Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Angel's Series Finale

BigYellowJoint

[1]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 8
    The series finale for angel has got to be the best way to end any show. I think it is the best ending to any show EVER, given that i have only seen a few, but to end it the way they did is so original and it pays repect to the show without even showing any flashbacks. It ended on top instead of being all sappy and happy. At first, when i saw it two years ago, i wanted the show to keep going, but now, i never want it to come back because that finale will be such a hard task to top. Even though i want more angel, i would rather have that great ending rather than to come back with a flop. Besides arent we supposed to presume that they all die? Anyway, this has gotta be like one of the best endings i have ever seen. Does anyone know any other endings (in tv shows or movies) that is anay better than this? Because if there is, that has gotta be a freakin good ending.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Sep 1, 2006
    • level: 34
    Watch V For Vendetta, good ending. Excellent if I do say so myself. I would also say the series finale of Dawson's Creek, just before the montage (Even though it was a great montage it did have the sap factor.) But that is not an "Angel" kind of show. It's got the soap opera factor so it would need to appeal to your tastes.

Psy4potato

[3]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    amazing ending, I agree...but I don't think I never want it back. I would love another spin-off...right now acutally..please and thank you!

Bango_Berryrush

[4]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 9

I actually liked how Buffy ended than I did when ANGEL ended.

Buffy had been the Slayer for 8 years,(counting her first year of being a Slayer that wasn't shown on TV), and she's fought many people, sacrificed many loved ones,(Angel for example). She battled the Master, Angelus, the Mayor/Faith, Adam and the Initiative, and Glory, adulthood/resurrection/Dark Willow, the First Evil/Caleb/Turok-Hans/Bringers--not to mention Spike and the many various demons and vampires that came her way...

She faced all of that, including losing her mother and becoming a parent for Dawn...To have all of that responsibility at the age of 15, and finally after 8 years she beats her major foe and realizes that she can finally breathe.

"Chosen" was a great ending for "Buffy", in Buffy's case. A long while I hated how the show ended with Buffy smiling at what Dawn asked her, ("Yeah Buffy, what are you going to do now?")...but now I seem to respect how Joss ended it with one of his first major characters finally smile and have a happy ending after what he put her through those 7 years on TV.

"Not Fade Away", like "Chosen", seemed too quick. It was nice to see Anne, because she's been around the 'Verse ever since Season 2 of "Buffy", and it was nice to see a sort of closure to Connor's character...but there's one thing I didn't  like...

I didn't like how Wesley was killed. He was much stronger and wiser than to fall the way he did, and I just can't help but think his death was to balance Fred's,(e.g, kill him so he can be with Fred).

I also didn't like how Lorne walked off. He was so depressed after Fred's death, and then Angel makes him be a killer--and then Lorne just walks off never to reunite with the gang just because he's had enough and wants nothing else to do with them...I didn't like that.

I really would've liked Angel and the gang fighting the Senior Partners...they were Angel's biggest foes during his 5 years in L.A. Instead, he and the gang goes and fights ancient demons that are called to fight by the Senior Partners. Of course, I understand the significance on why fighting the Senior Partners would've took away their mystery we held about about them...but Buffy and her gang got to finally fight down in the Hellmouth,(Buffy's biggest foe since she arrived in Sunnydale), so I guess I would've like to see just even a glimpse of the SP and know that even if the SP succeeds, Angel would've gone out fighting against them even to his death.

I just really didn't like NFA...and it wasn't because of the abrupt ending,(cause that's fitting in a way...because Angel and the gang would've lost, he couldn't end the SP--just like Buffy and her gang couldn't defeat the First Evil [yes, the FE is still around, they never destroyed It, only delayed It's plans.]). Just saying.

SMGslayer97

[5]Sep 2, 2006
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:

[yes, the FE is still around, they never destroyed

What makes you think that?

buffyTVSrox

[6]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 33
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:

Well, they never show it getting destroyed or specifically mention it getting destroyed, so...

Dark-Fusion

[7]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 5

What The First was trying to do is to become corporeal, the fact he failled doesn't mean hes dead, I dont think he can actually die, he is a force beyond understanding, he is not just an evil being, he is FAR beyond that.

As for Angel's season finale, of course it was a good episode but I would without a doubt wanted more Angel, and if it wasnt for that very moronic canceltion we would of gotten at least one more season (which we deserve), assuming the gang is dead is quite wrong if you ask me, Joss mentioned that Angel (if there was a 6th season) survived that battle and from other rumors about the Spike movie so did Spike and Ilyria, as for Gunn I heard he turnned to a vampire which is finally a good way to develop his character, I really think canceling Angel was one of the dumbest things in the history of TV and not just because I'm a big fan of Angel and the Buffyverse in general but because in season 5 all fans really started getting the feeling the show is going somewhere, I think season 5 is probably the best one and not just because its the final one but because we got to see so many in so little time, I think season 5 tops even some of the best seasons of Buffy and only god knows how much I pray that Joss will do something and bring it somehow back (yeah right...).

Edited on 09/02/2006 11:58am
    Edited 4 total times.

KingofIPirates

[8]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 32
    OH they canceled Angel. I guess that's why it's ending seemed incomplete. Plus how is the first far beyond an evil being? He brought chaos and destruction to the planet killing anyone in its path without hesitation or remorse. You don't get more evil than that. Is Joss the author?

Bango_Berryrush

[9]Sep 2, 2006
    • level: 9
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:

Because the First was basically a spirit,(an evil one at that)...but Willow said that they "scrunched" the First's plan, yet none of them said they defeated It.It's still around, basically because evil still existed afterwards. The First told Caleb that It was every drop of hate and cruelty in every person and thing...If they were to destroy the First Evil, then Angel wouldn't have had a season 5 basically, because if you take out the original evil who resides in everyone, then you take out the evil in people...

SMGslayer97

[10]Sep 4, 2006
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:

Because the First was basically a spirit,(an evil one at that)...but Willow said that they "scrunched" the First's plan, yet none of them said they defeated It.It's still around, basically because evil still existed afterwards. The First told Caleb that It was every drop of hate and cruelty in every person and thing...If they were to destroy the First Evil, then Angel wouldn't have had a season 5 basically, because if you take out the original evil who resides in everyone, then you take out the evil in people...

Point taken. I understand what you mean. But I don't think killing the first would destory all evil because like you said it's the original evil that all other evil comes from. So, if it was destroyed in some way it would still be around in another. That was a little hard to follow. ::grins::

SleepTight

[11]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 36
    I love the Angel series finale.
    The SIx Feet Under, Carnivale and Farscape endings were also, amazing.

ISpeakTheTruth

[12]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 33

Farscape's finale? Are you talking about the Peace Keeper wars finale or the original finale?

If you're talking about the original....Well then your insane.

asutho

[13]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 17

KingofIPirates wrote:
    OH they canceled Angel. I guess that's why it's ending seemed incomplete. Plus how is the first far beyond an evil being? He brought chaos and destruction to the planet killing anyone in its path without hesitation or remorse. You don't get more evil than that. Is Joss the author?

If by incomplete you when they had planned that as a cliffhanger tilll next season than you are mistaken, Joss changed the ending after he  found out that it was canncelled.

owenedwards

[14]Sep 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    NFA, I've defended too many times, suffice to say, it's fitting and grim and brave and emotive and it closes the book.

Other good finales? Erm. TNG's TV finale was fantastic. The last episode of WCW Nitro was emotive. Peacekeeper Wars and the Serenity film, too.

sv_know_it_all

[15]Sep 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    BigYellowJoint wrote:
    The series finale for angel has got to be the best way to end any show. I think it is the best ending to any show EVER, given that i have only seen a few, but to end it the way they did is so original and it pays repect to the show without even showing any flashbacks. It ended on top instead of being all sappy and happy. At first, when i saw it two years ago, i wanted the show to keep going, but now, i never want it to come back because that finale will be such a hard task to top. Even though i want more angel, i would rather have that great ending rather than to come back with a flop. Besides arent we supposed to presume that they all die? Anyway, this has gotta be like one of the best endings i have ever seen. Does anyone know any other endings (in tv shows or movies) that is anay better than this? Because if there is, that has gotta be a freakin good ending.

The 6 Feet Under season finale was PHENOMONAL!!!! It was such a great ending to such a great series

elliottreed

[16]Sep 15, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think in some ways the Angel finale was the complete opposite of Buffy's finale. Buffy ended with her looking forward to a long and somewhat normal life. Angel ends with us presuming he will be killed. I think in some ways Angel S5 went too far. 3 of the biggest most liked characters were killed off. Cordelia, my personal favourite character in the whole Angelverse, died. Then Fred, the only leading female character left, bites the dust, and then they kill Wesley off. The three of them were so key to the series and I felt that it wasn't fair to kill them all off. None of them really got a particularly spectacular death either. Cordy jus disappeared and her death was never referenced again. Angel was completely in love with her. He should have been mourning her for at least a few episodes but he carried on lyk it never happened. Fred didn't die exactly because her body was taken over by Llyria. And Wesley, the series biggest character gets killed off in the final episode and none of them bat an eyelid. Their deaths should have made more of a mark. They should have left a bigger hole in the world.

grailwolf

[17]Sep 15, 2006
    • level: 55

asutho wrote:
    If by incomplete you when they had planned that as a cliffhanger tilll next season than you are mistaken, Joss changed the ending after he  found out that it was canncelled.

Actually, it's been pretty widely reported that season 5 ended almost exactly the way they had planned from the beginning.  They made some changes so that it would be more... final (certain deaths and such) but the original plan was for this season to end at the beginning of the first battle in Wolfram & Hart's apocolypse.  The next season would have involved (depending on the report) either a post-apocolypse L.A. or else the Fang Gang running from W&H's forces, trying to find a safe haven and a way to strike back.

grailwolf

[18]Sep 15, 2006
    • level: 55

elliottreed wrote:
    I think in some ways the Angel finale was the complete opposite of Buffy's finale. Buffy ended with her looking forward to a long and somewhat normal life. Angel ends with us presuming he will be killed. I think in some ways Angel S5 went too far. 3 of the biggest most liked characters were killed off. Cordelia, my personal favourite character in the whole Angelverse, died. Then Fred, the only leading female character left, bites the dust, and then they kill Wesley off. The three of them were so key to the series and I felt that it wasn't fair to kill them all off. None of them really got a particularly spectacular death either. Cordy jus disappeared and her death was never referenced again. Angel was completely in love with her. He should have been mourning her for at least a few episodes but he carried on lyk it never happened. Fred didn't die exactly because her body was taken over by Llyria. And Wesley, the series biggest character gets killed off in the final episode and none of them bat an eyelid. Their deaths should have made more of a mark. They should have left a bigger hole in the world.

I sort of disagree. 

First, as I have said many times, I don't think the ending was supposed to leave us "presuming he will be killed."  It left us with the message that it honestly doesn't matter whether they win or lose, it is just the fact that they fight which makes them champions.  I mean, Angel has faced worse situations and come through okay, so why does everyone think this is the end?

As for Cordy, her death was referenced throughout the rest of the series!  It was the reason that Angel went after the Black Thorn, and ran his endgame on W&H.  Yes, they messed up by not having anyone say anything about it in the very next episode, but Cordy's death set up everything that happened for the rest of the season.

Fred and Wes may not have had "spectacular" deaths, but for sheer angst and characterization I would put those scenes up against anything else that has ever been done on television.

"Why can't I stay"

"Yes.  Please."

"I wish to do more violence."

tjaman

[19]Sep 15, 2006
    • level: 32
    Grail, give me some kind of warning when you're going to post ... Fred's last line.

It honestly startled a shudder and a whole tear, there.

* damn allergies *

Clipsed

[20]Sep 16, 2006
    • level: 10
    elliottreed wrote:

Fred - Fred's death didn't leave a mark? Did you not see Wesley, remaining little more than a shell himself? Don't you cry every time you watch her die? Was Fred not the one person that the rest of the team loved so completely, none of them were the same afterwards? After she died, that was it for Lorne, he couldn't take it anymore. Wesley retreated to a darkness simlilar to that in early season four. Gunn, full of guilt, having been the one to let the sarcofigus into the country to begin with, actually chose to remain in the holding dimension in Lindsay's place. And Angel and Spike, the two who could have saved her, knew well enough that, despite what they might have felt, sacrificing hundreds of thousands would not have been worth it to her. Her death left scars on all of the characters, and Illyria's presence only made the wounds deeper.

Wesley - Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted Wes to survive, simply because he wasn't Wes anymore. Fred's death effectively killed him as well, and though the last battle may have brought out the old Wes, the intelligent man full of mystical knowladge, to say that he was the same character would be a lie. He didn't want to live anymore, something the remainder of the team knew.

As a side note, they were about to face a hoard of demons. I believe mourning is traditionally done after the battle is over.

Cordy - Angel didn't need to mourn her death afterwards; he effectively was throughout the season. The exchange with Harmony in the first episode in which he informed her that Cordelia was in a coma clearly (imo) showed this, and the last lines of 5.12 ("Thank you.") were probably the closest to closure he will ever get. Cordy will always mean the world to him, Just like Buffy, and it's not as if Angel's known for showing his emotions as it is.

However, as to the rest of the group, I too would have liked at least a mention (Angel was the only one who ever did so) after the fact.

In a neverending war, there are bound to be casualties, and to kill of these characters the way they did, doing what it is they do - Cordelia helping Angel, never letting him give up; Wesley using the knowledge gained both as a watcher and after to help the group, doing what he believed was right even if it would hurt someone else (stealing Connor hurt Angel, simply continuing on hurt Wes); and Fred, the glue that held them all together, showing the strength that kept her alive for five years in Pylea - is a more than fitting end for these beloved characters who, like the rest, shall not fade away.