Andromeda

The Test

Aired Unknown Jan 07, 2005 on Syfy

6.7
  • In this whole, murky starting run of season five there have been almost no bright points, but this just might be one.

Let me start by saying that so far, I hate what they did to Andromeda in season 4, where they dumbed it all down, and even worse is the nightmare that has been season 5- no budget, no writing, and no clear concept of what they were trying to do or how to get there. This episode is the first to have a real concept to it, and the interesting, pared down way of lighting the scenes (which strongly reminded me of a stage production), was more satisfying than their usual solution to their budgetary dilemma (which is to recycle the same, exact crappy, colorless sets they used in every episode before it). It was different, and different is just what the doctor ordered. It also led to a little more togetherness between the crew, and that was even more necessary to the show. People watch TV to satisfy a need within themselves, and watching a bunch of losers feeling sorry for themselves for ten straight episodes was torturous. It's a testament to what the show was in its earlier seasons that I've continued watching up to this point, painful as it's been. I just hope the home stretch builds on the beginning they've made for themselves here, and returns to the strong crew who are willing to face any odds together because they know it's the right thing to do, and there's no one else but them to do it.