Angel

Heartthrob

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Sep 24, 2001 on The WB

• Should have gone to Vegas!

HEARTHROB

The Good;

Great stuff, once again you feel the Buffy writers are making fun of the whole endless vamp love concept (Twilight/True Blood). Also Lorne's version of 'I left my heart in San Francisco' is WONDERFUL, one of the top three Lorne songs.

The Bad;

How many times can we see the same courtyard even if it is redressed?

Best line:

Angel (after fighting the demon monks) "Should have gone to Vegas"

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

DB get's his shirt off; 12

Cordy's tattoo; yep, when she bends over to pick up the fire extinguisher during the fight in the hotel lobby

Cheap Angel; 7

Wes: 5

Doyle; 1

Gunn; 1

Lorne; 1

Kills: 2 vamps for Angel and one each for Wes and Gunn. Amazingly this is the first vamp Wes ever kills in four years in the Buffyverse. We don't know how many vamps/demons AI killed in the summer but I'll give them one each

Cordy: 5 vamps, 3 demons

Angel; 28 vamps, 38 and 1/2 demons, 3 humans

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 7 demons+1 vamp

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 16 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 8 vamps+ 5 demons.

Fang Gang go evil:

Cordy: 2

Angel: 2

Alternate Fang Gang:

Cordy: 2

Angel: 6

Characters killed: the dude Darla kills and a couple of people at the party

Recurring characters killed;

6;

Total number of Angel Investigations: Fred not part of the gang yet, still hiding in her room

4, Angel, Cordy, Wes and Gunn

Wes; 3

Doyle; 1

Angel; 1

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 3(?) ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis(?)

Angel: 2; Buffy and Darla

Wes; 2; Virginia and the bleached blonde

Kinky dinky:

Gunn refers to 'doin it with the demons' but doesn't mean what we think (except for Cordy who regularly seems to 'do it' with various supernatural entities). Speaking of which she's close enough to Phantom Dennis to strip naked in front of him and get some loufa action in the bathtub with him. Cordy thinks her new necklace brings out her breasts, Gunn certainly seems to think so to judge by his expression. Nice 'screwed Darla' gag. Darla says Angelus made her pay for leaving him in an extreme S&M style. Wes says Angel doesn't need a lapdance.

Captain Subtext;

Hugs all around when Angel comes back, the events of season 2 well and truly forgotten. James and Elizabeth (both regal names) are obviously a proto Spike and Dru (maybe Darla and Angelus needed another couple to make a four at bridge?).

Know the face, different character; 2

Parking garages;

Buffy characters on Angel; 16

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony

Questions and observations;

Love to see more of AI in the summer without Angel, they obviously kept busy. Also would have liked to have seen how Gunn coped with a solo case whilst everyone else was at Buffy's funeral. Can't they buy Fred a whiteboard so that she doesn't have to write on the wall? Does Fred really have to invite Angel into the room she occupies in his hotel? Or is Angel just bluffing to reassure her and make her feel at home? Note Angel takes the time to put his coat on before going vamp hunting. James says that Angelus knows no poetry, well he liked Spike's. Or Angel did? Holst is referred to as the foremost vamp hunter, what about the Slayer of the age? Vamps don't really seem to have love as much as twisted obsession but not having souls they can't appreciate that. Cordy's right of course, the human thing for Angel to do is mourn Buffy but continue his life. Surely James can be killed by fire or decapitation? Nice to know that when the chips are down you can rob the handicapped guy of his crutches and it's all ok.

Marks out of 10; 8/10

• My Heart Wasn't In It!

5.1
    Heartthrob-On a routine patrol, Angel stakes a female vampire. Just before she crumbles to dust she calls him Angelus and he recognizes her from his soulless past. Now, her grief-stricken lover, Angel's old hunting companion, is out for revenge for both the present killing and for a betrayal Angelus committed over 200 years ago.

A mediocre season premiere which has an unexciting plot and very few moments that are actually interesting. First off, the way they handled Angel's supposed grief over Buffy was poorly played. I mean what was the point of Angel leaving to go grieve over Buffy when he dealt with it already? They could have played it more dramatically or not have played it out at all! It just seemed pretty irrelevant how they played it out. Also, the plot with James and Elizabeth just wasn't interesting, especially the love sick puppy James is. All his forced dialogue of being in love and betrayl just dragged. I also the having no heart makes invincible vampire is an nice concept but it just not as good once on screen and the way James just dies at the end is laughable. It was nice to see Fred and her gettting use to living back in the modern world. The ending is the only saving grace as we see Darla is in New Mexico, and not to mention looking about 8 months pregnant! All and All, probably the weakest season premeire of Angel with a dull plot and unimportant story developments.
  • Heartthrob

Heartthrob was a really great episode of Angel. I really enjoyed watching this episode as Angel had to deal with his past. It was cool to get to know more about Angel's past through flash backs. I think this episode had a lot of character development for both Cordelia and Angel. This episode had a great story and made for a good opening episode of the third season of Angel. I think it was interesting that Angel was dealing with the death of Buffy, linking both shows together. This episode is the begining of where Angel and Cordelia start feeling for one another. I can't wait to watch what happens next!!!!!!!
  • After staking Elizabeth, a vampire who knew angelus, Angel is hunted by her broken hearted lover James.

I thought this episode was quite good. It had enough twists and turns to keep it exciting and the final bombshell was awesome. This episode was a worthy season three opener, the season that changes Angel forever.

Being the tragic romantic that i am, i was totally sucked in by Elizabeth and James' tragic Romeo and Juliet romance. I thought his love for her and wanting to protect her was beautiful and i only wish that i will find that some day. The locket was also a beautiful sentiment. I thought the whole heart removal thing was quite clever by the writers. It really amped up the storyline. Although i was a bit confused about how removing James' heart meant he could go out into sunlight. I thought James and Angel's fight scenes were good.

Its always nice to have flashbacks into Angelus' past. Considering how much Angel loved Buffy, i was so surprised at how unloving Angelus was.

I thought that the writers were quite good with Angel dealing with Buffy's death. It was right that he was to go on fighting, and as Cordelia says, that would be the way to honour Buffy.

The real kicker of this episode is the revelation of Darla's pregnancy. A storyline that will no doubt keep season three interesting.

Overall a great episode, it won't dissappoint Angel fans. Watch for how sweet Angel is with Fred.
  • Angel stakes an old friend on patrol.

Heartthrob is a great episode and a worthy start to an amazing Season 3. It is basically filler with some good character development but the flashbacks and the ending make it great rather than good.

The series opens with a frightened looking Fred poking her head out of her room to check if the coast is clear. Is there a demon? But as she hears Cordy, Wes and Gunn come in, she runs away back to her room. She's still obviously frightened of human interaction and is still bearing the mental scars from Pylea. As Cordy says "She's traded one cave for another". She's so accustomed to being alone and in the dark that she can't face other humans as they obviously scare her. Fred was endearing in this episode and her scene with Angel was nice; his encouraging of her to take small steps is important but we have to wait another 4 episodes before the real Fred comes out of her shell.

Angel's grief over Buffy's death is well played; instead of being a wreck, he admits he can deal with it, which I thought was good- him and Buffy are over and although he'll always love her, he's moved on. Cordelia is excellent in this episode. A lot of people complained about Cordy this season saying she became "Saint Cordelia" and said it wasn't right. I disagree. I love the way her character evolves this season into such a mature, caring woman and Cangel IMO is the best romance in the entire series. She can read Angel very well, she's the only one who realizes he's still pretty cut up over Buffy while Wes and Gunn think he's fine. Her speech at the end is nice as she makes Angel realize that there's nothing wrong that he's OK without Buffy and that it's a good thing. Is it obvious I love Cordelia? :P

The story this week, I thought, was interesting and rather unique. James and Elisabeth may be cliched but the whole heart doctor thing was good and the flashbacks were great (although new viewers may find them confusing). I loved seeing Darla back as she always excellent and I thought it was great they included her before her present day comeback in Nicaragua. Julie Benz as always is amazing, and I feel that all the cast are better this season than they've been so far.

The last scene- wow! Darla in a bar 8 months pregnant and killing people? That's always gonna be great. She looked quite the worse for wear and not her usual glamourous self. It sets up the entire season arc so early and excellently and gives us a taste of what's going on before things really get going in Offspring. Heartthrob was probably one of the better season openers and set up some important points, had great character development and a good plot.
  • Angel returns.

I really like this episode and I think it makes a nice start to the third season. The drama that unfolds between Angel and James after the death of Elizabeth is really great. The beginning of the flashbacks that show Darla and Angel in the old days are really great the focus on love and obsession that really dominates this season starts off well here. Cordy and Angel are also really sweet together in this episode and it is nice to see the progression of their relationship and the introduction of Gunn as a main character. When James tries to kill Cordy to take away the only thing he loves and Angel is still sad after the death of Buffy it is a really good and emotional scene that shows him at least in part accepting her death and trying to move on.
  • Another piece of Angel's past...

After Buffy's death, Angel leaves to a spiritual retreat where he finds... demons! (what else?) When he returns, Cordelia has a vision and the gang sets up and goes to slay some vampires. One of them is Elizabeth, a vampire who used to hang with Angelus and Darla in the 18th century. Angel slays her and takes her medallion. However, her boyfriend James (he too was a vampire from Angel's past), was not happy by Elizabeth's death. He goes after Angel, who stakes him to find out that he can't die, because he paid a visit to a demon doctor who took his heart. It doesn't last and he ends up dying.

And surprise, surprise: Darla is pregnant!!!
  • This episode ripped my heart out and stomped on it!

This episode ripped my heart out and stomped on it!
    To see Angel greiving for Buffy was heart wrenching. I thought it was very believable the way Angel didn't completely stop living once his soulmate was dead. I found it inspiring that he chose to continue on in her honor rather than curl into a ball and wither away. Angel had no choice except to move on, he loved a person with all of his heart and soul and it didn't kill him, it didn't destroy him, it made him stronger. Loving Buffy was the best thing he ever did with is life.
  • Cordelia: Angel, she was the love of your life and she died, and you weren't there when that happened, you couldn't help her fight, you couldn't save her, you couldn't die with her.

This was actually one of the few episodes that revolved around Buffy but that she wasn't actually in. I really liked that Angel, the show, stayed true to it's roots and always acknowledged the fact that it was a spinoff and it was okay with it.

That being said I really thought this was great season opener, the best so. It was really a quirky episode that all doom and gloom but had a touch of everything. Comedy, drama, action, Angel and Cordelia's relationship, and even a little Fred. And it even had some flashbacks from Angel's past (though technicly it was Angelus). It was really one of the lighter episodes of the season, not that Angel was ever the lightest of shows, that touched on everything.
  • A real letdown after an exciting Season 2

7.6
    This episode was really a disappointment after the roller coaster ride of Season 2. I was hoping for a real bang of an opening episode.

Angel comes back to L.A. after visiting a monastery for a few months while he dealt with Buffy's death. Almost immediately upon his return, he kills a vamp who turns out to have been an old friend during the time he and Darla were in France in the late 18th century. Her lover attempts to get revenge on Angel for killing her. This is the first that we have seen of Elizabeth and James, and the short flashback sequences don't add much to the backstory or why we should care about them. They seem just like any other vamps that Angel would have killed anyway. The only value that James brings is his grief over Elizabeth's death and his accusation that Angel could not have really loved Buffy if he wasn't paralyzed with grief over her death. But Angel has not shown at all in this episode how he is grieving, though I am sure he is. He just doesn't need to share his feelings.

Other than the references to Buffy and Angel's relationship, this episode provides us with the information that Darla is pregnant, which is obviously going to become a part of the Season 3 storyline.

In sum, a filler episode where the only information of value comes during the last one minute of the show.
  • Everlasting love

Season 3 opens with the gang (minus Angel and Fred) returning from killing a demon. Seems Fred hasnt came out of her room since they came home from Pylea. Angel, on the other hand, is working through his grief at a demon monastery. When he returns, it isnt long before Cordy gets a vision of a massacre at a local college. The guys head out and after calling an ambulance at the college, they go after the vamp posse. They soon find them and Angel prepares to stake a female vamp, she recognizes him and says "Angelus" and then...poof. He manages to grab her necklace before she dusts and remembers back to when he knew her back in the day. Seems she and James, her true love, hung around with Angelus and Darla back in the 1700s. James is still alive and gunning for revenge on Angel. To sum up, Angel doesnt even have to kill James because James had his heart removed after his sweetie was dusted so he would be unstoppable. The only drawback is that it only lasts 6 hours. Right before James dusts, he tells Angel that he will die knowing true love but that Angel never will. He questions how Angel can live on if his so called true love is dead. Cordy reminds Angel in the end that the best way to honor someone you love is to live on and keep fighting. Good season opener!
  • Spicy, juicy hearts!

brilliant start of the third season. angel rocks and cordy and wes and even gunn. i dont like fred but she was ok at first.

the vampire love and anel getting over his the dumb buffy chick was great and the fight scnes rockd a lot. the best thing and surprise was the end with fat darla. much more to come of this season.
  • This episode is very well written. The love of James and Elisabeth was beautiful but to obsessed. Angel was strong by still living without Buffy. it deals with her loss. It's a really good episode and I love the train scene.

Heartthrob

I'm a huge fan of season openers and this is one of the best. it's just perfect, the flashbacks were beautiful. the love of James and Elisabeth. Fred making small steps and Cordy still dealing with her visions. also Angel dealing with the loss of Buffy and specially the end. Darla coming out pregnant.

cut to Cordy, Wes and Gunn coming home. they're talking about being demon obsessed but they need to be a little even if they won't have a social life. they talk about Angel that he went for peace cause of Buffy's death. Gunn says he should have gone to vegas instead to those monks. cut to Angel fighting monks and killing them. then he goes out and a monk asks what happened and he says that demon monks tried to kill him 'I shoulda gone to vegas'

the credits start(Amy Acker is added to the credits)
    David Boreanaz
    Charisma Carpenter
    Alexis Denisof
    J. Aughust Richards
    Amy Acker

cut to Cordy talking about rats. Wes and Gunn are both afraid of those so Cordy goes to the basement and Angel comes out of it and she shrieks. and then hugs him. he's back and tells them about the demon monks and gives them some presents. the gang tells him that Fred hasn't come out of her room yet so he's going to check up on her. cut to Angel going into Fred's room. she's a little hyper and invites him in. she writes everything down and she is waiting for the click. He tells her that everything is save now and that she has to make small steps then he opens the door for her to follow him but then he hears Cordy screaming 'hold that thought'.

cut to Cordy having a hard vision and lying on the floor. the guys come in fast and she tells them about a blond and strong vampire girl and they have to save some people. they leave and Cordy stays crying. they arrive to the place and Angel morphs to get the vampires. cut to the vampires with two kids. she asks a boy what he prefer to get killed him or his girlfriend but he says to kill him and then the vampire girl says that she will show him true love. then Angel jumps on the car while Gunn and Wes kill the vampires one runs away and Angel kills the blond vampire. before killing her he has something of hers and she says 'Angelus'?

cut to Cordy in her bathroom 'this visions are killing me' and she takes some pills and goes in the bath. Phantom Dennis gives her a hand. flashback. Angelus and Darla with another couple. they're really in love but Angelus and Darla don't get it. they say that Holtz is a big vampire killer and keeps haunting them down. Angelus is the only one that lives to tell the tale when Darla left him alone but he escaped. cut to the vampires then stealing a necklace and she puts it on. his name is James and some police comes so she goes away with Darla and James stays with Angel. then Holtz come on his horses to kill them.

cut to the gang listening. they want to know what happened but he says that's another story. and they have to find James cause he will be pissed off cause he really loved Elisabeth. cut to the vampire that escaped telling James everything. that Angel did it and he's cursed with a soul and has even his own office. James says he wants to die and throws the guy i the fire and burns him. cut to Cordy and Angel. she says that he doesn't have to blame himself for her death. he says he didn't even know who she was when he killed her. but she was talking about Buffy. she was the love of his life and she died when he wasn't even with her. but he isn't gonna talk so she leaves him. she only wants to know what happened with Holtz.

cut to Holtz and Angelus and James. Holtz says that they’re a lot worse tings than death. then Angelus tells him that Darla is with Elisabeth and he jumps on a horse with James. on the way James pushes Angelus off and leaves him there alone. Angelus says he's not a bad bloke when you get to know him. and he falls on the ground. cut to James going to the doctor and he will operate him. cut to a table and the doctor cuts into James. cut to the karaoke bar with Lorne singing. Gunn and Wes arrive and they ask Merl and he says where to find James. cut to Angel getting called and what James did. James will come there and asks Cordy to leave but she stays no. then they go to the basement where James comes out.

cut to Angel and James fighting. Fred comes out and says that she took small steps but he tells her to go back into her room. cut to them fighting and Cordy helps Angel and throws him a stake but James grabs it and tries to kill Angel but Angel stakes him and says it's over but then James takes it out and Cordy asks over in what sense? then Angel throws him into the sunlight but he doesn’t catch on fire so Angel and Cordy go underground. cut to Angel and Cordy in a place. Wes calls them and he tells them that James let his heart cut out and is now invincible but that will only take 6...and Cordy can't hear the rest but then James crashes there into and they run out.

Angel and Cordy go in a subway but James goes on it from the outside and jumps in. he sees he cares about Cordy. Angel says that the woman he loved died but James says that if he really loved her he wouldn't still be alive. he will kill him and Cordy but Angel fights him and then James weaken up. he says that Angel just existed but no lived and then turns into dust. cut to the office. Cordy still asks what's wrong with him. he says he's okay but that's the problem. that he can still live without Buffy he feels like he's betraying her. Cordy says he isn't. if he was a loser and obsessed he will cut his heart out. he is honouring her this way. then they leave to kill some demons. cut to a bar in south America. a guy tries to flirt with Darla and he says that he has surprises in him. then she turns into a vampire and kills him. 'you know what they say. life is full of surprises' and then she stands up and she's pregnant.

Best episode quotes:

Cordelia: I can understand people who drink too much. I understand people who put a little note on the parking meter that says it's broken when it's not. I don't understand people who worship demons.
    Gunn:Yeah. Especially Lu-rite demons. The stink on that thing... If you're a prince of the underworld, bro, take a Jacuzzi every once in a while.
    Wesley: It's sad. The only way some people can find a purpose in life is by becoming obsessed with demons. By the way, Gunn, technically that wasn't a Lu-rite. It was a Mu-rite, a sub-species of the Lu-rite. The male sports a small, tell-tale fin just behind the third shoulder.
    Gunn: So glad to know we're not the sad people obsessed with demons.
    Wesley: We have to be a little obsessed. We're detectives that specialize in these things.
    Cordelia: And we're not sad.
    Wesley: No. No, we're a happy and rambunctious lot if I ever saw one. Not going to humor me even a little, are you?
    Cordelia: Hu-uh.
    Wesley: I realize we sacrifice a great deal of our - social lives. But we have to. Our work demands it.
    Gunn: True. I mean, who has time for love when you're out there doing it with the demons? Didn't that come out sad and wrong? - I need to get out more. Speaking of: anyone talked to Fred lately?
    Cordelia: Not talked. Glimpsed. She pokes her head out of her room every once in a while.
    Wesley: Nice girl.
    Cordelia: Nice, but not making the giant strides towards mental health. She's been hibernating up there for three months now.
    Wesley: Ever since Angel went away. She's become quite attached to him.
    Gunn: Angel groupie. I get that. He rescued her from Pylea.
    Cordelia: I miss Pylea.
    Wesley: I would think you might. You were there a week, they made you queen. Fred was there for five years. She was a slave, a runaway, they nearly chopped her head off. All those years she spent hiding out alone in that cave.
    Gunn: She survived. Girl's strong.
    Cordelia: The girl's trading one cave for another. How strong is that?
    Wesley: When Angel comes back...
    Gunn: When is he coming back anyway?
    Cordelia: As soon as he works through his grief a little.
    Gunn: A little? Buff...
    Cordelia: Don't! Say the 'B' word.
    Gunn: The 'B' word was the love of his life, and he's,.what? 250? That isn't a short life. That grief work is gonna take more than a vacation in Sri Lanka.
    Wesley: It isn't a vacation. It's a spiritual retreat at a monastery.
    Gunn: Hmm. Angel and a bunch of monks in the middle of nowhere. There's a party! He should have got hammered and went to Vegas just like I told him.

Cordelia: So, I hope you had a good retreat, all peaceful and meditate-y.
    Angel: Sure, until the monks turned out to be life-sucking Shur-hod demons.
    Wesley: Oh...
    Gunn: Vegas.
    Angel: Yeah.
    Cordelia: Well, the point is, you worked on things. It wasn't like a holiday, where you come back home to your friends, you know, with some small mementos of your trip...
    Angel: Fishing for gifts?
    Cordelia: Yes! Oh - a - small - human head!
    Gunn: Cool!
    Cordelia: Oh! Oh, my gosh, it's gorgeous! And look how it brings out my breasts! You know you were all thinking it! Thanks.
    Wesley: Uh! Sixteenth century! Angel! Murshan Dynasty? I've always wanted one of these! I didn't think you... Oh, I can't wait to kill something with this! Any visions brewing?
    Angel: The place looks good. How's Fred?
    Cordelia: Good! She's doing well.
    Angel: Hasn't come out of her room yet, huh?
    Cordelia: Not what you'd call frequently. We, we sent up a lot of tacos.
    Angel: I'll settle in and check up on her. You guys can bring me up to date. - It's really good to see you guys.
    Gunn: Thanks for the head, bro.
    Wesley: He seems better than when he left.
    Cordelia: Uh-huh.

Fred: Listen. Listen. Listen. Oh. Hi! How are you? I'm just fine. Doing real good here, no need to worry about me, but thanks for checking!
    Angel: It's me, Fred.
    Fred: Oh, Angel. Hi! Hey! You're... Well, hi there! It's good to... Did you have a nice... Oh, here, let me make some room!
    Angel: I can't come in.
    Fred: Of course not. You're worn from your trip. You go rest. We'll catch up later.
    Angel: Fred, I wanna talk to you, I just can't come in unless you...
    Fred: I invite you. Instead of being rude! Oh, come in. Come in. It's just a smidge of vampire in you as far as I'm concerned, but the universe has rules. I'm a great believer in rules, and theorems, formulas...
    Angel: I get that.
    Fred: Aphorisms leave me a little dry.
    Angel: How are you?
    Fred: Yeah. - Good. - Everything's pretty much like when you, you know, went away on your trip.
    Angel: Sorry I left so suddenly. I just...
    Fred: Hey, no, you had things you had to take care of. And it's not like I need a babysitter or... You're sticking around now, right?
    Angel: Yeah, I am.
    Fred: Oh good!
    Angel: Listen, listen, listen... What are you listening for?
    Fred: The click. - When it all comes together and makes sense. There's like a click in your brain and then you understand things again.
    Angel: Oh. What happens if you run out of wall space before you get the click?
    Fred: I don't know.
    Angel: Fred, I know you spent... five years in a place where humans could only be slaves or fugitives. I know that wasn't a picnic for you. But you're home now. You're safe. You can come out of your room. - I know that it's gonna take some time.
    Fred: Time. I have a whole treatise on that. It seems to take a lot of it to do just about anything these days.
    Angel: Fred. Fred. You don't have to write absolutely everything down.
    Fred: Oh, right. God, I should write that down.

Bobby: Please.
    Elisabeth: Hmm?
    Bobby: Please don't hurt her.
    Elisabeth: You love her? You'd do anything for her. What if - we just kill her and let you go? Hmm? Come on now. Life's about making choices. - You or her, what's it gonna be?
    Bobby: Her. - Take her. God, I...
    Elisabeth: Gee. Bobby, you call that love? We get home I'll show you what love is.

Darla: Young love.
    Angelus: Give it a century.
    James: A century? A mere hundred years?
    Elisabeth: I would need a thousand just to sketch the perfect plane of your face.
    James: I would need ten thousand just to name the color of your eyes.
    Angelus: They're green, but take your time. In fact, don't. We have a ship to catch and Holtz may not be far behind.
    Elisabeth: You know neither poetry nor love, Angelus.
    Darla: He knows other things. Marvelously vile and ripping things. Didn't we eat a poet in Madrid?
    Angelus: Troubadour.
    James: Everything's closed! Pity. I wanted to spend some of the counts gold on you.
    Angelus: We'll need it for the voyage.
    Elisabeth: The count DeLeon was a little rich for my blood. I'll be full for a week!
    Angelus: The fire was excessive.
    James: Of course it was. We burned his villa to the ground!
    Elisabeth: We left a mark, made a statement!
    Angelus: Ah, a statement as in 'here, we are, Holz. Please, hunt us down.'
    James: Ah, who cares about Holtz?
    Darla: You would if you knew him. He's killed scores of us. Hunted Angelus and I across half of Europe. God, he follows us to Morocco, what then? The new world?
    James: I say we stay and fight the bastard.
    Angelus: Yeah, but you're an idiot.
    James: I don't believe he's the most formidable vampire killer in the world. None lives to tell the tale and all. You lived to tell the tale.
    Elisabeth: I heard he trapped you both in a barn and you fled, leaving him to die.
    James: It's not true.
    Angelus: It's entirely true. She hit me with a shovel, wished me luck and rode off on our only horse.
    Darla: Life is full of surprises.
    Angelus: Ah, life is boring. You're full of surprises.
    Darla: Of course when you finally did catch up with me in Vienna I had to pay for my sins, again and again.
    Angelus: Hmm, can you even begin to fathom the things that we did? Of course not. You're in love. Let's not dawdle, children.
    Elisabeth: It's so pretty.
    James: No it's not.
    Elisabeth: James!
    James: Not as pretty as it's going to be...When it's worn by the prettiest one of all.
    Elisabeth: I adore it. I'll never take it off!
    Angelus: And this is what love gets you.
    James: Elisabeth, you and Darla get to the ship, we'll join you there. Let's give them a rout, what do you say Angelus?
    Angelus: I'd say you're an idiot, but I'd just be repeating myself.
    James: Come on you bloody frogs! I broke the window and I'll break your skulls! See, all you have to do is stand up to them. What are you afraid of?
    Angelus: Not us.

Vamp: We did everything we could, but they were... He was too much for us.
    James: Angelus.
    Vamp: Yeah. One of our own hunting us down. It's sick!
    James: How is this possible? The Angelus I knew...
    Vamp: He's not the same. Gypsies cursed him with a soul a hundred years ago or so. He's got a business here in LA. He kills us for money.
    James: She's gone.
    Vamp: It was horrible. She was bringing you two ripe and rosy humans and he just - flew out of the sky and...
    James: And you ran.
    Vamp: No, I fought - until I saw it was hopeless. I thought you'd want to know how it happened, who did it.
    James: And now I do.
    Vamp: You want to be alone.
    James: No. - I want to die.

Angel: What?
    Cordelia: What?
    Angel: What do you want to say?
    Cordelia: Ah, me? Nothing. What makes you think I wanna...
    Angel: cause I know you?
    Cordelia: Well, it's really - none of my business.
    Angel: And that always stops you.
    Cordelia: Actually, it is my business, our business, because we're trying to do a job here, and what affects you affects me, and - anyway, I don't like to see you suffer more than you have to. I don't think you should blame yourself, or feel guilty for her death.
    Angel: I don't.
    Cordelia: Good. Glad to hear it.
    Angel: I didn't even know who she was when I killed her.
    Cordelia: Not her! - Angel...
    Angel: Oh... you - you want to talk about...
    Cordelia: She was the love of your life and she died. And - you weren't there when it happened. You couldn't help her fight. You couldn't save her. - You couldn't die with her. This is gonna be one of those talks where I do all the talking, isn't it? Well, I'm not gonna pry. It's not my style. Okay, it's totally my style, but I can tell that I'm not getting anywhere right now. But you have to tell me one thing. You owe me this much. What the hell happened with Holtz/

Angelus: I think we lost them.
    James: I'd kill you where you lay if I didn't have to get to Elizabeth.
    Angelus: Excuse me, I'm laying here with numerous arrows in me, saving your life.
    James: I'll be sure to tell Darla the utter lack of concern you had for her.
    Angelus: Buy her a hat. She loves hats. - Why are people always running off and leaving me? Am I a bad bloke? - I don't think so. Not once you get to know me. Oh. I really need a doctor.

Fred: Angel? - I thought I heard company. I came out of my room. Small steps - like you said.
    Angel: Go back to your room and stay there!
    Fred: Okay then.

Angel: It's alright. It's alright. It's over.
    Cordelia: Ah, over in what sense?

James: Well, this is a new twist in an old snake. - Is it possible you care about someone who isn't you?
    Angel: Don't worry about her.
    James: But if you've changed. If you aren't the same man who screwed Darla and couldn't care less what happened to her...
    Angel: Where did you hear... Oh. You mean back in the day. Right.
    Cordelia: He has changed. A lot. He has a soul now and he cares about people.
    James: So you might feel something when I snap her neck.
    Cordelia: Well, it's not like he's losing sleep with the caring.
    James: Lucky me. Now I can kill the woman you love.
    Angel: No, you can't.
    James: Are you forgetting who's the invincible one here?
    Angel: The woman I love - is dead.
    James: Who are you talking about?
    Cordelia: It happened about three months ago. We try not to say her name too much.
    James: You loved someone - with all your heart.
    Angel: Yeah.
    James: No you didn't. - Because if you had you wouldn't be standing here playing games with me. You wouldn't be able to - because once she died or some bastard killed her, it would have killed everything in you.
    Angel: I wouldn't be able to go on living.
    James: Don't worry, you won't. And she won't either.
    Cordelia: Angel!
    Angel: Catch him!
    Cordelia: Catch who?
    Angel: Come on! How's that, invincible boy, huh? - Is that your idea of love, James, hmm? It's not real unless it kills, you?
    James: Yeah. What's yours? It's fun as long as it doesn't cost me anything? - You don't know what love is! You think you won - just because you're still alive? - I lived. - You just existed.

Cordelia: How's Fred?
    Angel: She's alright, considering. We talked over what happened and I think she'll be coming out of her room any decade now.
    Cordelia: And how about you?
    Angel: I'm o...
    Cordelia: And don't say 'okay.' Angel, please. I know you. Ever since you've come back from your grief trip I can tell that something's not right. And, and obviously it's not. - Buffy's - dead, and I don't mean to diminish that. I miss her too. - I just wanna say - I know that James with all his Romeo and Juliet madness, opened up a lot of wounds for you, but you'll be okay.
    Angel: I am okay.
    Cordelia: Then - what's the problem?
    Angel: That I'm okay. That losing Buffy didn't kill me. That I could deal with it. - In all those years - no one ever mattered. Not like she did. - And now she's gone - forever.
    Cordelia: And you're still here.
    Angel: Yeah. I just feel like I'm betraying her somehow.
    Cordelia: No! If you were a loser, if you were some sick obsessed vampire, you'd go to a Snod demon, or whatever, and get your heart cut out. But you're not! You're a living, breathing... Well, living, anyway - good guy, whose still fighting and trying to help people, and that's not betraying her, that's honoring her.
    Angel: You think?
    Cordelia: I'm Cordelia. I don't think. I know. Okay?

Guy: Sorry it took so long. He's a very difficult shaman to find.
    Darla: You can go.
    Guy: Oh, no, no, no, no, no. I thought - we'd have a drink - to celebrate.
    Darla: No. Thanks.
    Guy: Oh. Don't be so shy, little one. You get to know me, I'm a very nice man. How much can - one little drink hurt, huh?
    Darla: Depends on who's doing the drinking.
    Guy: Hmm. I thought you might have a - surprise or two in you.
    Darla: Well, you know what they say...Life's full of surprises.

Story: 10