phones, and two websites, gave ten votes on each...I split the votes between the three that I think will need them: Dan Naturman, David & Leeman and Valo & Bobby...Of course, when extra votes were to be given, they went to Valo & Bobby since they ESPECIALLY need them...

How America will probably vote: This was such a strong night, that just about anyone (except Sean & Luke, Julia Goodwin and Jasmine Flowers) could be voted through tomorrow...But the most likely candidates are Emily West, Dan Naturman, Miguel Dakota and Baila Conmigo...

Tomorrow, Don't Know and Don't Care will both perform, and the votes will be tallied...I got my fingers crossed for certain acts to go forward, but I'm not holding my breath...

BKiddo626

[17]Jul 30, 2014

Finally! FINALLY!! The live shows have FINALLY started! And I gotta say... it was kinda weak, honestly. I only found my Top 5 any good. The rest were all meh. None of them were bad, per se. Just... meh. Anyhoo, on with the first list of the season!

12.) The Willis Clan - It's weird. Despite being such a big group, I thought the stage felt really empty and hollow. And the song choice wasn't all that good either. Just a very hollow performance.

11.) Baila Conmigo - They were good, but they didn't really do anything different from any salsa group that's been on this show in the past. Very forgettable.

10.) Miguel Dakota - Is it me, or did it feel like he was out of sync with the instrumentation in the beginning? I don't think he righted himself until he hit the chorus for the first time. I think his performance was so electrifying because of the arrangement; if it was just his voice, I think it would've been very boring. I agree, more or less, with Howard when he said that he's probably going through because of his looks. He himself has charisma, but the performance fell flat.

9.) Julia Goodwin - I think the reason her performance felt dull was because of the song choice. "Iris" has gotta be the most boring, uninspired song ever, and I'm sick of it being so constantly covered on these shows. The song really didn't do her justice, and she suffered because of it, sad to say.

8.) Sean & Luke - I actually didn't think they were that bad. It was a pretty good way to start the live shows, and the presentation felt slick. With that said, I think this is the best they're going to do, and they're going home tomorrow.

7.) JD Anderson - This performance definitely felt repetitive, complete with the block of ice he ran through for the second time. One stack of flaming tiles tipped over, and he had such a distant look in his eyes when the act was done. When he said he was about to black out, I believed him. Still, I just don't think he's good enough to make it past tonight.

6.) Jasmine Flowers - It's definitely pleasing to the eye, and aesthetically, it's beautiful. I'm pulling for them, but I don't think they're going to make it through.

5.) Valo and Bobby - Man, did this act look dangerous! This one actually had me on the edge of my seat, it was great! I don't think I've ever seen that trick before, at least not on this show. I hope they make it through.

4.) David & Leeman - Howard had a point when he said that they were taking too long to get to the trick itself, but the payoff was so fantastic, I'm willing to forgive it this time. That's always a little rule of mine when it comes to magicians: I can forgive a dull set-up if the payoff makes up for it, and this one totally did. Still, I hope they take Howard's advice to heart next time.

3.) Dan Naturman - I thought this guy's material was pretty spot-on tonight. He had great timing, and it was relevant. He kinda reminds me of an angry Jerry Seinfeld. He's going through.

2.) Emily West - Her voice was beautiful. The way she just went in and out of her falsettos so fluidly was amazing. If she doesn't make it through tomorrow, then there's something seriously wrong with America.

1.) Flight Crew Jump Rope - This one was the act that actually impressed me the most tonight. Everything was precise, no mistakes, no nothing. It felt like a spectacle, and I enjoyed it immensely. Hope they go through.

Top 5 I WANT to go through:

Flight Crew Jump Rope

Emily West

Dan Naturman

David & Leeman

Valo and Bobby

Top 5 that are probably going through:

Miguel Dakota

Emily West

JD Anderson

David & Leeman

Dan Naturman

Edited on 07/29/2014 11:54pm

robertmatsuzoe

[18]Jul 30, 2014
    • level: 1

JM:

Gotta disagree with you on a lot of your comments. This is one of the worst live AGT shows I've ever seen. It was relentlessly mediocre, which is really sad because there were a lot of talented people on the stage, and I was really looking forward to tonight's show. But none of them had their best night.

First, let me praise the commercials. All of them were beautifully produced, clear and visually appealing. That was not the case with the actual show. Whoever did the lighting for the live show should be fired. They had strobes and spotlights flashing into the camera, bleaching out the screen. It made it very hard to watch most of the performances, especially the dance acts. It wasn't a problem with my eyes or our TV because the commercials were fine, as were all the other TV programs we've watched the last few days. It was AGT. This was a terribly produced episode. So if I seem a little too harsh on some of these acts, maybe it's because I have a strobe-induced migraine.

I'm going to put these in order of appearance…

1. Sean and Luke. Agree with you.

2. Valo and Bobby: Two tricks? That's it? And she wasn't even cycling in the circle, she was simply twirling around a central bar on a fake bicycle prop. Dangerous? Yes. Awe-inspiring? Hardly. Need to see this again? No.

3. Julia Goodwin: I've really liked her past performances, but it seems like she held back and played it safe. She was the first of several acts that seemed over-produced and under-performed.

4. Baila Conmingo: Too much going on, not enough that seemed clear on the TV screen. The strobe-effect really made them hard to watch. We've seen plenty of salsa on AGT in past seasons, and this wasn't any more memorable than the other acts.

5. David and Leeman: Yeah, it was slow. The problem I had was the payoff was supposed to be the selfie, but I couldn't' see it or the name tags on the selfie, so that was a waste. Sure, they changed their name tags, but only after trying to talk the judges out of two or three other words. It seemed a very clumsy performance. Yes, there are likable guys, and I'd probably vote for them because I'm sure they can do better than they did tonight.

6. The Willis Clan: I think Mel B made a good observation about them sounding muted, or as if they didn't fill the stage. Yeah. As you (JM5000) mentioned, there are a lot of kids on that stage doing nothing, and it showed tonight.

7. Flight Crew Jump Rope: It's sad when the best act of the night is a jump rope act, something that belongs at a high school pep assembly.

8. Jasmine Flowers: Flawlessly executed, and looks the same as their last couple performances. Entirely forgettable. I might go to Chinatown to see this act, but not Vegas.

9. Emily West: I suppose she was the highlight of the night, but an hour later, I can't remember anything but the Lana Turner hair and the 1940s microphone. It was a forgettable song and a forgettable performance, but on this sucky night, who wants to be memorable?

10. JD Anderson: Screwed up one of his three tricks (breaking the blocks or whatever they were), and repeated the ice trick. If he's already repeating stuff, I don't think I need to see him again.

11. Dan Naturman: One good joke, one OK joke, and one that fell flat. In a classroom full of dunces, the C- student is king.

12. Beatles Tribute Band: I think Miguel Dakota was supposed to be performing, but I could barely hear him among all the other instruments on stage. He had a couple good moments. The drummer had a few better moments.

My guess is we'll probably see Emily West, Miguel Dakota and David & Leeman advancing. Don't know who the other two will be. Could be anybody. Everyone deserves to go home, so it really is a level playing field.

JM5000

[19]Jul 30, 2014

BKiddo626 wrote:

Finally! FINALLY!! The live shows have FINALLY started! And I gotta say... it was kinda weak, honestly. I only found my Top 5 any good.

Five good acts wasn't good enough!?

modernfamily120

[20]Jul 30, 2014
    • level: 20

I'm back! I haven't been watching much this season, but I'm here for the live shows! Here's the order, best to worst, that I would put these acts in along with a short explanation.

12. JD Anderson

I don't totally hate this guy, because he does make it a show, not just some guy breaking things, but one of the stacks of wood or whatever just fell over, and the ice block part wasn't only a repeat, but it looked just sloppy and unimpressive (even though it obviously is an impressive feat)

11. The Willis Clan

Their original performance was great, but this one felt empty, which is a big problem when you have ten people performing.

10. Julia Goodwin

I did enjoy her performance, but it was easily forgotten a half hour later. Nothing stood out about her act.

9. David & Leeman

They are enjoyable people, and their audition was fantastic, but this trick was slow, and their end result was not worth it.

8. Valo & Bobby

The big question with this act is what more can they do, and I'm thinking that the answer is not much. I think that this is pretty much it here.

7. Dan Naturman

He's a funny person, and once he got there he was funny, but it took a while to get there, the first joke I laughed at was the one about getting drunk and making a baby, the first few jokes he told weren't funny, and that's going to cost him. I think that he'd make a better sitcom star than a comedian.

6. Baila Conmigo

I really wish that six acts could make it through, because I loved this act! Their energy is amazing and their act is captivating.

5. Emily West

Her voice is big. Her performance was captivating. She was a singer who stood out.

4. Miguel Dakota

I really enjoyed his rendition of the song, it was a really good performance, and I song I would definitely purchase.

3. Flight Crew Jump Rope

It's not often that you get a jump rope act, the last one I remember was 3-4 years ago. This act was fun and exciting, I really loved it.

2. Sean & Luke

They have made tap dance, which is something not everyone enjoys, into something that everyone can enjoy. Their performance was fantastic!

1. Jasmine Flowers

Now this is art! There is so much talent that shines when these girls perform, they are incredible! I'm worried about them because, Mel B is right, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they top my list for sure!

The top five on my list are who I hope makes it through (though #4-6 are interchangeable). But this is who I think will make it:

-The first four:

Flight Crew Jump Rope

Emily West

Dan Naturman

Miguel Dakota

-The Judges' Decision:

Sean & Luke vs David & Leeman

Howard: David & Leeman

Heidi: Sean & Luke

Mel B: David & Leeman

Howie: David & Leeman

I will be very happy if Jasmine Flowers make it through because those girls are the best! Well, we will find out tonight.