Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Need Help!! To Watch or Not Watch!!?! Everyone?!

Llama_of_Drama

[1]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 5
    Hey guys, new to the forum, and kinda new to the show. Since I nver had any cable I've never actually caught an ep of "Angel", maybe that one time I caught like half of one at a friend's house. Anyhow, I was recently in some stores and I saw seasons 1,2,5 on sale so for some odd reason I decided to buy em just cuz they were on sale lol. I  mean I've read tons of ep summaries and reviews of the show but haven't actually fully watched it b4. So these sets are just sitting around unopened right now because I don't know if they're worth it or should I just return them? Is the show really SUPER AMAZING to keep or what? I need help to decide!!! Someone? Anyone? Everyone?!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SleepTight

[2]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 36
    I think that everyone here would say, OPEN THEM.

but sure, there are some people who wouldn't enjoy it. It depends on someone's taste.

Angel is a show with horror, drama and humor.
    i'm not sure if you have seen Buffy before? if you liked that show. than you're at least going to enjoy Angel.

tjaman

[3]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 32
    Open S1 and watch it.

Decide from there.

S1&2 together -- especially if you've seen S1 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (and if you haven't, rent that and watch it first -- it'll give you some of the context you need for the big reveal at the end of S1 of "Angel" to be even bigger) -- are some of the most powerful storytelling anywhere on the box.

I'm actually a little bit jealous of you that you get to see this show for the first time. We've all been there, tho, and I think you'll find it to be a truly enjoyable experience.

After you watch S1&2 -- assuming you like it -- rent or watch S3&4 before going onto S5. S5 makes a lot more sense if you see what led up to it.

It's a very different situation, and ... way too much happens in S3&4 for S5 to make any sense at all from just seeing the first two, imo.

Crack that plastic and enjoy!

teejayboy

[4]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 8

well, duh!! Of coourse you have to watch it!!!!! I dont think you should only watch season 1 even though its awesome, some of the episodes give off the wrong impression of the show. I think Season 2 would be a good sseason to start out on, the only problem being its really dramatic, and you wont get SOME of whats going on. Season 5 would be a bad star (even though its the best season) Because, well, ITS THE LAST SEASON!! So, id say watch season 2 and decide.

an,no, you should not get your money back

mateo82p

[5]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 9
    Actually, you can do without season 3 and 4. The only thing worth seeing in that time span is the intro of Fred. The rest is pretty forgettable.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[6]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 21
    you'll realize that most of us disagree with Mateo on that last point, but that's what's so great about this place...we are all free to express our opinions here

NickSeng

[7]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 17
    We are?

Alright! Let the Angel bashings begin!

ISpeakTheTruth

[8]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 33

FoxMulder_GMAN wrote:
    but that's what's so great about this place...we are all free to express our opinions here

What?! Who the hell told you that nonsense?  If your opinion is different from the whole then you are wrong and should be shunned for your  heretic beliefs

FoxMulder_GMAN

[9]Jun 21, 2006
    ISpeakTheTruth wrote:

FoxMulder_GMAN wrote:
    but that's what's so great about this place...we are all free to express our opinions here

What?! Who the hell told you that nonsense?  If your opinion is different from the whole then you are wrong and should be shunned for your  heretic beliefs

that kind of talk can only lead to.....interesting discussions, lol

tjaman

[10]Jun 21, 2006

Without getting too spoilerish, mateo,
    if he jumps from S2 to S5, he'll miss out on major motive forces in the
    life of the series, such as who Connor is, what the hell is meant to
    have happened to Cordy (I mean, suddenly she's not there? What?!), some
    major backstory on why
    everyone loves Fred so much and what makes her S5 arc so meaningful
    (he'll barely have met Fred at all), and a lot of what's up with Gunn
    and with Wesley and oh yeah -- HOW'D THEY GO FROM WORKING OUT OF A
    HOTEL TO OWNING A DANG LAW FIRM???

That last one I emphasized because it seems like that'd be a hugely jarring shift from "There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb" to, say, "Conviction."

Just saying he should at least rent S3 and S4.

There's a couple small continuity concerns without them.

And that's, of course, if he likes the series in the first place. It's hardly universal. But if he sees S1 he'll have a basic outline of who these people are and if he's as electrified by them and the storytelling as, say, some of us.

Dropping into S2 when you're completely new to the series is ... confusing, and you lose some of the coolness -- specifically, Doyle.
    Edited on 06/21/2006 9:26pm

superman8119

[11]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 25
    i wouldent angel is a great show form 1 to 5 i love them all

tjaman

[12]Jun 21, 2006
    Thre's halfnekkid people on the forum again and none of them are Julie Benz. What gives?

Apostasies

[13]Jun 21, 2006

tjaman wrote:
    Without getting too spoilerish, mateo, if he jumps from S2 to S5, he'll miss out on major motive forces in the life of the series, such as who Connor is, what the hell is meant to have happened to Cordy (I mean, suddenly she's not there? What?!), some major backstory on why everyone loves Fred so much and what makes her S5 arc so meaningful (he'll barely have met Fred at all), and a lot of what's up with Gunn and with Wesley and oh yeah -- HOW'D THEY GO FROM WORKING OUT OF A HOTEL TO OWNING A DANG LAW FIRM???

That last one I emphasized because it seems like that'd be a hugely jarring shift from "There's No Place Like Plrtz Glrb" to, say, "Conviction."

Just saying he should at least rent S3 and S4.

There's a couple major continuity concerns without them.

Teej is right. Season 3 is phenomenal as a whole (at least I think) and really had some bedazzling moments (and breathless cliffhangers) that tug at your heartstrings and make you wish you didn't have emotions. Season 4, while people have their disagreements, and some view as an overall weak season, is certainly worth watching for several standout episodes and a unique style and approach unlike any other season (season 5 is also radically different than any other season). There are also some pretty sweet action scenes and big bad guys in season 4, and you can't deny that the whole arc(s) is at least thought-provoking.

tjaman

[14]Jun 21, 2006

No. One cannot deny that.

While I'm one of the loudest detractors of S4 as part of the whole "Angel" experience, it is still part
    of that experience -- an important part -- a whole fifth of it, in fact -- and for that reason alone, well worth watching.

Even if it did feel more than a
    little disjointed and more than a little cobbled together and
    forced the players more than a little out of character and went more
    than a little overbudget and is more than a little blamed (by me) for
    getting the series cancelled.

As I say in "The Loopier Things": "That being said, it's much better by far than everything on the Frog!"
    Edited on 06/21/2006 9:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.

SleepTight

[15]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 36
    yeah, season 3 and 4 are definitely necessary.
    filled with some of the series best episodes, 'Birthday', ''Waiting in the wings, 'Sleep tight', 'A new world', 'Tomorrow', 'Apocalypse nowish', 'Habeas Corpses', 'Soulles', 'Orpheus', 'Inside out', 'Home' and so much more.
    I personally think season 3 and 4 are the best.
    Season 3 has a great feeling, probably the best storylines.
    Season 4 is a big 22 episode-movie filled with superb episodes.

I wonder if Llama has already opened her/his dvd's.

nemesis47

[16]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 4
    I think that you should start with S2. That was the one I first bought and I found it amazing. I bought it without seeing any episodes of Angel before [with the exception of Awakening from s4, but it made very little sense.] I found that episode very good [despite not understanding it] and since I loved Buffy and the character of Angel I decided to buy it. The fact that Cordy was in it really pushed me to buy it as well [I was sort of disappointed that she wasn't in s4 of Buffy which I think brought the quality of the first half of the season down, along with some other factors.] So open s2, if you like it then open the other ones. You're lucky that you got three at once though. I ordered s3 from amazon about a week ago and it still isn't here. I'm going crazy.

tjaman

[17]Jun 22, 2006
    There, there -- it'll be there soon.

* ups nemesis' medication *

S3 kicked so much ass.

quantumcat2

[18]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 6

I think you should send your dvds to nem.

Seriously,the Angel series is awesome.

It succeeds on so many varied levels that you'll forgive the less than perfect parts even as you're screaming in protest over them.

(That's not counting the parts that seem underwhelming until they turn into the linchpins of the whole megillah... )

Even if you haven't gotten addicted to Joss' style through Buffy or Firefly,you'll find the laughs,thrills and heartbreak becoming a permanent part of you.

Not everyone would be comfortable with that.

If a gripping story,characterization as sweet and layered as a baklava,and sneaky,rapid-fire humor are more important than comfort,then hold onto those discs for dear life.

You're in for quite a treat.

Edited on 06/22/2006 8:50pm

tjaman

[19]Jun 22, 2006
    Then I'd have to up my medication.

Llama_of_Drama

[20]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    Oh wow! What a load or responses!! Thanx for all the feedback guys....definitely helped me make a decision...and i totally opened them!! I haven't watched it since I haven't the time but I did flip thru the series finale and whoa....can't believe it ended like that! It seemed like it was set up for another season or something....left hanging...I thought the show found out in advance that it was being cancelled so it could wrap up properly. But I also heard rumors there were gonna be some tv movies made or something after the show ended.  So maybe that's why the last moments were left as such in a "Oh my gosh! Holy s**t" moment? Doesn't look like the tv movies materialised tho lol! In any case I'm gonna try and watch the pilot 2nite and we'll see from there but thanx alot for the feedback guys!!