An American in Canada

CBC (ended 2004)

lare84

An American in Canada Fan Reviews (2)

5.1
  • I would like to watch it

but it's not available :(
  • Makes it worthwhile to have America for a neighbour...

An American in Canada is very typical CBC comedy at its best. It’s poking fun at Americans in the very best, light hearted don’t-worry-it’s-all-in-fun sort of way, which is one of Canada’s favourite past times.

Potentially inspired by Rick Mercer’s ‘Talking to Americans’ which was a major hit, An American in Canada is based on the same sort of premise – the demonstration of just how ignorant our southern neighbours can be when it comes to our country. Are all American’s like this? Of course not, but that doesn’t make it any less amusing.

The show also pokes fun at Canadians, through the a-typical characters of Bill, the un-ambitious boss who is content to be Calgary’s 3rd favourite morning news program, Derrick, the alcoholic, hockey obsessed camera man, Mara, the over-worked underpaid intern, Dennis, the somewhat clueless host, and Judy, the only one who seems to have any sort of usable power. Unfortunately, the show ended rather abruptly and almost on a cliff-hanger (though better off than some other CBC programs I could name). Other than that, the show represents a laugh-filled half hour of mindless amusement that I would definitely recommend.