Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Jan 28, 2004 on The WB

• A truly rogue Slayer

DAMAGE

The Good;

Great breakout scene, very Halloween, Terminator 2. Andrew is funny as hell and wonderful final scene between Spike and Angel.

The Bad;

How does Lindsey know about these things to send Spike to?

Best line;

Angel (of Dana); "She's an innocent victim"

Spike; "So were we, once upon a time"

Makes me tear up every single time!

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

All the torture and murder scenes and of course Spike's arms being cut off! Can't watch any of the scenes with Dana being tortured or her family being killed, just too horrible

Apocalypses: 5

Fred; 5

Spike; 5

Kills;

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 45 vamps, 62 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 12 humans, one werewolf and one cyborg

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 14 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 3 humans, 2 cyborgs

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Wes; 1

Gunn; 1

Connor; 1

Lorne; 1

Characters killed: Dana cuts up the 2 poor orderlies at the hospital, the unfortunate security guard at the supermarket (someone should count all the security guards who get killed in Buffy/Angel over the years) and the tragic docker who tries to help her

Recurring characters killed;

Angel; 4

Gunn; 3

Fred; 3

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 6; Buffy, Darla, The Transcending Furies, Eve

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Spike; 3-Buffy, Anya, Harmony

Kinky dinky:

Andrew refers to Fred as 'attractive slender woman'. Lorne calls his assistant to get the whip. Spike asks Andrew if he's ever tasted 'a penny' From The Big Bang Theory? (Thank you scrawny71 for pointing out that)

Captain Subtext;

Andrew says that Spike is beautiful and comments on his 'Viggo Mortenson' pecs. Spike calls Andrew a ponce.

Know the face, different character; 5

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

Andrew takes Dana into protective custody

Buffy characters on Angel; 17 Andrew

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil, Andrew.

Questions and observations;

Note Dana marks herself just as the first Slayer did. Gunn of all people loves the system, very different from his first entry to WR&H in season 1. Note that some of Dana's drawing have the Shadowmen in it. When Dana speaks in Chinese Spike replies with the same words he said to the Chinese Slayer as he killed her. Wes is in touch with Giles (through his father if nothing else?). Spike jokes that Angel's worry is starting to make him look old, a comment on ageless vampire Angel starting to look a few years older. Irrelevant that Spike didn't torture Dana or kill her family because he did it to THOUSANDS of other people. Remember the little girl in the coal cellar? No one trusts Angel any more, he realises that he and Wes&co have cut themselves off from the other Scoobs.

Buffy and Dawn are in Rome with Dawn going to an Italian school. The reason we saw so little Joyce in season 4 is that Kristine Sutherland was housesitting in Italy for a year in order to let her daughter go to school there and learn Italian. And now Joyce's daughters do the same which I suspect is a very clever inside joke. Andrew's remark of Buffy needing a break from California may be a reference to SMG needing a break from the character of Buffy. The various Scoobies are reassembling the Watcher's Council just as Wes' false dad said they were in Lineage.

In 'Lies My Parent's Told Me' Spike goads Robin Wood that his mother never really loved him and put slaying first (in fairness to Spike Wood had just tried to kill him). Here we find that this wasn't true, she did love him, her last thought was her begging for Spike to spare her so that she could go back to her beloved son. In School Hard Spike tells Buffy that the last Slayer he killed begged for her life. In 'Fool for Love' he tells her how he killed her and she doesn't beg. Maybe she did beg, just not out loud?

Dana dreams of previous Slayers just as Buffy did in the original movie.

Spike and Angel both consider themselves to be monsters. They might be right. The scene between them is too wonderful for words. Love to see Dana in the comics some day, all cured. Episode 11, halfway through the final season.

Marks out of 10; 8/10, strong ep but hard to watch. The final scene between Angel and Spike raises it up.

• One Slayer Too Many!

Damage-When an emotionally unstable woman, Dana, escapes from a psychiatric ward, Angel learns that she was tortured as a child and is now searching for her tormentor. Andrew, a watcher-in-training, arrives from Sunnydale with surprising information about Buffy and to inform the group that Dana is also a vampire slayer.

A dark, disturbing episode which brings back a familiar face while introducing a great villian. Well, Dana, isn't a villian, she just too dangerous for her own good! I mean, the girl not only makes Faith's dark past seem like stealing a bike from Seseame Street, but she is 10x times more psycho! Navi Rawat gives a birlliant performance as the tormented slayer whose world has been shattered ever since she was little. Every emotion, scene or action, she did perfect! I epsecially loved her scenes with Spike, as she even made the big bad blonde a bit scared. I mean, she even cut his hands off which was brutal yet brought some great special effects on the SFX department. It was also nice to see references back to events on Buffy, Spike's slayer encounters in the past and learning more about the Slayer mythology in general.

I have to say the best part was Andrew! It's great to see the little dork again and his reuniting with Spike was priceless. Also, his use of the word "vampire" messed up Angel's pronunciation of the word, lol. It's also interesting how we got to hear about the Scoobies and how they are finding Slayers around the world. But what's also so great about the episode is the ending, after Andrew and his mini-army of slayers take Dana, Angel finds that the Scoobies don't trust him anymore. It's just a real touching scene how Angel and Spike question what made them evil, why they can't be trusted and how they were just victims jsut like anyone else in the first place. All and All, "Damage" is a superb episode with dark storytelling, great characters, hilarious dialogue and touching scenes.
  • Damage

Damage was a really good episode of Angel. I really enjoyed watching this episode and seeing Andrew and Slayers cross over from Buffy. This episode had a good story with some interesting dramatic twists. I thought it was cool how the writers tied in Slayers into an Angel episode. Gunn showed another deeper side to himself. There was good character development for Spike and Angel, plenty of action, and interesting drama. Both Angel and Spike try to get info about Buffy from Andrew. The ending of this episode was a definite moment of realization about how those outside the group perceive Angel and his choice to run Wolfram and Hart.
  • Andrew... the Watcher?!

Damage is an excellent episode that is great for Buffy fans as it tells us more about our favourite characters, features Andrew and revolves around a psychotic Slayer. It's also one of the darkest and most disturbing episodes in the entire series with some genuinely chilling moments.

Bringing Andrew back was a great idea; Andrew is a love him or hate him character and I love him. He was hilarious all the way through Buffy S7 and him and Anya were the only thing that kept me entertained. He was extremely funny here again, producing some great lines and also showing more maturity than he did on Buffy. His tale of "Slayer of the Vampyres" was a nice call back to "Storyteller". This episode was more for Buffy fans than Angel fans. It tells us where Buffy, Dawn, Xander and Willow are and brings back some of the old Buffy humour I love so much. It might feel a bit fanservice-y but if you like Buffy, you'll like this.

The story of Dana, the psychotic slayer was disturbing, chilling and extremely hard to watch. The flashbacks sent chills down my spine as I head of Dana being tortured for months as a child and her insanity is also horrifying to witness. It was a truly tragic tale and I honestly wish her kidnapper could have been found by her and killed- anyone who can do that to child deserves no mercy. When I thought it was Spike who had done it, I was relly rooting for Dana to dust him but thankfully it wasn't him. It was have been really hard if it had of been him. The scene where Spike lifts up his hands to reveal Dana has cut them off was another shocking and terrifying moment. I forgot all about Wolfram and Hart's medical abilities and was completely shocked and worried. I thought Spike would have to stay like this and was intesnely relieved when Fred said they could put his hands back on. It was a pulse pounding moment.

The end where Andrew confronts Angel and demands Dana be handed over to him proved that he wasn't the same coward he was in Sunnydale. Sure, he had about 50 Slayers behind him but he still stood up to Angel. The Slayer Army was magnificent and sent goose bumps all over me as I remembered "Chosen" and Buffy's speech. A great scene.

Damage is a thrilling, disturbing, chilling and shocking episode that is a treat for Buffy fans. It is not for the faint hearted but definitely shouldn't be missed. A really excellent episode.
  • Oh Andrew. Andrew stops in with the Slayettes.

This episode had some wonderful dialog. There must be a special writer just for Andrew. His dialog is so refreshingly quirky.

The crazy slayer that brought Andrew to town looked a lot like the scary girl in the movie The Ring in the opening scene.

The reflective moment between Angel and Spike was so well done. Spike in recovery from his encounter with the crazy vampire slayer. Angel and Spike talk of the lives they destroys when they were evil.

Spike looking at his re attached hands says, She's one of us now. She's a monster.
    Angel replies, She's an innocent victim.
    So were we, once upon a time.
    Angel replies quietly, once upon a time.
  • Dana the vampire slayer.

7.8
    This episode has Spike and Angel battling a psychotic vampire slayer, battling her own memories of being kidnapped and tortured as a child. And she's actually a little scary, though you do feel terrible for her throughout. After she manages to kidnap Spike and cut off his hand, which is just wow by the way, we get another little glimpse into Spike that we don't get to see a lot of Angel (very season 7 of Buffy). He feels guilt for her though he wasn't the one who hurt her.

This episode also has a cameo appearance by Andrew (Tom Lenk) of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I always enjoyed when Buffy stars crossed over to Angel, for guest appearances or other. This case was particularly enjoyable because we had only just gotten to know Andrew the last season on Buffy and had really only just started to like him, he was after all kind of evil in season 6 of Buffy. I really enjoyed seeing him again. He brought this nice amount of comic relief to the episode and was a good addition to the story line, considering the episode did center around a slayer. Everything melded together really well.
  • This Angel episode is rooted deeply in Buffyverse, something completely lost on me upon my first viewing!

Having originally rejected viewing the unique and very well written BtVPS series, based solely on its title...a phenom now known as "The Buffy Syndrome"...many pertinent references in Angel episodes, and this one in particular, went right over my head upon the first viewing. And yet "Damage" is still a great stand-alone episode; it continues to advance the season's overall arc of conflict between Angel & Co. corporate efforts and Spike's lone wolf attitude. The storyline has cohesion, and credibility in the Whedon realm. Scenes of Dana's torturous past I found a bit dark and disturbing to watch, but the flashbacks are well done and the sepia tones used to delineate it from time present was an added interest.

Upon a second viewing of this epi (after having DVD-marathoned through 7 seasons of Buffy), I found it even more interesting, reveling in layers of meanings not noticed before. It was also now apparent to me that the rogue slayer storyline concept was not new: Dana's character mirrors Faith, Sunnydale's bad girl (and alter ego of good girl Buffy); a rogue slayer who ended up in an institution after embracing the dark side.

There were other revelations now that I have some BtVPS back-story:

Spike's character took on greater nuances. And Andrew was an unknown character during my first viewing; the second time I understood fully his emotional reaction upon seeing Spike again. The slayer history lesson also made more sense, especially where Dana's violent behavior was concerned.

Other significant references:

Andrew's accounting of Sunnydale characters (Buffy, willow, Kennedy, Xander, Dawn) take on greater meaning for those familiar with the ending of the BtVPS series. And Andrew putting a dirty penny in his mouth to test Spike's statement that the scent of blood was like tasting a coin was so in line with the geek's hero worship developed in BtVPS!

Spikes comment "Sorry, love...I don't speak Chinese" was exactly the one he made to the slayer dying in his arms during the Boxer Rebellion. "I used to date a girl who wasn't all there": a direct reference to Drusilla, his vampire lover for a century. Also, Spike quickly reacted Dana's statement, "I have to get home to my son, my Robin" knowing she spoke of Robin Wood, the son of the NY slayer Spike killed in the 1977, and who in S7 of BtVPS, almost beat Spike to death in revenge.

The scene in which Andrew demands to take custody of Dana is a repeat of a similar scene in BtVPS when the Watcher's demand their rogue slayer, Faith, be turned over to them. "She's a slayer. That means she's ours..."

The true significance of the crowd of young girls appearing to back Andrew in his demand for Dana can be lost on those who didn't watch the development of the Potentials in the last episode of BtVPS. Certainly *I* didn't understand why Angel & Co backed down so readily in front of a bunch of young girls! Now I get it...

All in all an episode worthy of viewing a second time! Or maybe a third... :)
  • Andrew, so great to see you!!!

We are introduced to a female mental patient who has some serious issues. She ends up escaping the hospital, more violently than Faith ever did and hitting the streets of L.A. No worries, Angel and Spike are on the case. Spike, in his infinite wisdom, deduces she is a chinese demon. Angel figures out from watching some tapes her Dr. had made that she is a slayer. Back at W&H we have a visitor; Andrew. With his usually hilarious dialogue he tells the tale of how the other slayers were called up thanks to a spell by Willow. Spike goes on a search for Dana, with Andrew (not by Spikes choice) and ends up with more than he bargained for. To sum up: Crazy Dana thinks Spike is the man who kidnapped and abused her. She ends up drugging him and sawing off his hands. Angel and the gang show up and save him and contain Dana. Then in a move that I couldnt have predicted, Andrew (backed by a dozen slayers) takes Dana with him. Seems Buffy no longer trusts Angel because he is working for the wrong side. Well...duh!
  • dana a rogue slayer

7.2
    this episode could have been so good but it turns out to be dissapointing.

dana was a very good character and much better than the other slayers. but instead of angel obsessing over spike its dana who obsesses over spike and wants to hurt him. annoying but at least she cuts off his hands. what ruins this episode is andrew because he is sooooo annoying! he should have died but in the end he comes with some annoying slayers and take dana with them. ugh! good storyline but the bad characters ruin it.
  • A fantastic continuation of Buffy mythology and shows just how great Angel and Spike can be; working together or at each others throats.

Changing the slayers in Buffy was brilliant writing and really set up a potential breakthrough in the series, if it wasn't the series finale. Watching Buffy take the lead of a slayer army would be just fantastic entertainment. Of course Angel is still around, so there is still a way to see some of the events following Buffy.

If there is any flaw to he episode, it is that Dana the slayer is so disoriented. We understand her and why she is this way, but she doesn't grab you as more then a one shot character, though there is a chance for that. A great thing was done for the episode, which was not directly spoken but slightly implied. It was that having hundreds of slayers can be a great advantage, but using Faith as an example, not every potential slayer will turn out the best. Some potentials should not be slayers, like Dana. She killed without mercy, and really couldn't be blamed for it; it is what she became, a slayer. Her behavior with Spike was a great idea, fallen slayers memories mixing with real memories and identifying Spike as her raper. Her stammering about 'Can't hurt me anymore' and Spike awaking to having his forearms cut off was chilling.

I'll be honest, in terms of who I like more as a character, Angel or Spike, I would say Angel. It has nothing to do with James Marsters performance, he does a fine job, but Angel behaves like a person who has killed innocents and feels guilty. Spike is much more flamboyant and that is why people like him so much. When Spike got his soul, after his crazy episodes, he acted relatively the same, if only more genuinely good instead of just helping the one he loves. The difference between Angel and Angelus is night and day. The reason is probably that Spike was a decent person who became a vampire in a moment of weakness, Angel was a tavern hopper whose lifestyle led him to this.
    To the point, Spike begging Dana for mercy on the grounds that he has hurt people, just not her was an eye-opener for the character. His pause after he said that explained everything, and his musings to Angel in the hospital bed was perfect. Angel is surprisingly compassionate because he knows what Spike was now feeling, and for the first time they connect. Because of this, Spike has become a better character and a better person.

The episode is one of the best of the season, and truthfully one that would have been difficult to do in a previous season.
  • The perfect blend of a tribute to the sister series and the dark style of Angel.

As a hard-core Buffy fan (and a shameless Spike addict), this episode was a great little treat that seamlessly blended a nod to the series that spawned it (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and the style that we associate with the Angel series. Andrew was definitely the right choice of a person to bring the others up to date on what was going on with the Scooby gang. It was really funny to see him interact with Angel's team, especially his assorted comments to Wesley and his "demon horns" on Fred. An especially masterful touch was putting him with Spike for the majority of his screen time. His quirky humour allowed him to be just the right type of annoying and brought the funny that lightened a really dark situation.
    Spike & Angel's jabs at each other still continue to be brilliant and this episode allowed them to take another step deeper into their psuedo-friendship. And Spike's anatomical loss (and reattatchment) of body parts really pushed his characer to another new level to deal with the damage he did as a soulless demon.
    Overall, this episode was great all around. Whether you're looking at it as a continuation of Buffy and the Scoobies storyline or as another great episode of Angel, it shines on all accounts. I consider this one of the best episodes of Angel and, of course, one of my personal favourites.
  • You never write, you never call -- what those crazy Scoobies have been up to, and oh yeah; a crazy Slayer. =)

S5x11 - DAMAGE

Also known as "Breathing Room for Lindsey" or "Depth Takes a Holiday"

So what would happen, exactly, if a Slayer went crazy -- which, from everything we've seen, is kind of a short trip?

Well, when it happens to Buffy -- at least a couple of times, in "Earshot" and "Spiral" -- she retreats inward, becoming catatonic while she wrestles with the demons in her mind -- which are not inconsiderable, given what we saw in "Nightmares." In "Normal Again" and for part of "The Witch" (in which technically she's just under a spell) and "Beer Bad" (in which she's simply mystically drunk) she lashes out, in some instances violently. Or she just gets silly, as in "Something Blue," where again, under the influence of a spell, she imagines she is in love with Spike.

Faith just goes really, really dark, falls into a coma, and lashes out in a twisted "suicide by vampire" attempt. Fortunately, Angel is able to bring her back to a stable enough sense of reality that she is able to at least turn herself in.

Dana, who up until this point has nothing but pain and shared Slayer visions, reacts with all the rage of the past 10 years played out on a wet red canvas. Mind you, any psychiatric wing worth its salt would have tranq guns handy, but from what we see on those tapes and from what we know from "Restless" about visions of the Primative, we can expect every drop of blood shed in her wake.

Is she evil? No. But her private pain just got really, really public.

Enter the vamps, or as Angel rightly points out, the last people who should be confronting her. We know Angel gets tipped off by an upwardly mobile nurse with an eye on career advancement. But how is Spike there again? The ersatz Doyle got a vision? "Doyle" doesn't get visions, because even in a coma, Cordy wouldn't let him anywhere near her for smooches and the Powers That Be aren't really talking to him. So Spike's initial presence remains, much like the seven-letter word for "in a mellifluous manner" (my guess is "harmony," but I'd need to see the other letters) an unsolved mystery.

But this isn't what this show is about. This show is about getting Spike's hands cut off. This show is about exploring Spike's actual pain. It's about bringing him face to face with his past in an important way. Not that much is done with this, but Spike starts to feel the weight of the soul he won with more reflection than the time he spent brooding sack-of-hammers in the basement of the high school at the beginning of BS7.

But mostly it's about the hand thing. Because that's going to tip off the people who need to be tipped off in the next episode. Whereas Spike gains a little focus in this ep, "You're Welcome" is about providing the same moment of clarity for Angel.

So the rest of it is just Tom Lenk being hilarious. Starting with "We saved the world -- well, Buffy helped," watching nearly every scene with him in it, there's this steady compulsion to say "ANDREW!" in a reproving way, not that he listens at all.

GUNN WATCH revisited

We also get the most glancing exploration of where Gunn is right now -- "Nine holes of golf instead of a jury of your peers, just the way the Founding Fathers intended."

This line by Fred is the reason I instituted the Gunn Watch in the first place. The Senior Partners, in giving Gunn the legal upgrade, very subtly manipulated his moral center, which in this context of this show, is pretty much CYNTHIA!s moral compass.

Gunn, until now the figure least troubled by mystical influences, now sees expediencies and loopholes. It's not obvious by any stretch of the imagination, but very subtly, I believe Gunn has slowly been going dark. He's still cheerful, he's still fighting that good fight, and he's doing it his way, but his way can no longer be understood as the unalloyed "Force of Good."

He was largely indiscriminate in "War Zone," unconvinced that a vampire, even one with a soul, could be a righteous man. He was a bit more nuanced in "That Old Gang of Mine." But at this point, good and evil have become moiré patterns and I'm afraid he's strayed from the path. And when the pattern starts to fade, he can no longer handle it and signs whatever is put in front of him to maintain it.

Gunn has, in my opinion, golfed his way cheerfully into the rough, whistling the Rogers and Hammerstein catalogue.

Don't take my word for it. Check Buffy's assessment. CYNTHIA! is no longer trustworthy. Despite her own canoodling with The Immortal, the assumption is that they've all gone bag and baggage over to the dark side.
    While it seems no one will agree with me about Gunn, from a perspective exterior to the show, the perception is the whole lot of them have strayed, and are entirely the wrong people to rehabilitate a Slayer.

So Angel has some soul-searching to do as well. As Spike suggested in "Soul Purpose," their moral compass is in a tailspin. They think they're doing the right thing, but meanwhile the "right thing" has involved representing terrible people and doing a number of distasteful things to stay profitable, and their stated goal of using the L.A. branch of Wolfram & Hart as a tool for good is a little like using a throwing star as a coaster. It'll keep your lemonade from making a ring on your coffeetable, but it's still a weapon of violent, ugly death.

Some observations:

Dana's ramblings sound a little like River's.

The seer they call in to help is very cool.

Andrew tasting the random penny he found lying on the docks is hilarious.

Fred's demand that the shamans not use a donor hand for Spike's surgery was a nice bit of continuity from "Dead End."

All in all, a decent installment, but a little like a placeholder. Even so it was nice to get some answers to some of those unanswered questions from "Buffy," like "Hey -- what's everyone up to these days?"

* suddenly interested in a bit of closure on that ... other Sunnydale alumn *

Well, I'm sure they'll get to that shortly.

Well done, people. Well done.
  • The Presence of Tom Lenk in Damage is just what Season 5 and Angel needed to keep me hooked. Damage was able to incorporate the spirit of Buffy and the heroic events of Buffy's final season through Tom Lenk and his hilarious comic timing. A Must Se

I Absolutely LOVE this episode of Angel.
    I Loved the character of Andrew in Buffy, that image of him walking out with oven mits on is too hilarious.
    This episode is also good because it informs the viewers of Angel about the events that took place in season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Andrew, the Ultimate \"Storyteller\", rehashes the story in a way that is true to character and only something that Andrew could deliver.

The reaction of Spike to Andrews presence is classic; \"My therapist thought I was holding on to false hope, but I knew you would come back\" I absolutely love all the references to LotR as well. Episodes like this, and \'You\'re Welcome\' are the reason that Season 5 was able to push on and keep viewers until the end.