Andromeda Forums

Syfy (ended 2005)

Why did Keith Hamilton Cobb leave?

swampape

[1]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 5
    I have not seen an explanation for why Tyr left the show in the third season. Was it a Shelly Long "I want to focus on my movies", a Suzanne Somers "I need more money" or was it just a mutual decision that he needed to leave? I thought he played his character very well and did a great job of being selfish as a character. In the DVD commentaries, few of the other stars ever mention him although they rave on how they missed Rev Bem.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[2]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 45
    I heard him say he wanted to focus on other projects but as we can see all he's done is go back to daytime soaps. I believe it was Sorbo's crap that was the real reason for Cobbs departure.

swampape

[3]Mar 27, 2006
    What did you mean "Sorbo's crap"? I have not been able to find much about how the "crew" actually got along and from the fact that Keith is not mentioned much in the commentaries or behind the scenes footage on the DVDs, just assumed he did not get along well. Was Sorbo having Shatner moments or something?

danharr

[4]Mar 29, 2006
    • level: 45
    He turned the show into Hercules in space hey everybody dylans the star and all stories revolve around me. He took total creative control of the show. That's why the show started it's decline slowly in season 4 and full on garbage in season 5.

KatePH

[5]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 4
    He was one of six people who had creative control and even that was limited. Several times this has come up and in every interview (not only heard by me but others at conventions)that he didn't always get his way...

A friend of mine who is part of the international fan club won a phone call from him and they had a great chat. Talked about the show, his future endeavors and family things.

swampape

[6]Apr 28, 2006
    KatePH, when you say "he", are you referring to Keith or to Kevin Sorbo?

KatePH

[7]Apr 28, 2006
    Kevin Sorbo

TBSKLFCmnd

[8]Jan 15, 2007
    Keith playing Tyr was much better than seeing him on a some soap opera.  Which he quit as well or got fired.

chronoton

[9]May 21, 2008
    • level: 2
    (He turned the show into Hercules in space hey everybody dylans the star and all stories revolve around me. He took total creative control of the show. That's why the show started it's decline slowly in season 4 and full on garbage in season 5.)

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but I don't really think the show declined in season 4 and 5. It was, definitely, more intense sf than hercules ever was, and I'm always a bit confused with the criticism of andromeda; half the herc fans think andromeda got too difficult, others think it was degenerated into hercules in space.
    It's got to be either one or other, can't be both too intellectually challenging AND too lightweight action adventure at the same time.

MknzyCalhoun

[10]Apr 29, 2011
    I tend to agree. I also thought the show got better every season though the 5th was a little confusing it was my favorite.

archangelwho

[11]Jun 8, 2011
    • level: 18

Whatever the reason it was a good move due to how bad the last season was.