Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 14, 2000 on The WB

• The undead odd couple

DARLA

The Good;

Everything between Angel and Darla is just superb, adds a whole new dimension to the Buffyverse

The Bad;

?

Best line:

Angel; "You damned me!"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Everything with Darla, Dru and Spike is just TRAGIC. Angel garroting Lindsey is also pretty near the knuckle.

Apocalypses: 4

Angel; 17 vamps, 18 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 1/2 a demon

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 5 vamps.

Fang Gang go evil:

Cordy: 2

Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:

Cordy: 2

Angel: 6

Characters killed: Dru kills the sailor, Spike kills the Slayer offscreen.

Recurring characters killed;

Cordy: 2 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast

Angel: 1;Buffy

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

"You're leaving with the stallion" You know they just don't have dialogue like that on Dawson's Creek.

Darla asks Lindsey to kiss her. We have confirmed what we always suspected, that she was a prostitute in her human life (women weren't allowed to own property during the Elizabethen era so she could hardly be anything else)

Captain Subtext;

Gunn shows his legal mind for the first time, working out that WR&H would place Darla's expenses as a tax rebate. Angelus appreciates human life whilst the Master wishes to end it. That said he let's Darla go as he seems to have genuine affection for her. Darla wonders if Lindsey has either a boyfriend or girlfriend. Little hints of humanity in Dru, she hints she could be Darla's mummy as she will eventually be when she sires her. Once again Spike calls Angel(us) a poofter.

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages; yep, where they go to kill Darla

Guantanamo Bay;

Buffy characters on Angel; 13 The Master rears his ugly head

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master

Questions and observations;

Dru sires Spike. The cleverness of this scene is that when we see it on Buffy we think the Fang Gang are the kings of the world. Although when we see it on Angel we realise it's all a lie, Angel is resouled. Despite being resouled Angel still kills criminals, rapists and murderers, an undead version of the Punisher. So what's Darla's real name? In season 1 of Buffy 'Angel' he comments that the last time he saw Darla she was dresssed in kimonos which fits here. So what happens to the baby Angel saves? I like to think that she grows up under his watchful eye, much like Rachel in the Highlander series, that Angel visits her as an old lady on her deathbed and holds her hand as she passes to the afterlife and rejoins the rest of her family. Interesting when we compare Angelus, the bullying father of the fang gang with his own domineering father.

Marks out of 10; 9/10

• Darla

Darla was a perfect and classic episode of Angel because it explored more of Angel and Darla's past. We also got to see other familiar faces such as Druscilla, Spike, and the Master. I really enjoyed the way the story was told in this episode. There was lots of drama, intrigue, some action, and character driven scenes. It was interesting to watch Lindsey falling for Darla, and her begging Angel to make her a Vampire again. This episode had a tone of darkness tempered by our Hero's quest. I must say that this season is great so far and I can't wait to watch the next episode!!!!!!!
  • Through Darla and In Hell...

Darla-Angel is desperate to rescue Darla from the clutches of Wolfram & Hart and flashbacks reveal what a dangerous and powerful relationship they shared as history weirdly seems to be repeating itself. The trip down memory lane begins with Darla being sired by the Master and ends with the gang of Spike, Drusilla, Darla and Angel being torn apart when Angel is cursed with a soul.

The Darla arc continues to get better with this wonderful episode that's completely centered around the fallen sire of Angel. The flashbacks are at their finest, where we see how Darla was sired and by the Master no less, who makes an amazing return on Angel. I love how Angelus taunts and shows no respect to the Master and the Master delievers this line as Angelues leaves with Darla:

Master: "I'll give it a century...tops!"

Also there are some other great flashback scenes like Spike eating the gypsy family that cruse Angel and Darla testing Angel with wanting him to eat a baby. The present day scenes are also disturbing like with Darla being worn out and so depressed because of her soul she cuts herself violently. But what's also great is the Lindsey's growing attraction toward Darla and the way Darla flirts with him to play with his heart. But the ending is just a incredidle ending with Darla so desperate to get Angel to make her a vampire again and Angel so shocked by it as these lines are said:

Darla: "I made you who you are, you owe me!"
    Angel: "Owe you, you..damned me."

It's just such a powerful ending with David and Julie being so perfect in that scene with the flashback scene intertwined. All and All, a stunning episode that continues the Darla arc on a high note and one of the best episodes from Season 2.
  • When the past comes back to haunt you...

This stirring episode is basically side B of the Buffy episode 'Fool for Love', flashback-wise. But it carries itself with grace anyway.

Darla, after being brought back from the dead and made human again after nearly 400 years as a vampire, is starting to feel the weight of guilt on her soul. She desperately seeks Angel for help.

Sprinkled throughout the episode, like FFL, are flashbacks: Darla's turning by the Master in 1609 in the Virginia colonies, her choosing to stay with Angelus over her Master, the flipside of the scene when William bumps into a group of people, and her retaliation on the Gypsies who cursed Angelus with a soul. The last long flashback is during the Boxer Rebellion, 2 years after Angel's cursing. He comes back to Darla to try to be who he was.

In the present, Darla has intense moments with Lindsey, including a kiss during which she bites his neck. Angel later saves her when Wolfram and Hart try to take her out. He takes her back to the hotel.

In China, after the mirror scene from FFL, Darla is suspicious of Angel. She doesn't think he's really bad again. So she tries to tempt him with a baby. He refuses.

Back at the hotel, Darla wants Angel to turn her into a vampire again. Again, he refuses. She runs out and tells him not to look for her.

I love this episode because I love flashback episodes. I love finding out and seeing things about characters that we previously didn't know about. This ep is beautiful in its costuming, styling, writing, acting and directing. There is no fault at all.
  • Angel desperately seeks to rescue Darla from Wolfram and Hart as her mental state deteriorates.

Oh. My. God. Darla was simply amazing. There wasn't a bad thing about it. It was simply excellent the entire way through. It's the kind of episode you wish every episode could be as good as. The story was epic. The dialogue was brilliant. The performances were out of this world. What isn't to love?

This episode advances the Darla arc so much in the space of 42 minutes. I kind of wish they'd made it a two parter so we'd have more (I wouldn't miss The Shroud of Rahmon greatly). The teaser before the opening credits sets the tone of the entire episode. Angel's obsession with Darla is continuing to escalate to the point he does nothing but think about her. Darla is starting to feel the weight of her soul so much so that she destroys every mirror in her home so she doesn't have to look at herself. She's becoming more human and is starting to feel guilty for her murders-"so many terrible things". We can see she isn't in a good state of mind- she seems disorientated and even though she's talking to Lindsey, her conversation seems to be with herself. She refers to her and Angel as soulmates- highlighting their deep connection. This teaser has so much packed into it and it truly does deliver.

The next scene takes us back to where it all really began for her- being sired by the master. We see Darla (the human) lying on her deathbed, asking for the shutters to close as she doesn't feel right dying in the sunlight. She's already accustomed to dark- prefers it over the light. The Master enters pretending to be a priest, barely able to contain the sarcasm in his voice. He pulls back his hood- and Darla doesn't even blink at his complete demonic appearance. Darla seems to want this embrace- she doesn't fight or scream in any case. This scene is so important- it's basically where the show all began- without Darla there would be no Angel. It's chilling and sends tingles down your back.

Throughout this entire episode, Darla's mental state is getting so much worse. She refers to the vampiric Darla as the "other thing". She has no sense of person- is she human Darla or the vampire Darla? She wants to be the vampire but can't seem to shake off her guilt and be what she's not. She looks all over the place- pale and clammy (foreshadowing the fact that she has syphilis). She keeps asking who she is- but Lindsey is only interested in kissing her so she bites him. This tells us of her desire to be a vampire again. Julie Benz is so fantastic in these scenes- we can feel Darla's pain and angst and although she's technically the villain this season, we don't hate her. Her situation is a parallel to Angel's.

The flashbacks show this parallel marvellously. They are basically one half of another episode ("Fool For Love" shows some of the same encounters from a different perspective). The Boxer Rebellion is also exactly like present times- Angel is desperate to be Angelus but can't be evil. His last encounter with Darla with the newborn baby as his test proves this- Angel is not an evil person. He's terrified of what he is and the only he can react is to be Angelus- he's been him for 150 years, but his natural instinct isn't to be evil. The last scene is incredibly hard to watch. Darla begging Angel to kill her is heartbreaking- she's so messed up. But she has an alternative where Angel didn't- she can be the soulless monster again easily. Angel doesn't want to let her lose her chance for redemption- if he kills her she'll be damned. Darla just wants to escape her guilt with the easy way out but in the long run, it isn't right. This scene is so magnificent. Darla was an amazing episode. It helped us get inside the mind of Darla, showing us events from her life and the present day scenes are completely fantastic also.
  • The way they were.

With her mental state weakening, Angel fears for Darla's safety at Wolfram and Hart. We the viewers also get more insight to how Darla and Angel's lives used to be, via flashbacks.
    Previously I have not cared that much for Darla. This episode may be a turning point for me. I was really interested in what was going to happen to her and if she would be ok. Then when she left ran out of the hotel at the end, I was sad and I wanted her to come back. So now I like the character of Darla.
    I've always enjoyed flashbacks of Angel's life before he got his soul, so naturally I enjoyed this episode. It was always interesting to me to compare Angel to Angelus.
    There was a lack of Cordy and Wesley bickering in this episode, which was disappointing, but the flashbacks made up for that.
  • Some of Darla's and Angel's history is revealed.

The flashbacks in this episode were really great. To see Darla as a human being explained her history. Having the master show up again was great and his interactions with Angel was great and when he gave him and Darla a century it was really funny. Drusilla finding Spike is really funny and watching the scenes from the Boxer Revolution in China were really funny. When Darla tries to make him kill the baby and he refuses, it is classic. All the flashbacks were done really well and added a lot to this episode.
    The present parts were amusing as well. The part with Cordelia's hair were great and the reactions of Wesley and Angel were hilarious. Lindsey and Darla were very cute together and Lindsey's feelings seem genuine. All in all a great episode.
  • Much is revealed about Darla and the connection between Darla and Angel.

The episode moves between real time and flashbacks, both of which reveal much about Darla and the connection between Darla & Angel.

In flash back we see how she was turned by the master on her deathbed. You also see the strong connection between her and Angelus when she choses to go with Angelus versus stay with the master. You see the evolution of Darla & Angelus' evil family with Dru and Spike. There are flashbacks showing Darla's anger at the Gypsies for giving Angelus a soul and her hatred of Angelus for having a soul. With a soul, Angel is lost and tortured. After 100 years apart, Angelus finds Darla..wanting things to be as they were before. She gives him a chance to prove himself by killing an infant, he can't do it and runs out with the baby...realizing he cannot be like her as much as he wants to be with her.

In real-time, Angel puts a reluctant Cordelia, Wesley & Gunn to work helping him find Darla. Although Darla is initially with Lindsay, she seeks out Angel to help her with the pain she feels on being human and having a soul. Lindsay's feelings for Darla have grown and he also wants to protect her when he is removed from her case at Wolfram & Heart. Lindsay provides Angel information on where W&H have Darla so he can help Darla. This all appears to be a ploy by W&H who are setting this up...not so that Darla will turn evil, but because of the effect Angel will have on Darla.

There is major epiphany for Angel when he realizes that Darla seeks Angel not to help her come to terms with having a soul, but to turn her so she will lose it again. Darla believes she gave Angel a gift by turning him versus cursing him for life and wants him to do the same for her. When she realizes he will never do this, she runs out on him.

Both in the flashback and real-time the stories unfolding are about how Angel and Darla struggle with having a soul respectively. In the end of each story the choice they make is very different.
  • Darla, one of the best season two episodes IMO, as the events of the last few Angel episodes coincide with events on Buffy to give these brilliant revelations into Darla’s life.

Before I talk about the storyline of the episode itself, I just want to mention what a great performance Julie Benz gave in this episode. She had to play so many emotions and she did them all so well, easily outshining her co-stars in this episode.

With so many things happening in this episode it is difficult to know where to start, so I’ll start at the beginning. As Darla’s mind and body start to disintegrate she starts to call out for Angel but for the time being only Lindsey hears her cries. The sexual tension in this first scene is played subtly here and works really well with the contrast to Darla’s obviously unstable state of mind. Darla’s last lines of the teaser “We’re soul mates” leaves a chilling feeling behind. This term is mostly used as a good thing but as the episode shows this may not be a good thing for Darla.
    The flashbacks then kick-off with one of my favourite scenes. The scene between Darla and the Master as she lays dying works so well and finally gives fans the background on who ultimately made Angel and therefore the show. The next flashback is equally good as Angel shows that he doesn’t take orders from anybody. I loved his taunting of the Master, its what Angelus does best and his lack of obedience here can help to explain events later in the season with the rest of the team.
    The flashbacks then start to co-incide with those on Buffy’s episode “Fool for Love.” With this being the only real crossover episode from Buffy this season, it works wonderfully even though there are only two flashbacks that directly coincide. The first being Darla, Dru and Angelus meeting Spike. While the flashback itself isn’t hugely interesting or relevant to the rest of the episode, it does show the two sides to the story of Spike getting sired. The second crossover flashback is a whole lot more interesting. Angel/us has just returned to the fold and we see him struggling with being a vampire again. As Spike crows from killing a Slayer as we saw on Buffy, Angel congratulates him rather moodily. When I first watched Buffy Fool for Love I thought this moodiness was because of jealousy but this is wonderfully revealed not to be the case.

As the episode progresses we see some nice power play between Lindsey and Holland Manners. Holland is obviously aware of Lindsey’s attraction to Darla and uses that to his evil advantage. Although it is never fully explained in this episode, Holland makes it plain that W&H were expecting Darla’s humanity to eventually kill her and therein lies the reason they brought her back. Holland’s duping of Lindsey here explains events later in the season as we see Lindsey change from hating Angel wholly to go back to the grey area which Lindsey so often inhabits.

Lindsey and Darla’s relationship is hugely interesting here. The actors have a great chemistry and work well together. Again Darla’s insanity offsets their sexual tension; more overt this time as Darla offers herself to Lindsey although she stops him before he can take advantage of her. This obviously does not stop Lindsey from caring from her and he proceeds to help her going so far as to turn to the one person he hates most of all- Angel.
    Angel’s desperation to help Darla is really intriguing. As he says at the end of the episode, she “damned him” so why is he so eager to help? His life would be a lot easier if she disappeared and while she may be a ‘case’ for him to save her delicate mental state and lack of willing means this might not be possible. These questions are explored in the rest of the season and it an extent the series.
    The final scene is very strongly put together. Intertwined with flashbacks of Angelus coming to terms with being Angel and probably the last time they see each other before Sunnydale, Darla makes a desperate plea to her lover, which he rejects, and she disappears in to the sun.

Such a strong episode, which I could review for pages. An outstandingly written episode from Tim Minear, one of the best of the show.
  • Darla, by any other name.

This has to be one of the best from Season 2. We finally get to see something I have wondered about since I first "met" Darla; how she came to be the Masters Pet. We see that Darla has never had an easy life, she was dying from syphilis when the Master turned her and now she is human again and dying from the same thing that almost killed her then. I actually came to pity her during this episode and understand her and why she waited so long to make a partner (Angel) for herself. We get to understand Angel (where she is concerned) and soon we see to what great lengths he will go to save her soul.
  • Overall, this episode represents a powerful turning point for the second season, shifting from a slow but steady introduction to a surprising series of complications and revelations.

This episode marks the transition point between the introduction of the season arc and the massive complications to come. Wolfram and Hart had been letting Darla mess with Angel’s head, slowly but surely wearing him down to the point where he would be confused and obsessed with her. Now the time comes to let Darla’s restored humanity rip Angel apart, and it’s not a pretty sight.

Angel has been trying to come to terms with his obsession, and the rest of the team has been trying to keep him from stepping too far out of bounds. As this episode unfolds, it becomes clear that Angel sees Darla’s redemption as a reflection of his own. If he can convince Darla to see the light so she can live a normal life, then he might feel better about his progress towards his own redemption. Like the woman in “Judgment”, Darla becomes a symbol for Angel’s chances of success.

Darla’s humanity, of course, has been catching up with her. In this episode, she seems to make the assumption that her problems are related to the restoration of her soul. She longs for the ability to be evil without guilt again. This says quite a bit about the woman Darla was before The Master came along. The human Darla is very close in personality to the demonic Darla, which is usually not the case. The vampire is usually a darker, exaggerated aspect of the original human personality. Perhaps the demonic vampire took Darla’s wicked sexuality and took it to a higher level; after all, Darla seems to have a natural sensuality.

Of course, it is later revealed that Darla’s growing instability is not just the result of her soul’s restoration. When she came back as a human, she came back with all the health issues present in her body at the time of death. As Holland says in this episode, it was just a matter of time, and apparently the syphilis was a known and anticipated quantity. Syphilis causes madness, and Darla’s mental state is visibly fractured in this episode.

That had to be part of the plan for Wolfram and Hart, because it puts pressure on Angel to find a solution to Darla’s apparent problem. Angel is already consumed by his obsession, and Darla’s fragile state feeds into it. As a result, Angel pulls further away from the rest of the team. His memories of his time with Darla become a sort of tunnel vision, as he looks back on the centuries.

In an interesting twist, Lindsey is led down a dark path, driven towards a deep and forbidden attraction for the former vampire. Darla plays that for all it’s worth, which is precisely the point. Holland wants Darla to believe that Wolfram and Hart holds no answers for her, and Lindsey becomes the symbol of that in Darla’s eyes. Lindsey would never do what had to be done, from Darla’s point of view, and so her only choice is to run into Angel’s arms.

While Holland’s deviousness has never been in question, this episode brings his clever mind into sharp focus. Holland has clearly been manipulating Lindsey from the moment Darla returned to the world, and Lindsey is smart enough to know that it doesn’t work to his benefit. Either he will look bad in the eyes of the Senior Partners for his apparent weakness, or Holland will use this as leverage to keep Lindsey under his thumb. This would, of course, drive Lindsey’s choices over the course of the season.

Following up on the character evolution in the previous episode, Wesley is more assertive, doing everything possible to keep Angel focused. This is the evidence of Wesley’s leadership, a subtle plot point that would become far more important as the season progresses. The writers recognize that Wesley’s later assumption of control over the team must make sense, and that is facilitated in this episode.

This episode is also notable for its connections to the “Buffy” episode that aired on the same night. “Fool for Love”, like “Darla”, focused on character development of a critical villain in the Buffyverse. More than that, both episodes represent an important turning point for the central characters for each series. In this case, Angel becomes utterly consumed by the desire to save Darla from herself, thus distracting him from the effects of that obsession.

The two episodes also covered the same events during the Boxer Rebellion, focusing on different sides of the story. “Fool for Love” gave the details on Spike’s killing of the Slayer, and “Darla” delved into Angel’s struggle for identity and purpose after the restoration of his soul. Angel’s struggle provides an important counterpoint to Darla’s rejection of her humanity.

While that parallel between past and present doesn’t always come together, and it’s always grating to hear David Boreanaz attempt an Irish accent, Darla’s history is fascinating and revealing. The events of this episode cascade into the series of complications that will help Angel understand more about Wolfram and Hart’s nature.
  • darla's past

finally back on track! this episode was all about darla hence the name! it was very good and brillaitn writing. i loved the four vampires being together and killing everyone at the village and the end of the episode was fantastic and sad.

darla made the season and this episode isn't even one of the best episodes she is in. the writing and everything was very good though
  • 'I released you from this world once. I gave you eternal life. Now its time for you to return the favor.'

‘Darla’ is the second part of the Buffy episode called ‘Fool For Love’ cantering on the Darla characters, the episode is one of Tim Minear’s best work, heck, it’s one of this season’s best which is saying something. The episode begins with Angel drawing Darla and continuing his obsession her has over her. Meanwhile Darla is at Lindsey’s, all the glasses are broken and she has cut herself with them. She is having difficulties with her soul and says that she is now Angel’s soul mate.

This episode contains flashbacks of Darla’s past, the way she was turned by The Master and how she met Angel. Together with him, they left The Master to live it up. We also see some scenes that were on Buffy only from Darla’s perspective. The way they caught up with Dru and met Spike, and the way Angel sought Darla back after she had left him and how he tried to protect some missionaries from her. Holland continues to use Lindsey as a puppet, first he makes Lindsey believe that they are going to get rid of Darla because she is ahead of schedule, so he helps her to escape and informs Angel about it which is exactly what Holland wanted, Angel saves Darla and picks her up to bring her back to his place.

The flashbacks in this episode were fantastic. Darla knew that Angel had tried to save some missionaries so she killed them and brought the baby for Angel to kill, he had to prove himself but he couldn’t pretend to be something that he wasn’t and that’s how he leaves her for good.

When Darla is at Angel’s place she asks him to turn her because she thinks it’s the only way. She says that the soul in her is destroying her body and she can’t take it, but Angel can’t do that to her, he says that she cursed him by making him a vampire and that he won’t do it back. Darla is upset and runs out of the hotel telling Angel to never look for her again.

‘Darla’ is an episode with class, Julie Benz gives an amazing performance, especially her scene with Lindsey when she asks him what she is and bites him, Darla really doesn’t love souls.
  • That was then...this is now...

"Darla" is, and I doubt there would be much disagreement among the fans, one of the top best episodes ever of "Angel". How can it not be?. Any time the show, or "Buffy", gives us some flashbacks, it's always good. But when they do a major episode steeped in history, well, it's just a treat. The history in both shows is so incredibly deep and richly layered, that there is a never ending well of material they could drain from. Tim Minear wrote and directed this episode, and by this time, it was becoming very obvious that he was the best and most important writer/director on the show whose last name didn't end in Whedon or Greenwalt. The guy is as good a writer as anybody, and he has got his stuff down pat. Earlier in this season, he dazzled us with "Are You Now Or Have You Ever Been?", and his promise keeps getting proved with every episode he does. I am not sure if he has topped this one, but he sure outdid himself with it. This episode jumps from a varied and distinguished timeline to all sorts of places and dates in the long and blood soaked history of Darla and Angel. It's done so beautifully and spectacularly, that one cannot be in awe of the work and the detail in every single frame of this brilliant episode. So, what exactly happened in this episode and how good was it?. Well, if you've been reading so far, then you know that it was very, very good.

Told through brilliant flashbacks, we get to see how Darla became the vampire we know. How she died as a human, when The Master came to her, and her long and interesting relationship with a certain vampire. It's all intercut with Darla today, back from the dead, and her relationship continuing with Angel, her once upon a time killer now with a soul.

"Darla" was the second part of the Buffy season 5 episode, "Fool For Love", and were shown back to back. What a history lesson!. What's so interesting about this is that both episode comes from totally seperate angles with a whole other point of view. Even certain scenes we saw in "Fool For Love" we see again here, but they come with a whole other feeling because we are seeing them in a whole other context. It's done brilliantly. Whereas the history lesson in the "Buffy" episode was about Spike and how he came to kill two slayers in his lifetime, this one is about, well, read the title. What's also so wonderful in the planning and writing is that neither one is dependent on the other. You don't need to see "Fool For Love" to watch "Darla", or the other way around. They may seem somewhat connected at first, but they are not, and you can watch each one seperatley and not miss out on anything. Again, this is credit to the genius of Tim Minear's wonderful script. And the modern day scenes work so incredible as well. The human Darla is a tragic creature. Go back and watch this episode and see the work Julie Benz had to do in this episode. The evil Darla who changes when she realizes Angel has a soul, to the Darla of today. Human, confused, hurting. This actress had a heck of a lot of layers to convey here, and she did a brilliant job. And what about human Darla?. She was a vampire for so long, she doesn't know what it's like to be anything else. She can't take the beating of her heart in her chest any longer. To her, it's like a cancer. Angel says he will help her, but it becomes clear that there is only one thing that Darla wants him to do to save her. Turn her back. Angel refuses. He is going to save her. Not turn her back to the forces of evil.

The Lindsey element is quite interesting as well. It doesn't take long to realize that Lindsey is beginning to have some serious feelings about Darla. This doesn't seem to be lost on Holland Manners either. He sabotages the project when he feels that Lindsey's closeness to Darla will not be for the greater good of the project. He is going to terminate the project, and by "terminate", he means kill Darla. Lindsey actually intends to call Angel(who comes to Lindsey)and the hero vamp saves Darla from being murdered. Lindsey definitley loves Darla. So much so that he would go to his enemy for help. Even after their own history. Christian Kane continues to grow and evolve as Lindsey. Sam Anderson as Holland Manners was the best boss Wolfram And Hart ever had. Anderson has the right look and total slimey evilness as Manners. I was upset when he died. I always knew him as the principal for years on "Growing Pains" and Mr. Gorpley on "Perfect Strangers". He's great.

So, who was Darla?. She was a prostitute dying of Syphilis in the Virginia Colony in 1609. The Master comes to save her. In the present day, she is being saved by Angel. There is so much more here in the history of the past that is being represented today in present times. Angel chastises to The Master that he lives in the sewers, and here Angel moves around in the sewers. Darla would not have anything to do with Angelus when he got his soul from the Gypsy, and now here she is with a soul. The best part of the episode is when Darla wants Angel to turn her back, and she told him to return the favor. This was a grand moment. This stops Angel cold. He tells her that what she gave him was not a favor at all. He might be doing good now, but he knows what lurks within him and the things he has done in his very long life. She didn't do him no favors, and he isn't going to do the same to her. It was wonderful and chilling all at the same time. The flashbacks to the present day work and go together so seamlessly. A lot of props must go to every person behind the scnes who made the episode so beautiful and moving. The scenery is exquisite, and the costumes for the different eras they are in are wonderfully done. Tim Minear is definitley the man.

What more is there to say?. "Darla" is a masterful and mesmerizing piece of work. So solidly written and beautifully acted, this episode is one for the ages. On it's own it's just magic. Paired with "Fool For Love", and it's an evening's worth of unbeatable television.