Andromeda

Syfy (ended 2005)

gabfan31

Andromeda Fan Reviews (78)

• Why did I wait until 2012 to get into Andromeda?????????

First of all let me just say that I am as about as big a fan of Science Fiction as it gets. I can be just as self absorbed, over opinionated, and as well deluded as the next person when it comes to waxing lyrical. But really, there is no need. Andromeda gets such a bad rap, that I too fell foul of taking on board all the negativity surrounding it and never gave it a look until 2012, STUPID me. This show is really one of a kind, as long as you don't have any pre-conceptions and go into with an open mind. I love the Roddenberry Universe, and no one is telling me that Deep Space 9 is not the best show in any universal dimension. But in the parallel Roddenberry universe where things aren't quite as serious and deep, then Andromeda rules.

Mr. High Guard himself, Dylan Hunt, is no Sisko or Picard and definitely no Janeway. Although there is a bit of Tiberius about him, as Eddie Murphy would say "You gotta be a horny motherf***r to f***k a green bitch". Although he does lead an assortment of real cool ship mates in his quest to re-assemble the long dead commonwealth. It's all good but for me, Seamus Zelazny Harper played by Gordon Michael Woolvett, is an absolute Star. Also, Rommie would give Seven a good run for her money in the whole "resistance is futile" stakes. And without giving anything else away, the rest of the cast all fit in really well.

It may not be as cerebral as the Trek stuff, but has just as much right to its existence. I am coming up to the end of season four, and although it may not get to me in the same way as the final season of DS9. I have a feeling that the end of season five is going to be like saying goodbye to an old friend. I came to Andromeda after finishing BSG. In much the same way I was late onto BSG due to some things I read about the remake, again, stupid me. BSG is up there with DS9 for me, and it was great getting into Andromeda as a tonic for all the heavy emotional journey, yet brilliance of BSG.

Anyway, there I go doing the thing I said I would not, and mouthing off to the world like some film critic who thinks that his opinion is worth anything at all. Seriously though, Andromeda is really good fun. Just ignore all the negativity, ignore me and my opinion, and give it a chance, you will not be disappointed.
  • Andromeda was special

There is something spiritual about Andromeda. It took me on a journey that allowed me to belive in the greatness of people and that perhaps we are not alone but just ignorant to what's out there. At the end of the fourth season, i found myself quiet sad and could relate to dillians sadness. He worked so hard to re-create the commenwealth, it was kind of sad for me to see him stuck on some god aweful place, where becka was greedy and trance was not herself. What happened to the friendship they all had. The fourth season was my last season, that was the end of the show for me. The 5th season was simply a bonus but the story arc was frustrating sometimes. It was nice at the end to see dillian reach his goal but i wanted more, even if it was just another episode to see what they they would set in montion with this new found peace.
  • I love this show...

The great thing about Andromeda was that instead of being extreamly serious and scientificly correct it was quite lax. I love shows that star people from other shows that can make fun of the shows they had stared in, and were quick to make jokes about the show they were currently in. The first 3 seasons were great, and I enjoyed the return of Steve Bacic as Telemechus Rhade in season four. Season five was alright, though it could be kind of confusing in a few episodes. Everything ended fairly well which made up for the strangeness of the last season. All in all a very good show that I would recommend to any Sci-Fi fan.
  • Andromeda was a great show. I start watching few years ago when I was searching for new shows to watch.

Andromeda was a great show. I start watching few years ago when I was searching for new shows to watch. I read about it here and it it was a pretty good ideea and it was an original one. First 3 seasons were great, the 4th seasons is pretty good too but I didn't like season 5 at all. It was Andromeda without Andromeda and I didn't quite like it. Another reason I start watching the show was because of the quotes from the begining, then I also start to like the caracters. I didn't like the way they travel through space, the slipstream, It's not quite realistic.
  • zbilja dobra serija absolutely magnificient

one of the best sci-fi series i ever watched.
    It's different than(completely)Star Trek so i love it beecause pretty much enery tv show that exist and is located in space uses warp and andromeda uses hyper space and finaly because of the popularity of andromeda(adleast in Europe)they make series ,games with hyper space(example Ogame(that is a game if someone doesn't know))
  • The Andromeda fights to save the galaxy!

It was a stange show unlike any other sci-fi i've seen and Herc in space was one of the best aspects of the show,

Kevin Sorbo is my second idol next to Kiefer Sutherland(24) the writting was good the episodes on the other hand where hard to follow ala season five.

The episodes with Dylan Hunt's wife(Sam Sorbo) where wonderfull.

Just a good new season and there where a few guest stars i notced via the DVD's.

Cris Judge: SG1

Michale Shanks: SG1

John De'Lance: Star Trek

Michale Hugan: BSG Re - Make.

Hence good season all out actin from start to end.
  • I'm so glad this show is back on the sci-fi channel

In the third season, Dylan and the crew travel from world to world as instructed by the Triumvirate, the leaders of the Commonwealth. But everything is building to the moment from one of his crew will betray him.

The fourth year deals with the corruption of the Commonwealth after the recent betrayal. Things become more intense as the Andromeda is expelled from the Commonwealth, Trance reveals her true form, Harper holds a weapon capable of destroying the Commonwealth, Beka becomes possessed by the Spirit of the Abyss, and a new crew member joins. But the Magog Worldship is nearing, and the final confrontation is to protect a Utopian society from it.
  • An awesome show

Dylan Hunt, captain of the starship Andromeda, was frozen in time and awoke three centuries later to find the Commonweath had fallen. To fight back the chaos among the stars, Hunt must use the Andromeda to restore the Commonwealth and bring unity to the galaxy once again. He recruits a mercenary, Tyr Anasazi, and the crew of the Eureka Maru: Captain Beka Valentine, Engineer Seamus Harper, Physicist Rev Bem, and Medical Officer Trance Gemini. After discovering the Spirit of the Abyss and its powerful weapon, the Magog Worldship, the need for the Commonwealth is greater than ever. 50 member worlds are finally recruited, and the reconstruction of the Commonwealth is finally truly underway. More and more worlds sign on, contributing their fleets to protect each other.
  • an awesome Sci-Fi show

I remember when this was on and my dad and I would watch it together. Sci-Fi should bring this show back on the air like they did last year but that was only for like a month and I couldn't watch it because I was so busy. The Commonwealth spanned three galaxies and a myriad of cultures. Dylan Hunt, captain of the starship Andromeda, was frozen in time and awoke three centuries later to find the Commonweath had fallen. To fight back the chaos among the stars, Hunt must use the Andromeda to restore the Commonwealth and bring unity to the galaxy once again. He recruits a mercenary, Tyr Anasazi, and the crew of the Eureka Maru: Captain Beka Valentine, Engineer Seamus Harper, Physicist Rev Bem, and Medical Officer Trance Gemini.
  • Nice space adventures.

I like nice space adventures and robotics in person becoming ship. same doctor on startgatesg1.
    Andromeda is a Gene Roddenberry creation and is produced my many of the same people that do Star Trek. Although it is (apparently) set in a different universe there are many similarities. Regardless of whether you like Star Trek or not, you should give “Andromeda” a chance.

Kevin Sorbo as Captain Dylan Hunt takes a change of direction from “Hercules” as he has to rely on other people and represents organization.

Lexa Doig is the personification of the ship and appears in various forms: on viewscreens, as a hologram and as an android. She pulls off playing three slightly different versions of one character quite well. Her performance is even more remarkable as much of her acting is done alone in front of green screen and added to the scene after.
  • My second scifi love...It could never be replaced.

From the first episode, I was hooked. I love the action, the in depth story lines and the never ending character friction. The most wonderful thing about Andromeda is that each episode has a new and exciting plot that keeps you on your toes. Granted, it is a bit out dated, but the creativity of Gene Roddenberry is neverending. My favorite characters have always been Seamus Harper and Trance Gemini. I think the idea of having an entirly purple character is something original. I don't care if other people don't like this show...It is definatly one of my favorite of all time!
  • Good show

This started out as a very good show and it kept going like that until the last season. I loved the character interaction, even though some of the characters could have been a little more developed. Up until the moment when the commonwealth is reinstated I understood the show and looked forward to the next episode. But after that it kind of lost its purpose. Trance became a great character and gave life to some episodes that were not that good and Rhade brought a much needed new face to the group. The last season, however, did not make sense at all, it was like a crazy world kind of like an alternate reality thing. Overall a good show that could have been better.
  • The last series let it down

Series 1 - 4 were mind blowing... However what happened with series 5? Did someone know it was game over for Andromeda and just decided to let it die without dignity? Something went wrong series 5 just sucked big time if it wasn't cancelled before series 5 then it should have been cancelled for it... I didn't want to see it cancelled I loved it worshipped it and series 4 finale was amazing... The only good thing on series 5 had to be "The Heart Of The Journey Part I" ending when Doyle said "Earth destruction in 5...4..3..." and it faded to black... That was amazing but series 5 prior to the last ever episode just made what was a classic programme unbearable. How could they do that to such wonderful programming?
  • I miss it!!

Andromeda was one of the nicest show on tv!! the visuels efect were fabulous! the cast too!! the universe of Roddenberry was at is best Again!! the ideas weres great and the script too! it's really sab than we've lost that great tv show!! plzz bring it back for us!
  • Underappreciated

When Gene Rodenberry creates a show I sit up and watch. When his wife Majel Rodenberry is co producer you just cant go wrong.

Andromeda's crew's charcters are beleivable, honorable but still dealing with their own past. All on a mission to restablish...Eden. Former glory, former peace.

We watch in the hope that this time a lasting peace can be regained. Andromeda, like the rest of us often use the wrong means for the right end. Why? Because its the only way we know how.

But the theme is always there that its better to try the wrong way than not try at all. Trance says it best that the method is not as powerful as the intent.

And Trance, the BEing of light. Gene you are a Gene-ious!
  • wached every episode with same interest every time apeared something new it was absolutely briliant al the 5 series kept me in front of the tv. Without doupt is the best show from its class very good work always introducing new elements that

• Season 1 And 2 are amazing, Season 3, 4 and 5 -not so much.

Season 1 of andromeda is fantastic. Great, Brilliant - Highly entertaining. A great cast and interesting story arc, along with fantastic characters and fun episodes - make Season 1 of Drom a truly fun show. Very enjoyable, from the tension between Dylan and Tyr to the gorgeous and allways charming Trance Gemini. Its kind of a shame that the show went south, as soon as Robert Hewitt Wolfe (The shows original creator) left during Season 2. After the writers changed (Due to pressure from the production studio) the show went south fast, and by the end of the third season, Andromeda had taken a tumble. It got worse through Season 4, And season 5 was just plain bad.

However, I still love season 1 and 2 of this VASTLY underated Sci-Fi show, And really do wish that Robert Hewwit Wolfe had stayed on bored. Over-all, Andromeda was a great show that unfortinatly went sour before its time. I dont much care what the haters think, But i find season 1 of Andromeda more entertaining than any season of Stargate.
  • The best show that i ever seen...absolutely superb good job....i seen all episodes from all the 5 series.

I wached every episode with same interest every time apeared something new it was absolutely briliant al the 5 series kept me in front of the tv. Without doupt is the best show from its class very good work always introducing new elements that kept the story going. I enjoyed every episode and i watch it again without regrets.
  • i'd personally like to see a sequal of some kind to this serie, it has a compling and interesting view on the way the world could work.

Trance and the knowlege she had made this entire series most interesting. throughout the serie you learn more and more about Dylan Hunt, what and how the Nietzscheans were created. Why Beka Valentine was destined to find the Andromeda Acended, and Tyr Anasazi bid for galatic control. and on the side Dylan got the Systems Commonwealth back together and had it grow greatly.
  • With every season my obsession with this show grew...

With every season my obsession with this show grew... the 5th season left me puzzled until I began rewatching it along with some past season episode and realized just how much of the show is tied together and that the things I didn't understand then make complete sense... as I laugh at the banter between these characters.

Maybe it is stupid to give this show a 10 but when people as me what my all time favorite shows are... I chalk it up to the ones I have to own which would be Andromeda, The Pretender, Stargate and Highlander. Those are my 10's and there's no getting around it.

The confusion I often felt with this show was annoying but I must say... it always left me wanting to see the next episode.

When I realized Tyr would be on very little in the 4th season I thought I'd cry until Telemachus Rhade appeared and sadly Tyr was but a memory (not really). What can you say about the Nietzscheans except they have to be perfect to look this good!
  • Great show up until the third season, but still I have a major obsession with it. I'd suggest watching this if only to make fun of Captain Hunt... because you get so many oppertunities.

Great show up until the third season, but still I have a major obsession with it. I'd suggest watching this if only to make fun of Captain Hunt... because you get so many oppertunities. The characters didn't really get developed well enough in my opinion. The episode plots would allow people to get sucked in then they would leave you with some sort of cliffhanger and then either; A) never mention it again, or B) leave it alone for a season and then mention it. During that time that they took a break from that plot it seems that their memories must have been erased because obviously that impending doom just on the edge of the horizon they faced last week is never mentioned again (unless it's like, three seasons later where viewers have trouble even remembering what they were talking about). The science is bad, the extras acting is worse, and the action scenes are too drawn out... I'd still recommend that everyone watches this show though, because although it has many flaws it also holds your attention (be it the hot actors or the many things you can laugh at).
  • One of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Granted, I only got as far as the beginning of the third season, but if sci-fi continues to show these day marathons, I'll be caught up in no time.

I hear that the last season was a total waste, but I'm not there yet. From where I did get though, this show is truly a gem. From the excellent characters, to the mysteries that a couple of them hold (I am thinking of Tyr and Trance specifically), to the action, the humor, the drama, the storylines! OH! The storylines are super! Well-written. Great acting!

I think my complaint is that Rev seemed to have disappeared. I know the reason because of what he did with the Magog, but -- whoa -- I wanna see that dude again!

But great, great series! You should buy the DVD seasons! That's what I plan to do at some point in time :-)
  • I only reason i was watshing this show, was that my other sci-fi shows was on a brake. and i did´t have anything to do. BUT

I only reason i was watshing this show, was that my other sci-fi shows was on a brake. and i did´t have anything to do. BUT i have to admit it was way betther than i expected. I think i finished all 5 seasons in about 7 or 8 days, i was glued to my monitor, ( good thing i did´t have to work that week. ) Now i only wish there was more of it. In my opinion the could have maked a season more.
    Bottom Line if you like sci-fi it´s worth your time, even if it a bit old.
  • 5 seasons wasn't long enough!!!

I used to watch Hercules, so I am a big Kevin Sorbo fan.
    I've seen almost every episode of Andromeda and am working on getting the whole collection on dvd.
    I couldn't believe that there was only five seasons of Andromeda. Talk about pulling a show before its time!
    The reason that I didn't give this show a 10 is mainly because I thought they spent too much time in the Seefra System. The show was only five seasons and the spent around two of them in the Seefra System. This is probably why the show didn't last any longer than it did.
    I think if they could have stayed on the air a little longer than we would have seen something new and different and maybe they would have stayed on the air a little longer.
  • Lots of fun and adventure.

This is an extremely campy and entertaining show. Dont watch it if you take things too seriously. Even with some bad writing near the end, the characters managed to grow. With exception to Tyr, the characters managed to escape the bad writing. Poor Tyr's character was destroyed in the beginning of season 4, but I just like to pretend that didnt happen. The characters are one of the shows strongest elements. Andromeda's crew is very eclectic. They all have their strengths that they contribute as crew members, and also as characters. They are also mostly pretty darn good to look at.

The show also has great adventures. The Magog world ship is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in sci-fi, and I cant believe the crew went in it and came out alive! Ok, of course I can imagine, because its Andromeda! Andromeda is pretty extreme, like Star Trek, in the amount of Alien races they meet and often ally themselves with. Its quite incredible to see so many different alien civilizations and ships. Anyway, its just lots of fun.

Be warned, although they knew the end was coming, and made what was supposed to be a conclusion as the finale, it really wasnt. I would call the finale a cliffhanger.
  • Thank heavens for DVDs. I never saw it on TV when it was airing and only started watching it by accident on the DVDs. Now I am hooked.

This show was not something that inspired me when I saw it airing on TV. I felt that Gene Roddenberry had sold out on some of the Star Trek things and had little interest in a show that was thought to be so lame that they had to put his name in the title to try to get people to watch it. Well, it was my error.

On DVD, I started to watch Season 1 one day when I was bored and the rental store was low on movies I wanted to see. After the first disc, I wanted more and I saw that I had been wrong in thinking the show not worth watching. The first and second seasons did well focusing on Capt. Dylan Hunt's fish out of water problem (he was Captain of one of the most powerful ships but caught in a black hole thus frozen for about 300 years while civilization fell apart) and his desire to restore the Commonwealth. The aliens were of the standard guy-in-a-mask type but the introduction of the Neizchenians was a good move. Their survival instinct and superiority complex helped make for interesting stories and having the ship be a character was a good move too. I thoroughly enjoyed Season 1 and 2 (though never really cared that much about Rev Bem, an alien "preacher") so do not miss him much. I am watching Season 3 right now and things have gone downhill in terms of the stories and writing. I hope it gets better and I have read that Seasons 4 and 5 do get better.
  • Star Trek TOS perfected

Majel Barrett Roddenberry took a project from her late husband's desk and turned it into "Andromeda," with the help of Robert Hewitt Wolfe, who later developed "The Dresden Files" TV series. The plot, backstory, and tech resolve many of the holes that the original Star Trek series was known for. On "Andromeda" there are no quasi-scientific phasers, just railguns and missiles; no force fields, just super-hard hulls. And no transporter. In one "Andromeda" episode the ship's AI (artificial intelligence) says sarcastically, about a crew member imprisoned on another ship: I could just dematerialize him and make him reappear here, if such things actually existed. And the backstory explains why the captain puts himself personally in harm's way so often -- something the captain of a large warship rarely does.

But the star of the show is the actress playing the title character. Lexa Doig plays both the warship's AI, seen as a hologram, and an android imbued with a version of that AI, called a "ship's avatar."

Why do so many say the show was great for the first three seasons (and then...)? One main reason was that Lexa Doig got married and pregnant with the first of two children about then. Her role was much reduced -- some appearances as the the AI, but not as the athletic, kung-fu kicking avatar, naturally.

Perhaps the only gain for her fans is that she may use her married name when she continues acting. "Doig" is about the rockiest name for an actress since "Zellweger," and as inappropriate in its way as "Bullock."

The other cause for the apparent change in quality was the departure of Wolfe due to "creative differences," or some such. However, this isn't that clear. What I much liked about the series was its exploration of different species, particularly villains. A human subspecies called "Nietzscheans" -- think of Ricardo Montalban's "Khan" from "The Wrath of Khan," multiplied into billions. A ravenous race embodying the worst attributes of any villain imaginable, called the Magog. Humanity itself ranking only second or third in capabilities in this federation -- called the "commonwealth." A species called Vedrans are acknowledged by all as superior.

And the warships are beautiful. And their names are fresh and thoughtful.

I'd rate the middle part of "Babylon 5" -- after Boxleitner's arrival -- ahead of Andromeda. B5 achieved a gritty, naturalistic tone. The current "Battlestar Galactica" takes that too far for my taste, into gruesomeness and nihilism. For me, "Firefly" and "Serenity" got it almost precisely right.

Both B5 and Andromeda for me slackened at the end when they got all cosmic and mystical. Of course, that's the same problem many had with "2001." Seems a vulnerability of sci-fi.

I'd thought Andromeda moved from first-rate space-opera to mysticism after Wolfe left. But Wolfe published a script online that shows he was fully on-board with the mystical stuff.

An earlier poster asked for comparisons with "Farscape." I only tried the first episode of "Farscape" on fancast. The video broke up, and I wasn't motivated to try later. Some similarities, perhaps. Castaway spaceman, going back to "Planet of the Apes" and well before.

But Andromeda's castaway is himself not of Earth. And he brings along his ferocious warship, and his AI. Makes all the difference. And the aliens aren't Muppets. Different flavor, different shows. "Farscape" looked like it had a sort of sword-and-sorcery quest type theme. "Andromeda" is far more Roddenberryesque.

Enjoy Andromeda for its excellent parts.
  • fantastic series in my top 10

story lines are great and allways seems to bring out feel good factor, lots of moral lessons and proverbs. was'nt to sure about the end when they attacked the world ship, and the series went planet side for to long in my mind, can understand being in a different reality, but every one new whom they were it was a good way of showing defeat and then being able to have a second chance at doing things different and being able to destroy the world ship, think they should have developed the inviduals more especially trance and harper. would love to see more series like this.
  • The systems commonweath has fallen. Captain hunt trapped in the event horizon of a black hole for 300 years emerges and set it as his lifes goal to restore the commonweath, and save the universe from the magog onslaught.

When this show first came out it was one of the best sci-fi shows on tv. The plot was strong the stroy that was being told was nothing short of epic. However this being said by the end of season 4 it was dificult to follow the increasingly pointless and dumb path the writers where taking the show. It started off being a semi-serious epic show, and ended being a corny show with rambling plots of which many never resolved by the end of the show. I watched the show for 5 years and the still don't know if the magog world ship was destroyed or what happened to any of the magog (the main enemy of the universe for the first 2-3 years of the show). What a tremdous waste of time. That being said the first 3 and maybe 4 seasons where so good that i still had to see it threw it's horrible 5th season. On the hole a very good show, just wasn't tied up very well.
  • Classic, Adventurous, Tense

I have been a long time fan of Gene Roddenberry. I had looked forward to this show when they first started advertising for it, and it never let me down. I absolutely love the characters, the strife, the annoyance that Dylan feels as he tries to push through the muck of the universe. The writing on this show was spectacular. It was a classic Roddenberry premise. They had adventurous times, and very tense situations, funny characters and evil ones, loving times and not so loving times. I think my favorite character was Trance Gemini, she started out so unassuming ... after she lost her tail ... POOF ... all the sudden she's formidable ... I loved it!!! Well done. I'm sorry it's over.
< 1 2 3