Syfy (ended 2005)

Andromeda Fan Reviews (78)

• For a sci-fi this one is good

i love this show so haven seen the negative reviews on this site, i thought i should do a postive review.

The one thing i love about this show is 'romie', not not is she the ship computer, she's also an android which makes her brillant. she attractive and yet quite a skilled battleship person, some of her hand-to-hanf combat and shooting is impressive to say the least. i mean she brillant and very attractive.

but there is some good-storylines like Dylan hunt caught in black-hole 300 years and survived his mission to bring commonwealth but during episoide 1 & 2 the ship get hi-jacked however they become the new crew of Andromeda, so let discuss them

Becka- she a talent ship pilot and generally fly the andromeda. Also she know how fight and keep clam under pressure.

Tye- his the muscles on the ship and quite stong person, you could say his kinda like tactical officer on the ship however in recent season he kinda of a one-man mission after finding hiding his son.

Trance- she amazing she predict the future well she swap places with her old-self in season 3 and it's strange not seeing her in pink skin but i guss that actress got fed up wearing pink, i don't blame her.

Harper- He's kind of the inventor on the ship, he made Android 'Romie' and he kinda love her which is strange she know that , she loves teasing him about that. He's basically the nerd of the ship.

As you can see we have well-balanced crew. need i say more.

• I think the Andromeda Series are very good with the exception of the 5th season that was very confusing and very slow in action, but for the ones that watched it from the beginning like me it was a fine show.

I think the Andromeda Series are very good with the exception of the 5th season that was very confusing and very slow in action, but for the ones that watched it from the beginning like me it was a fine show. I wasn´t expecting nothing like the 5th season in fact since the first season to the 4th i my oppinion was ascending when the 5th arrives it went down the drain.
    And Tyr Anastasi where did he go? if died was a lousy disposal of a caracther vital to the series, Doyle what is she doin there? The caracther is well performed by the actress but i don´t see the need for another android, and the destruction of Earth in last episode was completely of the chart cmon it´s EARTH.
  • With every season my obsession with this show grew...

With every season my obsession with this show grew... the 5th season left me puzzled until I began rewatching it along with some past season episode and realized just how much of the show is tied together and that the things I didn't understand then make complete sense... as I laugh at the banter between these characters.

Maybe it is stupid to give this show a 10 but when people as me what my all time favorite shows are... I chalk it up to the ones I have to own which would be Andromeda, The Pretender, Stargate and Highlander. Those are my 10's and there's no getting around it.

The confusion I often felt with this show was annoying but I must say... it always left me wanting to see the next episode.

When I realized Tyr would be on very little in the 4th season I thought I'd cry until Telemachus Rhade appeared and sadly Tyr was but a memory (not really). What can you say about the Nietzscheans except they have to be perfect to look this good!
  • A show that had much promise till....

The first season and most of the second season were great. For a show plagued by loss of writing staff on several occasions it did quitre well. However as a whole it is quite jumbled. It seems as though each staff change brought a change in tone feel and overall storyline. I feel as though the first stroyline was awesome and had me enthralled. Then sometime in season three I kinda lost interest. I caught the episodes in reruns and they weren't bad, but weren't great either. Things really went downhill sometime in season four. I can imagine the pitch too. "Let's make Mr. Sorbo feel right back at home by making him a near deity, it'll be Hercules meets Star Trek the fans will love it... it's a license to print money I tell you..." Sigh Then we have the so called "steampunk" episodes of season five. Yeah by the way when did every galactic body in the universe require an avatar. Hmmmm seems like more hercules territory. I honestly preferred the old secretive Trance, whom many of us thought of as a "Q" from Trek like entity slumming with the mortals. The sentient sun being the writers made her into does not seem like the one from the first few seasons. The new feel from the first seasons failed I feel because the successive wirters used tired old sci-fi/fantasy conventions to keep things on "familiar ground". When this show first hit it was as groundbreaking as Farsacpe in my opinion, and tons more darker. However in the end we have a jumbled mess that does not fit and has more filler than substance.
  • All Sci-fi no brains

I watched this show for years hoping it would get better. Sadly it never did. From the fleet of ships they saved (that never mad much of an apperance) to the vedrans, whats up with them there all powerful kickarse people that just sit back in hiding and watch the commonwealth fail allover again. The bonds between the crew of the Andromeda grew more distant and they grew apart and the show failed. This show had so much potensal and i feel sick inside that it never reached it. I was hoping for a movie after the first season but all i got was the show getting worst over a few seasons.
  • Great until the until the 5th Season.

The show was a great series. Not Star Trek great but it did make waves in the Sci-Fi world.

The 1st to 4th season was just amazing seires and for all good reasons it should have ended there after season 4, but they keep it going one more season that made this good series look like crap!

You have to know when to end and series and this one should have ended long ago.
  • First 2 seasons are very good.... The badness of Season 4 swallows both of them up and 3 wasnt that good either. If you are in for some mindless space boy adventure... I am the authority of morals in the universe.. turn in to Dylan Hunt and Andromeda

WOW… so much promise… only to be met by arrogance, bad plots, bad character development.. and something that I can’t quite put my finger on because my finger is on the off switch when this show comes on. The first two season were great to me. You had Dylan waking up after 300 years of (well…what can you call it! He Was In A Black Hole And Time Stopped!) So he wakes to find his beloved Federation… I mean Commonwealth has been destroyed and darkness has spread the universe. Tyr was my favorite character and they started to tone him down and outright got rid of him for Rhada.. What crap. The show went down hill after that… It became watch Dylan mack a new hot babe every show… get a kiss… have sex… and not worry about commitment… I mean, I’m all for someone being a player… but there is a thing called over doing it… And this show does it badly…. Trance! I mean what’s her deal! She is worthless… she can go back to the sun and live through infinite possibilities in the blink of an eye every millisecond for the rest of eternity for all I care… and what’s up with this traversing the universe crap!!! I mean, I know about light speed travel and worm holes and all that stuff… but being able to jump to another galaxy in a matter of seconds to me seems just a little crazy…. Especially with no scientific possibilities explained on what the hell they are riding on when they go to “hyper drive”… Probably “Strings!?” AY…. I don’t care. This show sucks! After season 2 that is… 3 is so so . 4 is god awful. 5… blah.
  • One of my favorite sci-fi shows.

Granted, I only got as far as the beginning of the third season, but if sci-fi continues to show these day marathons, I'll be caught up in no time.

I hear that the last season was a total waste, but I'm not there yet. From where I did get though, this show is truly a gem. From the excellent characters, to the mysteries that a couple of them hold (I am thinking of Tyr and Trance specifically), to the action, the humor, the drama, the storylines! OH! The storylines are super! Well-written. Great acting!

I think my complaint is that Rev seemed to have disappeared. I know the reason because of what he did with the Magog, but -- whoa -- I wanna see that dude again!

But great, great series! You should buy the DVD seasons! That's what I plan to do at some point in time :-)
  • Star Trek without the Star Trek people.

Andromeda is a Gene Roddenberry creation and is produced my many of the same people that do Star Trek. Although it is (apparently) set in a different universe there are many similarities. Regardless of whether you like Star Trek or not, you should give “Andromeda” a chance.

Kevin Sorbo as Captain Dylan Hunt takes a change of direction from “Hercules” as he has to rely on other people and represents organization.

Lexa Doig is the personification of the ship and appears in various forms: on viewscreens, as a hologram and as an android. She pulls off playing three slightly different versions of one character quite well. Her performance is even more remarkable as much of her acting is done alone in front of green screen and added to the scene after.
  • Great show up until the third season, but still I have a major obsession with it. I'd suggest watching this if only to make fun of Captain Hunt... because you get so many oppertunities.

Great show up until the third season, but still I have a major obsession with it. I'd suggest watching this if only to make fun of Captain Hunt... because you get so many oppertunities. The characters didn't really get developed well enough in my opinion. The episode plots would allow people to get sucked in then they would leave you with some sort of cliffhanger and then either; A) never mention it again, or B) leave it alone for a season and then mention it. During that time that they took a break from that plot it seems that their memories must have been erased because obviously that impending doom just on the edge of the horizon they faced last week is never mentioned again (unless it's like, three seasons later where viewers have trouble even remembering what they were talking about). The science is bad, the extras acting is worse, and the action scenes are too drawn out... I'd still recommend that everyone watches this show though, because although it has many flaws it also holds your attention (be it the hot actors or the many things you can laugh at).
  • Great Show! Once spent a whole week of holiday going through every season (from season 1 - 4).

Great show! I loved the sci-fi colors/texture it used.

Story line got a bit confusing past season 3 - like they were writing it as they went along.

Once spent a whole week of holiday going through every season.

I think they could bring it back at some point, but they seriously need to work on the story.

It's almost like they tried too hard to have too many twists.

Season 5! What the beef?! Surely you can't tell me that's the last one?

Dialog? Oh my Gosh. Definitely one of the main killers for me, some episodes were just too much - totally unnecessary dialogs.

The babes? Bring it on pity Rommie is married (real life that is) Season 5 totally messed up the whole babes issue... playing on the old bimbo stereotype.

Despite the annoyances, I do which season 5 is not the last one. If it is, please BRING IT BACK!
  • what happened to the plot?

Andromeda started off very differently to any Gene Roddenberry product I have seen. It was exciting with a unique storyline which started to evolve consistantly until... it just stopped. What happened? After about season 2, we are then treated to single episode stories with total disregard from the unfinished main storyline.

The characters onboard the Andromeda spacecraft are all unique and likable form the goofy engineer to the sexy avatar of the Andromeda 'Romi'.
  • As the future went on, Captian Dylan Hunt was frozen until a crew came a joined him along "The Andromeda Asendence", He's been changing the Galaxy with only six very different people.

The show was a hit! I though the funniest character was Harper, but my favourite character was Trance Gemini. I enjoyed the series, and everything in it. The animation was good on the ships, can't wait until the new season come on Dvd, but alot still question me threw the seasons..
  • The fifth seasson is boring, very boring

I jus saw the 10 episode of the fitfh seasson and i am getting very bored by the new scenary and casts. I miss the old adventures over the universe, instead of the actual "space cowboy" style with Harper in the "Cantina" enterprise. And please, Doyle instead of Romy.... no match, I liked much more the origina AI.
    This lasts seasson bottom down... :=(
  • A series that defines the phrase "going downhill fast". This series had great promise but went steadily downhill like nothing else I've ever seen.

Andromeda was something I really liked, the first 2 seasons were great. Very good actually. I thought that this series might be one of my favorites all time if it continues to show the same quality.

However after the first 2 seasons the quality of the show began a steady decline towards something incredibly bad. Worse than bad. My rating of the show is still 7.5 because the first 2 seasons balance the seasons after that.

This show really defines the "going downhill" concept. The first season was absolutely great and so was the second season. After that, the decline began. Season 3 was still decent, I was disappointed but I still had high hopes for the series.

But when I was halfway through season 4, I should've stopped right there. But no, I still had hopes for the series. However the hopes I had were not made true. Season 5 was even worse and only thing left from the series that had great plot, great humor, great action and actors that were great was this:

Nonexistent plots, bad humor, boring action and the actors wasted their talents saying words that were rubbish.

If you want to experience the great Andromeda, be my guest and watch the first 2 seasons. At the most watch the first 3 seasons. But don't blame me if you watch the whole series and feel about it like I do now.

And what I feel is grand disappointment.
  • Fantastic in early seasons, declined in season 4.

At the beginning, the show was great. Something different and good(some excellent) plotlines backed by a great cast.The whole restoring the Commonwealth theme was a bit cliched for me but it worked very well.

All was fine until the season 2 finale.With the commonwealth being restored so early in the series, I wondered 'what now...?'

The show started declining gradually in mid-season 3.I thought it struggled with it's direction (which kept changing every few episodes?, there was no motive, no focus. I feared it would become another Star Trek clone, which was the reason Andromeda was a refreshing change. Everything started becoming more philosophical and the show started losing its edge.

Season 4 just finished airing in my country, and though I enjoyed the finale(it was a throwback to the finales of S1 & S2), I didn't get the whole route of ages story arc (I thought it was a needless addition). It seemed as if the writers
    were making it up as they went along.The things I disliked was the whole Andromeda being expelled from the C'Wealth (it was stupid, who saw that coming)and Dylan being a Paradine arc, he was already a larger than life character, there was no need to turn him into somethinfg supernatural or mythical.I suppose the writers were running out of storylines.

I hope S5 will be better than this.Was sad to see that the show was cancelled.I always thought that the very last episode of the show would see the crew rediscovering Tarn Vedra and then finish restoring the C'Wealth.
  • i'd personally like to see a sequal of some kind to this serie, it has a compling and interesting view on the way the world could work.

Trance and the knowlege she had made this entire series most interesting. throughout the serie you learn more and more about Dylan Hunt, what and how the Nietzscheans were created. Why Beka Valentine was destined to find the Andromeda Acended, and Tyr Anasazi bid for galatic control. and on the side Dylan got the Systems Commonwealth back together and had it grow greatly.
  • So much potential. Too bad egos got in the way.

Had a great premise, an interesting cast, and I really wanted it to work. But it's always a bad sign when the creative genius behind the show quits due to "creative differences." I think, had this show had a different lead, it might have been so much more. Too bad he decided his ego was more important than the plotline...
  • This show's about one thing: blowing things up. Though it had imaginative concepts and engaging CGI effects, the show was hamstrung by shabby dialogue, bewildering plots, shallow characters, and an overwhelming preference for destruction over content.

I want to start off by saying I actually have watched almost every episode of this series, perhaps from boredom, but also from a great hope that it would evolve into something greater. It embarasses me somewhat to say I have watched FIVE SEASONS of this show and yet have given it such a low rating, but... here I am.

In some ways, it is very refreshing that this show decides from the very outset that depth and intrigue are not its targets -- instead, the show guns for action. Shows often start in the middle of firefights, hordes of Magog or other anonymous alien types reach a horrific body count, spaceships with crews of thousands vaporize in firefights, and every other episode features a slow-motion dive away from a massive explosion. I've always wondered if this carnage were an indirect response to Star Trek's soap opera feel, where firefights were avoided at all costs, and the death of ONE person was a shock and outrage in any given episode.

Though the spacefights were brilliantly-rendered, spacefights alone cannot carry the plot. The plots were usually so hokey that it was obvious they were only a vessel for more violence. Seeing ships explode in a massive fireball is cool, but what does it mean? Why do we need to watch five minutes of repetetive footage of unexplained aliens being gunned down? Why are the space pirates attacking, other than because they are space pirates?

In addition, the characters, while all looking different, were dull and uninspired. Attemps to give them motivations (most notably in the fifth series) felt forced and ham-fisted. They often ruined any sort of tension in firefights or crises by delivering witty quips that made the viewer feel they weren't in danger after all (which was true). I suppose in the end, that wasn't the point; rather, it was once again the explosions and flashing laser blasts that took center stage.

This show had dazzling potential. The classically-inspired Commonwealth was a very interesting concept. Ships with avatars, indeed, celestial bodies with avatars, enriched the universe and made it a very vibrant place. The show featured a creature who lives backwards through time, a giant vessel composed of planets powered by a sun, an artificially-constructed solar system, interdimensional alien threats... you would think with palette this rich, the producers could have come up with a plot that surpassed the numerous "Dylan scores with another chick" episodes. So many great concepts were squandered, usually just blown up like everything else in the show.
  • I did watch it, then I lost it

I really like sci-fi shows, so this would be a warm welcome, but then after 2 season I seemed to loose it.
    But this was a great show, about Dulym being trapped in time sort of and when to come out of it few hundred years later and everything has changed.
    And with his new friends he tries to bring back the commonwelth.
  • A great concept. Our hereo is frozen in time, and when he think only minutes have gone by, he's infact 300 years in the future. The world as he knew it is gone, and he's going to restore it.

Yes, the concept is exelent, and so is the first two seasons of the series. The story is not always easy to follow, but one manages. The caracters are believable and well acted.

The problems with the rest of the seasons, is that almost every episode takes a new turn, and the episodes will not funktion together. Slightly confused after each episode, I started to lose interest in midseason 3. It seamed like the writers didnt know what direction to move in, and the resault was "all directions at once".

Even if the quality was somewhat poorer in season 3 and 4, it continued to be watchable. Many things is still unclear to me, like wat was really "the Nebula", "the rout of ages", "The Paradines" and "The Vederans". I don't think that the Andromedas makers managed to explain all of the fenomenas in this universe, and this left me confused.

The show should have been taken off the air after season 4, while it still had some dignity. Season five was really disapointing in many ways; The space show I was used to from the first 4 seasons was no more. Now, the storry took place on the planets sufaces of sefra 1, 2...9. The storyline was even harder to follow, and from this season I'm still having questions unanswered.

All in all it was a good attempt at making a great show, and it could have been, but sadly they couldnt make me belive in their green sun.(Green sun= Tolkien reference)
  • This was a an interesting journey about a man, Dylan Hunt (Kevin Sorbo), who was trapped in a black hole and hence trapped in time. Upon waking he found that his beloved commonwealth was gone, a sophisticated galactic empire of planets. His cause was to b

The story did have a lot of potential, and I am amused at how the producers, including Kevin Sorbo, could run out of ideas towards the end of the series.

In my opinion the “Dissonant Interval” is an ingenious piece of work. Someone must have knocked their head and had an epiphany. To start on a good note first we must realise... Andros from Greek meaning ‘of a man’, combined with medesthai meaning ‘to think of, to be mindful of’. The conclusion is Andromeda, means ‘to think of a man’, and is also a constellation, the title of the series and the Warship. The man we are thinking of is Dylan, the only one left capable of restoring the commonwealth.

Something I like specially about the episode is the quotes at the beginning of each episode, which remind me a bit of Isaac Asimov’s Foundation saga. You heard the mention of the paradine, something I’ve never heard of before but is clearly explained in the respective episode as “Never seen, always present. Influencing the fate of the galaxies themselves” (These I guess are other clues to the puzzle “Man is his own star” & “Nothing will fall to you late or early”). I think it is safe to say that in a way both Marlowe and Dylan could be considered constants in the Universe, like Q on the “The Next Generation” and “Voyager” Star-Trek Series. I somehow feel the end was a bit abrupt just like WB’s Smallville’s season finale, but nevertheless it was awe inspiring. I hope you give continuity to the work.

I tend to see patterns of PANTHEISM in most of the Sci-Fi novels I read, and the series on TV. Pantheism is the belief that nature (GAIA) and Universe are divine, it fuses religion with science. In the case of Arkology its more to do with Stoicism, Kevin Sorbo used to play Hercules (“Greek God” as Harper described him in the first episode of the series, it’s ironic that he was a god after all, he also speaks latin “Una Salus Victus...”). Watch Troy and you’ll think Brad shares some of the “Martial Art” movements Rhade does in the series. I think emperor and philosopher Marcus Aurelius would have felt right at home in Arkology. Their philosophy of life in a sense is that of humble submission to the universe no matter how perilous the journey of matter. Stoicism had a great impact in the Greek and Roman cultures. Perhaps some of the staff in Andromeda share the ideals behind PANTHEISM, or Scientology but perhaps not Stoicism. In this series I get a great sense of philosophy, religion and of course science, this truly inspires me to know more about such things, I’ve even been writing Sci-Fi short novels. It’s a very positive way to encourage kids like me into the sciences, keep up the good work.

I was also astonished by Rhade’s adaptation of William Butler Yeats “Under Ben Bulben” when Louisa passes away, and the theme song played here is one of the best in Andromeda.

“On this soul
    Cast a cold eye
    On night, and day
    All their living, pass by!” Rhade

“Cast a cold eye
    on life, and death
    horseman, pass by!” WB Yeats

And that Soprano Singer, Catherine Thomas really has a very nice voice. I liked the theme in this final episode. I like the fact that today’s TV Shows are reverting to classical music as themes in series. For example the WB’s Smallville season 3 ended with a nice piece from Mozart, and TV listings rival UPN’s Enterprise also plays some outstanding original work not unlike the ingenious Andromeda Invictus. Although, I do love most styles of music, and really depends on the mood...

I would love if directors/producers/composers could come up with a way to blend all types of musical culture into their series/films depending on character adaptation. For instance, I could see how a bad boy dressed in black leather suit would like heavy metal (generalising of course), or how a lab coated scientist would love some classical tunes (further generalistation), or how a southernern waring a hat and riding on a horse would love western music (generalising)... obviosuly that's not how it has to be, I'd love to see them play around with the archeatypical characters and give them a hip hop background, or jazz, salsa... something culturaly different, could have helped the Andromeda show a lot. We can't assume space is like greek mythology either...
  • It gets better and better...

I never thought that Keven Sorbo will be able to be Cpt. Dylan Hunt!! But he totally succeeded in that role.

I'm not a big fan of future space shows but this one made me commit to watching it's all episodes without missing one.

Every season it just gets better and better even though each time someone leaves but it just manage to get better.

I really liked it.
  • The best show that i ever seen...absolutely superb good job....i seen all episodes from all the 5 series.

I wached every episode with same interest every time apeared something new it was absolutely briliant al the 5 series kept me in front of the tv. Without doupt is the best show from its class very good work always introducing new elements that kept the story going. I enjoyed every episode and i watch it again without regrets.
  • Season 1 And 2 are amazing, Season 3, 4 and 5 -not so much.

Season 1 of andromeda is fantastic. Great, Brilliant - Highly entertaining. A great cast and interesting story arc, along with fantastic characters and fun episodes - make Season 1 of Drom a truly fun show. Very enjoyable, from the tension between Dylan and Tyr to the gorgeous and allways charming Trance Gemini. Its kind of a shame that the show went south, as soon as Robert Hewitt Wolfe (The shows original creator) left during Season 2. After the writers changed (Due to pressure from the production studio) the show went south fast, and by the end of the third season, Andromeda had taken a tumble. It got worse through Season 4, And season 5 was just plain bad.

However, I still love season 1 and 2 of this VASTLY underated Sci-Fi show, And really do wish that Robert Hewwit Wolfe had stayed on bored. Over-all, Andromeda was a great show that unfortinatly went sour before its time. I dont much care what the haters think, But i find season 1 of Andromeda more entertaining than any season of Stargate.
  • wached every episode with same interest every time apeared something new it was absolutely briliant al the 5 series kept me in front of the tv. Without doupt is the best show from its class very good work always introducing new elements that

• It just went so wrong.

If any show could be said to have had a great imaginative start, flare out, and then putter along for another 3 seasons then this is it.

This is not to say that there were not some great episodes all throughout it, but it just failed to keep a slow steady burn, like what it gave us the first season.

It is one of those things where you watch the first season and just can not wait to see more. But then the end of the first season and the beginning of the second strikes you between the eyes.

They took a failry interesting misfit story, and they try to "make it better."

From a virile youth it fell into an appoplectic middle age. You got the feeling that the writers of the story could not figure out what type of story they were writting. They kept suddenly changing things to try and make it work out better, because that is what you do when you loose sight of your goal right, you re-write?

From its violent and angry middle age it gets a severe case of early alzheimers. It becomes forgetful. We have a huge number of story threads that get tossed out into the wind never to be seen again as they take what obviously was a 7 to 8 year storyline, and compress it into 2 years to try and finish it before it gets cancelled.

Some of the episodes in season 5 have a decided "Plan 9 From Outerspace" thing going for them. Which is to say nothing at all.

The entire time they are in pocket space you sit there and say, "what is the point?"

They get out and it is as if nothing that happened for those eppisodes mattered one whit. And it did not.

Then there was the final episode. It was the climax of the series, only in that is was the piece of tripe to rule everything else bad about the entire series.
  • I have seldom seen so much potential wasted so quickly. A great concept helmed by developer Robert Hewitt Wolfe is quickly sent down the toilet when Kevin Sorbo (Dylan Hunt) hosts a hostile takeover.

I have to say I honestly enjoyed the first two seasons of "Andromeda". The main theme of rebuilding a great fallen empire is inherently romantic and filled with great possibilities. Of course, while I enjoyed most of the episodes of season 1 and 2, it was a distinctly hit-and-miss affair, with some episodes bordering on fantastic and others merely of decent quality. Still, things mostly got better with time and I always got the impression that the writers were building up to something great, akin to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's story arcs in its 4th-7th seasons.

Then came season 3, and the mission of the Andromeda is basically finished as the commonwealth is rebuilt.
    All of the great buildup of the early seasons ends not with a powerful bang, but a wimpy fart.

The show is converted to a crummy episodic format with good plotlines (and character development) abandoned. I counted a stretch of 7 or 8 episodes where Dylan Hunt got a new girl every time. Aliens and planets of the week predominate. Most of the shows are no deeper than an episode of Mighty Morphin Power rangers, with crummy fight scenes to match.

And while seasons 3 and 4 meander meaninglessly through silly plots like evil librarians and mumblings about the Abyss,paradines, vedrans, and route of ages, Season 5 makes the whole series a joke. Dylan Hunt is even pulling big swords out of the wall in a tribute to Hercules ("it's a long story," he says). For shame, for shame.

By far season 5 is the worst. Almost all of it takes place in a crappy bar on a planet called Seefra something. The writers go in many directions and introduce questions while never answering any of them. The best they can do is have Trance make spooky radio transmissions in a cigarette smoking man voice? Rommie is replaced with a blonde catsuit-wearing version of herself with bigger, uh, assets. I know they're trying to shoot for the 18-49 male demographic, but this is just plain pandering.

But my single biggest complaint with Andromeda is its characters, or lack of them. They're all either 2-dimensional or outright stereotypes.

There is a concept in scriptwriting referred to as "Character Arcing". The basic idea is that the characters aren't the same as they were at the beginning of the story. Watching the characters change and evolve makes for interesting drama. Frodo the hobbit is not the same in the beginning of the lord of the rings as he is in the end; nor is Gandalf or anyone else.

This is NOT the case in Andromeda.

I never once cared about ANY of the characters. I wanted to like Harper but couldn't. Ok, I get the point, he's the short, eccentric nerd and never gets any women. But he never changes or moves on from that. Beka is the *ahem* unvirtuous woman, Tyr is the silent warrior, and Dylan is always the hero. Trance is the mysterious stranger/sage. And they *never* change.

No, my friends, Andromeda is a perfect example of why actors like Kevin Sorbo should not dictate the creative vision of a television show. It's a shame that Andromeda could not live up to its own potential, but only the writers and management are to blame.
  • good show

I really liked this show and the plot got better as time went on, the last season was its best ever, I liked the cast, and the story that was told.. not to mention Kevin Sorbo.. I wish it was still on but at least we have reruns thank God for the Sci-Fi channel
  • Good Sci-Fi, Chaotic Story

All right…I understand this is a Roddenberry concept, one of his original ideas, pre-Trek. Yet, I have to wonder why it was conceptualized the way it was.

As sci-fi goes, Andromeda is very good. Episodes have great ideas, no “English Speaking Aliens”, no Western View of the universe and just a general all around a techno-jargon fest. But oh my, do the stories have some twists and turns that make the average viewer dizzy.

Major faux paws abound, and general “wait-a-minute…what-about…” screams at the TV for story breakdowns that have the sci-fi fan wondering what were the writers thinking.

I have one major issue with this series, is that the jumps from season to season leave such a major canyon in the storyline that at times I found myself asking why bother anymore with the series. Yet, I return again and again cause I think that maybe, just maybe, the writers will in a two series arc, tie so many of those damn lose ends together, it will all make sense. One can only hope.

This series is available on DVD…and it’s pricey.
< 1 2 3