Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Was it just me or was Buffy way better?

CWer1992

[1]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 6
    This is my opinion I understand if you don't agree!

Buffy was a really original show it was funny,dark and also had a great cast and ofcourse amazing creator for me buffy season 2-7 were perfect TV.I loved it so about season 5 of Buffy I decided to check out Angel season 1 was really good and I loved Cordelia and how they made her very likeable more than they did in Buffy.Also you really like Angel on his own in Buffy you needed him with Buffy to be interesting (Unless he was evil) and they made Wesley cool.But season 2 was annoying I loved to see Darla and Dru back but I felt that Angel going to the dark side was boring and also it was a little too dark.Then season 3 was ok Connor was very interesting and Fred was so loveable.Then season 4 I couldn't even watch!Connor and Cordy!WHA?Then they make her evil and kill her off and wrap it all up in one episode in the horrible finale that I watched a day after the series finale of Buffy and it really dissapointed me.So when Buffy got canned I was heartbroken but I was interested to see that Angel got renewed.So I watched season 5 and it was really awsome and was like Buffy and the dynamic between Angel and Spike was great and when they made Fred evil they didn't kill her off instead made the amazing Illyria.This series was very dark but it was still good.

Finally here is how I feel about the two shows season by season:

Buffy-
    1=4/5
    2=5/5
    3=5/5
    4=5/5
    5=5/5
    6=5/5
    7=5/5

Angel-
    1=4/5
    2=2/5
    3=3/5
    4=1/5
    5=5/5
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[2]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 23
    Buffy was slightly better IMO but not way better. And AS2 2/5? Massively disagree, it is better than the vast majority of BtVS IMO.

KingofIPirates

[3]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 32
    CWer1992 wrote:
    It was just you; Angel was way better from top to bottom, with a far more engaging and compelling storyline, far more humorous, deeper and better executed plot overall along with better written and developed characters.

TwistedConverse

[4]Jul 8, 2009
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    CWer1992 wrote:
    It was just you; Angel was way better from top to bottom, with a far more engaging and compelling storyline, far more humorous, deeper and better executed plot overall along with better written and developed characters.

It was hardly just the OP. There are quite a few people who love Buffy but cannot get into Angel, whereas you rarely see the opposite.

SuperSaiyanTien

[5]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 13

I actually, just watch Angel, for the pure reason that I was so upset when Buffy ended...that I would have watched ANYTHING set in the Buffyverse,

even an entire series devoted to the nerd-trio, just to stay in the buffyverse

But Angel as a show, isn't bad, but better than Buffy? Nope.

Human_Typhoon

[6]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 5
    Buffy is decent but Angel is far better. Some of Buffy's characters tended to be downright cheesy at times while Angel's characters were more inclined to be more mature and have more of a purpose.
    Even most of the characters that originally appeared on Buffy seemed to improve on Angel.
    Edited on 07/09/2009 12:36am

___Mr_Nasty___

[7]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 24
    Yeah I'd say Angel was the superior show. However, my favourite season of all twelve is Buffy S3.

taylor1308

[8]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 9

I agree that people rarely think a spin-off of a show is better than the original but that's how i feel. I think Angel is WAY better than Buffy...but i don't know why. I love Buffy but for some reason if i had to choose one to watch, it would definitely be Angel. I just feel it's better.

The only thing i can agree on is that Angel Season 5 is the best!!

Edited on 08/08/2009 6:21am

TV_Knight

[9]Jul 9, 2009
    • level: 7
    Nah, overall Buffy was better. Buffy's best were 3,4,2,1,5, in that order worst were 6 + 7 seven being so bad I only watched it once.

Angel's best in order 5,1,2 (only the Pylea episodes for season 2) and worst were 4 + 3 both being unwatchably bad. (except for Faith's return in 4 and the Angel gang losing their memories in 4)

Overall in all twelve seasons of Buffy/Angel, Angel season 5 is my favorite though.

Also, (for whoever mentioned this) Cordy never goes bad or gets with Angel's son, her body was taken over remember?

placesalep

[10]Jul 10, 2009
    • level: 7
    No, It seemed to be Angel was always the better show. Probably because it had a darker premise.

spikemaniac

[11]Jul 10, 2009
    • level: 50
    This topic will always be pretty much divided.

I personally preferred Buffy over Angel, but I can completely understand why people would prefer Angel. I've only seen Angel once through, and Buffy maybe 6 or 7 times through, so that probably explains why I prefer Buffy. But there were definitely episodes or whole seasons of Angel that were way better than specific episodes or seasons in Buffy. I think Angel is a more consistent show in quality. But IMO Buffy's greater episodes beat the greater episodes of Angel. By the same token, Buffy has a lot of very weak episodes and 2 very weak seasons that Angel didn't really seem to have for me.

Mizproadd

[12]Jul 11, 2009

I think Angel was a bit better overall than Buffy.

Buffy while it had some great seasons it also some really bad seasons particularly Season 6 and 7, Angel was more consistent.

Out of the two Angel also had the best Season, it being Season 5 which is slightly ahead by Buffy's best season: Season 3.

Hair_Metal_Kev

[14]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 4
    Its really weird peoples tastes, for me at least season 4 of Angel was my favorite out of all 12 seasons.

Its shows how strong Angel was in that it got better every year for me while Buffy season 7 got lost along the way some what in my opinion.

TwistedConverse

[15]Jul 14, 2009
    Hair_Metal_Kev wrote:
    Its really weird peoples tastes, for me at least season 4 of Angel was my favorite out of all 12 seasons.

Its shows how strong Angel was in that it got better every year for me while Buffy season 7 got lost along the way some what in my opinion.

If Angel got better every year, how come S4 was your fave then? By that logic wouldn't S5 be your fave?

I iz smart.

SMGslayer97

[17]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 34
    Well I think the biggest factor in whether you think Angel or Buffy is better is more a matter of taste. For example I tend to be a fan of darker, more dramatic shows so I tend to land on Angel as my favorite. Then again it has I would say more of an angst-y feel which I'm not a fan of sometimes so I can see why some people would prefer Buffy.

However I think Angel is better. In large part because it had the better characters, more developed and more complex through out all the five years. For me Buffy though it was always great and for a long time I did prefer it just didn't appeal to my tastes as much as Angel did. As I said I think it's more a matter of tastes then one show being better then the other because they are actually quite different shows, more then people realize.

Hair_Metal_Kev

[19]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 4

TwistedConverse wrote:
    Hair_Metal_Kev wrote:
    Its really weird peoples tastes, for me at least season 4 of Angel was my favorite out of all 12 seasons. Its shows how strong Angel was in that it got better every year for me while Buffy season 7 got lost along the way some what in my opinion.
    If Angel got better every year, how come S4 was your fave then? By that logic wouldn't S5 be your fave? I iz smart.

Haha yes you got me! Well season 4 is my favorite most consistant season, but season 5's second half is the best constant run! I'm sure if the net work hadn't insisted on more stand alones during the first half it would easily over take season 4 as a whole. I just loved everything about season 4 from The enemys (The Beast, Angelus, Cordelia, Jasmine, Skip) to the guest appearances by Faith & Willow. Also having a full season so arc based was a first for me. By the time Jasmine came the unexpected break from fighting was I thought a work of genius. Back in the day I remember someone making a thread on here suspecting Cordelia early on... nearly every poster shot the theory to bits... good times!

CJJohanson

[20]Jul 19, 2009
    I have only seen seasons one and five, selected episodes of season four, nothing of seasons two and three (read synopsis's on the net to catch up) of Angel. I have all the seasons of Buffy and I love it, but Angel does seem darker, which I love, and more mature. The reasoning I see behind the more mature thing is because Joss created Buffy with the theme: High school is hell. Obviously Angel is about humanity and being an adult, so of course its going to be more mature. Angel is the superior of the two, but that doesn't mean Buffy should be tossed away.