Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Not Fade Away

Opinions on "Not Fade Away"

TeemerDJ

[21]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 12
    SmashedEntropy wrote:
    I loved it. it was so diffrent from the Buffy finale, none of the core cast lived!!(cause well poor Gunn only had 10 mins left.) So great,well not great but way unexpected IMO. I really enjoyed the last line and thought is was fitting that the ones left were all at one point or another intent on destroying or making it their world, to see them come together to save it was breath taking! Also the writters I feel left it up to the fans(at that point in time) to use their imagination on the out come of the war. I remember watching it with my older brother and just throwing out ideas of what happen during the fight, and how we thought L.A would never be the same! I also threw out the idea that maybe just maybe Angel and spike were made human again because the PTB felt fit to bestoe their lives back for fighting the good fight!

What do you mean none of the core cast lived? Have you not read Angel Season 6/After the Fall?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xenophilius90

[22]Feb 2, 2008
    • level: 5
    well Technically in after the fall no core cast is "alive"

SmashedEntropy

[23]Feb 3, 2008
    • level: 2
    TeemerDJ wrote:
    SmashedEntropy wrote:
    I loved it. it was so diffrent from the Buffy finale, none of the core cast lived!!(cause well poor Gunn only had 10 mins left.) So great,well not great but way unexpected IMO. I really enjoyed the last line and thought is was fitting that the ones left were all at one point or another intent on destroying or making it their world, to see them come together to save it was breath taking! Also the writters I feel left it up to the fans(at that point in time) to use their imagination on the out come of the war. I remember watching it with my older brother and just throwing out ideas of what happen during the fight, and how we thought L.A would never be the same! I also threw out the idea that maybe just maybe Angel and spike were made human again because the PTB felt fit to bestoe their lives back for fighting the good fight!

What do you mean none of the core cast lived? Have you not read Angel Season 6/After the Fall?

Nope, have not read it yet.

alti_fan

[24]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 6
    It frustrated me...In Angel great characters like Lilah, Fred, Wesley and Cordelia are all killed off, yet in Buffy they keep Andrew and Xander alive....what the fk?

seto1

[25]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    its among the greatest finale ever in my mind.

tvownsLEXIE

[26]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 21
    I absolutely loved it, cried my heart out the first time I saw it, and I was in the car headed towards South Carolina going on vacation! I especially loved that it was nothing like the Buffy finale. They both ended two totally different ways, and I really loved that Angel got to go it's own way even though it started as a spin-off. (Though I am one of those rare people that loves Angel so much more than Buffy).

To sum up- fabulous ending!

Friendsfan121

[27]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 6
    I also cried when "Fred" talked to Wes. I think that it was a good ending. I personally liked Buffy's better, just because I am an optimistic person and prefer a happy ending. I think that the ending suited the show well.

fatfreeoreos

[28]Jan 22, 2009
    • level: 40
    Any episode, especially a finale, that can make me cry gets good marks in my book.

No1Slayerette

[29]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 9

Um, can someone help me out here? I've read through most of the posts about the finale and the general consensus is that most love it because it encompassed the meaning of the entire show really well. I was just wondering if anyone could be more specific for me about why they loved it so much because I certainly wasn't a huge fan of it. Although Buffy and Angel are my first and second favourite television shows of all time respectively I found both their finales disappointing.

fatfreeoreos

[30]Feb 4, 2009
    Well, I suppose that's just personal taste. Not all fans agree that either finale was right for the endings, but probably for different reasons.

NJZ

[31]Feb 5, 2009
    • level: 29
    No1Slayerette wrote:
    the general consensus is that most love it because it encompassed the meaning of the entire show really well. I was just wondering if anyone could be more specific for me about why they loved it so much

To put it briefly, ANGEL was always about fighting the good fight, against all the odds; and thats how it went out, with them fighting the good fight...against the odds. I would give more detail but I've wrote why I loved NFA so many times in so many different ways over the years that I kinda don't feel like writing it all over again. I'm sure someone else is probably willing to go into more detail though.

seto1

[32]Feb 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    i loved it but it left me feeling really sad about the shamshu

fatfreeoreos

[33]Feb 6, 2009
    I know, I felt that way too when he just had to sign it over like it meant nothing when it has been his motivation for almost the whole series. But then again, it proves just how selfless he is.

ddwells

[34]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 3

NJZ wrote:
    No1Slayerette wrote:
    the general consensus is that most love it because it encompassed the meaning of the entire show really well. I was just wondering if anyone could be more specific for me about why they loved it so much
    To put it briefly, ANGEL was always about fighting the good fight, against all the odds; and thats how it went out, with them fighting the good fight...against the odds. I would give more detail but I've wrote why I loved NFA so many times in so many different ways over the years that I kinda don't feel like writing it all over again. I'm sure someone else is probably willing to go into more detail though.

i totally agree angel knew his fight may never be over where as buffy was always trying to find the end the series finale of angel ended just before a fight which could not of been won where as for buffy she defeated the first evil as well as created a army of slayers and ending her struggle

CoraxCZ

[35]Mar 23, 2009

alti_fan wrote:
    It frustrated me...In Angel great characters like Lilah, Fred, Wesley and Cordelia are all killed off, yet in Buffy they keep Andrew and Xander alive....what the fk?

And yet this is IMHO only to Buffy's detriment, because while Giles, Xander, Anya, Dawn (and by S7 pretty much everyone who isn't blonde skinny idiot) stagnate without anything interesting to do, AtS managed to use characters better (even Lorne, while neglected, at least showed the toll that the fight against evil can take on someone).

Yes, Fred was killed, but it added sence of urgency to the season 5, introduced IMO far more interesting Illyria and gave Amy Acker chance to prove she's actually very good actress.

Lilah died and I missed her, but it also brought endlessly fascinating Wes/Lilah scenes in Salvage and Home (Wesley trying to free Lilah from her contract is IMO the most romantic scene in Angelverse).

Wesley was always tragic hero, trying his best and never quite suceeding, so his death and "failure" to eliminate Vail (he succeded at rehabilitating Illyria though) rang true to me.

IMO better to have good death scene and postmortem impact than being steadily marginalized.

I'll grant you Cordy. Even though she had pretty good goodbye in You're Welcome (and was idealized to the point of Mary-Sueism), treatment of her character was occasionally frakking weird and almost sadistic. Well, let's just say it's no coincidence many people still ask "Why does Joss hate Charisma Carpenter so much?"

At least none of them got blink-and-you-miss-it death like Anya or Amanda.

No1Slayerette, Angel's core message is "If nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do." Or if you want to phrase it differently: Even when the odds are ridiculously against you, you never stop fighting, because continuing to fight is a victory in itself. You can make a difference and after you inevitably die, other people will take up the mantle and try to improve people's lifes.

Angel was always seeking redemption which, as he points out, is eternal work in progress. It's about the fight, not the victory. Angel's quest for redemption won't end even if he slaughtered the entire Senior Partner's army. There's always going to be evil to vanquish, and there's always going to be someone doing the vanquishing.

Since Doyle's death in Hero it was acknowledged that only way to truly atone is to die fighting, so despite whatever bad!fic writers may think, Angel isn't going to fulfill his quota of people to save, shanshu, instantly forget all the people he got killed and walk with Buffy into sunset, possibly in search of mall (ptui, die Chosen!).

Team Angel dedicates their lifes to fighting evil. They are not going to stop fighting. Never.

Beside the fact that NFA is thematically strong, it's also just plain good written and manages to use all characters excellently. Unlike the other series finale. You know, the one with Angel's ex, that is all about Buffy, Spike and some whiny girls no one cares about and erases six years of "Buffy's strenght is in her friends and humanity" and replaces it with "It's all about Spike. Er, Power, that's it."

In terms of sheer awesomeness: Not Fade Away >>> Your Ordinary Series Finale >>> Chosen

Edited on 03/23/2009 1:35am

tjaman

[36]Mar 23, 2009
    • level: 32
    See, this is why we miss you when you're not here, Corax.

CoraxCZ

[37]Mar 24, 2009

tjaman wrote:
    See, this is why we miss you when you're not here, Corax.

Thanks, TJ! It's good to be back.

fatfreeoreos

[38]Mar 24, 2009
    Well, where were you?

CoraxCZ

[39]Mar 26, 2009

fatfreeoreos wrote:
    Well, where were you?

I was dead. Um, no, rat.

Wait a minute...

tjaman

[40]Mar 26, 2009
    • level: 32
    He got better.