Angel

Darla

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 14, 2000 on The WB

• When the past comes back to haunt you...

This stirring episode is basically side B of the Buffy episode 'Fool for Love', flashback-wise. But it carries itself with grace anyway.

Darla, after being brought back from the dead and made human again after nearly 400 years as a vampire, is starting to feel the weight of guilt on her soul. She desperately seeks Angel for help.

Sprinkled throughout the episode, like FFL, are flashbacks: Darla's turning by the Master in 1609 in the Virginia colonies, her choosing to stay with Angelus over her Master, the flipside of the scene when William bumps into a group of people, and her retaliation on the Gypsies who cursed Angelus with a soul. The last long flashback is during the Boxer Rebellion, 2 years after Angel's cursing. He comes back to Darla to try to be who he was.

In the present, Darla has intense moments with Lindsey, including a kiss during which she bites his neck. Angel later saves her when Wolfram and Hart try to take her out. He takes her back to the hotel.

In China, after the mirror scene from FFL, Darla is suspicious of Angel. She doesn't think he's really bad again. So she tries to tempt him with a baby. He refuses.

Back at the hotel, Darla wants Angel to turn her into a vampire again. Again, he refuses. She runs out and tells him not to look for her.

I love this episode because I love flashback episodes. I love finding out and seeing things about characters that we previously didn't know about. This ep is beautiful in its costuming, styling, writing, acting and directing. There is no fault at all.