Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Feb 12, 2003 on The WB

• Maybe Holtz was right?

CALVARY

The Good;

Angelus is so evil and conniving you wonder if Holtz and co had a point? Altogether a great episode with so many wonderful scenes

The Bad;

?

Best line:

Cordelia; (stabbing Lilah) "Why do you think I let him out you stupid bitch?"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Some nastily implied racism when Angelus goads Gunn (Liam of course was also pretty racist to Gunn and Wesley in 'Spin the Bottle'). The vamps killing the firemen is also nasty but worst of all the tragedy of the vamped little girl, you realise why Holtz killed his daughter.

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche;

Fred wants to continue her relationship with Gunn after she learns of Wes and Lilah. But he turns her down, obviously been getting lessons in quiet dignity from the Groo (Riley could have done with some).

In disguise; 8

Angel; 41 vamps, 57 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 8 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 12 demons+3 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Fred; 3 vamp+ 1 demon, 5 zombies

Connor; 12 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 demons

Fang Gang go evil: CC and how!

Cordy: 3

Angel: 3

Alternate Fang Gang:

Cordy: 4

Angel: 10

Fred; 2

Characters killed:

Recurring characters killed; alas poor Lilah, she was evil but I always felt there was hope for her.

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations:

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes, CC

Angel Investigations shot: Angelus by Lilah (if she still had her pistol why not use that when Wes enters her hideaway?). CC takes an arrow

Angel: 12

Wes; 1

Packing heat; Gunn with the flamethrower we saw in 'Dad'

Wes; 7

Doyle; 1

Angel; 3

Gunn; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost: Interestingly it's Gunn who breaks up with Fred rather than the other way around

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah

Gunn; 1 Fred

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Angelus threatens to rape Fred to death. He also tells an aghast Fred about Wes and Lilah. Angelus thinks Lilah wears a thong.

Captain Subtext;

Angelus thinks Wes is quite the dish 'if I swung that way'. Lilah comments that Lorne's suits make him look like Liberace. Lilah calls Fred 'honey' and asks if CC is trying to 'turn her on?'.

Know the face, different character; 4

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

What the fanficcers thought; read an interesting one once where Angelus wipes AI out but then Dru get's resouled and forms her own heroic gang with Lilah, Kate, Gwen, Oz, Justine, Bethany, Ethan Rayne etc

Questions and observations;

Interestingly in this ep we're told a soul can be destroyed which I didn't think was possible. We learn that Angel always suspected that Gunn killed Sidel. The soul-stealer was buried by the Chumash who are the American Indian tribe also featured in 'Pangs'. Nice scene with Connor and Gunn bonding during the digging. Well, hands up who saw this twist coming? Liars! Shocking an all pretty damn brilliant. But you know what, it only get's better from now on! Nice scene at the end where CC and Lilah almost seem to bond a little. Lilah's 'he killed the...' speech appears to be part inspired by 'The Usual Suspects', could the Beast be in fact Keyser Soze? Or is that CC?

Marks out of 10; 9/10

• Angelus, The Beast, and something worse.

As if The Beast and all his actions hadn't been bad enough but now with Angelus and this something worse in the mix things are looking seriously apocolyptic. While Angelus still manages to stir up all kinds of trouble with his words Cordelia recieves of a vision for the powers that will restore his soul. But something is most certainly amiss, especially when she lets Angel out of the cage and he knocks her unconscious. It's defenitely still Angelus. Everyone chases after him all ready to kill or be killed but Angelus doubles back, giving him the oppurtunity to take out Lilah and Cordelia. But Cordelia beats him to the punch and kills Lilah revealing that she was fully aware of the fact that she was letting out Angelus when she let Angel out of the cage. Somebody's most defenitely the evil master of the beast. I was completely shocked, I mean I had suspected for a couple episodes that something wasn't totally right with Cordy but I never expected this. It just didn't seem possible, it's Cordelia.
  • The Beast.. has a boss.

Calvary is an outstanding episode and one that I think is shamefully underrated- it would definitely make my Top 15! Every minute is excellent and it is what I consider the second or third best episode this season- behind "Orpheus" and maybe "Spin The Bottle". It is highly suspenseful and kept me gripped from start to finish!

Lilah returning was of course brilliant. I'm a huge fan of Wolfram and Hart's leading lady and she is, in my opinion, the best villain in the Buffyverse and that's saying something. Buffy and Angel have some absolutely amazing villains- Angelus, Glory, Drusilla etc.- but Lilah's my favourite of them all. Why? She's manipulative, in it for herself, incredibly intelligent, has no concsience and above all human which means Angel won't kill her. She's played to perfect by Stephanie Romanov and I was really sad to see her die here- we only have 3 more episodes of Lilah brillianc left!

I really enjoyed her entrance as well- she's no longer the well groomed, immaculate girl she once was but is unkempt and clearly not loving life on the run! Angelus goading her was good too- she may be his ticket out of his cell but he still isn't going to be polite. It also brought her relationship with Wesley back to the spotlight- just as Wes seems to be getting the girl of his dreams, his ex comes back and Fred learns they've been sleeping together, resulting in Wesley having to wait over a year to be that close to Fred again! I was glad it was revealed though as I don't think Wesley deserved Fred yet- his actions towards her relationship with Gunn prove that. I'm glad Gunn dumped Fred though and not vice versa- shes in the wrong IMO. Lilah delivered some truly funny lines here and I loved that she spoke her mind so completely and shook up the group.

However, Lilah related excellence isn't the only reason I loved this episode. The whole "Master of The Beast" thing was done brilliantly and kept me wondering (on first watch) who it was the entire episode. Everything seemed to be coming together here- they have discovered parts of the boss' plans and their actions so far. It was done incredibly and that last moment where it's revealed Cordelia- the champion and woman Angel loves- is this terrible thing was a masterstroke. It's one of the biggest shocks in the entire show and her killing Lilah was a great way to tell the audience who it is. Calvary is an episode that will keep you guessing and gripped right to the shocker ending that will blow your mind. It's a brilliant episode and should not under any circumstances be missed.
  • Calvary

Calvary was a perfectly entertaining episode of Angel. I really enjoyed watching this episode which was full of dramatic intrigue, supernatural action, and surprising revelations. I think there was definitely some character development for Cordelia, Lilah, and the rest of the Gang who have to deal with Angelus. I really enjoyed watching Angelus find his openings and take shots at who ever was watching him. I thought it was interesting that Lilah is now staying at the hotel after the Beast killed every one from Wolfram & Hart. I thought the ending of this episode was shocking and definitely leaves me wanting to know more. I can't wait to watch the next episode!!!!!!!
  • A Soul Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

Calvary-The gang try to re-ensoul Angel, but his soul is missing, and they must find a way to get it back. Meanwhile, Lilah tries to strike a deal with Angelus.

With Angel's soul missing, the dilemma at hand makes for series of unforseen events! First, Lilah returns and is a reck, though she is hilarious throughout this hour as she interacts with the gang. Her scenes with Wesley always great and here are no exception. Also, the reason behind Angel not remembering his early meeting with the Beast is interesting development. There are also some nifty scenes like Gunn and Connor battling the Soul Eater, which had some great effects. Speaking of Connor, his kill Angelus banter got old and he needed to shup up for a while! Anyway, the Angelus scenes continue to be great as he continues to shake up the group. It's sad scene when Gunn and Fred break up, then there's Angel telling Fred about Wesley and Lilah. The scene where they bring Angel's soul back has some great special effect, but even greater with the fake-out when Angel never gets his soul back and escapes the hotel. Angelus attack on Lilah and Cordelia is very suspensful as you actually worry about Lilah. The episode ends with biggest twist of the season yet, Cordelia kills our old Lilah which means she's the Beastmaster and the bigger bad that Angelus told the gang about! Which explains Cordelia's slightly strange attitude this season. It's a very brutal death scene for Lilah and sad that such a great evil character like her had to go though. All and All, a great episode with a lot of great scenes and a shocking revelation.
  • Cordelia is revealed to be evil.

Calvary
    We start off with Wo-Pang… again. He's tossing some bones… again and his bodyguard is knocked out… again. But this time Wesley doesn't try to fool us because that'll make him look lam(er) in front of Connor and Cordelia. Nice. They chat it up with Wo-Pang accusing him of stealing the Jar o' soul. But he didn't steal it, didn't he Cordelia!? He explains to them (and to us) that no jar = no soul. And they're basically "screwed". Heh. Gunn and Fred. Gunn's being all negative (as always) while filling up his flame-thrower (?) with gasoline in a can largely labeled "Gasoline"… we're not that stupid. Gunn and Fred talk about de-souled Angel who hears everything. Super hearing remember? Apparently he heard the loud smack that Gunn's elbow colliding with Fred's mouth made. Angelus goads Gunn and after everything Gunn still falls for it.

Hey it's Lilah! Eew. She's looking severely haggard. Angelus makes fun of her which is quite funny. Lilah brings up a good question, "Why is [the Beast] picking on [Wolfram & Hart]?" I don't think they ever answered that.

Back to Gunn and Fred… turgid supernatural soap-opera indeed. Heh. The rest of the gang is back, interrupting Gunn and Fred's break-up. That was easy. Gunn sees Lilah and shoos her away. Connor passes the "connected to the Beast" blame to Lilah and now is all judgmental about it. Loser. How did you survive this long being so retarded? Hee! Angel tells the gang that the Beast has a boss. Creepy.

Wesley follows Lilah into an underground restroom (?) where Lilah has been living. Aww poor Lilah. And he decides to take Lilah the stray home to the rest of the gang hoping that they'll let him keep her. The welcoming is obviously not that warm. They fill her in, and Cordelia's ears perk up when Wesley mentions the textbook that Cordelia wasn't able to alter. They put two and two together and they finally explain why Angelus was able to remember the Beast and not Angel. Nice. Though I'm not quite convinced that Angel and Angelus have two different minds. Gunn heads off to the basement and stays quiet instead of yakking up Angelus and annoying him instead of the other way around. Hee. Angelus is Evil and racist. The truth comes out! Angel knew about Prof. Siddell. But he didn't know the specifics until Gunn filled in the gaps. Stupid! Fresley do some research. Fred mentions the Orb of Thesulah! I ♥ Continuity :hearts:. She then can't wait to let her admirer know that she's not with Gunn anymore. Dang, girl… ever hear of a mourning period. Thankfully Evil and Eviler interrupt and Lilah is sooo jealous. Lorne enters with bad news. Hee! "Succu-b!tch". Ain't nobody knows where Angel's soul is, prompting Lilah to make me love her more by saying:

Lilah: Forget about the goody-goody. You want to kill the Beast and give his boss a run for his evil? The answer is downstairs in a cage-sick Angelus on him. Cordelia: Do you know what Angelus would do if we let him out? Lilah: Kill you all in a bloody shower of violence, but hey- greater good. :lol:

Cordy has a "vision" (apparently she borrowed Storm's contact lenses) It's souling time. Or so they all (except for Cordelia) think. Angelus is freaked… Lilah is awesome… Fred has the worst comebacks ever... and Cordelia launches Angelus across the cage with a flick of her hand… I guess she's a witch now. Mojo galore. I just now noticed that the talisman each of them were holding repelled the energy that "re-ensouled" Angelus. Cool. Did it work? Notsomuch. Angelus does a great impression of Angel which gets Cordelia knocked out and locked in a cage... That was her plan all along. That way Angelus couldn't get to her and kill her. Angelus starts to break character and escapes. Heh. The gang goes after Angelus leaving a gun toting Lilah attending to injured Cordy (?). Connor sniffs out Angelus on foot while Fred, Gunn, and Wesley follow him in Gunn's truck. Man, how uncomfortable must that have been?

Gunn: Uh… Angelus sure did fool us, huh?
    (Wesley's elbow touches Fred's and Fred quickly pulls away.)
    Fred: Uh, Yeah.
    Wesley: So… you guys broke up?

Angelus terrorizes the women just like in every scary movie ever made. This ain't Buffy so it's allowed. Lilah limps her way through the Hyperion and is grabbed by the throat… uh-oh she's a goner. But wait it's only Cordy. Lilah: He's gonna kill us. Cordelia: I know.
    (she stabs Lilah in the neck with the Beast-bone knife)
    Cordelia: Why do you think I let him out? You stupid b!tch.

Hey, wait! Cordy's Evil!!! Awesome.

Ah, Lilah you will sorely be missed.
  • And the hits just keep on comin'

The gang is in scramble mode trying to re-ensoul their fanged leader. It aint gonna be a picnic either. That soul is missing for a reason and we will soon find out exactly who has their hands on it and why. But first...Lilah makes a surprise visit to Angelus (via the sewer) in the basement. She has crowbar in hand and seems to be about to play lets make a deal. The gang sees her on the cam and rushes down to intercept, but she runs off with Wes in pursuit. Wes catches her and she informs him she wasnt really trying to free Angelus but she wanted to make the beast pay for all he had taken. She has a book with info on the beast, which perplexes Wes who has the same book. She got hers on the pandimesional black market. They figure that the beast is trying to hide something. The rest of the crew is finding that very thing out from Angelus who tells them that the beasty has a boss. *SURPRISE* On a sadder note, Fred and Gunn break up for real. Wes was about to make his move (i think) when Angelus lets the cat out of the bag about Lilah and Wes sleeping together.
    Cordy has a vision of how to re-ensoul Angelus and sends Connor and Gunn for ingredients. We *think* the spell worked but we are very wrong. Angel who is still Angelus knocks Cordy out in the basement and heads upstairs. He makes a big show about going out to fight evil and takes off. The gang sees unconscious Cordy in the camera and gear up to hunt him down. Cordy and Lilah stay behind and Angelus doubles back to the hotel ready to kill. He hits Cor with an arrow and pursues Lilah through the hotel. Lilah is hiding when an arm grabs her, its Cordy and she stabs her in the neck. Who saw that coming?????
  • Wesley is busted!! Angelus rats him out about banging Lilah to Fred.

We all know at this point that Cordy is evil but it finally gets revealed at the end of the episode just to confirm it to anyone that still doubted it. The way she kills Lilah is classic and gets repeated over and over during the "previously on Angel" segments. Angelus is still mean and manipulative. His speech to Gunn is a serious foreshadow of things to come in Season 5 but of course when I originally watched this episode I had no idea about that. I really never thought of him as being insecure about being the muscle but since he was competing for Fred it makes sense. Lorne's attitude towards Lilah is hilarious. :)
  • the hunting party

...for aangelus that is. lilah is back and that makes the episode brilliant! lilah rocks! what was annoyin is when they let angelus out of the cage believing he was angel again. how stupid are you people! but it was cordelia who tricked them all or at least the thing that is controlling cordelia. the episode was pretty good and gory more than usual. i loved the big unexpected moment at the end when cordelia is the one who turns out to be the evil beeyoch who is doing everything. i felt really bad for lilah tho!
  • Lilah Morgan, need I say more?

From the episode where we got introduced with Lilah till this one I've always loved here, she was just such a great character and the end of this episode was just shocking. Coredelia being bad and Lilah being killed...

I never liked Connor and I hated Cordelia for sleeping with him, the continuation explaings this a little bit but that still doesn't make me like it. It would have been nicer if Connor had never been introduced.

Lilah saves this episode, whenever she is in an episode it's almost always a good one, I loved her kicking ass and at the last moment still trying to work with Angelus.

R.I.P. Lilah Morgan :P although death is never the end in Buffy or Angel.
  • Not season 4 at it's best but still pretty good. The weak thing is that it feels unecessary and Angelus is not as mean as in Soulles. The good thing is that Lilah is finally back and the very unexpected twist at the end.

Calvary

What I loved about the episode was Lilah was back and of course Angelus keeping on. But I don't think this is one of Angels best episodes. It could have been better and it seemed like going on forever. The end was a very big surprise though, damn those bastards killed Lilah!

cut to the monk again and he is doing some magic and the people arrive there and they ask about Angel's soul but he doesn't know where it is and they have to destroy the bottle where the soul is. Cut to the hotel where Angelus is in his cage and Gunn and Fred know about his soul is missing. Angelus is hearing and he knows that Fred likes Wes and Gunn gets tired of hearing him. Cut to the cage and Lilah comes there with a tool.

the credits start

Lilah goes to Angelus and she wants him to stop him and he doesn’t want to but she wants him to and Lilah is upset and that The Beast killed everyone except her. Angelus says her life is crap but she says she isn't in the box. Cut to Fred and Gunn and he says he wouldn't have hit her and he knows that they were kissing because she let it. He says it's not enough and he's tired of her looking everywhere but at him. Then Gunn sees Lilah and they go down and Wes goes after Lilah. The gang talks and they think she has a connection with the beast. Cut to Wes arriving to Lilah's place. She says she can't make her wound stop and she's bleeding again. Lilah says she wasn’t gonna release him and she wants her life back. She wants to make it pay and Wes sees the book with The Beast and he says that only that passage is identical. Wes thinks something removed his passage.

Cut to the hotel and they think the Beast has minions and Angelus says that it's the minions and he says that there is something bigger than the Beast because it has a boss. Angelus says that there is something he he's dying to find it out. Cut to Wes and Lilah coming home and she says she got lucky cause Wes saved her. The rest say that there is something bigger and Wes has the copy of Lilah and that Angel's memory was cleaned while Gunn goes downstairs. Angelus likes his strength and he likes that Gunn doesn't want to change because he knows his place and that they really let everything go bad and he says that his woman dumped it and he says it's her choice and Angelus knows that it happened after the professor and Angelus finds out that Gunn was the one who did it. And he pisses him out and Gunn almost burns him.

Cut to Fred and Wesley and he says they will find a way. Wes says that what happened isn't what he wanted and Fred tells Wesley and she isn't together with Gunn anymore. Wes tries to kiss her but then Cordy and Lilah come. Wes is going down again and Lorne arrives and he didn't find anything and he doesn't know why Lilah is there. And Lilah is mad and she goes upstairs and makes Cordy upset and she says she's sad because she has fear. Then Cordy has a vision and she says she knows how to put Angel's soul back. Cut to Fred coming down and Angelus talks about Fred and she has a big mouth against him and he says that Wes is handsome except that he banged Lilah and Fred doesn't want to hear about it and she goes upstairs.

Cut to Connor and Gunn taking something out the ground and they need it to get Angel's soul back. It comes out and attacks Gunn but Connor tries to kill it but it comes out and it moves real fast and it hits Gunn and it tries to suck Connor but Gunn whacks it into pieces and then they take his head and they have to have Angel back. Cut to the Beast in a place praying to the boss and he's with some sword thingy. Cut the hotel and Connor comes with the skull of the monster and she has to have the skull. And Lilah comes back and Lorne hates her and leaves. Lilah says she always ends up in the winning team and then Fred comes and she says Cordy had a questions and leaves. Cut to the attic and Angelus says that this never ending good and Connor says he's sounding desperate. And Cordy doesn't care and then they begin to do the spell and he continues trying to change their minds and it takes him up and his soul returns.

Angel has his soul again and he's happy and he says he's so sorry and he has to sing for Lorne and he does and he says it's Angel but he doesn't want to get out because it might change and he does a speech and they will get through it and he gives everyone a job and they all leave except for Cordy. She doesn't want to listen because he is staying inside and she says he's not Angelus and they need him to come out. Then she opens the door but then he grabs her and vamps and she hits him and she knocks herself out inside the cage and then Angelus goes out. Fred is alone and he goes over to her and she says she's sorry and he can use a drink. Then she hears something and he disappears. cut to Wes and Lilah and they see Angel and he has to go out to save the world.

Fred asks about Cordy and they see her and they have to go out and she stays with Lilah and they have to kill Angelus. Cut to Angelus outside and everyone is already dead or a vampire. Cordy and Lilah don't understand and then Angelus arrives and he attacks them and Lilah shoots at him and Cordy too and he sticks something in her and Cordy falls. Cut to Lilah escaping and Angelus goes after her. Cut to the gang and they cannot find Angelus so they realised that he went back to the hotel. Cut back and Lilah is running through the hall but then he attacks her and she wants to work with him but he says she isn't tough anymore and he wants to be in the other team but then she hits him off stairs and she runs but then Cordy grabs her and she kills Lilah with a knife 'Why do you think I let him out you stupid bitch'.

Black Out
    Best episode quotes:

Angelus: Awfully quiet up there. I've had time to think, and I've realized something important. Being evil is wrong. I want to be good. I want to be Angel again. You hear me? I'm ready!
    Gunn: I'm ready too, fang boy.
    Fred: He knows, doesn't he? That his soul's missing.
    Gunn: Probably knew before we did.
    Fred: I hope that shaman can help us.
    Gunn: That shaman should never have been brought here. Now, instead of just worrying about the big bad Rocky, we got Darth Vampire living in the basement.
    Fred: Bringing Angelus was our best chance.
    Gunn: That you talking, or Wes?
    Fred: You were pushing for it too, Charles.
    Gunn: Then maybe I did the wrong thing.
    Angelus: Like smacking your girl around? I betcha Wes would never hit her. He's all proper and English. And that accent-Oh, chicks just love a good accent. Makes 'em all buttery in their nether regions. Isn't that right, Fred? You know, I had a bit of an Irish brogue back in the day. If you'd like, I could use it on you when I rape you to death... or-
    Gunn: Son of a bitch.
    Fred: He's just- It's just words.
    Gunn: Yeah.
    Fred: And that's the only way he can hurt us. He knows he's never getting out.

Lilah: The great Angelus.
    Angelus: Oh, come on. You can do better than that. Try playing up the awe and the reverence a bit. "The great Angelus."
    Lilah: Great- being locked in a cage.
    Angelus: Yet managing to display better grooming habits than you. Look at yourself, Lilah. All these years wanting to meet me. Couldn't run a comb through your hair, maybe slap on a little lipstick. Evil doesn't have to mean sloppy.
    Lilah: Stop it.
    Angelus: Ooh. Feeling touchy, are we?
    Lilah: The Beast. I want you to stop it.
    Angelus: Oh. Not sure I really want to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the horn job, although he did bring on permanent midnight. Gotta give him props for that.
    Lilah: Can you do it, or not?
    Angelus: Mmm, why is your thong in such a bunch, counselor. You're a professional.
    Lilah: Working the sewers. Beast took everything. Killed them all.
    Angelus: It's all the damage. He does have a flair for it.
    Lilah: Not just at the office. Everybody. Field ops. Liaisons. People out sick that day. But not me. Not yet. Why is he picking on us? We're the bad guys!
    Angelus: Apparently, not bad enough. But there is a bright side- you have a devoted boyfriend who loves and cares- oh, wait. You don't. Your life really is crap.
    Lilah: And yet, I'm not the monkey in the box. I want that thing destroyed. You're the only one who can do it.
    Angelus: Maybe... we can work something out.

Lilah: You're a son of a bitch, you know that?
    Wesley: When I said "go underground," I didn't think you'd- Is that where the Beast?
    Lilah: I can't make it stop.
    Wesley: I could take a look at it.
    Lilah: Uh, I'm fine.
    Wesley: How did you know we had Angelus?
    Lilah: Big magic, taking a champion's soul. Makes ripples. I still know some people that like ripples. That was your idea- to bring him? Great minds...
    Wesley: Aren't foolish enough to release him.
    Lilah: I wasn't.
    Wesley: So the crowbar...?
    Lilah: I had to make him believe I was desperate.
    Wesley: Not much of a stretch, really, is it? And you always wanted Angelus.
    Lilah: No, Wolfram and Hart did, but it doesn't matter anymore. I just- I just want my life back. All my pretty things. I'm selfish that way. That's why we wouldn't have worked out.
    Wesley: There are many reasons we wouldn't have worked out, Lilah. Rhinehardt's Compendium.
    Lilah: I need to find a way to make it pay.
    Wesley: I already checked. There's nothing in here that even remotely... describes... him. It's identical to my copy except for this passage. How is that possible?
    Lilah: It's not a local copy. Pulled some favors, got it on the pan-dimensional black market.
    Wesley: But still- should be the exact same text. Unless...
    Lilah: Unless, what?
    Wesley: Well, we'd have to check more books from other dimensions, but what if there were other references to the Beast at one time that had somehow been removed. What would something that powerful need to hide?

Gunn: Lilah or not, something is doing the Beast's dirty work.
    Cordelia: It would explain how giant lava boy could tiptoe past us to take out Manny.
    Connor: And butcher that family, those priestesses.
    Fred: Even though Lilah's evil, I don't see her hacking up all those people.
    Gunn: OK, maybe it's not just her. Maybe...maybe the big bad Beast had minions doing his dirty work.
    Angelus: Morons. The big rock doesn't have minions. It is the minion.
    Fred: No, it's not. We've seen what it can do.
    Angelus: You've just seen the warm-up act.
    Cordelia: What are you saying?
    Angelus: I'm saying there's something bigger. Something worse. The Beast has a boss.
    Gunn: Worse than the Beast?
    Cordelia: That's- that's not possible.
    Angelus: How did you survive this long being so retarded?
    Gunn: Cut the fu-manchu. What do you know?
    Angelus: Quite a bit, bright boy. Maybe I'll fill in the blanks sometime.
    Connor: How do you know there's something worse than the Beast?
    Angelus: 'Cause I have a brain, son. The Beast I knew was big into smash and slaughter. Had the brawn to be really good at it too, but the big picture- not his strong point. But whoa! Flash forward. Now he's all rain of fire, destroying the Ra-Tet, blotting out the sun. Big moves for a guy whose head is made out of rock.
    Cordelia: Maybe he got smarter.
    Angelus: And maybe I'll sprout some wings and flutter away. There's something else out there- more powerful, more vicious- pulling all the strings. Ooh, don't know about you, but I'm just dying to find out what it is.

Lilah: What, no cake?
    Fred: Where is it?
    Lilah: Where is what?
    Cordelia: Angel's soul.
    Lilah: Oh, that what.
    Wesley: She didn't take it.
    Connor: How do you know?
    Wesley: Because she told me.
    Gunn: And you believe her? Lying's her job.
    Lilah: He's got a point. You wanna search me?
    Cordelia: What happened?
    Wesley: She was injured in the attack on Wolfram and Hart.
    Gunn: The place was a slaughterhouse. How'd she make it out?
    Lilah: Got lucky.
    Cordelia: Ah, maybe it was more than that. What were you doing downstairs with Angelus?
    Wesley: She was gathering intel.
    Gunn: With a crowbar? She's the only one to make it out of Wolfram and Hart alive, then she shows up right after Angel's soul goes missing.
    Wesley: I've already told you, she didn't have anything to do with that.
    Connor: Maybe she knows who did.
    Fred: Or who's controlling the Beast.
    Lilah: Controlling?
    Gunn: Angelus thinks rock-boy's just the muscle. Not that I trust him any more than you.
    Cordelia: Everything that's happened- it's part of a bigger plan with something even worse than the Beast sketching the blueprints.
    Wesley: That's what he's been trying to hide. There might be something in the text we-
    Cordelia: Text?
    Wesley: Lilah found a passage in Rhinehardt's Compendium.
    Fred: But we searched that already. There's nothing in there.
    Wesley: Because all references to the Beast have been erased in this dimension.
    Lilah: I got my copy of Rhinehardt's... way out of town. I'm surprised you didn't think of that.
    Gunn: That's why Angel didn't remember the Beast.
    Wesley: His memory's been wiped clean, just like the book's.
    Connor: Why does Angelus remember?
    Fred: Because his mind wasn't here when the spell or whatever was cast, right?
    Wesley: We should compare this passage with the information Wolfram and Hart extracted from Lorne. There might be-
    Gunn: Yeah, have fun with that.
    Fred: Charles...
    Gunn: Somebody needs to be downstairs, make sure nobody else tries to intel our boy.
    Cordelia: Let him go. I know this is hard. I know we're all tired and hurting, but we have to stay focused. We need to figure out what's coming, and how to get Angel back before it does, because if this is as bad as I think it is, we'll need him more than ever.

Angelus: You know what I like about you? You play to your strengths. You know what they are, and you stick to 'em. You don't find that much these days. Everybody always trying to expand their horizons, actuate their potential, and all that other touchy-feely crap. But not you. You don't try to change... because you know your place. That'll go a long way towards keeping you alive. Well, a lot longer than the others. Man, you guys really are on a streak. You let L.A. nearly burn to the ground, lost the sun, let the creepy crawlies practically take over the city. But you know that's OK. At least you've got the love of a good woman. 'Til she dumps you for a guy with a bigger horizon.
    Gunn: It's her life.
    Angelus: Oh, wait- did I miss it? Did she already let you down easy? Cheer up, buddy. Not like we didn't see it coming. Especially after what happened to her old professor. Come on, even Angel's not that stupid. The way things changed between you two... the furtive looks, all that guilt. Mm. There's nothing like your first murder. Don't worry, I won't tell what our little girl did.
    Gunn: She didn't-
    Angelus: Yeah! So, it was you- stepping up and being the man!
    Gunn: I did what I had to do.
    Angelus: I guess Fred didn't quite see it that way, huh? Wow. You do a chick a favor, you think she'd be grateful, but no. Mm-mm. She still goes for the broody smart guy, all mysterious and tortured. I guess, when you think about it, for the first time in your life, you just weren't dark enough. Maybe there's hope for you after all, Chuck.

Fred: This is hopeless. The Orb of Thesulah is the only way I can find to restore Angel's soul, but that only works if it's moved on to an afterlife or something, not floating in a jar somewhere.
    Wesley: We'll find a way to bring Angel back.
    Fred: How?
    Wesley: The way we always do: skill, perseverance, luck.
    Fred: Not a lot of that going around.
    Wesley: We'll be all right.
    Fred: As long as we stick together.
    Wesley: Fred. What happened between me and Gunn- I didn't mean- That's not what I wanted. Could you tell him that?
    Fred: I don't think he'll listen. We're not- We're not together anymore.
    Wesley: Oh. Not because of what I did?
    Fred: Things just haven't been right. Not for a while.
    Wesley: I think this is the part where I'm supposed to say I'm sorry, and I'm really trying to be, but-
    Lilah: Any progress?
    Fred: Not really.
    Lilah: Pity.
    Wesley: I made some headway cross-referencing, but there's no telling how long it'll take to get anything definitive.
    Cordelia: But you have made some progress?
    Lilah: Sure looks like he's trying.
    Wesley: I'll relieve Gunn, see if I can get anything else out of Angelus.
    Lilah: So, what now? Ouija board?
    Fred: Lorne. Did you find out anything?
    Lorne: Zip. Zilch. And what in the hell is succu-bitch doing here?
    Cordelia: Still trying to figure that out. So, nothing?
    Lorne: I've talked to every contact that hasn't beat it for higher ground. Nobody's heard bo-peep about Angel's soul.
    Lilah: Forget about the goody-goody. You want to kill the Beast and give his boss a run for his evil? The answer is downstairs in a cage- sick Angelus on him.
    Cordelia: Do you know what Angelus would do if we let him out?
    Lilah: Kill you all in a bloody shower of violence, but hey- greater good.
    Cordelia: We'll find another way. I'm sure if we just all-
    Lilah: What? Hold hands and sing a hymn? That might be a little hard when the Beast is ripping your guts out.
    Cordelia: Lilah, I know things look grim right now.
    Lilah: Don't go watchtower on me Saint Cordelia. I don't think I could stomach it.
    Cordelia: Man, I'd love to punch your face in.
    Lilah: Are you trying to turn me on?
    Cordelia: What's sad about people like you, Lilah- it all comes down to fear.
    Lilah: Fascinating. Now that we've got that settled.
    Cordelia: You're too scared to believe in anything because you're too scared to hope. You won't even open your eyes to the possibility.
    Lilah: You don't get it, do you, twinkie? I'm what I believe in. And you think I got this far by sticking my head in the sand? The Beast that eviscerated me has a boss, and that boss is going to end life as we know it, and nobody is coming to save us! Not Angel, not the Powers that Be, and not the forty-damn-second cavalry! So if anybody has scales on the rise- it's you.
    Cordelia: I can bring him back. I know how to re-ensoul Angel.

Angelus: Hey, we were just talking about you. At least I was, anyway.
    Wesley: What is it?
    Fred: Cordelia had a vision. She knows how to put his soul back.
    Angelus: I guess the Powers saw how bad you guys suck.
    Fred: Doing better than you!
    Wesley: Fred...
    Angelus: Ooh, she really has put on spunk, hasn't she, Wes. Not the same, shy, bitchcow we pulled out of Pylea.
    Fred: There's only one bitch here, and I'm looking at him.
    Angelus: Oh, come on, we all know it's for the best. Now you can go for the real prize. Mm. Man, I'm telling ya... man, if I swung that way... Look at him- all rugged and handsome and brains... man, he's damn-near perfect.
    Wesley: Thank you.
    Angelus: Except the part about banging Lilah for the past six months. That kinda takes the shine off him.
    Wesley: Fred...
    Fred: No, it- it's none of my business. I should...

Lilah: It's just like being at work, except suits by Liberace.
    Lorne: Wesley, would you please warn this walking infection that I haven't forgotten how she poked my head open like a Capri-Sun. And while my love for humanity allows me to tolerate her presence, if need be I will smack her down! Be a doll. Thanks.
    Wesley: With all the excitement, I thought you would have escaped by now.
    Lilah: Well, I would have, but, um, it's Thursday, which means that everyone who should be in the weekly briefing is, um, dead.
    Wesley: So you have nowhere else to go?
    Lilah: Just waiting to prove that your Powers That Be are all hat and no cattle. And if they do pull it through, well then braid my hair, and call me Pollyanna. The upside of being in it for yourself, Wes- you always end up on the winning team.

Angelus: Sorry if I scared you.
    Fred: Angel... I thought-
    Angelus: Cordy let me out. Actually, I- I asked her to be let out. You know what? Never mind.
    Fred: No, wait. I'm the one who's sorry. After everything you've been through, I...
    Angelus: It has been a little rough.
    Fred: On all of us. The stress is-
    Angelus: I know I could use a drink. Now, you see? That's what I was afraid of. For the rest of your life, you'll only see this evil thing.
    Fred: You're my friend, Angel. Past is past, and done is done.
    Angelus: Thanks, Fred. Can I get a hug?

Cordelia: He let me think I was talking him into it.
    Lilah: Those evil geniuses... they get you every time.
    Cordelia: The Beast, and then Angelus, and now there's something worse. I thought the spell was-
    Lilah: Divine intervention? Trust me, you have more chances of winning the lottery six times in a row. I had the numbers done.
    Cordelia: Just makes me question-
    Angelus: What's it all for, huh? I would too, if I were about to die. This time, you stay down! As for you, you luscious thing. I mean, you were going to let me out of that cage, so, let's see- I'll give you, what, a ten second start. Ten, nine... Now, there's a girl who takes advantage of her opportunities- Don't be jealous, kitten. She's just the warm-up. I'll save the good stuff for you. Eight, seven.

Angelus: Lilah... Oh, Lilah...Boo! Oh, and Lilah, I had such high hopes for us. Your devious mind, my killer instincts. What a team we would have made.
    Lilah: Could still make.
    Angelus: Always were a closer. Unfortunately, with the new big scary in town, you're just not looking so tough anymore. And I'm a winning team kind of a guy. Couple that with the recent people shortage- you know, you're lucky I'm letting you yak this long.
    Lilah: He's gonna kill us.
    Cordelia: I know. Why do you think I let him out? You stupid bitch.

Story: 10
    My Rank: 9
    Total: 9.5
  • Psychotic Cordy and the Temple of Doom

5.9
    An episode which basically makes me hate both Cordelia and Connor, or Lame Wannabe Evil Chick and Her Annoying, Uber-Gullable Lapdog as I prefer to call them, Calvary is only memorable for Lilah's excellent swan song.

The episode has Angel Inc attempting to re-ensoul Angel, Lilah turning up and Cordelia revealing her true allegiances...

Stephanie Romanov is absolutely excellent in this episode and gets to kick some serious ass as Lilah. Her conversation with Angelus is show-stealing, especially when Angelus criticizes her for not slapping on some lipstick before seeing him. The chase scene around the hotel at the end is terrifying and the revelation that Cordelia is the big bad is a massive shock. Hopefully that explains why Charisma suddenly got increasingly annoying as the season went on.

Connor is also annoying here. All he seems to do is hang around, complaining about everybody else and spending time with his beloved Cordy. Their relationship should definitely be put as a definition in the dictionary under the word "eww".

An episode which basically fades into your memory of the 24-like season four with the final act being the only thing making much of an impression.
  • The ability for Cordy to hide her bad face with her good face is getting strained.

7.8
    GAAHH! They're all flowing together again. Crazy Crowbar Lady was in this one. The Svear must've been in the last episode.

I loved the double-edged way Cordy was asking about possibilities of re-ensouling the monkey in the box.

Paranoid Connor, can't see past his own corneas, worries about who else, anyone else might be connected to the Beast.

Lilah does have some wonderful lines in this episode, as does Wesley. But especially Angelus.
    "You've waited all this time to meet me, you couldn't run a comb through your hair? Evil doesn't have to mean sloppy."

Angelus figures out what no one else can -- that the Beast, in the intervening centuries, has gained a master, because killomatic as he may well once have been, he's now part of these grand, epic 'dos -- rain of fire, eternal midnight, etc. etc. etc.

Cordy is such a devious little pixie in this one. "Oh, we must focus and stay together and find Angel's soul because if this is as bad as I think it is we're going to need him so badly." And her confrontation with Lilah. And her pretending to know how to re-ensoul Angel. And her complaining about her visions. And ultimately letting him out.

Angelus is so very good at the whole psychological warfare thing. First breaking down Gunn for who killed who, and then cracking across with the knowledge about Weslah (which was just masterfully played, by the way).

Loved Lilah's line: "Angelus would kill you all in a bloody shower of violence but hey -- greater good."

I liked the soul-eater, and I wonder if they were meant to be killed by it.

If they were, I'm really wondering why Cordy didn't just kill them all in their sleep? I mean really.

Great effect on him, all the same.

This was a cool eppy, but I'd have liked a bit more exploration on Cordy being all, y'know, evil and stuff.

Oh yeah.

JASMINE WATCH: Her popping out at the very end made the evil all the more shocking. What fun.

The bluffing match between Jazzy and Angelus at the end was some of the best poker I've ever seen on television.

And one last check in with our old friends the Powers That Be. Hey guys! What you been up to?

PowersThatBe: * sip *