Andromeda

Syfy (ended 2005)

gabfan31

Andromeda Fan Reviews (78)

• help cant watch this

there is no show

• Why did I wait until 2012 to get into Andromeda?????????

First of all let me just say that I am as about as big a fan of Science Fiction as it gets. I can be just as self absorbed, over opinionated, and as well deluded as the next person when it comes to waxing lyrical. But really, there is no need. Andromeda gets such a bad rap, that I too fell foul of taking on board all the negativity surrounding it and never gave it a look until 2012, STUPID me. This show is really one of a kind, as long as you don't have any pre-conceptions and go into with an open mind. I love the Roddenberry Universe, and no one is telling me that Deep Space 9 is not the best show in any universal dimension. But in the parallel Roddenberry universe where things aren't quite as serious and deep, then Andromeda rules.

Mr. High Guard himself, Dylan Hunt, is no Sisko or Picard and definitely no Janeway. Although there is a bit of Tiberius about him, as Eddie Murphy would say "You gotta be a horny motherf***r to f***k a green bitch". Although he does lead an assortment of real cool ship mates in his quest to re-assemble the long dead commonwealth. It's all good but for me, Seamus Zelazny Harper played by Gordon Michael Woolvett, is an absolute Star. Also, Rommie would give Seven a good run for her money in the whole "resistance is futile" stakes. And without giving anything else away, the rest of the cast all fit in really well.

It may not be as cerebral as the Trek stuff, but has just as much right to its existence. I am coming up to the end of season four, and although it may not get to me in the same way as the final season of DS9. I have a feeling that the end of season five is going to be like saying goodbye to an old friend. I came to Andromeda after finishing BSG. In much the same way I was late onto BSG due to some things I read about the remake, again, stupid me. BSG is up there with DS9 for me, and it was great getting into Andromeda as a tonic for all the heavy emotional journey, yet brilliance of BSG.

Anyway, there I go doing the thing I said I would not, and mouthing off to the world like some film critic who thinks that his opinion is worth anything at all. Seriously though, Andromeda is really good fun. Just ignore all the negativity, ignore me and my opinion, and give it a chance, you will not be disappointed.
  • I really wanted to like this show but just a few things stopped me the need for decent acting three dimensional charcters coherent plots and in sci fi decent effects as well.

Dylan Hunt: The Legendary Journey’s.

I’m a big science fiction fan and will give every new show that comes along a try sometimes in the cases of Farscape and Battlestar Galactica, to name just two you discover that they’re just so good that you are immediately gripped and that you’ll buy the DVD box sets so you can watch every episode again and again even the episodes that aren’t that good. On the other hand, as in my case with Firefly i missed it on TV I saw it on DVD and it was worth taking the chance on a show i'd never seen before.

However back to the subject of Andromeda the opposite end from the shows i just mentioned, this show is a nothing more than a complete joke and gives television science fiction and indeed science fiction in general a bad name it has been poorly written and acted since the first episode and should never have lasted five episodes let alone five seasons. I started watching and I wanted to like it I really did it should have been easy coming from the mind of Gene Roddenberry brought to life by Robert Hewitt Wolfe and starring Kevin Sorbo who may not be the greatest actor in the world but he was very good in Hercules, so I tried to like it, I honestly did I watched every episode of the first season then about half the episodes of season 2 which is where everything began to go seriously wrong. Season one to me was pointless and not particularly great in the way it was written but it was at the least watchable ass a sort of lazy time passing substandard way. But Season 2 undermined what little effort had gone into it so I sat continually hoping that it would improve and show the full potential it had hinted at but it never did and after Sky changed the time it was on I just decided it wasn’t worth my time or effort trying to keep up with. In my opinion it suffered from a case of too many cooks so it has had no sense of direction and any arcs it tried to create were immediately junked when someone new came in and they tried to imprint their own ideas. When Robert Hewitt Wolfe was at the helm it was poor but there were glimpses small ones only but glimpses anyhow that it could improve but then he was fired for seemingly trying to make a decent Sci-Fi show. From then on it was downhill becoming a messy flashy thing where effects were the best thing about it and most of them were rough and looked to computer animated giving an already unrealistic and stupid show one more reason for people to hate it while story and acting took a back seat with Kevin Sorbo basically rehashing Hercules and the rest of the cast standing in the background getting to spout the occasional line of meaningless dialogue, it’s no wonder Keith Hamilton Cobb left as soon as his contract expired he’d spent his last two years on the show reduced to standing in the background looking mean and having about two episodes showcasing his character now I’m not saying he’s a brilliant actor but he was good enough to bring Tyr Anazazi the Nieztechien warrior to life and make him an interesting character even if only he’d been allowed.

The characterisations were paper-thin and with the exception of Dylan Hunt and Harper badly acted not that I think Gordon Michael Woolvet is exactly a great actor either but he could do the comedy stuff he was given and deliver it well even if it was hardly ever as funny as the writers wanted it to be, but now I see him as a poor imitation of Firefly’s Wash even though Harper came first a statement that on the face of it makes as much sense as the average episode, Lisa Ryder as Beka on the other hand was especially bad wearing the same expressionless face for whatever her character was meant to be feeling, she is a bad actress and here’s hoping she never darkens the door of either Stargate show and especially not Battlestar Galactica. But the worst acted and most annoyingly pointless character was Laura Bertram as Trance Gemini from the start she was annoying where she was meant to be cute and friendly irritating where she was supposed to be mysterious and the viewers were supposed to care what her secrets were, a lethal combination of a bad actress and dozens of mediocre to just down right bad writers meant she just made the character come across as smug making you want to throw something at the screen when she was on and yell at Dylan to toss her out of an airlock. Ditto for hopes never to see her ruining SG or BSG

As for Dylan Hunt he was the ultimate moronic cardboard hero never wrong always did the right thing and was sanctimonious from the outset. I’d tuned in every now and then during seasons 3, 4 and 5 to see if things had gotten better to discover they hadn’t they’d gotten worse and now Dylan had become even more indestructible and annoyingly smug and superior and now didn’t let any other character get even the most simple thing to do he just hogged the screen time solving every tedious problem that faced him by beating up the bad guys or shooting them with that stupid laser stick of his no doubt as a result of Sorbo becoming an executive producer. As for Bacic and the other blonde who cares what her name is not as bad as bottle blonde No.1 Ryder but not hard to tell she’s ex Baywatch they came in and were just as average as I’d come to expect from this show. As for the final episodes The Heart of the Journey Part’s 1 & 2 the first part seemed like it might at least take the series out with some kind of a bang with Harper and Rhade looking like they’d left the crew for good then a tense and even unexpected ending to part 1 with the destruction of Earth but it was ruined in part 2 yes Earth was destroyed but it had never seemed like it mattered to much during the run so blowing it up had little impact and the ending was lame and not even a good ending if it had just been a season finale but this was the last ever episode and what do we get everyone looking like they’re about to die the Andromeda against over two thousand ships and it survives then they fly into the square thing and everything is alright and everyone survives man what a complete and utter cop out I mean it’s the final episode what would have been wrong with killing off at least one of the crew I mean if I had have had the bad luck to have had anything to do with this shambles I would have at least taken the opportunity to knock off the supremely annoying Trance but no she gets to live. At the top I called this Dylan Hunt the Legendary Journey’s in reference obviously to Hercules Sorbo’s last show, but that is insulting at least Hercules was entertaining even when the acting did sometimes leave a lot to be desired and the stories were just silly this show was just a complete waste of time and how on earth this lasted longer than Farscape or Firefly I will never understand and think about it this pile of garbage lasted as long as and for as many episodes as Angel and even Babylon 5 for crying out loud it just makes no sense to me. As for the quotes that appeared at the start of each episode and the episode titles what were they all about, I assume they were supposed to bring some deep meaningful insight to the story but they never did they were just more meaningless words. Then there’s they opening credit speech voiced with the exception of season 2 by Sorbo as Capt Hunt as each season passed they became ever more ridiculous, they had neither the meaning nor the simplicity of the Space the final frontier speeches of the original Star Trek or the ST: TNG.

I can’t ever imagine this is the show Gene Roddenberry wanted made from his original ideas but it was and will forever be linked with his name and that is a shame. Finally I read here on tv.com a reviewer, who said in their piece that this show was from the start darker than Farscape that person is seriously, seriously wrong and makes me wonder if had you ever actually seen it cos from where I sat the two are not even in the same league, when Farscape was dark characters were tortured or killed or sacrificed themselves like Zhaan or Crais, on Andromeda bad guys said horrible things to them and laughed before getting soundly thrashed by Captain Indestructible, darker than Farscape my ass. I hate this show I hate the design of the ship it’s big and ugly I hated the shallow one dimensional characters it is in my opinion a show that wouldn't even hold the attention of a 5 year old that anyone could enjoy it mystifies me that anyone could regard it as good well written well acted or in anyway anything other than worthless trash is astounding. As a fan of Sci Fi I hate this show so much. I really, really hate this show.
  • Robert Hewitt Wolfe took his ball and went home, and everyone else tried to keep on playing with a brick. Injuries ensue.

Andromeda makes me very, very sad, when I think about where this series might have gone.

The show did fairly well in its first season, and with good reason. The show was new and interesting, with a well-matched set of characters and an intriguing universe for them to play in. This continued a little bit into the second season.

Then Robert Hewitt Wolfe, the man at the reins who developed the show from Roddenberry's original ideas, had to leave.

From that point on, Andromeda went to hell.

The show became more episodic. Characters became trivial and one-dimensional. Insight was abandoned in favor of traditional action. Dylan Hunt gets a girl-of-the-week. The show came to DEFINE the term "faceless baddies". Any semblance of depth in the series vanished in a puff of smoke. We were left with the Kevin Sorbo Space Cowboy Hour. Heck, even Keith Hamilton Cobb stepped out. (EDIT: Further information reveals that Cobb's initial contract was only for three seasons anyway, so this point no longer applies.) But he came back just long enough to finish the physical and metaphorical assassination of his character.

When the reformation of the Commonwealth, the event that motivates the entire series from its outset, occurs with barely a flaccid whimper and hardly a lick of excitement, you know you've fallen, hard. And when the motivation for the series after that point is "The universe is dangerous! We have a ship!"...

...Yeah. Oh, what might have been.

(EDIT: Recently, Robert Hewitt Wolfe posted a short one-act play called "Andromeda: Coda" on his website. The play is a short exchange between Harper and Trance that serves to summarize where Wolfe was going with the story before his involvement with the show ended. It can be found at http://www.rhwolfe.com/Insider%20Info.htm .)
  • An interesting concept poorly executed?

4.4
    This show was conceptualised by the late Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek, it was initially supposed to be the Federation that had fallen into collapse, not "The Commonwealth" and could have been a very interesting series if it had been taken in this direction.

However, it was decided to be made into a completely new universe with the commonwealth replacing the federation and Kevin "Hercules" Sorbo cast as the captain. The moment you saw that name you realised it would be more action and less thinking and to me that more or less killed the series.

It had the potential to be so much more, a new generation of Star Trek with amazingly deep and well rounded characters like in The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager!

Instead we were first treated to a mildly entertaining action fest with one dimensional characters trying to rebuild the commonwealth (by beating up aliens it would seem) and fight off the magog and their ultimate weapon but eventually it just degenerated into something even more mindless at which point I stopped watching.

It makes me sad to see that a concept with so much potential just turned into this.
  • Hercules: The legendary journeys - In Space!

6.7
    Kevin Sorbo does it again. He start the main character in a decent show that is best watched with not too high expectations but tends to send some surprising moments your way. The story is easily summarized: Dylan Hunt, captain of a large warship is frozen in time for about 300 years and wakes up to see everything he stood for, loved and cared about has gone down the drain. He then tries to reform the universe to his commonwealth. With his allround talent and shiny-knight-in-armor good-doing and a talking space ship (Knight Rider lives again!) he's travelling the galaxy in search for support of his dream on resurrecting the commonwealth.
    I mostly watch the show for the supporting characters, I have had enought of Kevin Sorbo already on that Hercules show.

Edit: Shows has jumed the shark in the 3rd season already. Seems like Majel Roddenberry is easily able to screw up her husband's ideas.

Edit2: The show is dead and gone. Nothing good is happening after the 2nd season. I swear no never again watch another series starring Kevin Sorbo and/or being made by Roddenberry's widow. Ever.

Overall rating:
    Season 1&2: 8.5
    Season 3: 6.7
    Season 4: 5.3
    Sesaon 5: 4.2
  • Star Trek TOS perfected

Majel Barrett Roddenberry took a project from her late husband's desk and turned it into "Andromeda," with the help of Robert Hewitt Wolfe, who later developed "The Dresden Files" TV series. The plot, backstory, and tech resolve many of the holes that the original Star Trek series was known for. On "Andromeda" there are no quasi-scientific phasers, just railguns and missiles; no force fields, just super-hard hulls. And no transporter. In one "Andromeda" episode the ship's AI (artificial intelligence) says sarcastically, about a crew member imprisoned on another ship: I could just dematerialize him and make him reappear here, if such things actually existed. And the backstory explains why the captain puts himself personally in harm's way so often -- something the captain of a large warship rarely does.

But the star of the show is the actress playing the title character. Lexa Doig plays both the warship's AI, seen as a hologram, and an android imbued with a version of that AI, called a "ship's avatar."

Why do so many say the show was great for the first three seasons (and then...)? One main reason was that Lexa Doig got married and pregnant with the first of two children about then. Her role was much reduced -- some appearances as the the AI, but not as the athletic, kung-fu kicking avatar, naturally.

Perhaps the only gain for her fans is that she may use her married name when she continues acting. "Doig" is about the rockiest name for an actress since "Zellweger," and as inappropriate in its way as "Bullock."

The other cause for the apparent change in quality was the departure of Wolfe due to "creative differences," or some such. However, this isn't that clear. What I much liked about the series was its exploration of different species, particularly villains. A human subspecies called "Nietzscheans" -- think of Ricardo Montalban's "Khan" from "The Wrath of Khan," multiplied into billions. A ravenous race embodying the worst attributes of any villain imaginable, called the Magog. Humanity itself ranking only second or third in capabilities in this federation -- called the "commonwealth." A species called Vedrans are acknowledged by all as superior.

And the warships are beautiful. And their names are fresh and thoughtful.

I'd rate the middle part of "Babylon 5" -- after Boxleitner's arrival -- ahead of Andromeda. B5 achieved a gritty, naturalistic tone. The current "Battlestar Galactica" takes that too far for my taste, into gruesomeness and nihilism. For me, "Firefly" and "Serenity" got it almost precisely right.

Both B5 and Andromeda for me slackened at the end when they got all cosmic and mystical. Of course, that's the same problem many had with "2001." Seems a vulnerability of sci-fi.

I'd thought Andromeda moved from first-rate space-opera to mysticism after Wolfe left. But Wolfe published a script online that shows he was fully on-board with the mystical stuff.

An earlier poster asked for comparisons with "Farscape." I only tried the first episode of "Farscape" on fancast. The video broke up, and I wasn't motivated to try later. Some similarities, perhaps. Castaway spaceman, going back to "Planet of the Apes" and well before.

But Andromeda's castaway is himself not of Earth. And he brings along his ferocious warship, and his AI. Makes all the difference. And the aliens aren't Muppets. Different flavor, different shows. "Farscape" looked like it had a sort of sword-and-sorcery quest type theme. "Andromeda" is far more Roddenberryesque.

Enjoy Andromeda for its excellent parts.
  • Andromeda gave me the first impression of a show trying too hard to be cute and having an aire of silliness. Once I finally watched several episodes in order and grasped the story arc, instead of silliness I found accessability and a fun show to watch.

I have to admit thinking that Andromeda was a bit weak after watching a few episodes in that first season. I don't know what exactly turned me off the show back then. Maybe it was the purple Trance and her tail or Rev's philosophical quotes but in any event I didn't give it much of a chance while the show was still being filmed. During the 2007 writers strike I was starved for something interesting and started watching the show on DVD. Maybe not having to wait a week for each episode made all the difference but now I find the show very entertaining and in the space of 8 months I have gone through 4 seasons or 88 episodes. I am now starting the 5th season and I find myself disappointed, knowing that the series ends here. Andromeda, a series I originally found a bit silly, has captured my interest because of a cast thats greatness lies in thier ability to make the audience feel as though they are part of the gamg. The series isn't perfect and has it's share of problems, but it's core cast have always been able to create that sense of family that draws the audience in and wanting more. It's just too bad that there can't always be more.

EB
  • Andromeda was special

There is something spiritual about Andromeda. It took me on a journey that allowed me to belive in the greatness of people and that perhaps we are not alone but just ignorant to what's out there. At the end of the fourth season, i found myself quiet sad and could relate to dillians sadness. He worked so hard to re-create the commenwealth, it was kind of sad for me to see him stuck on some god aweful place, where becka was greedy and trance was not herself. What happened to the friendship they all had. The fourth season was my last season, that was the end of the show for me. The 5th season was simply a bonus but the story arc was frustrating sometimes. It was nice at the end to see dillian reach his goal but i wanted more, even if it was just another episode to see what they they would set in montion with this new found peace.
  • I love this show...

The great thing about Andromeda was that instead of being extreamly serious and scientificly correct it was quite lax. I love shows that star people from other shows that can make fun of the shows they had stared in, and were quick to make jokes about the show they were currently in. The first 3 seasons were great, and I enjoyed the return of Steve Bacic as Telemechus Rhade in season four. Season five was alright, though it could be kind of confusing in a few episodes. Everything ended fairly well which made up for the strangeness of the last season. All in all a very good show that I would recommend to any Sci-Fi fan.
  • Captain Hunt and the Commonwealth

Nice characters and nice soil to grow an incredible series but the relation between cause and effect is lame and stupid, the storytelling by the image and the dialogs is not connecting with the core of the story and there is a divorce between the strength of the premise and the center of the stories. Andromeda has a cast of six characters, all of them individually different. The Nietzscheans were great bad guys as well, particularly the Drago-Kazov pride. It was cool and refreshing to see humans as the main villains of a sci-fi series. There are many episodes where you have to watch several times to understand them.
  • Andromeda was a great show. I start watching few years ago when I was searching for new shows to watch.

Andromeda was a great show. I start watching few years ago when I was searching for new shows to watch. I read about it here and it it was a pretty good ideea and it was an original one. First 3 seasons were great, the 4th seasons is pretty good too but I didn't like season 5 at all. It was Andromeda without Andromeda and I didn't quite like it. Another reason I start watching the show was because of the quotes from the begining, then I also start to like the caracters. I didn't like the way they travel through space, the slipstream, It's not quite realistic.
  • I only reason i was watshing this show, was that my other sci-fi shows was on a brake. and i did´t have anything to do. BUT

I only reason i was watshing this show, was that my other sci-fi shows was on a brake. and i did´t have anything to do. BUT i have to admit it was way betther than i expected. I think i finished all 5 seasons in about 7 or 8 days, i was glued to my monitor, ( good thing i did´t have to work that week. ) Now i only wish there was more of it. In my opinion the could have maked a season more.
    Bottom Line if you like sci-fi it´s worth your time, even if it a bit old.
  • Andromeda is for those who like StarTrek the original series.

7.9
    There are a lot of good and bad commentaries on Andromeda. That seems fitting, everyone likes different things.

For me, Andromeda is the type of show I wished had gotten better funding and had a chance to follow its arc with better precision. Some found season 4 the best, I found it the worst, in character development, plot and even writing. True, the CGI was better, but that never ever makes up for bad plots or writing in my book...without a good story, everything sucks. You can forgive a lot of bad makeup or silly sets, when you have great writing and characters. Those who are fans of Dr. Who or Blake's Seven or even Red Dwarf would understand. In fact, those who are fans of the original StarTrek, the one about ethical issues mixed with characters in an adventure setting, will understand.

I think Andromeda was truer to the old Star Trek than anything since ST's time. In fact, I'm one of those who was tremendously disappointed with Next Generation and all its spin offs, except for the 1st season of Enterprise and the last season (NOT including the stupid cliché season finale.) The first couple seasons of Farscape were good, then it got overly dark and cliché, same with Babylon 5, except there I put the blame squarely on JMS.

I even found that with Andromeda's faults, the characters grew on you (but not necessarily if you didn't see the series from the beginning... because the backstory was so important to each and every episode...building on the other to some extent.) Even story lines I've heard others say had no meaning, or too tangential, were often fun and I, personally, did see connections with the arc...whether the Abyss is attacking through the WorldShip or through influencing another universe to attack through a vortex, it is the same arc...just adding complexity. In fact, this show's arc was exceptionally complex and intertwined, in mini-arcs, character development, subplots, everything...it even was asking questions that are not PC, like mixing God and Demon, good and evil, multi-universes, Promethean like beings giving fire to mortals yet possibly being condemned as demons...god like entities that seek destruction as a way to harmony, hating life, because life is complex and chaotic and full of suffering...even the idea that an philosophy generated in our time (Nietzche) could end up causing a new kind of bigotry and genocide between human variants in the future. Nazism, Stalinism, human control, slavery...a great writer once said that basic human stories never changed, just the people and the variations in how the tale is told.

It's a lot to spin into a tale and I preferred those stories, whether it be as simple and fun as Fear and Loathing in the Milky Way to as complex as the idea of an entity developing that hates life, not in the cliché villain way, but because it wants an end to chaos and sees nothingness as harmony. You can do adventure and fun and still ask serious questions, more often you expect that from good science fiction writing, usually getting that from books...it's hard to do a TV/film show that can get those issues in because of the great complexity and the likelihood you will offend someone...and even more sadly it seems lately, it's harder getting viewers that appreciate it rather than those that seem to want just CGI, creepy costumes and boring, wooden scientific speaking characters.

I also simply like the series because the characters don't walk around like valium-drugged-into-calmness zombies (Next Generation, et al) nor do they all speak techno-babble or all act like scientists. Here, the way is pretty much the way you'd expect people in the future to be...they don't speak about technologists or scientists, they simply accept the tech as normal and concentrate on normal daily activities..and reacting to odd things the way we might with "OK, this is weird..." or "I'm not a science ship, I'm a warship. I'm good at blowing things up." The humor is often because they are acting the way you or I might act, not calmly, with normal speech and with normal human-alien reactions.

Things I miss: tying things together better, like the connections between the Vortex warriors as a different front of attack than the Magog, the tesselation/phaseshifting hunters that came after Harper twice and were suddenly never seen again, the idea that genius brains were being stolen and that they were also tied in with the Engine of Creation thread being dropped, the Angels bell thread, the other avators like Trance suddenly not showing up anymore with conflicting ways of dealing with the Abyss, and so on.

I know season 4 and 5 could have been a lot better...4 if they had done some better writing and more consistently even at the loss of some special effects and dropped the paradigm stupidity...and 5 if they had more money, so didn't spend every show in Sefra...the stories seemed a bit better and consistent, I think, but the scenery and situation just stayed depressing/boring...without the general fun and humor that had kept the characters from killing each other.

And yes, I think the science on Andromeda was better thought out than on other shows, and the timeline/history...with the exception of how to rescue a ship caught on the event horizon of a black hole of course... but hey, no show is perfect on tech. It would be too boring if it were.

Anyway, my two cents...
  • not the greatest sci-fi show, but one of the better ones.

Hmm andromeda, what to say, what to say...
    It's been a really long time since I last saw that show, since it isn't aired anymore on any channel I recieve where I live.
    But as far as I remember it's a pretty decent show. The whole idea of the captain trying to rebuild the great and ancient commonwealth after it's been dead for a very long time is pretty original and leads to a pretty good storyline.
    The characters are not very deep and don't really evolve during the show, but that is compensated by some really funny moments and cool battles with decent special effects.
  • Among a plethora of other spaceship-based sci-fi shows, Andromeda doesn't do anything much different.

There as a time when I was watching a lot of scifi shows together, some on dvd, some on my computer. Farscape is an all-time favorite, then there's Babylon 5, and of course Andromeda. To be quite honest, apart from Kevin Sorbo's great acting (well, I guess he's okay...), Andromeda doesn't do anything inventive in the way of storyline. The one slight difference is that unlike Farscape, Sorbo and his crew work for the "alliance" for once. The show could have been better, but I guess it has a lot to live up to. A must watch for new scifi fans, but an obvious miss for veterans of the genre.
  • First season and part of second season good - downhill from there.

The first and 1/2 of the second season were great, you really felt that there was an epic tale to be told (although there is a gap between the shaky formation of an alliance at the end of the first season and a full-blown civilisation at the start of the second).

From there, it goes downhill, descending into ridiculous action in an obvious ploy to gain ratings. Some episodes are really good, most are bad - leading to the departure of Tyr. He is replaced by Telemachus Rhade, a worthy replacement. It is a shame that the two could not meet in more onscreen encounters; it would have been interesting to see the two characters play off each other.

The end of the fourth season sums the show up; it tries to be mysterious, but ends up so bad you can't even laugh, you can only cringe. The fifth season has only one redeeming factor; it shows the acting talent of Steve Bacic, as his character is extremely different to how he was in previous seasons.

Overall, the first season or so would have gained a much higher rating, but it was brought down by the last few seasons. Great concept though.
  • Lots of fun and adventure.

This is an extremely campy and entertaining show. Dont watch it if you take things too seriously. Even with some bad writing near the end, the characters managed to grow. With exception to Tyr, the characters managed to escape the bad writing. Poor Tyr's character was destroyed in the beginning of season 4, but I just like to pretend that didnt happen. The characters are one of the shows strongest elements. Andromeda's crew is very eclectic. They all have their strengths that they contribute as crew members, and also as characters. They are also mostly pretty darn good to look at.

The show also has great adventures. The Magog world ship is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in sci-fi, and I cant believe the crew went in it and came out alive! Ok, of course I can imagine, because its Andromeda! Andromeda is pretty extreme, like Star Trek, in the amount of Alien races they meet and often ally themselves with. Its quite incredible to see so many different alien civilizations and ships. Anyway, its just lots of fun.

Be warned, although they knew the end was coming, and made what was supposed to be a conclusion as the finale, it really wasnt. I would call the finale a cliffhanger.
  • fantastic series in my top 10

story lines are great and allways seems to bring out feel good factor, lots of moral lessons and proverbs. was'nt to sure about the end when they attacked the world ship, and the series went planet side for to long in my mind, can understand being in a different reality, but every one new whom they were it was a good way of showing defeat and then being able to have a second chance at doing things different and being able to destroy the world ship, think they should have developed the inviduals more especially trance and harper. would love to see more series like this.
  • A show that changed it's tone too often to be seriously appreciated as a Sci-Fi classic

6.7
    Andromeda starts off pretty good to be honest, I thoroughly enjoyed the first season and some of the second - then it just goes horribly wrong. After building some great tensions with the impending arrival of the Magog World ship, the story descends into mediocrity - telling "Star Trek-type" stories badly. There are plenty of good moment throughout the end of S2, S3 and particularly during S4, with the saving grace of this show being it's strong cast and characters - but the show never really find's it footing again. Season 5 is pretty much a waste of time, telling a convuluted plotline based primarily on the Seefra planet surface. As mentioned, the cast really are the best thing about Andromeda - they impressed me throughout, although I did prefer things befoe it became the "Kevin Sorbo" show during some of it's final years - as an ensemble cast it worked really well. If I were to choose some standout moments, it would probably be the Season 1 finale "It's hour come round at last...", "All Too Human", "Into the Labyrinth", "OUROBOROS", and "The Dissonant Interval". Overall, an ok show - but probably the least impressive Roddenberry concept imo. However, I do wonder if my appreciation for this show, which is at worst a very fun show, will grow through time...
  • zbilja dobra serija absolutely magnificient

one of the best sci-fi series i ever watched.
    It's different than(completely)Star Trek so i love it beecause pretty much enery tv show that exist and is located in space uses warp and andromeda uses hyper space and finaly because of the popularity of andromeda(adleast in Europe)they make series ,games with hyper space(example Ogame(that is a game if someone doesn't know))
  • The Andromeda fights to save the galaxy!

It was a stange show unlike any other sci-fi i've seen and Herc in space was one of the best aspects of the show,

Kevin Sorbo is my second idol next to Kiefer Sutherland(24) the writting was good the episodes on the other hand where hard to follow ala season five.

The episodes with Dylan Hunt's wife(Sam Sorbo) where wonderfull.

Just a good new season and there where a few guest stars i notced via the DVD's.

Cris Judge: SG1

Michale Shanks: SG1

John De'Lance: Star Trek

Michale Hugan: BSG Re - Make.

Hence good season all out actin from start to end.
  • seems to have recieved a lot of bad press but i think it's awsome

At times it may be corny, cheesy, and overacted but despite all this it remains a great show with good writing and more often than not original story lines. the concept of the high guard oficer been released from a 300 year suspension, discovering that everything he once stood for and believed in and every one he onced was loved gone sounds rediculous on paper but works onscreen. i have to say taht my favorite part of the whole show was the idea of the Nietzscheans. they are so interesting with there strict code of behavior and pre-evolutionary, predatory view piont, not to mention there seemingly unending relation with ancient earth mythology and history. i was disapointed by the way the show ended, i thought that it was a good episode but it should have gone on for another series or brought out a movie so that we could have the opertunity to see how they were living in the newly renewed commonwealth that they had fought so hard for. bt regardless long live the commonwealth!
  • I'm so glad this show is back on the sci-fi channel

In the third season, Dylan and the crew travel from world to world as instructed by the Triumvirate, the leaders of the Commonwealth. But everything is building to the moment from one of his crew will betray him.

The fourth year deals with the corruption of the Commonwealth after the recent betrayal. Things become more intense as the Andromeda is expelled from the Commonwealth, Trance reveals her true form, Harper holds a weapon capable of destroying the Commonwealth, Beka becomes possessed by the Spirit of the Abyss, and a new crew member joins. But the Magog Worldship is nearing, and the final confrontation is to protect a Utopian society from it.
  • Another semi-precious sci-fi gem from the mind of Gene Roddenberry. Starring Hercules. Hee.

7.9
    Now, I love science-fiction; love to read it, love to watch it. And, child of the seventies, I love Gene Roddenberry's take on "the world out there". Andromeda was an very interesting concept: some time in the very far-off future, The New World Order is in place, and there is a spaceship, a spaceship captained by Dylan Hunt, manned by humans, aliens, androids, and artificial intelligences with human avatars. And there's a civil war being fought between one group of humanoids and another genetically, though not necessarily ethically, superior group (the Nietzscheans). And amidst all this war, there's some mutiny going on within our primary space ship (goes by the name Andromeda). Before there is resolution to this, our Andromeda gets 'stuck' in time. So, when next we see the Andromeda, its 300 years later, she's been boarded by some mercenary salvagers, headed up by Beka Valentine, looking for loot, and the keys to the ship. They find a freshly-out-of-stasis Captain Hunt, and the ship's AI, who have no idea that centuries have passed, the government (The Commonwealth) they once served no longer exists—and everyone else is long gone!

With minor struggles as to who's the boss, Hunt, Valentine and her crew join forces to travel the universe to try to restore the peace, government and unity. And that's where the fun begins.

With a good cast of supporting characters (the ship's super-hero AI, nicknamed 'Rommie'; Tyr Anasazi, a Nietzschean with lots of subtle layers and delusions of grandeur; an earth-born super-techie, Seamus Harper; a spiritually evolved member of a species that terrorized the known universe [by ripping folks apart, then laying their eggs in people—yikes!], Rev Bem; and an initially purple then sun-golden yellow being with a kittykat tail, Trance Gemini, who may be a Goddess or something.) this show piqued my interest for several seasons and I only fell out of love during the season they made Tyr a completely ridiculous megalomaniac, replete with the "Bwahaha!" laugh. Altogether, a pretty good sci-fi show.
  • An awesome show

Dylan Hunt, captain of the starship Andromeda, was frozen in time and awoke three centuries later to find the Commonweath had fallen. To fight back the chaos among the stars, Hunt must use the Andromeda to restore the Commonwealth and bring unity to the galaxy once again. He recruits a mercenary, Tyr Anasazi, and the crew of the Eureka Maru: Captain Beka Valentine, Engineer Seamus Harper, Physicist Rev Bem, and Medical Officer Trance Gemini. After discovering the Spirit of the Abyss and its powerful weapon, the Magog Worldship, the need for the Commonwealth is greater than ever. 50 member worlds are finally recruited, and the reconstruction of the Commonwealth is finally truly underway. More and more worlds sign on, contributing their fleets to protect each other.
  • brutal!!

1.2
    I am half way through season 2, but already I find myself having to restrain myself from fast forwarding through the minutia of bad writing,characters, and plot lines in this show. I was hoping it would be like Star trek enterprise, which started poorly, but really revived itself by the end of the first season and took off in season two, but, alas there is no saving this show. The only reason I keep watching, is like a bad book, you have already invested your time, you must continue to the painful end, even though you might have to skip some pages along the way. The storyline at the beginning had some promise, the fall of a great alliance, an ancient hero returns to bring back its glory. The problem, is that there is little progress in achieving the ultimate goal. The story is beset by lack of imagination from the writers, to capture the viewers attention from week to week with a coherent story line. The characters are a joke and those that have potential are marginalized. Captain dylan hunt, is as soft as cotton candy. While, he is willing to listen and negotiate with his enemies, he often treats his crew with contempt, especially the only worthy character on the show Tyr Anssainnse. The captain, is unwilling to make unpopular decisions. One of the worst characters is an annoying creature known as trance. Her actually purpose, on the ship I am still trying to decipher. Except, making cryptic statements and acting like a sorority girl who's had to many drinks at a date party. I do like the engineer harper, he is entertaining and adds some comic relief which this show sorely is in need. Lt. valentine, the second in command is abrasive,witless, and lacks acting talent. Then there is the reverend, which is a disturbing character. Not only, is he so ugly, you cannot eat a meal while watching this show, his race is the main enemy of hunt's alliance. These, monsters, they scourge of the universe are called magog. How they are a worthy enemy I am baffled, they don't use weapons, they seem utterly unintelligent. They are ewoks, with a bad hair day. I still have three more seasons to go, but I am not hopeful.
  • Hercules in space....

Hey.. I know.. this is the show which I learned that Kevin Sorbo can't act. But, this show is kinda like Buffy for me, where the supporting cast makes up for the lead. Especially when they had Tyr, in the first 4 seasons. He was interesting as a character, as well as Harper.. (think Iolaus with tech).. and the rest of the gang.

Anyways, like I said, the show was cool, but.. season 5.. woah.. so bad.. the ending.. so bad.. and I heard this was an executive decision.. 5 seasons .. made our money, let's go.. I wasn't too thrilled as a regular watching the show about how they ended the show, we kinda got short-changed I think.

Oh well.
  • an awesome Sci-Fi show

I remember when this was on and my dad and I would watch it together. Sci-Fi should bring this show back on the air like they did last year but that was only for like a month and I couldn't watch it because I was so busy. The Commonwealth spanned three galaxies and a myriad of cultures. Dylan Hunt, captain of the starship Andromeda, was frozen in time and awoke three centuries later to find the Commonweath had fallen. To fight back the chaos among the stars, Hunt must use the Andromeda to restore the Commonwealth and bring unity to the galaxy once again. He recruits a mercenary, Tyr Anasazi, and the crew of the Eureka Maru: Captain Beka Valentine, Engineer Seamus Harper, Physicist Rev Bem, and Medical Officer Trance Gemini.
  • The systems commonweath has fallen. Captain hunt trapped in the event horizon of a black hole for 300 years emerges and set it as his lifes goal to restore the commonweath, and save the universe from the magog onslaught.

When this show first came out it was one of the best sci-fi shows on tv. The plot was strong the stroy that was being told was nothing short of epic. However this being said by the end of season 4 it was dificult to follow the increasingly pointless and dumb path the writers where taking the show. It started off being a semi-serious epic show, and ended being a corny show with rambling plots of which many never resolved by the end of the show. I watched the show for 5 years and the still don't know if the magog world ship was destroyed or what happened to any of the magog (the main enemy of the universe for the first 2-3 years of the show). What a tremdous waste of time. That being said the first 3 and maybe 4 seasons where so good that i still had to see it threw it's horrible 5th season. On the hole a very good show, just wasn't tied up very well.
< 1 2 3