Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM May 13, 2002 on The WB

• Holtz and Angel showdown

BENEDICTION

The Good;

The return of Justine but this ep will always be remembered for the incredible scenes between Angel and Holtz. They strike you as a pair of weary emotional boxers slugging it out to the last. I especially like the moment where Angel rages at Holtz for stealing his son and Holtz points out that he kept Angel's son alive whilst Angel(us) killed his.

The Bad;

Angel just leaves a set of vamps lying on the floor of the club.

Best line:

Justine; "How did you survive?"

Holtz; "My hatred kept us alive" HOOOOoooooooooo!

also like;

Fred; "He's survived an unspeakable hell dimension. Who hasn't? It doesn't mean you can leave him on the streets of LA"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Holtz forcing Justine to stab him with the icepick

Apocalypses: 5

Wes: 5

Doyle; 1

Lorne; 3

Groo; 1

Kills: 2 vamps for Angel. 2 for Connor as well and we can add in the demon he killed in The Price

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 7 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 10 vamps+ 11 demons.

Groo; 1 demon

Gunn; 1 Fred

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

According to Fred's gizmo Connor is 'Hot'. Gunn dislikes the idea of tracking Angel's teenage son's 'emissions'.

Captain Subtext;

Groo and Lorne, their scene together very reminiscent of a scene in season 5 Buffy with Xander and Riley at the magic shop. But the Groo does it SOOOOO much better than Riley does "If she asks" Awwwwww!

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

One thing I've noticed in working my way through Buffy season 6 and Angel season 3 is that I keep leaping ahead wanting to watch more and more Angel and not Buffy. Note that the PTB's decide to save Justine through CC's vision. Holtz is quite religious believing god gave him Connor. You genuinely get the impression that they do love each other. Interestingly Fred refers to 'being at the bottom of the ocean looking upwards'. Does Holtz go to hell? Is he an evil man? The only evil thing I can think off he does is slitting Wes' throat but that's Justine and we've no idea that he even knew about it.

Marks out of 10; 8/10, an ep of great emotional depth and poignancy

• Benediction

Benediction was a perfect and classic episode of Angel because it had a great convergence of story lines, the beginings of new story lines, and character driven scenes. I really enjoyed watching this diverse episode as we discover the return of Holtz, Groo starts to question his relationship with Cordelia, and Connor learns that Holtz wants him to learn from Angel, however Holtz deceives Connor in the end. I thought the scene with Lorne being engaged by Connor and Cordelia coming to the rescue was awesome, beautiful, and the begining of Her and Connor's story. There was some great bonding between Angel and Connor or Steven, and it was interesting to see Holtz's reaction. The ending was a great twist and I can't wait to watch the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Shocking and saddening, an excellent episode.

Benediction is an excellent episode that continues the great teenage Connor arc and begins to tie up the storylines of this season. I'm not a big fan of Connor. In fact I hated him the majority of Season 4 and he is probably my least liked Buffyverse character. However, I would be a fool to not notice how excellent the teenage Connor arc is just because I dislike one character. This episode is dramatic, sad and interesting and step up from last week's A New World.

We see Angel and Connor bond throughout this episode and even though Connor supposedly hates him and it is against his better judgement to begin to trust anything demonic, but the bond between them is so strong he can't help but let his guard down. Him and Angel seem like father and son, much more than him and Holtz do and I think Boreanaz and Kartheiser have good acting chemistry together. Connor is clearly an emotional wreck and has clearly been far more damaged by Quor'Toth than he is letting on. Holtz clearly passed on his black and white view of the world to Connor and as such Connor sees it as Human= Good and Demons= Bad. His verbal attack on Lorne and physical attack on Cordelia thus proves this and it seems he is filled with anger all the time and believes he belonged in Quor'Toth with the demons, proved by Cordelia's calming magic on him and her later conversation with Angel. Cordelia effectively cures him from his anger and calms him down enough to be allowed out without Angel. He says he never remembers being "lost", further proving he felt he belonged in a hell dimension.

Angel and Cordelia's relationship continues to become more apparent here and they seemed to become like a married couple here- sharing problems and decisions together and Cordelia is almost like a mother figure to Connor, continuing from when he was a baby. Groo has obviously picked up on this too and despite Cordelia's reassurances that he is the one she loves, he can tell he isn't and can see the obvious bond between Angel and Cordelia. Cordelia has tried her hardest to make Groo more like Angel through his clothing and haircut and the moment here where she mistakes him for Angel and runs up, happy to see him and then stops when she realises who it is is a turning point in the relationship and the final push needed to make Groo break up with her.

Holtz claims to be a different man here and claims he has no taste for vengeance anymore. His conversation with Angel almost makes him look like a good guy and Angel a bad guy, when he points out Angel murdered his son and Holtz kept Angel's alive, but for what intent did Holtz keep Connor alive? He seems to genuinely love Connor but a small part kept Connor alive to torture Angel further, as Holtz knew Connor would find a way back. He doesn't consider Connor's feelings but ends his own life with the help of Justine, framing Angel. This proves he is still the same bitter man he was back then and has not changed all that much. Justine was a tragic character and I really liked the her and Holtz scenes. I could obviously see the bond between them and I found the scene where she kills him incredibly sad and hard to watch. Laurel Holloman was excellent here and made Justine's pain so apparent that when she stabbed Holtz she cried out, as if she was the one in physical pain. Benediction is an excellent episode that is the beginning of the end for S3. Not to be missed.
  • What The Holtz Was He Thinking?

7.9
    Benediction-Angel and Connor successfully engage in some much-needed father-son bonding when they find themselves fighting side-by-side. Then foster-father Holtz stirs things up by suggesting Connor should leave him to live with Angel. Meanwhile, Lilah continues to work on recruiting Wesley for the bad guys; and Cordelia's closeness with Angel causes a rift in her relationship with Groosalugg.

Okay, this episode makes me officially hate Holtz as a villian and a character! It seems since the writers made him a villian of the season they were trying to make him have a point, but beside taking Connor to Quor-toh, his motives have been irritating. Also, I would like to go off on Justine, who is an ungrateful, annoying chick to the fullest degree. Angel saves her life not once but twice yet she still follows the man who used her and left her with no real concern, yet she goes to Holtz and still acts like he was her Savior. I have never seen the supposed father/dauthger relationship they have, because he has never taught her anything she doesn't already know. Okay before I go on I'll go to the good parts of the episode. David and Vincent continue to show an uncanny father/son dynamic, especially when they fight side by side in the night club and when they are play fighting in the alley. Lilah and Wesley have a great scene in the night club as she tests his new logic, but one thing I don't understand is how Wesley could have known that was Connor with Angel. He has had barely any contact with the group to know this, and Lilah didn't even know who he was even after she was there when Holtz jumped through the portal with the baby? But anyway, it's also interesting to see Groo realizing how close Cordy is to Angel, which begins his exit from the series. Also, the ending frustrated me beyond belief. Holtz says he loved Connor and killing himself will make his vengence worth it by making Connor love him. But Holtz comes off as ignorant old fool, he never loved Connor, Justine or anyone he worked with. He just used them to try and kill Angel. I mean Holtz has become just as bad as Angel was and his revenge becomes pointless in the end. It just stupid how gullible Justine is for going through with his plan and Connor seeing the 2 holes in his neck now makes him want to kill Angel, great! All and All, a good episode with developments that annoy me but great parts to balance it out.
  • The final part of Holtz's grand plan for revenge on Angel begins.

Holtz encourages Connor to get to know Angel. It's clear he's plotting something. I liked the scenes of them fighting together to save Justine, the only way they are able to bond. But I still cannot figure out if Holtz loves or hates Connor. Sending Connor against his will to spend time with Angel seems to be punishing the boy, and I didn't really think Holtz would do that if he loved Connor as a son. But he wants to punish Angel some more, so maybe Connor is just the weapon. When Holtz tells Angel that Connor should stay with him and gives him the letter, I thought I had it figured out, that Holtz cared more for Connor to be happy with his real father than he cared about making Angel suffer more. Wrong! Holtz's plan was brilliant, to have Justine kill him so that it would like like Angel did it. There is no way that Angel can prove he did not. And the letter that Holtz left was just ambiguous enough to make Angel seem either good or evil.

It's interesting that Holtz never tries to directly fight Angel either before or after he takes Connor. He knows he is no match physically for Angel and chooses instead to use more subtle means of psychological torture as revenge on him, rather than physical violence. Even his use of the little army was done with the aim of taking Connor and not for killing Angel. When he does want to use violence, he uses Connor as the weapon.

On the Groo/Cordy angle, I am feeling sorry for Groo. It's clear that Cordelia believes her role is to support Angel in any way and given the major issues he is dealing with, Groo is barely even an afterthought to her.
  • Connor and Angel bond.

Connor returns to Angel at the hotel they engage in some much needed bonding, although it's more like fighting and then bonding. Though first Cordelia helps Connor with some much needed magical demon mojo therapy, you do honestly feel so bad for the kid. But it is very cute and sweet watching Angel and Connor play fight with one another later on and it seems to genuine you almost forget that Holtz in behind it all, though he is now a somewhat changed man if only in appearance. Everything seems to be, well I won't say good but less troublesome and horrible then usual. Connor is back, he and Angel aren't battling one another but as I said Holtz is behind that and such things can not be good. After sort of fooling Angel into thinking he's returning Connor to him Holtz exacts his final revenge on Angel, taking his own life on the process and leaving Connor to believe it was Angel who did the killing. Any real bonding that had happened between Connor and Angel was most certainly ruined by this act, Holtz last revenge.

In somewhat secondary, though more like third, plot Groo is very clearly noticing that Cordelia doesn't truly love him. At least not like she is in love with Angel. It times like these, when things are really good that you know some horrible devestating thing is right around the corner! What fun!
    Benediction: A prayer giving blessing. Connor begins to explore his attachment to Angel and the two find that the best way for them to bond is sharing their mutual commonality, fighting. Holtz, who must've known this was going to happen, executes what seems desperate, but was probably all part of his final vengance against Angel. This is probably for the best as not EVEYTHING Holtz wrote in his letter was untrue. This vengance is very, very involved, and holding hatred for this long can only consume you. Speaking of consumption, Cordelia unwittingly shows her powers again, as she seemingly washes the hatred out of Connor. Upon my second watching of this arc, I'm kinda neutral on the whole thing, but the first time around, I really liked the Holtz character. His calm, effective view on the world is still so cool though. When Angel attacks him and accuses him of stealing his son, Holtz cooly says "I kept your son alive, you killed mine." I might not have liked him all along the 2nd time as much as I did the 1st time, but I gotta say, Holtz's massive vengance campaign against Angel is really quite good. This episode isn't as touching as you think it would be, but it's a defining episode, as Connor never really gets over Holtz's death until his final few apperances on this series.
  • Angel bonds with Connor but Holtz plays his trump card

This was a wonderful episode from start to finish. Angel lets Connor (Stephen) decide for himself whether or not he wants to live at the hotel. Holtz, meanwhile, is pushing Connor to go and spend time with Angel. Connor complies (unhappily) and ends up going with Angel to wail on some vamps Cordy had a vision of. They bond while Holtz watches in the shadows and you can tell he isnt thrilled. Holtz tells Connor to go and live with Angel. Connor goes, but he is very angry about it. He insults Lorne and tries to stab Cordy but she goes glowy again and "cleanses" him. Angel goes to confront Holtz, kind of anti-climactic but Holtz *is* an old man now and he was justified in his anger toward Angel. He gives Angel a letter for Connor/Stephen and says he is leaving and he wants Connor to be with Angel. Sounds all nice and kind, right? Angel should have known better. Holtz has Justine puncture his neck so as to appear he was bitten. Connor finds his "Father" dead with Justine, and he puts 2 and 2 together (the wrong 2 and 2!) and he is ready for vengeance against Angel.
  • holtz gets revenge!

another great episode! in this episode holtz reveals what he really wants from connor and how he used connor. connor is liking his dad more and more and wants to be part of him and holtz knows how to use connor with that. first he tells connor to live with angel and then he makes justine kill him for connor to believe it was angel and to make connor hate angel.

poor angel! it was so sad for him. wesley and lilah together were fabulous! and the episode was so well done! this is another episode why this season was so goood!!!
  • Conner and Holtz are back from Quortoth.

Ok, in the hell demension, time flows differently, right? So this explains why Conner is like 18(?), but Holtz looks like he is 80, or something. I mean he wasn't even 50 when he went to Quortoth, right? This is just odd to me. I think the writers are trying to emphasize how long they were there, but why does he look so old? Conner should be at least 30 if you think about it. This is just my opinion and observment. I just think they over did the make-up.And I also think they messed up when they made Holtz die the way he did. Unless Justine hit a major artery, he couldn't have died before Conner got there. Dosen't Conner has super speed?
  • Connor isn't the only one who comes back cause Holtz comes back too. Holtz know that the only way to have revange is with love and makes Justine kill him. this is just another powerful episode with great dialog and shocking end. just another Angel classic

Benediction

This episode gives me chills. The acting and writing is superb. This is probably the first and only episode where I find Holtz interesting. Holtz realised that he's loosing Connor to Angel because they have a band and Holtz know that the only way to do vengeance is not by hate but instead he does it with love. he makes Justine kill him and Connor thinks it's Angel who did it. this episode is really amazing.

cut to the hotel and Angel comes and tells the gang that he talked to Connor and they think they fought but it wasn't Connor. they are afraid something else came out and it's after Connor but Angel says he's strong enough and Angel is not afraid and says that Connor will come around when he realised he needs a father. cut to Connor and Holtz getting a room.

the credits start

cut to Connor going outside and he sees a man eating food out of a machine and he looks at it confused and brakes it. cut to Connor going to Holtz and he says how he came here and that Holtz shouldn't have followed him and they see on the papers that they were only gone for days. Holtz also knows that Connor came here to meet Angel and says it's normal and that he can go to Angel but he has to watch out cause the devil will show him bright colours. cut to the hotel and Fred is making a machine that will find whatever came through the portal and Cordy comes in and she needs to talk to Angel. cut to Cordy going into his ro and he's training and she says that he's doing the right thing and then he asks what if he never comes back.

cut to Lorne and Groo in the backyard and Groo talks to Lorne about Angel and Connor and then Lorne realised he's talking about himself and he knows Cordy is in love with Angel and then he tells Lorne to tell Cordy where he went but only if she asks. cut to Cordy and Angel talking together and Angel thought he was gonna do things with Connor before he hated him but Cordy says he doesn't even know him and he will come back because he's family. cut to Wes alone and he gets a mail to come to a place. cut to the hotel and Fred starts to click with the machine and arrives to Connor and he came by and gets introduced but doesn't like Lorne. everyone goes to do their own thing and Angel stays with Connor. then Cordy has a vision and tells Angel about a bar and Angel has to go and he says it's dangerous and he's gonna take Connor with him.

cut to Wesley arriving and he sees Lilah and she tells she arranged something and shows him Justine on the bar and she tipped some vampires and she asks him if he wants to see her get slaughtered and he says she doesn't know him and walks away but Lilah asks if he's gonna go to his car or warn her and he has to think about it and she's happy because she isn't wasting time on him and she will let her live but Wes says it's not necessary cause Angel came to save her. Justine sees Angel an wants to leave but the vampires grab her to kill her but Angel and Connor come to save her and start to fight together and Lilah and Wesley are watching and realise it's Connor. Angel tells Justine to leave while they finish the other vampires and only one escapes but Connor goes after it and Angel helps to kill him. and Angel is proud of him and they start to play and Holtz is seeing everything.

cut to Holtz seeing Connor and Connor says Angel was a beast but Holtz has seen his true face. cut to Cordy and Angel talking and Cordy says she saw it and she went back to her vision and she says it was beautiful. cut to Connor and Holtz again and he says that he has to go to Angel and that he has answers and that Connor wants it and Connor doesn't understand why he's doing this. Connor is mad and says he's wrong and walks out of the apartment and Gunn and Fred watch him and they think nothing came out but then they see Holtz. cut to Connor going to the hotel and there is Lorne and he hates the demons and then comes Cordy and she says that Lorne is a good guy and that she's part demon because she wanted to help people and then Connor grabs a knife and almost kills her but she starts to glow and destroys the knife and then she makes him glow and cleans him up and he starts to cry on her. Angel saw everything.

Cordy tells Angel that he was sick with Quer-Toth but she cleaned him now and Angel is very thankful. Angel goes over to Connor and says that this is his new home and Connor says he speaks like Holtz and then come Gunn and Fred to tell Angel about Hotlz. cut to Holtz opening a door and there is Justine. cut back to the hotel and Fred and Gunn are taking Connor to the sea while Angel is going over to Holtz and Cordy says he should kill Holtz but not to lie to his son but Angel goes anyway. cut to Justine and Holtz and she says she would do anything for him and he says that there is only one thing and that all the time his hate kept him alive and his hate turned into love. cut to Fred and Gunn and Connor going to the ocean and Connor never thought it was so empty and he goes to it and Fred and Gunn talk about Angel going to Holtz and Connor hears it and leaves.

cut to Cordy in the hotel and she thinks she sees Angel but runs over there and sees Groo. cut to Angel going to Holtz and Angel almost kills him but Holtz says he killed his family and that he changed and he loves his son. his vengeance is that every time Connor calls him father he will be reminded of what he took. he gives Angel a letter and says to give it to Connor and that he won't accept it at first but when he'll try to find him he never will. cut to Connor running while Angel reads the letter. He says it's time for Connor to go to Angel and that he'll find a better life and that he knows he prepared him good enough. cut to Holtz and Justine and she has to sent him to hell and she kills him and when Connor arrives at Holz place he finds Justine crying with Holtz' head and he thinks it's because of Angelus.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Gunn: Bro, you're hurt.
    Angel: I'm okay.
    Cordelia: You found him.
    Angel: Yeah.
    Cordelia: And?
    Angel: And - we talked.
    Cordelia: Looks to me like he likes to talk with his hands.

Angel: He survived Quor-toth this long. He can take care of himself.
    Fred: Okay. So he survived and unspeakable hell dimension. Who hasn't?

Connor: I found food in a big metal box outside. - Dad?
    Holtz: Oh, good boy. You got it. Now. Let's have a look at the date. Days. We've been gone only days.
    Connor: I don't like this place. So many people. It's not like home.
    Holtz: Quor-toth was never our home, son. It was our prison. I should have known that one day you'd find a way out.
    Connor: The cracks were there already. I just made the sluks show me. That's all.
    Holtz: Frightened rats, forced to flee to daylight. My boy's smart.
    Connor: You shouldn't have followed me here.
    Holtz: How could I not?
    Connor: I would have come back to you, after I killed him. I'm sorry I couldn't.
    Holtz: Of course you couldn't. It's not in you, son.
    Connor: I've killed lots!
    Holtz: Only when you had to, only to survive. And that's not the real reason why you worked so hard to get here. Connor: No.
    Holtz: It's alright son. There is no shame in it. I knew this day would come. That's why I never lied to you. I've always told you the truth about what you're parents were how you and I came to be together.
    Connor: God gave me to you.
    Holtz: Yes. God delivered me to you, that I'd keep you safe and lavish upon you all the love that I could never give my first children.
    Connor: Because he took them from you.
    Holtz: That's right.
    Connor: I wish I had killed him.
    Holtz: If you had, then you wouldn't be the boy I raised, or the man I know you'll be one day. There's more for you to learn, Steven, much more.
    Connor: And I want to.
    Holtz: Good. Then you must go to him.
    Connor: What?
    Holtz: Walk in his world, learn all you can. Discover what of him is in you that you might fight against it. But be on your guard. Remember what I've taught you. The devil will show you bright things, many colors.

Lorne: Hey. Something troubling you, bubby?
    Groo: Indeed. I am confused.
    Lorne: About what?
    Groo: Angel. His inaction puzzles me. When Connor was taken from him he moved heaven and Tarkna to try and win him back.
    Lorne: Yeah, he sure did. Hence our weekly scrubbing of the lobby floor.
    Groo: But now that his son is here, he does nothing.
    Lorne: Well, sometime nothing is the best something. If a thing is meant to be somethimes it is best to just let it happen rather than try to force it.
    Groo: But if a thing is meant to be then how can it be forced?
    Lorne: Well, I guess it can't.
    Groo: And if a thing is not meant to be?
    Lorne: Well, then it really can't. Just because someone hops a dimension or two is no guarantee that things will work out. - Well, aren't you just sneaky with the subtext?
    Groo: It is a beautiful day. If my princess asks, tell her I've gone for a walk. - If she asks.

Angel: He feels further away from me now than when he was first taken. All that time I don't think I ever really believed that I'd lost him - not really. Then he shows up again and I knew I had.
    Cordelia: It's only temporary.
    Angel: Yeah. Everything's temporary. There's just so much I thought we'd be able to do together before he, you know...
    Cordelia: Grew up?
    Angel: "Hated me.
    Cordelia: Angel, he doesn't hate you. He doesn't even know you. - But he will. He's gonna come back, Angel."
    Angel: How do you know?
    Cordelia: Because - he has to. Because he's family.

Angel: Hey.
    Connor: Hey. - I - ah, I thought I'd come by like you said.
    Angel: I'm glad you did. Everyone, ah, this is ah, this is Steven. Steven this is Fred, Gunn, Cordelia and that's Lorne.
    Lorne: Hello, young man.
    Angel: So, are we about done here?
    Fred: Oh! Yeah. I - I think we've covered everything.
    Gunn: Maybe we could take this outside.
    Fred: Yes. We should do a perimeter search then recalibrate for some wider areas.
    Angel: That would be a good idea.
    Fred: It was very nice to meet you, Steven.
    Lorne: Uhm, yeah, I - I have a thing.
    Cordelia: Yes, so, uhm, I just be sure to hold all your calls. You just - you guys take your time.
    Angel: Thanks.
    Angel: So... - You hungry?
    Connor: What do you have?
    Angel: We can go out.
    Cordelia: What!? Where?!
    Angel: Cordy.
    Cordelia: Angel! It's a bar! Vampires. A gang of them!
    Angel: Cordy...
    Cordelia: Angel, can you hear me!? I can see her. A woman. Angel! She's all alone. She doesn't see them. Angel, you have to hurry!
    Angel: Slow down.
    Cordelia: There is a woman at a bar there is a gang of vampires that are after her. You have to help her.
    Angel: So much for holding my call, huh?
    Cordelia: Sorry.
    Angel: Listen, uhm, - I - I, ah, have to go out for a while.
    Connor: It's okay.
    Angel: It's kind of my job.
    Connor: Yeah. Whatever.
    Angel: It could be kind of dangerous. There's a lot of killing and violence. You wanna come?

Lilah: I see you got my invitation.
    Wesley: Lilah. Obviously.
    Lilah: I thought the 'come alone' was a particularly ironic touch. I mean, how else would you come? Don't rush off. Just look over there. I went to a lot of trouble to arrange this little show for you.
    Wesley: Good bye.
    Lilah: Okay, but leave now and you'll miss her big death scene. Don't tell me you wouldn't like to see the bitch that slit your throat and left you to die get a little of her own back.'
    Wesley: What's going on here, Lilah?
    Lilah: Some source - can't imagine who - tipped her off that tonight this place would be filthy with vampires. Which, as it turns out, is true.
    Wesley: Right. Because that same source tipped off the vampires that she would be here.
    Lilah: Seems she has been pissing off a lot of undead Americans lately.
    Wesley: And you thought I'd enjoy a box seat for her slaughter.
    Lilah: Well - yeah.
    Wesley: You really don't know the first thing about me, do you?
    Lilah: Probably not. Like, will he go straight to his car, or will he stop to warn her first? He has to think about it. That's good. That's all I really needed to know. You can go.
    Wesley: A test Lilah?
    Lilah: Oh, don't look so grim. I just needed to know whether or not I was wasting my time. And to prove we're still friends, I'll have her pulled out of there before anything really lethal happens. That way you don't have to torture yourself as to whether or not you did the right thing.
    Wesley: I don't think that will be necessary.
    Angel: Well, you wanted to kill a vampire. This might be your chance. Here take this. Just make sure that when you use that thing go straight for...
    Connor: ...the heart. I know. My father taught me.
    Angel: Yeah, I'm sure he did. Look, there are a lot of innocent people in here. Just don't go nailing anybody until they show their game face, okay?
    Connor: Will it look like yours did?
    Angel: Yeah.
    Connor: So why do you do it?
    Angel: Do what?
    Connor: Why kill them if they're like you?
    Angel: They're not like me, Connor.
    Connor: I'm not Connor.
    Bartender: Ready for another?
    Angel: Just stay right there.
    Justine: No, I'm done.
    Bartender: You're not wrong.
    Vamp: She thinks she's a Slayer.
    Bartender: She's about to learn different.
    Angel: Nice... Ah, take the one on the...Well, yeah. That-that makes more sense.
    Lilah: Who's the boy wonder? He moves just like...
    Wesley: ...his father.
    Angel: Go. Get out of here. Go!
    Lilah: Now tell me you're not interested.
    Angel: They don't need to breathe or make any sound. You gotta be careful. - You know you were - you were good in there. I mean, normally I'd take you to a ballgame, or a museum, or - something. But it's - it's good to know that you can handle yourself in a fight. It's good to know you can do that, too.

Connor: Father. - He was everything that you said. He tried to trick me. Thought that he could deceive me by saving people. It didn't work. I've seen his true face.
    Holtz: And I've seen yours.

Angel: The kid was born for it. The way he anticipated, I'm telling you, it's in his blood.
    Cordelia: You don't say.
    Angel: There we were and it was like we had never been apart. He felt it, too. I know he did. You should have seen us together.
    Cordelia: I did.
    Angel: What do you mean, you did?
    Cordelia: Ah - after you left, I went back into my vision.
    Angel: You went back in?
    Cordelia: Don't ask me how. I don't know if it is part of my new semi-demoness, or - or if they just let me go back in. But I was there. I saw the whole thing, you and your son together. It was beautiful.

Connor: Stop saying that!
    Holtz: It is true, son.
    Connor: You're wrong!
    Holtz: I'm not wrong. Anyone who saw you together would realize - that's where you're meant to be - at his side.
    Connor: No!
    Holtz: It was your need for him that drove you across the dimension.
    Connor: I don't need him!
    Holtz: Go back to him, Steven.
    Connor: Why are you doing this? Why? God gave me to you.
    Holtz: Yes. It was god's plan for us to be together. Nothing will ever persuade me otherwise. But now it's time for me to give you back.
    Connor: He's a demon.
    Holtz: And you're the bastard son of two demons.
    Connor: Then I'm a demon.
    Holtz: You're not. God help me, I don't know what you are, but I'm not the one to give you answers, and there are answers. Go and find them out.

Angel: How do you feel?
    Cordelia: Okay. Drained. But okay.
    Lorne: Well, you got some serious mojo going on, girl. Whatever deal you struck with the Powers, it looks to me like they gave you the full package - all the extras. That kid was toxic when he came here tonight. Heavy on the 'ick'.
    Angel: What actually happened out there?
    Lorne: In my professional opinion? Well, Miss demon-y britches here gave that child some kind of 'soul colonic'. Flushed him out but good.
    Angel: Flushed what out?
    Cordelia: It was that place, Quor-toth. It crept into every part of him. He was sick with it.
    Angel: When Fred was taking her readings...
    Lorne: He nearly broke the needle. My guess? She wouldn't even get so much as a click off him now.
    Angel: Thank you. Thank you for doing this for him.
    Cordelia: I know what it was like for him there, the darkness and the confusion. He thought it was where he belonged.
    Angel: Hey, pal. How 're you doing?
    Connor: I might have tried to kill your friend.
    Angel: Yeah, well - she's used to it.
    Connor: I think I should go.
    Angel: Look - why don't you just - stay here? - I know it doesn't feel like it yet - but this could be home for you.
    Connor: I don't have a home.
    Angel: That's not true. You just don't remember, that's all. - Your home is here. This is where you're supposed to be, son.
    Connor: You speak as though you're my father.
    Angel: Well...
    Connor: He said the same thing. He said, we came back for a reason.
    Angel: Did he?

Angel: I told him you two were going to take him out, spend some time with him.
    Gunn: And he's good with that?
    Angel: Yeah, he seems to be.
    Fred: Where do you want us to take him?
    Angel: Some place were this world isn't as ugly as he thinks it is.
    Gunn: How long you need?
    Angel: A couple of hours should do it.'
    Gunn: Hey, uhm, what if he asks where you're at?
    Angel: Don't tell him.
    Cordelia: Wait. Angel, before you go we have to do that thing.
    Angel: What thing?
    Cordelia: That thing we do. You know that thing where I say 'are you sure you know what you're doing, Angel, please think about this' and then you ignore me and rush head long into trouble?
    Angel: Right. That thing. - Okay, are we done?
    Cordelia: Angel, please think about this. In fact, don't go there at all.
    Angel: I have to.
    Cordelia: I know. But don't."
    Angel: I'm not gonna kill him even though he deserves it.
    Cordelia: Oh, I don't care if you kill him. He stole Connor's childhood, so kill him. But don't lie to your son. He's been here like a day. Way to build the trust.
    Angel: I'm not lying to him.
    Cordelia: No, you're just sending him off to be distracted while you go confront the man he thinks of as his father."
    Angel after a beat: "I'm his father.

Justine: Before you there was nothing. I was dead. They'd taken my sister. They'd taken a part of me. You gave me a reason again - even if it was all lies.
    Holtz: Not all.
    Justine: I still think I'd do anything for you. I'd have followed you into hell if you would have let me.
    Holtz: Thank god you didn't.
    Justine: I can't believe you survived it. - How did you?
    Holtz: My hate kept us alive.
    Justine: Hate gets a bad rap. It can keep you going sometimes when nothing else will.
    Holtz: Yes. I found I had to stay alive that I might pass on my legacy of hate. But something happened in that place, Justine, something changed. Amidst the most unspeakable ugliness the hate turned into love. Love for a son. Hate is not enough. I found that love is far more powerful. Now there is just one thing I need you to do for me and then I can finally be done with vengeance.

Connor: What is it?
    Gunn: The ocean. Pacific.
    Connor: Ocean. My father taught me about oceans. He never said it was so...
    Fred: Big?
    Connor: Empty.
    Fred: It's not. It's just all under the surface. A whole 'nother world actually.
    Connor: Everything's so different here.
    Fred: I know how you feel. I got lost once like you. - When I came back nothing seemed real. Like I was seeing everything from the bottom of the ocean.
    Connor: I don't remember being lost.
    Gunn: Ah, Steven? Yo!
    Fred: Maybe we should just give him a minute. I wish Angel was here.
    Gunn: Yeah. His kid seeing the ocean for the first time, too bad he had to miss it.
    Fred: That's not what I meant. I just - feel sort of creepy, keeping him busy and distracted while Angel...
    Gunn: Confronts the kidnapper?
    Fred: Well, if you're gonna put it like that. - What do you think he'll do?
    Gunn: I don't know. I know what I'd do. But Angel will deal with Holtz in his own way.
    Fred: Uh-oh.
    Gunn: No way. He couldn't have heard us.
    Fred: He did.

Holtz: I can't recall - would you require an invitation for a place like this?
    Angel: Public accommodation? No.
    Holtz: No. You'd think I'd remember something like that. It would have seemed important once. Details begin to escape me.
    Angel: You stole my son.
    Holtz: I kept your son alive. You murdered mine.
    Angel: I was different then.
    Holtz: Yes. So was I. - You feel remorse. You feel remorse yet you can't express it.
    Angel: You want me to say I'm sorry? How can I? It wouldn't mean a thing.
    Holtz: It would mean a little. Not much, but it would be something.
    Angel: Then I'm sorry. For whatever little it might mean. It's all I've got.
    Holtz: Not all. - You had a son. - So - there it is. I thought by depriving you of that son it would allow me some measure of justice. I was wrong.
    Angel: Taking Connor from me was never justice. It was vengeance.
    Holtz: Or maybe vengeance is what I do now. Give back what I took.
    Angel: What?
    Holtz: I'm an old man now. I have nothing to offer the boy. You can give him what I can't - his purpose. But every time you look upon his face - every time he calls you 'father' - you will be reminded of that which you took and can never give back. - And if that is vengeance, I find I have no taste for it. All I ask is that you give him this. It's not sealed. I expect you'll examine it. You should.
    Angel: Why are you doing this.
    Holtz: I thought I'd made that plain. I love my son. And this is the only way I know to ensure that he will go on loving me. He won't accept this at first. He'll try to find me. - He never will.

Holtz: Dearest Steven, this is a most difficult letter for me to write. You mean more to me than anything in this world or any other. But your best interests must come first, which is why by the time you receive this, I will be gone. I hope one day you will be able to forgive an old man's weakness, which compels him to say these things in a letter. But to attempt a good-bye in your presence would be impossible for me. I fear I would never let you go. And I must let you go. I know that if I didn't you would only end up hating me. And that I could not bear.

Justine: Don't make me do it. I can't.
    Holtz: We already know you can. You promised. You said you'd do anything for me. Come on, Justine. I'm not asking you to follow me into hell. Just help send me there. Do it!

Holtz: Your destiny lies with Angel. I know that now. You will have a better life with him. I'm comforted by that certainty and the knowledge that with him you will discover your true purpose and come to know who it is you are meant to be.
    Holtz: Steven.
    Angel: Connor.
    Connor: Dad! Dad?
    Holtz: My only prayer is that I have prepared you well enough for whatever lies ahead. I trust that I have. Be brave. Lovingly, your father.
    Connor: Angelus.

Story: 10
    Acting: 10
    Writing: 10
    Picture: 10
    Gripping: 10
    My Rank: 10
    Total: 10
  • This review is of the Angel-Connor-alikeness.

During this episode, we learn just how much like Angel that Connor really is. Like his father, he is super-powerful, has super-hearing, and can even jump like a vampire. Plus, he\'s extremely stubborn. But the one thing that really ties them together is the fact that both of them had the will to make their ways out of hell dimensions. Angel made his way out of Acathla(In the episode of Buffy, Beauty and the Beasts) and Connor from Quortath. Lilah says they are just like eachother in the episode of Angel, Habeas Corpses, but doesn't know how literal it is.