Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 15, 2001 on The WB

• Bodyswapping bad medicine

CARPE NOCTEM

The Good;

Some nice humour, especially over the whole 'Fred' thing and some nice stuff with Lilah

The Bad;

Surely Marcus notices that in his new body the heart isn't beating and he doesn't breathe?

Best line:

Cordy; "You're a eunuch"

Angel; "Hey!"

CC; "Figure of speech"

Angel; "Find another one!"

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

Inverting the Hollywood cliche; Much like the handicapped in Blind Date in the Buffyverse old people are EVIL! We don't expect Marcus' spell to affect Angel but it does.

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tattoo; yes, her two piece purple outfit shows it off to great effect.

Cheap Angel; 7

Angel; 28 vamps, 40 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 7 demons+1 vamp

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 8 vamps+ 6 demons.

Fang Gang go evil:

Cordy: 2

Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang: Angel/Marcus

Cordy: 2

Angel: 7

Characters killed: the three poor guys Marcus hijacks

Recurring characters killed;

Cordy: 3 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

Three in the bed sex with 2 beautiful hookers. Well, we've all been there. CC refers to Angel as a eunuch, remember she doesn't know about Darla. CC salivates over the bodybuilders but still thinks 'All men are dogs'. Gunn and Wes argue over who gets to visit the 'First Class Escorts' but CC decides she should go instead. She refers to them as 'Pretty skanky women' (does she mean 'Women who are pretty skanky' or 'Women who are skanky and pretty'? To judge by the extremely attractive girls in the opening scene they certainly live up to their companies' billing). That's a bit rich considering she wanted to prositute herself to Rusell Winters and David Nabbit, has twice been knocked up by demons, twice sold as a slave and is currently having a high old time with her ghost and his loufa.

The simmering sexual tension between Lilah and 'Angel' finally comes to a head. Much like Kate in 'The Shroud of Rahmon' Lilah finally gets what she secretly always wanted, thrown across the desk to be ravished Viking-style and bitten by Angel. Is this ever mentioned again because Lilah is actually the only one who knows about it and she has no idea it's not really Angel? And what do AI make of Lilah's forgeries plonked on Wes' desk?

Captain Subtext;

Marcus thinks Angel is gay (just look at his outfit) and Wes is 'Fred', his boyfriend.

Know the face, different character; 3

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

Amy Acker's remarks about skinny models are weird as she's the thinest girl in the Buffyverse by quite some way, even more so that season 5 Buffy. Angel likes 70s Charlton Heston films, a leftover from the Manilow era? (The Omega Man has vampiric theme, plenty of blood and contains the wonderful line 'Honky paradise brother?'). The 'Nightstalker' is referred to but probably the LA serial killer rather than Kolchak. Marcus/Angel drinks martinis with Lilah, thought she was a whiskey girl?

Read a good fanfic once where Angel doesn't get his body back in the end but his soul gradually retakes control, Marcus' magic temporary and unstable. Good performace from Rance Howard as Marcus (Ron Howard's dad)

Marks out of 10; 7/10, always thought I disliked this ep but the humour makes up for a pretty weak story in many ways, actually found myself enjoying the rewatch more than I thought I would.

• Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem was a really great and entertaining episode of Angel. I enjoyed the story and the characters in this episode. There was lots of character development for Angel, Cordelia and Fred. I thought the story in this episode was interesting and probably a fantasy of some viewers. There was a little bit of action, drama, and humor. I find Fred to be a fascinating character, and you never know what she will say or do next to surprise. I also thought the small parts of the Wolfram & Hart Lawyers Lilah and Gavin were intriguing. Lilah is proving to really be on top of her game, for now. I can't wait to watch what happens next!!!!!
  • Angel the Pensioner

Carpe Noctem is one of the most unoriginal episodes of Angel. The body swap thing has been done in every fantasy show including BtVS (which did it so much better) and the old man playing Angel was a horrible actor. Yet, David Boreanaz's performance made this episode. He's actually very good at comedy and looked like he was having a great time, which made this episode enjoyable.

Okay one thing before I start the review properly; is it just me or does Charisma Carpenter get hotter every episode? Even when she's pregnant she's still attractive! OK I'm done.

The plot of the body swap, as said, is so completely unoriginal. Every fantasy series has done. Xena, Buffy.. you name it, they've done it. Carpe Noctem is hilarious but when compared to the awesomeness of Buffy's one (4.16 Who Are You?) it falls slightly short. It doesn't make it any less enjoyable but it makes you wish they'd have done one where a more important character swaps with Angel. The old man who plays Marcus/Angel was horrible and it never felt like Angel was there. His delivery was off and makes you wish he'd watched an episode before doing it. David Boreanaz however made this episode- his portrayal of Marcus like a kid in a candy store was spot on and he made me laugh several times through it. The shining moment was Marcus-in-Angel's speech to Wesley, thinking he was Fred. It was hilarious and Alexis Denisof's facial expression was spot on. Lilah was excellent as always and her line "Well, here we are at my office. Bye" to Gavin makes me laugh every time for some reason. I like that she's prepared to help Angel, her worst enemy, just to get one up on Gavin. She's such a unique villain and definitely a femme fatale. Gavin is annoying and even makes me wish Lindsey was back, as his talk of building code violations wears thin for me as well. Her and Angel's love scene was shocking- who knew Lilah had a thing for our resident vampire!

I felt so bad for Fred in this episode. She doesn't need any more emotional damage and to walk in on Angel like, I felt for her. Amy Acker is incredible and portrays Fred excellently- she's perfect for the role. Her hitting Angel over the head with baseball bat at the end was fun though. The end was a small tie in with the end of BtVS 6.04 "Flooded" where Angel finds out Buffy's back from the dead. It's annoying the networks wouldn't allow a cross over which would have been ideal but it was also good it wasn't dwelled on a lot.

Carpe Noctem is a funny, silly filler episode and one of the few comedy episodes of Season 3. It doesn't have an amazing plot but the dialogue and acting keep it interesting.
  • Freaky Filler!

5.8
    Carpe Noctem-An old man casts a body-switching spell on Angel, and enjoys the many pleasures of being eternally young, handsome, and bloodthirsty in Los Angeles while a dying Angel tries to get his body back.

Another mediorce episode with ony a few interesting parts but a dry plot. It looked like David was having fun playing horny, pimp-esqe, jacka$$. But I wish I had fun watching him, but I really didn't. The whole body switching storyline is like the most common plot device used in fantasy show, yet the Angel writers couldn't make decent episode out of this one. While David put a lot into his new role while Rance Howard just bores while playing Angel and his constant escape seen are boring to watch. Fred was great as usual with her cute little crush for Angel, which is crushed by the stomachache inducing make-out session between Marcus/Angel. I don't care what kinky fetish you have for vampires Lilah, NEVER AGAIN! Poor Fred, her reaction and crying scene was so sad. There are some funny scenes like Marus mistaken Wesley for being gay and Fred hitting an unconsicous Marus with Angel screaming in Marcus' body:

Angel: "His out Fred, his out!"

Besides that, that's about it! All and All, a boring episode which is one of the usual lite filler Angel episodes that are made.
  • Alii permutat anima kimota! An old geezer does a body swap with Angel and proceeds to hit on every female at Angel Investigations, and then some. Hilarity ensues.

Absolutely loved this episode! Finally Season 3 delivers a show that made me care about what was happening to the characters. Sure, this is prety much a stand alone, since it doesn't do much to further an storyline for the season. But it was darn funny! Nice to see the team back in sync that they are able to figure out just what happened to Angel and get to the retirement home in time to save him.
    So many great scenes, it's hard to pick the best, but they would have to include when Marcus-as-Angel thinks Angel might be gay looks at himself and says "Obviously." Loved Marcus-as-Angel making out with Lilah and then Fred walking in, and then Fred telling Cordelia about what she'd seen.
    Fred finally becomes part of the Angel team when she goes along to help save Angel-as-Marcus at the retirement home. Despite all the bad things that have happened to her since she got back to L.A., she's really going to come out of her shell now.

Great acting by David Boreanaz playing a completely different person inside of Angel's body and needing to interact with the other characters as though he was a complete stranger. He's great at this sort of comedy.

Overall, a fun episode, with a bit development in terms of character interactions, and a breath of fresh air for the season after three fairly disappointing episodes.
  • Angel has an out of body experience

This was a pretty funny episode. Seems someone is body-jacking young, strong men and living out their wildest dreams until the body wears out. Enter Angel and the gang. Angel soon finds that an old man who lives in a retirement home is the culprit, he lives right across the street from a gym and has the perfect location. Angel doesnt get a chance to *tell* anyone, because he is the latest victim. Marcus (the old man) switches bodies and watching this letcherous old man live out his fantasies while wearing Angels body is nothing short of hilarious. Fortunately the gang figures it out and are able to set things right.
  • funny

i do not like comedy episodes because they are stupid but this is a great and funny one. i love angel and how he called the girls pretty and the way he was acting like a player which was funny.

the episode was a great comedy maybe the best comedy of the show. i think everyone looked hot in it also and was just great to see everyone together fighting that old man at the end and that he dies was great!
  • This episode is hilarious. and in some ways even kinda dark. it's just great. and we get even more Fred. and all the actors looked pretty hot in this episode as well.

Carpe Noctem

This episode isn't just hilarious but it's very cool as well. David is such a great actor. and so is Amy. they all look very hot in this episode and at the end Willow calls them to tell them that Buffy is alive.

cut to the office. Fred startles the gang. she talks about Angel being deep and all. she is in love with him. then he comes and he wants to go out but nobody but Fred wants to go with him so they go together and Angel says that the rest doesn't know how to make fun anymore. cut to a guy after having sex with two girls but they are tired. he goes but he feels bad and then does a spell and then smelts leaving the girls screaming and his skin fall on the ground.

the credits start

cut to Fred talking to Wes about the wonderful time she had with Angel. then cut to Cordy going over to Angel and telling him about Fred and that he has to tell her it was only a movie. he doesn't want to but she takes him but he starts about that guy and Wes says that there was something about that a while ago. They are gonna investigate it and Angel doesn't say anything about Fred. cut to Gavin meeting up Lilah. they talk about the thing Gavin is planning and that Angel is the art and he's curious what he will do and he says that Lilah doesn't know Angel as much as she thought.

cut to them in the office and Angel ignores Fred and tells the gang what to do and he's going with Cordy to a gym where all those guys went and they leave Fred all alone. cut to Cordy and Angel going in the gym and she keeps telling him to talk to Fred. then she sees some hot guys and goes over to them. she starts to flirt with them while Angel ask another guy who is gonna help him or Angel is gonna tell the boss about the guys. he tells him that they had the same lessons and Angel goes to those and sees an old guy watching. he goes to tell Cordy and goes to that house.

cut to Angel going to that old man. he is weird and he likes to watch. he doesn't know the guys but then starts to do a spell on Angel and suddenly the change of bodies and Marcus knocks Angel out. Marcus goes to Cordy and they are going to ride to the hotel. they didn't find anything and Marcus is flirting all around. then they arrive and they talk about Fred and Marcus looks at himself and thinks he's gay. Cordy leaves.

cut to Angel waking up and he looks in the mirror. he calls the office but Marcus takes up the phone and says that Cordy is very hot and then hangs up again. Angel has to go back to be Ryan and he acts as if he knows who he is. cut to Cordy coming back and Marcus waking up. Cordy still tells him to talk with Fred. then comes Wesley in the office and he thinks he's Fred. and Cordy tells him again to talk to Fred and then goes. He tells Wes to sit down and that what they had and did to put behind and then Wes doesn't really get it and then they hug but Cordy calls Wesley and Marcus asks if he's Wes and he says he is so they go back and Marcus realised that Fred is a girl. Angel goes and eats with the rest, they need to interview some hookers but Gunn and Wes want it so Cordy will do it. Angel says that woman are more than a piece of meet and then they leave.

cut to Angel trying to escape but an old man bothers him. cut to Marcus shripping those papers and Fred comes and sees it. and he says she's beautiful and wants to go out with her and she's very happy and goes to her room to change, cut to Lilah and she takes those things so that Gavin doesn't win. he says that she's a very beautiful woman (he said that to Fred too) and gives her a drink. cut to Angel making the alarm go and then try to escape but then has a heart attack. cut to Marcus again and he seduces Lilah and they start to make out and Fred sees it but then goes away. cut back and Angel vamps and bites Lilah.

Lilah pushes him away and says that he will never get close to her again. and then he goes to the mirror because he felt his face different and he can't see himself and is all creeped out. cut to Angel waking up. Ryan is next to his bed and says that if he ever has another heartattack it could be his last. cut to Cordy coming in the office. she hears Fred crying and goes over to her. Cordy knows that she had a talk with Angel and she told him to and then she asks to make out with a woman on the desk and she says no. she asks what woman. cut to Marcus in a club seducing a girl. they go out and make out and her boyfriend is looking for her. then he bites her and they come out. Marcus beats them up and realises he will live forever so there is only one thing he only has to do.

cut to the office. Wes doesn't get it but then realises that the guys who died where acting strange too. so they think whomever did it to Angel as well and they think it was in that old hotel so they need to go there. cut to Angel trying to escape and then comes Marcus. he sees him and says hi dad. Angel goes into his room and Marcus follows him. but Angel says he has something he will never have...friends. and they beat Marcus down and now they ned to reverse the bodies and Fred hits Marcus on his head.

cut to Angel and Marcus then changing bodies and then Marcus wakes up. he says that Angel doesn't deserve that body and then has a heartattack and Angel and the rest leave. cut to Fred in the garden. Angel joins her and she said that Cordy already explained. and that it's okay. and that sometimes love is bad. then Cordy goes to Angel and says that Willow is on the phone. Buffy's alive and Angel then goes and Fred asks herself who's Buffy.

Black Out

Best episode quotes:

Fred: Sorry! Did - did I startle you guys?
    Wesley: No.
    Cordelia: Only in the sense of shocking and jolting us. - What's up?
    Fred: Nothing. Just taking a little stroll and... Why would girls wanna look like that? I spent years in a cave starving. What's their excuse?"
    Cordelia: Fashion.
    Fred: So - everybody's just reading and hanging out?
    Cordelia: Angel's upstairs.
    Fred: Oh. - He's probably reading, too. He's so deep, you know? Thoughtful. I'm guessing "The Brothers Karmazov", Joyce, a little Goethe to round things out.
    Angel: Am I the only one who read this?
    Wesley: Read what?
    Angel: Charlton Heston. Double feature! At the Nu-art. "Soylent Green" and - "The Omega Man.
    Gunn: Wow.
    Angel: It's two for one. Did I mention, Charlton Heston? Who's in?
    Fred: That sounds great!
    Angel: Fred. Wesley?
    Wesley: Well, I'm in the middle of translating Fassad's guide from the original Sumerian.
    Angel: Gunn. Cordy? Looks like it's just you and me, Fred. - Well, the worm certainly has turned.
    Fred: Y-y-yeah. The worm's turning and... Am I the worm?
    Angel: No. You may not know this, Fred, but certain friends and co-workers have been known to accuse me of being the quiet, stay at home, sulky one. Some people - just don't know how to have fun anymore.

Fred: And he opened every door for me and he paid for the tickets. And even bought a giant popcorn. And every few minutes he'd go like this. Because he wanted me to know it was okay for me to have some. And he's so lonely because he's the last man on earth.
    Wesly: Angel?
    Fred: No! Charlton Heston. The Omega Man? Omega being the last letter of the Greek alphabet so it's a metaphor. And he walks on the street side and not the building side. It's old-fashioned, but kind of chivalrous, you know?"
    Wesley: We're back to talking about Angel.
    Fred: Right. And even though he didn't talk a lot, it was still okay. It was comfortable. It wasn't that awkward kind of quiet. You know that awkward kind of quiet?
    Wesley: No. That's never happened to me.

Cordelia: You need to talk to Fred.
    Angel: What about?
    Cordelia: About the big date you guys had last night.
    Angel: Woah! Date? - It was just a movie.
    Cordelia: That's what you need to tell her. She's in there going on and on about what a super time you guys had.
    Angel: She's just enthusiastic. Don't read too much into it.
    Cordelia: She's got the big puppy love. I mean, who wouldn't? You're handsome, and brave, and heroic, emotionally stunted, erratic, prone to turning evil and, lets face it, a eunuch.
    Angel: Hey, how can you... I'm not a eunuch.

Gavin: Good morning, Lilah.
    Lilah: Good morning. Well, here we are at my office. Bye.
    Gavin: You're a though one. I know I'm gonna have to earn your respect. But give me a little time. You'll see I'm a creative guy.
    Lilah: Oh, like your 'lets torment Angel with building code violations' idea? Uh, so machiavellian! We'll just drown him in red tape.
    Gavin: There are other level's to this, Lilah. Avenues of interest I have... One of them being: does Angel even exist?
    Lilah: Are you getting metaphysical on me?
    Gavin: No. The guy has no social security number, no tax payer ID, no last name as far as I know. How can he go down to the building department, or anywhere else in officialdom for that matter? - He's the rat and we're the maze. Don't you wanna see what he'll do next?
    Lilah: He might just rip out your throat.
    Gavin: Do you think he'd do something that cliched? Gosh. Maybe you don't know him as well as you think.

Phil: You know, I-I-I don't see anything that connects the three of them - except they were all in the evening Pilates class together.
    Angel: Pilates, is that like Tae-bo?
    Phil: Yeah - if you're living in 1999.

Marcus: Cordelia... have I ever told you you are a very beautiful woman?
    Cordelia: Ha, ha. Very funny. I know you never said anything that tacky or overt to Fred. But you're still gonna have that talk - whether you want to or not.
    Marcus: Talk with Fred.
    Cordelia: Yes! Just - keep it simple. One: you're not like other men. Two: there is no room in the workplace for romance.
    Marcus: Romance with Fred. - So I'm a... Obviously.

Marcus: Hey. How're you doing?
    Wesley: Alright. Well... - you?
    Marcus: So, we gotta talk. The thing is, I've got nothing against you personally. It's just...O-ho, this is gonna be harder than I-I thought. I just don't know how to spit this out.
    Wesley: Angel. Whatever it is, you know I'm here for you.
    Marcus: Yeah. That may be the problem. I mean, whatever we - had... - whatever we - did. I just think that we should keep that - behind us. - Start from scratch. You know, two men working side by side. But, you know, none of that - funny stuff. Shake on that?
    Wesley: I guess.
    Marcus: Hey, all right. Gimme a hug.

Marcus: Thanks, bro. Keep the change on that.
    Gunn: O-kay.

Cordelia: Escorts. Oh, you mean hookers?
    Gunn: I should probably interview them right away - while the trail is hot.
    Wesley: Ah, I'll take this one. You interviewed the hotel staff. It's only fair if we divvy it up.
    Gunn: Yeah, but I figured it out.
    Cordelia: I'll interview the hookers. Are there any men who aren't just dogs?
    Marcus: Not very many, I'm afraid. You know a woman is more than a piece of meat. I'm sorry. That's just how I feel.

Marcus: Fred - mmm. Have I ever told you you are a very beautiful woman?
    Fred: Uhm - no?
    Marcus: Do you like olives? Tell you what, I have some work I have to finish up here. Why don't you go on upstairs and put on something pretty and we'll go out on the town.
    Fred: Really?
    Marcus: And that's just for starters.
    Fred: Okay, I'll just - I'll go and - okay.
    Marcus: Hoo! And what can I do for you?
    Lilah: Don't go all nightstalker on me. I'm here to do you a favor. We both agree that business with Cordelia was just business, right?
    Marcus: Sure.
    Lilah: It's all in there. Earthquake safe certification, statement of asbestos level compliance... All of it. I'm not playing you here. It's not about you. It's about Gavin. He thinks he's so smart. - You're welcome.
    Marcus: I'm sorry. Thanks. That was a really - thoughtful favor. - How about a drink? Have I ever told you you're a very beautiful woman?

Cordelia: If Julia Roberts ever makes a realistic movie about being an escort, I think it should be called pretty skanky woman. Angel? - Fred! Fred. What's wrong? What happened?
    Fred: I should've knocked. I always forget to knock because, you know, I didn't have a door for so long. He called me a sweetheart. But it's just an expression, isn't it? Like when a waitress calls you honey, it doesn't mean your special or anything. It's just a word, right? Sweetheart.
    Cordelia: Is this about Angel? Oh. - He talked to you, didn't he? This is all my fault. I told him to do that.
    Fred: You told him to make out with that woman on the desk?

Wesley: I do not believe it. On my desk?
    Gunn: Well, it did used to be his. Maybe he was just kinda - reclaiming it.
    Wesley: How? By marking it? - This isn't like him.
    Cordelia: What? This is totally like him. Doing the mystery dance with some cheap blonde?
    Fred: Brunette. She was a cheap brunette.
    Cordelia: You're right. This isn't like him.

Angel: So, I guess you finally found a body that won't burn out, huh, Marcus?
    Marcus: Looks like.
    Angel: Only one way you can keep it though, right? You got to kill yourself!
    Marcus: Mmm! I can live with that!
    Angel: You sure? I don't think you really know what you're getting into.
    Marcus: Oh, I know what I'm getting into. You're the one that doesn't seem to know what you had. As far as I can tell you were the world's worst vampire. Vampires don't help people, you moron - they kill 'em! Here, let me show you.
    Angel: You may have the attitude, and you may have the power - but there is one thing you don't have, and never will: friends. Four of them, standing behind you with big, heavy things.
    Angel: Guys! It's about time. It's him - he's the one who's been casting that spell.
    Cordelia: You're Angel? With that cologne? I don't think so.

Marcus: You...! You don't deserve that body!
    Angel: Funny. I was gonna say the same thing to you. I tell you why you have a weak heart, Marcus. You never use it.
    Marcus: You're pathetic! You're all pa...
    Angel: You should try and keep a lid on that rage, Marcus. It's - not healthy.

Angel: Hi.
    Fred: Hey. - How's your head? S-sorry about all that...
    Angel: Ah, I - gather I - had it coming.
    Fred: Mmm. - Yes.
    Angel: Fred, I've been meaning to talk to you about something.
    Fred: Okay. Is this about how you're not like other men - what with that curse and all... and how you're really fond of me, but that's as far at it goes?
    Angel: Uhm... - yeah.
    Fred: Cordelia explained it to me. She said you'd probably just screw it up.
    Angel: Oh, she did, did she? - And she's probably right. What?
    Fred: It's like something out of Fitzgerald. - The man who can have everything but love. - Well, maybe in some ways you're better off, because love is... - Well, in a way it's everything. - But it's also heartache and disappointment. - And those are good things to avoid.
    Cordelia: Angel, Willow's on the phone... She's alive! Buffy's alive!
    Fred: Buffy?