TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Angel Forums

The WB (ended 2004)

Why was Doyle killed off?

JoeMacbeth

[1]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 14

This has probably been asked many times before, but I want to know the answer. I just finished rewatching Angel on DVD and its been bugging me that Doyle such a great character was killed off after just 9 episodes. How come?

Also, does anyone else find it weird and kind of creepy that first he died on the show then not too long afterwards he died in real life.

R.I.P Glenn Quinn, you irish rogue

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bango_Berryrush

[2]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 9
    JoeMacbeth wrote:

This has probably been asked many times before, but I want to know the answer. I just finished rewatching Angel on DVD and its been bugging me that Doyle such a great character was killed off after just 9 episodes. How come?

Also, does anyone else find it weird and kind of creepy that first he died on the show then not too long afterwards he died in real life.

R.I.P Glenn Quinn, you irish rogue

There's been recent threads about his departure...

But, rumor has it, GQ was too messed up on drugs while filming ANGEL, that they had to graceously let him go...

...And if that's the reason, then it's no surprise that DQ sadly died from a drug overdose.

The other threads probably have said this before...

SMGslayer97

[3]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 34
    It was what it was, drugs or other. I honestly don't think it was anything great though other wise we would have been given some kind of answer about it when season 1 was first airing and Doyle was first killed off. If I remember correctly we weren't. Unless I'm not remembering correctly.

tjaman

[4]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 32
    grail has answered this before, and better.

The information he has suggests Doyle was someone Joss enjoyed working with and wouldn't have been in any way averse to bringing back later.

If he hadn't died.

ISpeakTheTruth

[5]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 33
    Well we've never seen this thread before now have we?

Charisma69

[6]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 18
    *Suddenly experiences deja vu*

NickSeng

[7]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 17
    What I'm about to reveal has never been told before. In fact, some goverment agencies would lock you upin a dark cell for having this information. So read on at your own discretion.

Glenn Quinn is not dead. Not even close. In fact there is really no such person. Glenn Quinn is really an amalgation for several alien entities sent to this earth to combat the opposing alien entity known only as J.O.S.S (Jorvian Outer Space Symbiote). Because this new alien entity was unknown to J.O.S.S, who had been assimilating earth culture years before Q.U.I.N.N (make up your own abbreviation, I'm all out), it inadvertantly cast it as a main character in a new tv show it was creating, designed to make people actually think. (Which, in retrospect, made it obvious that J.O.S.S is an alien entity)

By the time J.O.S.S found out about Q.U.I.N.N, he was already 8 episodes in. Desperate, J.O.S.S killed off the character on-screen, while in real-life, disposed of the entity secretly. J.O.S.S then created a simulacrum of the Q.U.I.N.N entity which masquerades as the original until J.O.S.S felt it was safe to dispose of it without being tied back to him.

tjaman

[8]Oct 22, 2006
    Well, that's just silly.

NickSeng

[9]Oct 22, 2006
    Yes.

Yes, it is.

I blame Mondays.

ISpeakTheTruth

[10]Oct 22, 2006
    • level: 33

Charisma69 wrote:
    *Suddenly experiences deja vu*

You know there are pills for that now...Just don't drive or operate machinery for about three hours after taking it

JoeMacbeth

[11]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 14
    I never said this was a unique topic, i was just looking for some answers. drug abuse, which eventually killed him does make the most sense. its very sad, he was a talented actor.

grailwolf

[12]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 55
    I have, indeed, mentioned this elsewhere, but while some rumors claim that drugs were involved with Glenn's departure from the show, those rumors didn't start until after his death, and have never been backed up by anyone who was connected in any way to the production. In fact, both David Boreanaz and Christian Kane were good friends with Glenn offscreen, and continued to hang out with him on a reglar basis until his death. They were both shocked by his death, saying that they did not realize he was using (or that he was using that much, I am unable to find the original quotes to clarify). Those are odd statements for people who worked with him to make if he'd been fired for using drugs at the workplace.

On the ohther hand, Joss himself has said that he created the character of Doyle with the intention of killing him off early in the series. This was partly to have a way to believably pass the visions on the Cordy, and partly to send the message that people weren't safe on this show, and that even beloved regular characters could be killed.

If you'll recall, he did the same thing with the character of Jesse in the first two episodes of Buffy. This time, though, he decided to stretch the character's arc out a little longer to give the death more impact and make it less obvious.

In short, there is no reason to think that drugs had anything to do with Glenn leaving the show.

SMGslayer97

[13]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 34
    I really always thought that they planned to kill Doyle off early on. It alwyas felt a little soon to me. But that doesn't mean that it didn't happened as planned, just felt soon to me.

quantumcat2

[14]Oct 23, 2006
    • level: 6
    Unfortunately,there are quite a few deaths that can take young,gifted people unexpectedly.

Not all are criminal or self-inflicted.

We tend to assume that older,more settled folk die of heart attacks or strokes when their deaths are unexpected while we assume that young people die of drugs,accidents or violent crime.

People of all ages die of aneurysms,arrhythmias,embolisms,allergic reactions,severe infections,diabetic comas,seizures and all sorts of maladies.

Fatal injuries and sickneses can come out of nowhere and are especially easy to dismiss if the stricken person is healthy with no
    inkling of a pre-existing condition.

Staph can overwhelm a person in less than 4 hours and the first sign
    of heart disease or certain kinds of leukemia can be the final attack.

These deaths *could* occur anywhere before any intervention could be made but often the loved ones of young victims berate themselves because they didn't check on their missing friends or relatives as promptly as they would have had they been elderly or known to be ill.

Glen Quinn might have hurried his own death through drugs or he might
    have had that assumed because of his 'Hollywood' occupation.

mrn71

[15]Oct 24, 2006
    • level: 55
    It was drugs.

More information than you really want to know can be found here:http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/q/GlennQuinn/glenn_quinn.htm

I remember when his character was killed off, drugs weren't mentioned specifically and I don't think they minded his work even if he was burning the candle at both ends, but it seemed like they didn't want him influencing David Boreanz.

tjaman

[16]Oct 24, 2006
    OK, I don't trust anything that's written that informally, and has so much more reference to what he did on "Roseanne" than anything else.

While the citations and documentation are fine, there are lots of broad, sweeping conclusions drawn (and no small amount of judgments made) about things for which there are no citations -- specifically, about Joss terminating his employment or being any kind of influence on David Boreanaz.

Bango_Berryrush

[17]Oct 24, 2006
    According to Wikipedia.com he died from a heroine overdose, according to his autopsy report. Just thought I'd mention it.

Bango_Berryrush

[18]Oct 24, 2006

mrn71 wrote:
    I remember when his character was killed off, drugs weren't mentioned specifically and I don't think they minded his work even if he was burning the candle at both ends, but it seemed like they didn't want him influencing David Boreanz.

Was David a 12 year old at the time?...Because I thought he was a grown man who knew how to run his own life and choose what certain influences were best for his standards.

NickSeng

[19]Oct 25, 2006
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    Was David a 12 year old at the time?...Because I thought he was a grown man who knew how to run his own life and choose what certain influences were best for his standards.

You know, that's the same question Buffy asked.

TelyFanatic

[20]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 18
    They didn't kill Glenn or Doyle off for the matter of drug usage.  They killed him off because the writers figured that around the tenth episode they needed to bring in another character.  To do this and balance things out, they had to kill someone who already starred in the series off.  The writers figured that it was too early to kill of Cordy as she has been around since pre-Angel, the Buffy age.  And since the show revoloves around David Boreanaz (Angel), they obviously couldn't kill him off.  Thus, leaving the only reamining core character, Glenn Quinn (Allen Francis Doyle).