Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 01, 2001 on The WB

• First taste of Pylea

BELONGING

The Good;

Very clever opening with the mirror in the resteraunt. The scene with Angel on the false beach is also great and all the stuff between Lorne (aka Krevlorneswath of the Deathwok clan) and his cousin "Again ,NOT a coward!"

The Bad;

Awful to see Cordy humiliated by the director, CC a veteran of loads of commercials in real life, I wonder if this was an experience she had? As Angel says, I thought demon violence was impossible in Caritas.

Best line:

Rondell "We been waiting on you for months, bro"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

The poor guys whom the Drakken eats

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Damsel in distress; the girl the Drakken takes as food 19

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tattoo; 6, they actually go to great lengths not to show it during the commercial shoot.

Cheap Angel; 7

Treats the gang to a fancy dinner but insists on getting his money's worth. Says he's not cheap just old.

Fang Gang in bondage:

Angel; 26 vamps, 33 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 3 demons

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 7 vamps+ 2 demons.

4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Angel Investigations shot:

Angel: 11

Wes; 1

Packing heat; Gunn suggests using a flamethrower against the demon, we've seen a member of his gang use one in War Zone

Wes; 3

Doyle; 1

Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Angel: 2; Buffy and Darla

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

Angel remembers when you could get a tavern wench for a few bob (presumably when he was Liam the drunken whoring layabout rather than Angelus). Needless to say Cordy looks incredible in her seashell bikini as indeed does her gorgeous blonde co-star who seems quite smitten with Angel and very taken aback that he doesn't notice her considerable charms on display. When Angel relates the description of Cordy's bikini to Gunn and Wes they seem very interested (still think of CC sexually?). And check out Angel fondling his axe as he tells them. Apparently Haclaar beasts feed and mate at the same time.

Captain Subtext;

Cordy describes Fred as pretty. Lorne says he used to chat up the senoritas at the bar when the other Pylean men were out hunting once again painting him as bi.

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

Wes phones home, when we see his dad in 'Lineage' we understand this conversation better. Lorne performs an excellent version of Stevie Wonders 'Superstition', Andy Hallet's second best song on the show in my opinion. Fred for the first time. Love the way the librarian rationalises Lorne's appearance. He refers to Harry Potter, I don't know if it's deliberate but Wes the sorcerer has a little zigzag scar on his forehead throughout the ep.

Marks out of 10; 6/10 ok ep but not brilliant, promises much to come

• Belonging

Belonging was a really great episode of Angel and I really enjoyed watching because we learned more about the Host, or Lorne. This episode introduces us to his cousin Landoc. We also learn of a girl named Fred who may have disappeared into one of the portals that brought a vicious demon to the Host's bar. I really enjoyed watching this episode as Angel trys to find his new place with the gang, as Wesley is now in charge. I think this episode had a great surprise ending and I can't wait to find out what will happen in the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Landokmar of the Deathwok Clan arrives in L.A.

Belonging is a solid, fun episode that has good character interaction and dialogue but a somewhat uninteresting plot that moved slowly. This episode is basically just setting up the 3 episode Pylea arc and as such isn't as interesting or fun as the next 3 excellent episodes are. The story of Landok arriving in L.A. and hunting the Drokken demon was so-so. It has the demon of the week feel which is never good but probably a better demon than some of the things Angel comes up with. The Gunn gang scenes were just.. pointless really. Nothing ever comes of Gunn's guilt, so why include it? Thank God there are only 2 more of these gang episodes left of the series- they're tiresome and completely annoying. The moral of the episode however is to with belonging somewhere. No one truly belongs in L.A. , it's just sort of a place you end up in. Angel felt he didn't belong with his friends. Cordelia felt she didn't belong with her acting career and decides to give it up here. Wesley felt he didn't belong with his father- shown by the phonecall. Landok didn't belong in our dimension. Gunn didn't belong with his gang. At the end of the episode, Cordelia disappears into Pylea where she didn't belong. It's a not so subtle message and one that wasn't necessary either, it felt sort of shoved in to the episode.

The dialogue in this episode makes up for the somewhat average plot and Lorne is definitely the highlight of the episode- he had some great lines and lifted the mood. Angel was quite funny in this episode and definitely more light hearted than I've ever seen, which is good. Cordelia is excellent as always- can she ever be annoying? The short answer is no. I like that this episode sets up the Pylean arc though. Season 2's first arc, the Darla one, was outstanding but almost too dark at times, it was depressing at times to watch. However, the Pylea arc is pure fun and you can tell they had an excellent time with it. Belonging is a good episode, though somewhat uninteresting at times. It is needed to set up the next 3 episodes however and shouldn't be missed.
  • I am Landok of the Deathwok Clan

I love to see the development in Lorne's character and the bad relationship between him and his brother. Landok is such the polar opposite of his brother who is the demon that we love for all his musical talent and style. The trail of bodies that are left behind are a nice plot line that brings Landok and Angel together as two warriors that have mutual respect for each other. The search that begins for the missing girl who turns out to be Fred starts the end of the season which is really good story line. All in all a really good installment.
  • Revenge of The Deathwok Clan!

7.9
    Belonging-When a bloodthirsty demon emerges from a magickal portal on the stage in Caritas, the Host (whose name, we learn, is Krevlornswath or "Lorne" for short) asks Angel and the gang to find it and destroy it before it cuts a bloody swath through Los Angeles. When they discover that the beast is from the Host's home dimension, he is reluctantly pressed into service, but the answer to their problem may come from yet another portal...

The season starts to come to a close as we embark on the Pylea arc which runs for last 4 episodes of the season. Here, we are introduced to Lorne's cousin, Landornswath of the Deathwok Clan from Lorne's home dimension, who reveals Lorne's real name and some of his past. It's hilarious hearing about Lorne's mother and how she depises him for lieaving. The escape demon plot was average though, though brings some brutal flesh eating scenes which is always a plus for TV. We also get a small glimpse of Fred in this episode who will also be an important member of the Fang Gang but her appearance is very vague and left to be explain next 3 episodes. The subplot with Gunn's gang is decent and kinda sad that he couldn't save his friend who we have seen before. This episode also has some nice special effects and lighting with the portals. We end with a cliffhanger as Cordelia is accidentally sent to Pylea with Lorne's cousin...uhh ohh. All and All, a good start to the elaborate Pylea arc.
  • No one and everyone belongs in L.A.

Cordelia and the guys celebrate her new commercial and she ends up getting food poisoned. Thats how we start out this episode. The next day at the commercial shoot, Angel shows up to ask Cordy about a demon she saw in her vision and ends up angering the director of the commercial and embarassing Cordy. She has to don a very tiny bikini, and Angel cant figure out why she puts up with such abuse to have an acting career. To sum it up, a beast came thru a portal at Caritas and the host has the gang working to kill it. Cordy has a vision of a girl getting sucked into a portal. They all go to the library Cordy recognized from her vision and read from the book the girl was reading. A portal opens and a demon (Landok) comes through. Seems he is a relative of "Krevlornswath" (the host) or Lorne as he likes to be called. Landok helps the gang track the beast and Angel kills it. Unfortunately it bites Landok in the struggle and the bite is poison to his people. The gang is able to get him back through the portal at Caritas so he can be saved, but guess what? Cordy got pulled through it too.
  • Angel is still settling back into life at Angel Inc, and the gang celebrates Cordy's role in a national commercial. Then a demon jumps out of a portal at Caritas and the crew finds more than they bargained for at the library.

Particularly in the beginning of this episode, I was reminded a lot of the 5th season "Buffy" ep "The Body," which contained no score music throughout. "Belonging" had a score, but it was very understated and quiet, and used mostly to transition in between quiet scenes which saw our characters isolated within their own world and grappling with their roles. Two characters thought they had found what they wanted: Cordelia had won a role in a national sunscreen commercial, only to realize at the shoot that the director wanted her for her cleavage and body, not for her acting ability. Something she probably suspected before, but didn't want to admit, so excited as she was to celebrate something other than a demon kill or a few hours without a blinding vision.

And Wesley, still adjusting to his role as leader of Angel, Inc, hoped to gain his father's approval by telling news of his promotion. But his father made it clear that it wasn't even news worth telling, and Wesley's insecurities increased for the rest of the episode after that. Angel and Gunn, on the other hand, are both former leaders settling into secondary roles, with Gunn still resisting the complete move over to Angel Inc. He never said so, but he clearly felt guilty when after not lending his truck to his friends, and expecting them to wait for him, they went ahead and one got killed. It was a pivotal moment for Gunn because he would realize that he had to make the move to Angel, Inc, for good to allow his old crew to move on, and to move on himself. Then Lorne (as "The Host" is revealed to be in this episode), the only character who's perfectly content with his life in L.A., suddenly has to deal with a pesky demon from his home dimension, and then a long-lost cousin who undermines the life he's built. Which leads us into a story arc where the core four (now five) characters re-discover the importance of the roles they've been playing. Although they didn't realize it yet in this episode, they're already where they belong.
  • enter the pylea

i never liked plea but at least this episode was pretty good.
    the characters were all feeling bad in la and they did not fir there at all. cordelia had problems with her acting job and wesley with her dad and gunn with his crew and angel with everything. the angst in this episode was well done! it's when the pylea charaters arrive when it gets less interesting.

the end has cordelia going into a portal and ending in some other world. this is not sliders for gods sake!
  • The start to the great pylea acr. I think this episode is very well written it wasn't all as interesting but it was still pretty funny. especially dealing with the member's belonging to this world. specially Cordy's is great. she looks relaly hot as well.

Belonging

I really liked pylea. this is a great episode too, the first half was pretty funny and dealt with everybody's incisiveness. this is a very important episode to me. didn't care to much abut he Lorne/Landok story though. but it was still a really cool episode and the end is the start of something great.

cut to a restaurant with the fang gang eating. they are celebrating Cordy who is going to do a commercial. Angel is totally of the gang again. He sees a woman walking out and grabs her. he thinks she is a witch but she's just a normal person. Cordy goes over and says that he just likes pretty things because he's from French. then Cordy suddenly gets dizzy and starts puking all the sushi (this is one of the most hilarious "if not the most" teaser.

the credits start

cut to Wes in the office talking to his dad but his dad refuses him completely. cut to Angel going to the set. He needs to asks something to Cordy. then comes the producer and he is a big bitch and humiliates her. he makes her loose the rope and she's almost naked and Angel notice it. then the guy goes away and Angel asks something about a demon and she walks away 'I hate my whole life'.

cut to the office. Gunn and Wesley talking about killing the Haklar. then come Gunn's two buds. he thinks they need him but they just want to borrow his truck. He wants to help then but Angel says he needs them and the two boys leave Gunn. Angel is mad about the producer and he tells Wes and Gunn about Cordy's clothes and that she just took it from that guy. then they leave. cut to Lorne singing when suddenly a demon comes through a portal.

cut to Cordy doing the production. the producer is still very mean to Cordy and she just takes everything. cut to the gang coming back and find Cordy sad. she says that she embarrassed herself. and she is sad and Wes tells that a power walker slapped him for killing the demon. Cordy says that this town sucks. then comes Lorne and he asks for them to kill a Drakkon and that it's from another dimension. cut to a club, two guys come ut and the Drakkon kills them and then takes a woman. cut to the office. They don't really want to listen to Lorne. when Cordy has a vision about a girl getting taken by a portal so there is a connection. they leave and ask Lorne to come with them.

cut to Gunn going to his friends. they're all sad. one of them died and was bitten. cut to the others going to the library. They ask a woman about the girl and she says that her name was Winifred and disappeared 5 years ago. they go to some books and grab them. They are strange and Cordy reads it up and then a portal opens. someone like Lorne comes out and they are cousins. Lorne hates t place where he lived and they have to kill the Drokken. Lorne's cousin will help. and then they leave together and Lorne is all upset.

cut to Gunn mad at his friend and says that they should have waited for him. cut back to the gang to a place. Lorne's cousin feels the Drokken. Wes and worried about Gunn but Cordy says better not to go save him again. Lorne's cousin keeps calling Lorne a coward but he isn't. he just saw the good way of living. Lorne's cousin says that the Drokken has more food for later. meaning. people. they find his place and they go after it. The Drakkon bite's Lorne's cousin and poisoned him the antidote is only in their world. Angel and Wes to go save the woman and Wes finds her but the Drakkon then attacks him. Angel saves Wes and puts a sword through the Drakkon's neck.

They come with the guy and go into the car. Cordy knows how to do it and they leave. cut to Gunn, they have to burn his friend and put him on fire. cut to the guys, Landok reads the book and the portal opens and takes him. then the gang suddenly realise that it took Cordy with him. cut to Cordy waking up in another place 'Oh, crap!'

Best episode quotes:

Cordelia: You wanna try some of this sashimi?
    Gunn: That's the raw fish? Maybe when hell freezes over.
    Wesley: What are you looking for?
    Cordelia: Celebrities. They wouldn't put them out here in the 'B' section. They put them back in the dark.
    Angel: Not like here - where it's brightly lit and - open and everyone could stare at you and...It's a little exposed. Kind of public.
    Gunn: Oh, yeah, that public thing. It happens when you go where the people are.
    Angel: Oh, no, no, no. I-I-I like the people. Normal people. I wanna get out and be one of them. You know. Celebrate Cordy's good news.
    Cordelia: Oh, it's just a commercial.
    Wesley: Just a national commercial. Here is to you.
    Cordelia: Guys, I can't drink. I have to be up at four thirty in the morning for the shoot. But please, continue with the toasting and the praising.
    Gunn: You're gonna knock 'em dead, and make a ton of cash.
    Angel: What he said, but-but don't leave us when you get famous.
    Cordelia: I'm touched. But don't worry. I can't leave you guys while I'm still the proud owner of the mind-shattering, ever more debilitating visions. I feel a little guilty.
    Angel: Don't. - I mean, nineteen dollars for a - sashimi couscous appetizer is money well spent. How was it anyway? Pretty good? I mean, it ought to be pretty...
    Cordelia: It's delicious but that's not what I feel guilty about.
    Angel: Oh. I 'm not cheap, I-I'm just old. I-I remember when a few bob got you a good meal, a bottle and a tavern wench. - You were saying?
    Cordelia: I was saying, I feel guilty leaving you guys in the middle of a case to go do this commercial.
    Wesley: Mhmm, we have it under control. Angel will get hold of his informant first thing in the morning.
    Gunn: And he - well, is it a he or an it?
    Angel: Actually both.
    Gunn: Well, then he slash it points us to the big bloated thing in your vision.
    Wesley: The Haklar demon. In fact Angel's informant will lead us to the demon's feeding grounds where we manly men will gather round and kill it to death.
    Cordelia: Ooh, sounds like fun. - If you guys want more wine, don't let me stop you.
    Angel: Oh, no more wine for me. That imported stuff goes right to your head.
    Gunn: You think we should get a flame thrower?
    Wesley: For the Haklar? I hadn't thought of that.
    Angel: I mean, if you guys want to order another bottle...
    Gunn: Of course if we wound up in a tight space we could burn each other.
    Wesley: Right. Right.
    Gunn: Well, you're the boss. You'll decide.
    Angel: Isn't this interesting?
    Woman: Wha-what? My shawl?
    Angel: No, your Brahenian Battle-shroud, woven from the skin of dead children.
    Wesley: What's he doing?
    Angel: You think I don't know a Voltar Witch when I see one? You don't think I can't see the markings of a... Looks a little different up close.
    Cordelia: It's a beautiful shawl ma'am. It's a beautiful, thousand dollar, Laura Mina original. My friend just loves beautiful things so much he can't control himself. Because he's - ahm, from France? - We're so sorry. So sorry.
    Angel: Pardon. I'm telling you those markings, from a distance they really looked...
    Wesley: Let's just eat and be on our way without any more...
    Cordelia: Oh god.
    Gunn: What is it? What do you see?
    Cordelia: Moo...
    Wesley: Moo? Some sort of cow monster?
    Cordelia: Move. I think the sashimi is coming up.
    Angel: They'll take that off the bill, right?

Cordelia: What are you doing here?
    Angel: Getting a tan. Ha. Not bursting into flames?
    Cordelia: So - what are you doing here?
    Angel: I have to ask you a question. In your vision did the Haklar demon...
    Cordelia: Shut up. The director's come in. Hi. I just wanna say thanks for casting me.
    Director: You're welcome. Lose the bathrobe.
    Cordelia: Excuse me?
    Director: What's wrong? You don't speak English? The wardrobe. I need to see it. Lose the robe, princess.
    Cordelia: Sure. Sure.
    Director: Turn around. Well, nothing wrong there. Okay, turn. When does she go to makeup?
    Cordelia: I've already been to makeup.
    Director: Really. Then take her back. Tell David to get rid of those circles under her eyes. She looks like a refugee from an abused women's shelter.
    Cordelia: I had food poisoning.
    Director: Yeah, right. You eat. Good one. Tell David I'm supposed to wanna sleep with this woman. I don't. Do you wanna sleep with her? Of course you don't.
    Angel: You're out of line. Apologize to her.
    Director: Oh, let me guess. Wanna-be rocker or part-time male model. I could go either way on this one.
    Angel: I said apologize to her.
    Director: Really? Get security.
    Cordelia: Angel...
    Angel: Who the hell do you think you are, huh?
    Director: I think I'm the director. And I think you're real smart for bringing your unemployed boyfriend onto my set, telling me how to film my commercial. That's really helping your career.
    Cordelia: I'm sorry. Ah. He won't bother you anymore.
    Director: Oh, I know he won't. Because security is gonna toss his ass in about two minutes. Now get into makeup and hope they can work miracles.
    Angel: Do you want me to rip that guy's head of for you? Because, you know, I can. I can actually just rip his head right off his body. I can do that.
    Cordelia: Are you trying to ruin my career? I mean, is this like a conscious effort on your part?
    Angel: No. I just...
    Cordelia: You need to go. Now. Why are you still here? Go!
    Angel: Look, I have to ask you a question.
    Cordelia: What?
    Angel: In your vision - the Haklar demon that you saw, did he eat his victim whole or did he just rip out the liver? - 'cause, I mean, it's a funny story, according to my informant, liver-eating Haklar's have different feeding grounds then people-eaters, and I need to know what kind it was so I can track it down and kill it.
    Cordelia: I hate my whole life.

Wesley: Angel, is everything alright?
    Angel: I-It's Cordy.
    Wesley: What about her?
    Gunn: Headaches getting worse?
    Wesley: What happened?
    Angel: Nothing happened. It - it's just... Heh. Acting is her dream job? I mean, that's the world she really wants to live in? With people like that? I don't get it.
    Wesley: Who are you talking about?
    Angel: Mr. 'Hey, I'm an L.A. director, you know, shooting a commercial so I must be the center of the universe' guy? It's just like, if you wanna make it in show business you just pretend you're on the food chain. I mean, all we do is save the world. And the way he talks to her. It's like she's his commodity. Like she's his slave or something. And you know what the worst part is? She took it. When was the last time Cordy took crap from any of us?
    Gunn: Never. And the day after never.
    Angel: Exactly! He's also got her wearing this - flimsy swimsuit that covers like nothing.
    Wesley: Appalling.
    Gunn: Disgusting.
    Angel: Right.
    Gunn: Well, shouldn't we be off killing something?
    Wesley: Absolutely.
    Angel: Good. Let's get this show on the road.

Cordelia: Goes on smooth like a lovers kiss. It's the only suntan lotion good enough for our man.
    Director: Cut. Cut. You're in his light.
    Cordelia: Still?
    Director: I told you twice, you have to bend over more.
    Cordelia: If I bend over any more I'm gonna fall out of my top.
    Director: And then you'll be out of his light. See? Everybody wins.
    Cordelia: But isn't there something we could do...
    Director: I didn't hire you to play Ophelia. - Show the cleavage, save the line. Got it? Or you wanna waste more of our time?
    Cordelia: Got it.

Angel: Look, I just wanna say - if I was out of line today...
    Cordelia: If you were out of line? If? You're comfortable with your use of the word 'if' here, are you?
    Angel: I'm sorry I embarrassed you.
    Cordelia: Who am I kidding. I embarrassed myself. - I just wanted to act, that's all. - For them to like me because I was good. - I never wanted to feel like this. - I thought Gunn was with you guys?
    Wesley: He was. After the fight he had to go home to take care of some vampire business.
    Cordelia: How was the big fight? All big and - fighty?
    Wesley: We managed to kill the Haklar just as it was about to devour a group of power walkers.
    Angel: Horrible.
    Cordelia: I know. I saw it in my stupid vision, remember?
    Angel: No, not the Haklar, the power walkers. I mean, walking I get, but power walking? Why not just run for a shorter time? - Weird. - Plus one of them hit him.
    Cordelia: A power walker did that?
    Wesley: Apparently she felt that I disrespected the Haklar's culture by killing it.
    Cordelia: This town sucks.

Cordelia: Crv dr pff lr ploos pls Vos strp umpt pls plsrts in uft frm pltz. - Yeah, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel.

Lorne: Yes. Lorne, if you must. Though I generally don't go by that because green?
    Cordelia: Huh?
    Angel: Right. Lorne Greene. Bonanza? Fifteen years on the air not mean anything to anyone here? Okay. Now I feel old.

Story: 10