Andromeda Forums

Syfy (ended 2005)

Hows Andromeda stack up against Farscape and babylon 5?

hbktimf24

[1]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 7
     Farscape is my Fav series ever, i just finished babylon 5 which was awesome. Now i need a new Scifi show to watch begining to end. I was thinking andromeda, before i get all five seasons, is it worth it, or does it pale so much to Farscape and babylon 5 i wont be able to watch it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Clemontine

[2]Mar 26, 2007
    • level: 23
    It pales a lot. Farscape is one of my fave shows too, but I was still able to watch Andromeda. It is entertaining at times even though it is very poorly written. I wouldnt suggest buying it without watching it first. If possible, rent the first season then decide.

imyourvirus

[3]Apr 6, 2007
    Farscape is amazing, I just started watching Andromeda, bout 15 episodes through the first season, I have yet to see babylon 5, I havn't seen it up for download anywhere, but if your looking for something good I would def recomend Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis which isn't over yet and well there's always Firefly... and ...

MrRossZ

[4]Jun 16, 2007
    • level: 8
    For me it goes B5 first Andromeda and then farscape

darth_pocki

[5]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 10

to me, as good as everything kinda pales compared to Farscape XD (except Firefly...)

Andromeda isn't near as strong and engaging.... to me that is. But then again, Farscape is my overall favourite show.

imyourvirus

[6]Jul 1, 2007
    Ah there all good...

alwaysobsessed

[7]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 22
    The first 3 seasons were pretty good, and then it went downhill from there. Andromeda is nothing compared to Farscape, In my opinion.

B4UBlahh

[8]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 13
    alwaysobsessed wrote:
    The first 3 seasons were pretty good, and then it went downhill from there. Andromeda is nothing compared to Farscape, In my opinion.

Andromeda tops them all, better special effects,SGI, and stories. Then it would be farscape, it had great story lines but some of the special effects seemed to much like a "B movie" budget, then Babylon 5. Babylon 5 reminded me of a really long episode of "The Outer Limits", but was still good.
    on a 1-10 scale I would give each:
    Andromeda:10
    Farscape :9
    Babylon 5:7
    Edited on 04/13/2008 8:00pm

lowriderz95s10

[9]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 67
    I like each show for different reasons but I agree Andromeda is no Farscape.

Clemontine

[10]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 23
    B4UBlahh wrote:
    alwaysobsessed wrote:

Andromeda tops them all, better special effects,SGI, and stories. Then it would be farscape, it had great story lines but some of the special effects seemed to much like a "B movie" budget, then Babylon 5. Babylon 5 reminded me of a really long episode of "The Outer Limits", but was still good.
    on a 1-10 scale I would give each:
    Andromeda:10
    Farscape :9
    Babylon 5:7

Wow, I think I might cry.

storepatter

[11]Apr 23, 2008
    • level: 6

hbktimf24 wrote:
    Farscape is my Fav series ever, i just finished babylon 5 which was awesome. Now i need a new Scifi show to watch begining to end. I was thinking andromeda, before i get all five seasons, is it worth it, or does it pale so much to Farscape and babylon 5 i wont be able to watch it.

Infinitely inferior - with cheap sets (makes B5 look like the spent a million) bad writing not too hot acting, and Sorbos notion that he is the best and should be center at all times. The original creator and designer of the series was kicked off because he didn't think Sorbo should be front and center all the time. In B5 there was a story to tell, her it was simply to make money because they know there are always someone who'll pay for anything.

Of course you may just be one of the latter

Idbeolderifiwas

[12]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 20
    Well I've only seen up to season 3 of Andromeda. I'm almost through Farscape, but have never seen B5. I can tell you though, Andromeda comes nowhere close to being as good as Farscape. The sets and CGI are pretty poor, and the acting is usually pretty bad as well. That said though, I do enjoy watching Andromeda, at least I have up until now. I'm not sure how I'll fare with seasons 4+5 because I've heard they're pretty bad but I think I'll be able to make it through.

doctor_at

[13]Jul 12, 2008
    • level: 1
    Farscape is one of my favorites too I haven't see the continuous after those two main character was in the rowing boat and shut to atoms. I think that there are some episodes after that but not sure. Babylon 5 is good too especially thos episodes which are action loaded, those with drama loaded I like are too heavy for me. I laso like that Andromeda is one of the best series too bad that they have finished it. I really hope more seasons after the season 5. It has large fan base and lot of people like Andromeda so I hope that decision-makers notice this and recontinue it. Startrek and DB9 is far too drama loaded for my taste and no linking story between epsiodes. And I think that StarGate is too lightweight - there are episodes after episodes but there are aslo no common link and story between episodes as Andromeda has. Is there something new coming; space techno action with continuous story with lots of FX?

AT

jrsgalaxy

[14]Sep 3, 2008
    • level: 14

They're all good in their own ways. You will probably like them all for different reasons. Ok for a quick breakdown IMO.

Farscape:Has fantatstic writing and stand alone episode. Great action, acting and humour, drama .

Babylon 5: Has slick dialogue when it comes to story plots and series long arcs....colorful characters and believable at that. Very diverse show.

Andromeda: Great action scenes. Dialouge and stories were slow. Acting was pretty good. But all in all when it comes down to it ..it was just a damn fun show to watch. So I would recommend you watch it and be the judge for yourself. It is worth watching.

Well there you go.. hope that helps.

KingofIPirates

[15]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 32
    Never seen Babylon 5 though unfortunately Andromeda does pale in comparison to Farscape.

pinchasb

[16]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 13

I never got in to Farscape but I would recommend the first 3 seasons of Andromeda.

But nothing compeers to babylon 5 probably the best sci-fi show ever made.

In oder of my recommendation:

1. babylon 5.
    2. Stargate Sg-1.
    3. Stargate Atlantis.
    4. Sanctuary.
    5. Doctor Who (2005).
    6. Andromeda season 1-3.

Edited on 12/02/2008 3:21am
    Edited 3 total times.

villen86

[17]Jul 21, 2009
    Clemontine wrote:
    It pales a lot. Farscape is one of my fave shows too, but I was still able to watch Andromeda. It is entertaining at times even though it is very poorly written. I wouldn,t suggest buying it without watching it first. If possible, rent the first season then decide.

Seriously agreed. If i had to chose between the a new season of farscape or andromeda, farcape, farscape farscape, Leave andromeda by the wayside.

archangelwho

[18]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 18
    I never watch much of Farscape. Babylon 5 had its up and down storylines but ended well. The downs were always followed by an up. They lost control of Andromeda, which started off great, and once it started down it ran away and was never able to pull up. The last season was one of the worst ever in sci-fi history.

ct07192

[19]May 18, 2010
    I just finished Andromeda. It started off good, and went downhill beginning from the final episode of Season 3. Yes, season 3 final episodes. That was when it started to pull things out of thin air to tell a story or lead to a certain event, and never bother explaining how and why. From what I've heard, both Babylon 5 and Farscape has to be ranked top 5 or even top 5 of best Sci-fi series made. As I had just said earlier, Andromeda started to disappoint later in the series and I'm sure both Babylon 5 and Farscape will a much better series to watch.

Archangelwho, adding to your comments about losing control of the show. I did some research after watching the final episode of Season 3. I'm sorry for keep repeating that, but I just can't help it. That was when the character "Tyr" left the show. Starting off Season 4, the executives wanted to focus the show more on "Hunt", rather than the whole cast and the story. Pretty much it's all downhill since then. Keith Hamilton Cobb, 'Tyr', left the show because of that too.