Mad to Be Saved

Aired Unknown Oct 14, 2002 on Syfy

• An episode that makes no sense.

After two great seasons, Andromeda seems to take a turn for the worse. This is a particularly bad episode, with holes in the plot so large you could drive, well, Andromeda through.

When the crew saves a group of mentally unstable prisoners, they are allowed to practically take over the ship without anyone so much as protesting (why does Dylan let unstable people walk all over the ship? Why doesn't he try to confine them to quarters or throw them to the brig or something when they are obviously a threat? And why does the only way the Andromeda crew seems to be able to fight is with their fists? Haven't they got stun-guns or something similar in their century?).

The episode then takes one more bizarre twist, with some Mengele-type doctor masquerading as a prisoner, then being found out, then turning into some sort of informer for the Commonwealth, then unexpectedly dying from some unidentified disease. The whole plot looks contrived, the twists are non-sensical and the episode reminds one of a particularly annoying dream that just doesn't make any sense when one wakes up.

Matt Kiene and Joe Reinkemeyer have given us a number of excellent Andromeda shows ("Double Helix" being the best example), but this simply isn't one of them. Dylan, in particular, is increasingly made into a spineless caricature of Hercules, and if a character can "un-develop", then this is what happens in this episode.
  • A bunch of crazy people are taking over the ship.

What could be more fun than watching the ship over run with insane people.

Dillon and his crew rescued some people unaware that any of them had a mental problem. I would of thought they would of been detained for awhile in the infirmary until they were checked out.

I don't understand why Dillon would let them run all over the ship, especially after he realized that they weren't right in the head.

And Dillon seemed to be infatuated with this one girl, when she was a little crazy too. She acted more normal, but she mentioned killing the captain of the previous ship, who's brains were found in a box. If that isn't crazy, I don't know what is.

At first the episode was a little confusing, but in the end I thought it turned out pretty good and it kept me interested.