America's Next Top Model

The Girl Who Won't Stop Talking, Part 2

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Feb 28, 2007 on The CW

• The 13 finalists do their first photoshoot with Nigel Barker and participate in a challenge at Goodwill. One girl is eliminated, leaving 12 to compete for a contract with Elite, a cover and spread in Seventeen, and a $100,000 Covergirl contract.

After 7 seasons of watching self-absorbed, stressed and desperate girls fight over petty things, this episode is nothing new. It almost seemed contrived to me, like the producers were trying to hard to create catfights, and to stir up drama. Or, who knows, maybe the girls from this season really are more catty. From complaining that one girl tries to be friends with every one, to jealousy from another that the challenge wasn't fair because she doesn't normally go thrift shopping, it all seemed more petty than usual.

I would say that this season is not off to a great start. The quality of this season's aspriring models was not up to the standards set by previous seasons (as evidenced by the general lackluster performances in the photoshoot). I also found no single character that I could really empathize or sympathize with, as I had in season 6 with Danielle, Nnenna, and Joanie.

In short, this episode seemed canned and contrived, but it's kind of hard not to watch so you can at least feel better about yourself.
OXYGN