Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Was it just me or was Buffy way better?

Orpheus2017

[41]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 3
    Joss Whedon's a little strange, he's the most staunch feminist I've ever seen, which is cool but it doesn't work when the main characters male, so it was dragged along when Kate would stick it to him instead of saying thanks, but you must remember that the abortion known as Twilight is a rip off of the complicated relationship of Angel and Buffy (whereas the two can't have sex b.c. he's too strong or some lame crap, or Buffy and Angel can't have sex b.c. he loves her to the point of pure happiness.), but Buffy did get a rip off in Dollhouse, but that was made by Whedon himself so thats skating uphill(Down FANBOY, down), but Angel got a rip off too(Moonlight). Even twilight(blech) got a rip off, (Vampire Diaries). Combining all that, its easy to see why it looks like Buffy was better, but she got dragged down when even Xander could kill a demon, not just a vampire, by himself, and again when the Slayer pop. jumped 100%, it was like on DBZ when all the remaining Saiyajins became Super, it took it away from Goku. I liked Angel better, less emotional consequences and love triangles
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TwistedConverse

[42]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 23
    ^^ Dollhouse is absolutely NOTHING like Buffy.

KingofIPirates

[43]Oct 25, 2009
    • level: 32
    Orpheus2017 wrote:
    Even twilight(blech) got a rip off, (Vampire Diaries).
    The Vampire Diaries came out well before Twilight.

Orpheus2017

[44]Oct 26, 2009

TwistedConverse wrote:

So do you favor Buffy or Dollhouse?

TwistedConverse

[45]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 23
    Orpheus2017 wrote:

TwistedConverse wrote:

So do you favor Buffy or Dollhouse?

Love both but prefer Buffy.

Orpheus2017

[46]Oct 30, 2009
    I love them both too, but I could go 3 more seasons of Angel. (the comics are awesome but it is not the same)

MrHeavySilence

[47]Oct 31, 2009
    • level: 2

buildam2005 wrote:
    While I think both shows are wonderful--two of the best ever done--I feel that what gives Buffy the edge is that it has so many more stand-alone ridiculously good experimental episodes. Buffy has Hush, The Body, and Once More, With Feeling, all three of which were highly experimental and highly successful in the endeavor. The only one I can think of on Angel that is sort of similar is Waiting in the Wings. Now, I haven't watched Angel as many times through as I've watched Buffy, so perhaps there are more that I'm just not thinking of, but I think that gives Buffy the slight edge.

Angel has some pretty experimental episodes too, both in content and narrative format. Waiting In The Wings, Spin The Bottle, Smile Time, Soul Purpose etc, some equally experimental and successful episodes. Soul Purpose, by the way, is completely underrated.

Personally I do agree that it all depends on tastes and that neither show is better than the other. My favorite was Angel. I identified more with Angel than Buffy. Buffy was like the teen show; Angel was more of an adult show. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Buffy too, but it was never as captivating to me as Angel was, probably because the adult/teen aspect diverged them into two very unique shows. To me, Angel felt more meaningful, introspective, action-packed etc. Characters on both shows gradually became very introspective and complex, though personally I gravitated towards the Angel characters of course. Sometimes I felt like Buffy was a chore to watch; other times it was as addictive as watching Angel (Im sure Buffy fans have the opposite experience). Even though I enjoyed and preferred Angel more, I have to say that Buffy and Angel should be considered absolute equals. But man, it is heartbreaking for an Angel fan to see those polls, because Firefly and Buffy always beat Angel when I always feel like each one should take 33% =/

netgoddess

[49]Nov 6, 2009
    • level: 10
    I love both, although this thread is like debating Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Granted I just started my journey on the Buffyverse a few weeks ago; I saw the first three seasons of Buffy then the first couple episodes of S4.

Then I thought I'd give Angel a try and have been hooked from the first episode. I love how strong the female leads in Buffy are, but I feel like the stories in Angel are a lot deeper.

Again it is like comparing DW and TW, I like TW better but that doesn't mean I want to miss episodes of DW. But when I got ahold of Buffy S4 and Angel S1, I have been more inclined to pop in Angel episodes.

Buffy's strength is in the characters, and Angel's strength is in the storylines. Buffy's monster-of-the-week is really like a catalyst for character development, but Angel has more interesting mythology behind it, while still balancing in plenty of character development. Buffy doesn't connect much to the background characters, but the background characters in Angel are deeper and more interesting.

Angel is more about being a hero and seeking out people to help, Buffy is more about saving the day from imminent threats as they pop up. So it is kind of a proactive vs reactive, or offensive vs defensive style for the shows.

Anyway, my opinions may change once I've had a chance to see all the episodes of both shows. But it is kind of like having two siblings, you may feel a closer bond to one over the other, but that doesn't mean you don't still love both of them.

netgoddess

[50]Nov 6, 2009
    MrHeavySilence wrote:

Firefly and Buffy always beat Angel when I always feel like each one should take 33% =/

I love Firefly. But I feel like Buffyverse had a lot more going for it; perhaps had it not been canceled I'd feel differently.

netgoddess

[52]Nov 9, 2009
    I do love Buffy, I just can relate more to Angel because the storylines are more adult. I connect better with Cordelia and Angel. I just relate more to them. I have regrets so I understand Angel's fight for redemption, and I appreciate Cordy's frankness, although she does lack tact at times, there's something to be said for her level of honesty.

It might change when I get a chance to see how Willow's character evolves, since I am bi so I'm interested to see her in a same-sex relationship. But mostly high school / college stuff feels like a lifetime ago; I have plenty of real-life issues to face and the stories in Angel feel more "real". But hey I do love Buffy's wardrobe. It beats out Cordelia's in spite of her obsession with fashion. But Cordy's million-dollar hollywood smile is full of win.

spikemaniac

[53]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 50
    netgoddess wrote:
    I love both, although this thread is like debating Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Hehe it really is. The original is fun whereas the spin-off is darker.

I know I've posted in this thread already, but I'll say it again: it's really up to personal taste. I prefer Buffy because it's more cheery. Angel gets a bit heavy and when I just need to escape, it doesn't entirely do it for me like Buffy does.
    Also one of my main beefs with Angel is season 4. I can't stand it.
    ***SPOILER***
    Also I think the first half of season 5 is really boring.
    Edited on 11/09/2009 5:34pm

netgoddess

[54]Nov 9, 2009
    spikemaniac wrote:

Also one of my main beefs with Angel is season 4. Also I think the first half of season 5 is really boring.
    I haven't gotten that far yet...

spikemaniac

[55]Nov 9, 2009
    Whoops sorry, I better put that in spoiler tags.

The_Dude14

[56]Nov 12, 2009
    • level: 7

I own Buffy Seasons 1-3 on DVD. I own the entire Angel Series (and before they released the Complete Series Box set, I owned 4 and 5. I also own a second copy of one, because Disc 1 of my complete Box set malfunctioned and I NEEDED that Spike episode). Further, I have absolutely no plans to purchase any of the remaining Buffy Seasons (I gave some thoughts to Season 7, because I absolutely loved Caleb, but passed on it. I also had Season 6 for a time, because Xander saving the world was big, to me, but would sell it back to scrounge up money for the Angel set).

Yeah, I prefer Angel and its not very close. Buffy lost A LOT when it graduated high school (not to mention the cast members that moved to Angel), IMO. While certainly there were stand-out episodes in the later seasons of Buffy, on the whole, none of the seasons or their overall arcs did a lot for me. Meanwhile, Angel finds its groove late in Season 1 and maintains a ridiculously high consistency to the end. While I certainly understand a lot of people's problems with Season 4, I'm not bothered by them and I found Season 4 to be a remarkable season and ride, probably only topped by the last leg of Season 5. The Battle between The Beast and Angel Inc from Apacalypse Nowish is probably one of my favorite things I've seen on TV. Season 5 takes a while to find its footing, but the last leg was, again, remarkable.

Its funny, too. On their initial runs, I lasted a lot longer with Buffy than Angel. Initially Angel lost me when they killed Doyle. I stuck with Buffy into Season 5, before losing interest, and Buffy would draw me in again at the ends of Season 6 and 7. It wasn't until syndication and being able to watch Angel on a day to day basis that I really got hooked in.

Edited on 11/12/2009 4:07pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tommytv

[58]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 2

Im sorry to be sexist here but Angel was better to watch and Better for guys to watch. Buffy was good at times but it got girlie. Aspecially From season 4 With Tara and willlow, and Dawn. you just got aloud of teen girlie issues and vampire fighting.

With Angel it was more serious and darker. it had better stories and character building. Stories with Doyle and his death, Wesley Kidnapping Conner and got darker, Angel and Conner, Cordelia, Fred and Gunn in season 5. Buffy may had some Character building but I only really saw it from Buffy and Spike in last few seasons.

Angel was better for story wise and seriousness.

netgoddess

[59]Nov 21, 2009
    Buffy is more character-driven and Angel is more story-driven. Since I'm female then Buffy doesn't seem overly girly...but I agree with you on the maturity thing. Buffy is more of a coming-of-age character-driven drama set on a supernatural backdrop. Angel has much deeper storylines and is more serious and mature. Not that Buffy is all fun and games, it has plenty of darkness. But Angel's stories feel more "real" somehow. I guess it is how the tone is set; Angel kills off Doyle so quickly without any warning; but Buffy kills off Joyce over multiple episodes with lots of foreshadowing so it is not a total shock. I guess a lot of it is that Angel is really unpredictable while Buffy more or less repeats the same formula. Angel doesn't give you much of a comfort zone and is willing to change things up significantly from one episode to the next, while Buffy generally gives you ample warning before making a drastic change.

spikemaniac

[60]Nov 23, 2009
    netgoddess wrote:
    Buffy is more character-driven and Angel is more story-driven.

Actually I think I agree with you on that.