America's Next Top Model Forums

Friday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

E! Online picks up the Saleisha Scandal

VideoJill

[1]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 1

www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=c40a8f75-b186-4613-94f1-cddfb07ddbf7&sid=fd-hot3-txt

E! News: Saleisha Tops Top Model, Cue the Carping

Were a pretty face, a fierce walk and a perky attitude all it took to propel Saleisha Stowers to the Top Model title?

After the 19-year-old former receptionist from Los Angeles was named the winner on Wednesday's ninth-cycle finale, the blogosphere was buzzing with reasons why she may have been undeserving of the victory.

Though it was made clear from the outset of the season that Saleisha had a prior relationship with Tyra Banks, having attended the supermodel's T-Zone camp for underprivileged girls when she was 14, viewers were given no indication that the twosome's acquaintance extended beyond that experience.

However, sharp-eyed fans soon dug up footage showing Saleisha walking the catwalk in an ANTM cycle-six fashion show, as well as appearing on the runway in an episode of The Tyra Banks Show.

Viewers also found that Saleisha had appeared in a nationwide Wendy's commercial that aired in 2006, seemingly in violation of an America's Next Top Model eligibility rule that states would-be contestants "must not have previous experience as a model in a national campaign within the last five years (including, but not limited to, appearances on television and print advertisements)."

Whether Saleisha's prior experience gave her an unfair advantage over Barbie-esque runner-up Chantal and cynical third-place finisher Jeneh is up for debate.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

neishababee

[2]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 9
    omg. LET IT GO.

JoeyzPizza47

[3]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 8
    Normally I wouldn't think it was a big deal, but it was so OBVIOUS that Saleisha was going to win from the beginning that you can't ignore it. She seemingly couldn't do any wrong in the judges' eyes, even when her pictures weren't good. She got more chances than any of the other girls. It kind of makes the show's validity in question. Saleisha definitely was not the best model in this cycle, even with her prior experience. Tyra even said it! She said how Jeneh has stomped all over Saleisha this whole competition even though she has experience. So why should she win? This is the worst outcome since Cycle 5.

gymfreak831

[4]Dec 13, 2007
    JoeyzPizza47 wrote:
    Normally I wouldn't think it was a big deal, but it was so OBVIOUS that Saleisha was going to win from the beginning that you can't ignore it. She seemingly couldn't do any wrong in the judges' eyes, even when her pictures weren't good. She got more chances than any of the other girls. It kind of makes the show's validity in question. Saleisha definitely was not the best model in this cycle, even with her prior experience. Tyra even said it! She said how Jeneh has stomped all over Saleisha this whole competition even though she has experience. So why should she win? This is the worst outcome since Cycle 5.

amen.... this finale ranks right up there disappointment wise with cycles 2, 4, and 5. plus, if EOnline is doing a story on it, it must be a bigger deal than just random fans on message boards.

lyghthouse

[5]Dec 13, 2007

I agree.

GozzipGal

[6]Dec 13, 2007

Thats why she got so upset when she was bragging about her modeling experience and Bianca began questioning her because she knew if she said something the girls would have got her disqualified. Which she should have been.

n3xt_l3v3l

[7]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 26
    E! Online is pretty slow with releasing this news. But I guess better late than ever. - Yawns.

were121

[8]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    not surprising. Between nigel and tyra no one stood a chance. in general, the cycle finale was blah.

tbys1980

[9]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 15
    VideoJill wrote:

www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=c40a8f75-b186-4613-94f1-cddfb07ddbf7&sid=fd-hot3-txt

E! News: Saleisha Tops Top Model, Cue the Carping

Were a pretty face, a fierce walk and a perky attitude all it took to propel Saleisha Stowers to the Top Model title?

After the 19-year-old former receptionist from Los Angeles was named the winner on Wednesday's ninth-cycle finale, the blogosphere was buzzing with reasons why she may have been undeserving of the victory.

Though it was made clear from the outset of the season that Saleisha had a prior relationship with Tyra Banks, having attended the supermodel's T-Zone camp for underprivileged girls when she was 14, viewers were given no indication that the twosome's acquaintance extended beyond that experience.

However, sharp-eyed fans soon dug up footage showing Saleisha walking the catwalk in an ANTM cycle-six fashion show, as well as appearing on the runway in an episode of The Tyra Banks Show.

Viewers also found that Saleisha had appeared in a nationwide Wendy's commercial that aired in 2006, seemingly in violation of an America's Next Top Model eligibility rule that states would-be contestants "must not have previous experience as a model in a national campaign within the last five years (including, but not limited to, appearances on television and print advertisements)."

Whether Saleisha's prior experience gave her an unfair advantage over Barbie-esque runner-up Chantal and cynical third-place finisher Jeneh is up for debate.

No I don't think she should have won. It should be like radio contests where if you know anyone at the radio station then you are uneligible to win.

SamusAran825

[10]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 4
    I have nothing against Saleisha as a model. She wasn't my favorite in this cycle, then again, no one really was. She definitely has some talent, and out of the final three, I still think she was the most well-rounded model. However, rules are rules, and I do wonder just how her modeling on Tyra's talk show and doing that Wendy's commercial didn't disqualify her. It's not like Tyra can say "Oh, I didn't know." Tyra even acknowledged Saleisha's modeling experience in the finale.

But oh well. She's already won, so it's not like they can take it back. Who knows, if this story gets enough publicity, then maybe Tyra will talk about it on her show. It's not that I don't like Saleisha as a model or anything like that, but from the sounds of things, rules were broken. That can cause people to question the intentions of the show, and even Tyra.

And you thought the drama only happened IN Top Model.

mocha_latte3

[11]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 2
    I was halfway convinced that Tyra & the producers were going to pull a classic reality tv stunt. I thought that they would announce Saleisha the winner or either get to the finale & be like "ooops...you violated the eligibility rules & we have to disqualify you." It's oen thing to have prior experience, I think that the winner should have some type of experience. Because we see the girls with no experience have no clue when it comes to the challenges & walking the runway & it takes too long to train them. But Saleshia just came along & completely violated the rules. Commericals, ads, TYRA'S SHOW!!! Now that's just wrong.

annyrb15

[12]Dec 13, 2007
    JoeyzPizza47 wrote:

Yeah, I totally agree.

Dzyres

[13]Dec 13, 2007
    • level: 7
    Cause Jenah looks hideous in person and if she came nto my imaginary design shop, I would not but my imaginary designs on her! She does not have the air of a model. Where is her pride in her appearancE? She looks like the drummer girl who is late for band practice.

RugratBoy91

[14]Dec 14, 2007
    Saleisha has to be de-throned its not FAIR Chantal and Jenah had no experience. and look. they shoot better pic's than tootie.

crazybabecake

[15]Dec 14, 2007
    • level: 13

RugratBoy91 wrote:
    Saleisha has to be de-throned its not FAIR Chantal and Jenah had no experience. and look. they shoot better pic's than tootie.

Tootie....**snort, snort** LOL!!!!

I also think it is unfair. And I definitly don't think she was the best in this competition, by far. She was the most well rounded out of the bottom 3, but not the best out of the entire competition.Nothing is going to be done about it now. She's won, already had photo shoots. It's over. I love Tyra, but I think thiscycle was a train wreck. I hope they get it together before the next one.

neishababee

[16]Dec 14, 2007
    Dzyres wrote:
    Cause Jenah looks hideous in person and if she came nto my imaginary design shop, I would not but my imaginary designs on her! She does not have the air of a model. Where is her pride in her appearancE? She looks like the drummer girl who is late for band practice.

lol lol hilarious. do you think you might book her for an imaginary shoot for your imaginary spring line?

cattlover

[17]Dec 14, 2007
    • level: 3

RugratBoy91 wrote:

LOL, "Tootie" Or as some have called her "mushroom top" definitely got an unfair advantage, and I think it's totally unfair for her to have even been in the Cycle!

Chantal (and after the first week, Heather) were my favorites from the very beginning, and I feel like Chantal was robbed.

This whole cycle was so, so weird. I know that they went with a lot of younger girls, but they were so immature! Great stuff.. Bianca and others making fun of Heather. Yay! Makes great role models

And then when I found out about Saleisha and the former modeling she had done, that did me in. If she was just soooooo fabulous I'd maybe say she deserved it, but I thought she was a kiss-butt a lot of the times.

Dzyres

[18]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 7
    neishababee wrote:
    Dzyres wrote:
    Cause Jenah looks hideous in person and if she came into my imaginary design shop, I would not put my imaginary designs on her! She does not have the air of a model. Where is her pride in her appearancE? She looks like the drummer girl who is late for band practice.

lol lol hilarious. do you think you might book her for an imaginary shoot for your imaginary spring line?

Lol. Hell no!!

sethsummer4evx3

[19]Dec 15, 2007
    • level: 13
    cattlover wrote:

RugratBoy91 wrote:

LOL, "Tootie" Or as some have called her "mushroom top" definitely got an unfair advantage, and I think it's totally unfair for her to have even been in the Cycle!

Chantal (and after the first week, Heather) were my favorites from the very beginning, and I feel like Chantal was robbed.

This whole cycle was so, so weird. I know that they went with a lot of younger girls, but they were so immature! Great stuff.. Bianca and others making fun of Heather. Yay! Makes great role models

And then when I found out about Saleisha and the former modeling she had done, that did me in. If she was just soooooo fabulous I'd maybe say she deserved it, but I thought she was a kiss-butt a lot of the times.

Chantal was robbed. I thought this show was supposed to be about new faces entering the modeling indrusty. Saleisha has experience, Chantal didn't. What's the point of having this show if someone who has modeling experience wins. Chantal, Jenah, Lisa, or Heather should of won.

degrassi12fan

[20]Dec 16, 2007
    • level: 2
    i loved saleshia but i did see her on the runway walk with missy elliot performing work it in 2003 so she must of have some experience