Andromeda Forums

Syfy (ended 2005)

What went Wrong in seasons 4-5?

naval

[1]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 2
    I just started watching this series , I have watched seasons 1-3 and have liked it so far. I do want to watch season 4 and 5, but I have heard that these two seasons are not very good. So if anyone tell me what went wrong i these season (without any/much spoilers) it will be greatly appreciated
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KingofIPirates

[2]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 32
    Basically the storyline got stale and horrible.
    Edited on 08/30/2009 8:22pm

zwixxx

[3]Aug 30, 2009
    • level: 12
    I've likened the seasons of Andromeda to sequels of Weekend at Bernies. By No5 it was pitiful, mere(?) bits of bone and fragments of rotting flesh. For Season 5 they removed everything great about it - team dynamics, space travel, space battles, Lexa - and grounded them (separately) in the same place (huh!). As to what went wrong, well Tyr leaving was a big part. But maybe the 'removal' of the shows creator/developer had something to do with the loss of direction. (and that was around the end of Season2). No doubt you want to finish it to see how it ends, but just think - the time it takes you to watch Season5 you could watch Firefly twice !!!
    Edited on 08/31/2009 1:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

naval

[4]Sep 2, 2009
    • level: 2
    ughh.. sound bad, looks like there are better ways to spend the time like watching firefly twice

archangelwho

[5]Oct 3, 2009
    • level: 18
    There was changes in the writting who, for many reasons and a lot of blame to go around, lost control of the storyline line and the show.

fladimir7

[6]Dec 20, 2009
    • level: 11
    They turned Tyr into a villain and killed him in the worst way anyone could've thought of and was replaced by the most boring guy anyone could've ever encountered. That's what basically killed the show after the 3rd season.

ct07192

[7]May 18, 2010
    • level: 1
    What went wrong? They decided to focus on Dillon Hunt, instead of the crew and the story. Keith Hamilton Cobb left the show because of that. That's why they have to kill Tyr.

archangelwho

[8]Jun 4, 2010
    • level: 18

They started getting away from the storyline then just lost control of the show. The last season is still a big ?.

Ascendant_Angel

[9]Jul 18, 2010
    • level: 1

Sadly what went wrong started even before season 4, but for me I think what went wrong started with the decision to dumb down episodes and shy away from plot arc based story's to more stand alone episodes.

Somewhere along the line episodes started to make less sense, the basic premise of the show got lost, and character development went all over the place, Dylan forgot about his lost love Sarah and started sleeping around, I still can't work out what they did to Tyr, but it's best not to get me started, Harper stopped developing and became the comic relief, and poor Rommie although having some fab moments like Symmetry of imperfection, seemed to devolve becoming more machine like again.

Despite all that I remained a fan until the very end and am still highly active in the fandom. The true strength of Andromeda was it had some truly awesome characters, and the show was at it's best when the episodes were character driven. Despite it's many faults I have a passion for this show which will never die and more love than i can ever express. I wish more people had watched it, outside of the fandom I get a blank look when I mention this show, and that's sad because it was awesome. Andromeda is the unsung hero of it's genre.

Edited on 07/18/2010 5:38pm