Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Charisma Carpenter.

kooladey

[1]Nov 30, 2007
    • level: 5

After reading many reviews and discussing with fellow Tv.com members, I have to say I agree that writing Cordelia out of the show the way they did in Home (4x22) was the right thing to do. But Ithe episode is still not in my favourite's catagory.

I know I may be asking this for the millionth time, but does anyone know why Charisma Carpenter got fired. I know she got fired, but I don't know why.... and it's beginning to bug me!!!

Oh, visit my profile and read my reviews if you want to...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

XBSHX

[2]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    She didn't get fired, they just killed off her character since she was pregnant and they couldn't really hide it after she "gave birth" to Jasmine.

SRH55

[3]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 8
    Throughout season 4, she was pregnant in real life. So they had to kill her off and then in season 5 when she came back for "You're Welcome", that was after her pregnancy which is why she looks so delicious in that episode.

SleepTight

[4]Dec 1, 2007
    • level: 36
    She got fired because Joss was either p!ssed at her about the pregnancy (Which are probably just rumors) but most likely, because he thought her character had run out of stories.

kooladey

[5]Dec 2, 2007
    I've heard that she did get fired, but then i also read that it was her choice to leave as she wanted to spend time with her baby... either way, we'll never know....

SleepTight

[6]Dec 2, 2007
    Joss said they told her to go in an interview. That's all I need to know.

kooladey

[7]Dec 2, 2007
    i just thought it was the wrong thing to do to her. she was brilliant on the show, and brought Angel's mood right up - Cordelia could have worked in W&H!!!

Kusonaga

[8]Dec 3, 2007
    • level: 6
    kooladey wrote:
    i just thought it was the wrong thing to do to her. she was brilliant on the show, and brought Angel's mood right up - Cordelia could have worked in W&H!!!

Nah. The whole reason season five works is because Cordy isn't there to steer the team.

kooladey

[9]Dec 3, 2007

Kusonaga wrote:
    kooladey wrote:
    Nah. The whole reason season five works is because Cordy isn't there to steer the team.

see, ithink you're wrong. I think that it would be really if she was there helping the gang out, and keeping angel on his path to redemption. also, kicking some ass again.,,,,

i loved the episode "Your welcome" and i think that would have been the right episoder to bring her in, do that episode, and keep her alive, getting used to W&H and getting a job....

SleepTight

[10]Dec 3, 2007
    I agree, Cordy was the heart, the show didn't work the same when she was gone. I wouldn't have mind her absence unless she had come back for good in 'You're Welcome'.
    it was a great episode, but it would have been better if, you know, she hadn't effing DIED.

lazloscloset

[11]Dec 3, 2007
    I think the majority believes that Charisma Carpenter should NOT have been let go. She had to have been fired because why would she want to leave? I will say that I think in an interview I read some time back she said she wanted to be back for what would end up being the final season. I too believe that she could've worked in S5 not only with the dynamic with Angel but to also develop one with Spike. Imagine Spike and Cordelia verbally sparring. Could have been fun. I will always feel Joss was in the wrong here and that the show really wasn't the same after David Greenwalt left. When Joss took over, the show simply Jumped the Shark in my opinion.

tvtome_xena321

[12]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 27
    I agree, one of my dislikes for season 5 was Cordelia not being there. I actually wouldn't have minded if Cordy died in the series final. I wouldn't even have minded if Cordy came back mid-season and stayed until the end. I just felt Cordelia deserved to be in the Angel final showing her long journey since the Buffy Pilot. I also dislike the final scene, as only Angel was there since the first episode, Spike and Illyria only came in in the last season. Plus they kill Cordy and then Fred, leaving A-Team with just males. Harmony and Illyria dont count. I kinda reckon seeing Cordy and Spike together could of been awesome, I liked there scenes in YW. I agree, the show did seem to jump the shark after Joss took over, It was David Greenwalt decision to bring Cordy over to Angel in the first place, I truly believe Greenwalt liked Cordy more, once he left and Joss took over, Joss got rid of Cordy, I dont think he liked her and Charisma than David Greenwalt.

tjaman

[13]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 32
    If he just "didn't like her," why did he invite her to be part of the roundtable discussion on the bonus DVD in the "Buffy" box set?

He wouldn't have had to, you know.

Kusonaga

[14]Dec 4, 2007
    Season five, especially the second half, would've been incredibly different with Cordelia around. She would never have stood for the decisions the team made during that final season, which is exactly why I love that season. It's depressing, hopeless and even more morally ambiguous than previous seasons. That wouldn't have worked with Cordey around.

NJZ

[15]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 29
    SleepTight wrote:
    I wouldn't have mind her absence unless she had come back for good in 'You're Welcome'.
    it was a great episode, but it would have been better if, you know, she hadn't effing DIED.

I disagree. I love Cordy to death but I think the way her story ended was good. I thought the fact that she died just made everything more hopeless and depressing and that (plus Fred's death) is just what Angel needed to take down W&H (or try atleast). If Cordelia hadn't died and continued working with Angel and the team, I think they all would've had more hope when it came to the final battle (regardless of whether Fred had died or not) because she had that way of making everyone feel better. I don't think that fits into the themes of the show; it's not like BtVS where a happy ending is possible, it's almost a polar opposite to that. Would I have loved Cordy to be there? Yes. Would it have worked? Probably not.

NJZ

[16]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 29
    SleepTight wrote:
    I wouldn't have mind her absence unless she had come back for good in 'You're Welcome'.

I disagree. I love Cordy to death but I think the way her story ended was good. I thought the fact that she died just made everything more hopeless and depressing and that (plus Fred's death) is just what Angel needed to take down W&H (or try atleast). If Cordelia hadn't died and continued working with Angel and the team, I think they all would've had more hope when it came to the final battle (regardless of whether Fred had died or not) because she had that way of making everyone feel better. I don't think that fits into the themes of the show; it's not like BtVS where a happy ending is possible, it's almost a polar opposite to that. Would I have loved Cordy to be there? Yes. Would it have worked? Probably not.

snowy1617

[17]Dec 4, 2007
    I cantr believe angel was the only original left in the last ep either!!! all supernatural beings left, except gunn and it was kinda given he would die eventually. im sad wes got killed off and i agree it would have been good if cordy had of stayed for the rest of the season or at least a few more eps.

NickSeng

[18]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    Even if Cordy was there at the end, it still would be mostly supernatural beings. You forget, she's half-demon.

insomniac360

[19]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 21
    I heard it was because that after 7 years of writing her character, Joss and the guys just didn't know what else to do with Cordelia's character.

JoshSutton

[20]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 15
    insomniac360 wrote:
    I heard it was because that after 7 years of writing her character, Joss and the guys just didn't know what else to do with Cordelia's character.
    I read that in an interview too. And you guys saying she should be brought back, i really disagree tbh. Hear me out, yes it would've been great to have Queen C there for all of her funny lines but the episode You're Welcome wouldnt have been as great oif at all if she had. The final scene makes the episode. Its pretty damn sad too...