Angel

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 22, 2003 on The WB

• Scariest ep ever

HELLBOUND

The Good;

Great villain, some great Spike stuff and an all round great premise

The Bad;

?

Best line;

Angel (to frozen in time Pavayne) "Don't worry I had them give you a window"

Jeez, how did they get away with that?

Gory as hell, how did this not get an 18 rating?

Apocalypses: 5

Angel Cliches

In disguise; 8

DB/JM get's his shirt off; 15, Naked Spike.

Cheap Angel; 7

Angel; 45 vamps, 60 and 1/2 demons, 5 zombies, 12 humans, one werewolf

Doyle; 1 vamp

Wes; 14 demons+5 vamps, 5 zombies, 2 humans

Kate; 3 vamps

Faith; 18 vamps, 6 demons, 3 humans.

Gunn; 11 vamps+ 13 demons, 5 zombies, 1 human.

Groo; 1 demon

Connor; 1

Characters killed: poor Claire

Recurring characters killed;

9;

Total number of Angel Investigations; 5, .

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Lorne, Wes,

Angel; 4

Gunn; 3

Fred; 2

Notches on Fang Gang bedpost:

Cordy: 5 ?+Wilson/Hacksaw Beast+Phantom Dennis+Groo+Connor plus possibly the Beast

Angel: 5; Buffy, Darla and The Transcending Furies

Wes; 3 definite; Virginia, the bleached blonde and Lilah, 1 possible, Justine

Gunn; 2 Fred and Gwen.

Fred; 1 Gunn

Groo; 1Cordy

Kinky dinky:

Gunn likes Eve's lovely friend, Claire the mystic. Too bad she doesn't last long. Spike spies voyeuristically on Fred in the shower.

Captain Subtext;

Apparently Spike materialises beside Gunn in the toilet and makes remarks about his penis. What sort of remarks? Claire suggests that Fred and she hold hands if Fred is lonely. Pavayne describes Spike as a 'Little Nancy still crying for his mother', well he's got the last bit right as 'Lies My Parents Told Me Proved'.

Know the face, different character; 5

Parking garages;

Guantanamo Bay;

WR&H show some REAL inefinite detention

Buffy characters on Angel; 16.

Wetherby, Collins and Smith. Angel, Cordy, Oz, Spike, Buffy, Wes, Faith, Darla, Dru, The Master, Anne, Willow and Harmony. POSSIBLY The First Evil

Questions and observations;

Of course the term Reaper is another supernatural series and he too sends souls to hell. Mercedes McNab guest-starred and at one point the devil goes 'Ooohhh Buffy' when handing Sam a stake to recapture an evil soul who thinks she's a vampire (because there are no vampires in the Reaperverse). Spike refers to the King's English as he's seen 2 Queens in his time (Victoria and Elizabeth 2nd) and 4 kings (Edward 7th, George 5th, Edward 8th, George 6th). Spike calls Angel 'Liam', he knows his backstory. Angel likes Spike's poems, did he continue to write AFTER he became a vampire? Spike suspects that it may be the First Evil tormenting him which seems logical. Spike also says he's been a ghost for months which gives us some timeframe. Love to have seen Lee or some of the other casualties from WR&H over the years as Reaper's puppets. In many ways I think they try to cast Fred as the team glamourpuss but she doesn't really cut the mustard in that regard, Amy Acker a beautiful woman but just doesn't compare to CC, Buffy, Faith etc. Very Christian idea of hell. Eve is actually quite heroic here. Very little Lorne, he's really sidelined this season even if he's now a regular. The fate of Pavayne is very reminiscent of the fate of the 'Family of Blood' in the Dr Who ep of the same name (possibly the best ep ever?), both it and Torchwood drawing a LOT from Buffy and Angel (Angel sunk to the bottom of the ocean by his son, Capt Jack buried alive by his brother). So what happens to Pavayne AFTER the fall of WR&H at the end of the season? When Pavayne says that 'There's hope for you yet boy' when Spike has the choice of being human or rescuing Fred does he mean good Spike or evil Spike? Presumably Fred told Spike about Angel's Manilow obsession?

Marks out of 10; 9/10 very strong ep, great villain, truly creepy and excellent performance from JM

• all about spike again

i hate spike but this episode was not that horrible even if i hate spike i kinda liked the episode. i like the blood and bad guys and liked the episode but it would have been better if spike died or something

the best part of the episode is when that blond woman spits blod on fred that was hilarious and i like the bad guy i believe his name is payvayne like that. the episode was one of the season best but it was not as good as the first seasons
  • Another episode about Spike? Shocking.

Hell Bound is a great episode and one that I appreciate more and more every time I watch it. It's disturbing, dark and quite violent, the plot is good and the villain excellent. A very solid episode.

The main point of this episode is addressing Spike's apparent pull towards hell. Throughout the last two episodes we see Spike disappearing more and more frequently and here it hits a new low. The phantoms that appear this episode are quite disturbing- the woman screaming "Hold me" in particular gave me the creeps. The hints towards the "Dark Soul" and the "Reaper" were also quite creepy and the scene where the mystic is killed is just... scary.

The whole episode is frightening at times and I must say I really like Parvayne. He was a strong villain and his backstory was good but not overly long so it felt like it dragged. His whole speeches to Spike were quite weird and his end is good. Being locked in a room, unable to move, touch or feel anything for all eternity is worse than death and his eyes at the end said it all. I'm glad the Spike going to hell backstory is gone however- I found it quite tiresome and unneccesary. I understand they needed repurcussions of him coming back from the dead but it wasn't very interesting. I liked Fred here and her relationship with Spike is an interesting one. Fred is the only member of Team Angel Spike seems to interact with other than Angel himself, and this is why I feel he was better suited to Buffy. There he felt he had a place, whereas here he doesn't really. Lorne here was just disgracefully underused. It's such a shame that he was treated like this all season- given one or two lines an episode. It annoys me a lot, seeing as I love Lorne and this was really disappointing. He's such a great character and is shoved to the side too often this season.

Hell Bound is a great episode that has some chills and creepy things. It's the best so far this season and resolves a minor plot point. Great episode but not amazing.
  • Hell Bound

Hell Bound was a good episode of Angel. I enjoyed watching this episode and watching the story unfold. This episode was definitely a side step to the main plot, however there were some developments regarding Spike. I thought the story of this episode was good, there was character development and even a little action. I enjoyed the woman mystic who tried to help the gang figure out what was going on. I think it is very interesting that Fred is the only one out of the gang who think Spike is really worth saving as she see's a diffrent side to him. I really look forward to the next episode of Angel!!!!!
  • Jeepers Reapers!

Hell Bound-After a series of horrific visions, Spike realizes that he is being pulled away from the material world and into hell. Fred tries frantically to find a way to save him, but soon realizes that there is an outside force that is causing Spike's dimensional shifts. An entity residing in Wolfram & Hart itself.

One of the creepiest and most disturbing episodes this series ever produced. But hey, this is Angel, if you can handle libs, heads...or pretty much any body part getting hacked to pieces, burnt up, sliced, shredded I think we all can handle an episode like this by now. Spike is back in the center as his continuing fading away gets extreme when a ghost named the Reaper wants to send him to hell. This episode has some really gruesome moments like the teaser with the disfigured man cuting his own fingers off and flashes of Spike with barbwire all over his body, piercing his skin so hard he shakes violently in pain. There's even nudity with a very baring back shot of Fred taking a shower and of course, more Spike nudity (if we didn't see enough of his birthday suit on Buffy!)But there was also some funny scenes like Spike and Angel talking about where they've been and where they are now, not to mention insults each other along the way:

Angel: "What do they call your hair color again? Radioactive!"

and

Angel: "There was one thing I did like about you but never told anyone...I liked your poems."
    Spike: "...you like Barry Manilow."

Simon Templeman, who played the Angel of Death on numerous ocassions on "Charmed", makes for a creepy villian as Pavayne, the Reaper. His monotone yet playful acting helped to make the Reaper distinct from other Angel villians. The climax is great with Spike getting some action and beating the crap out of The Reaper. Also, loved Fred throughout and how she came through to save the day end even if the machine didn't help Spike in the end. It's also shows some development that Spike and Fred are also becoming fast friends. All and All, "Hell Bound" has enough scares and luaghs that make for a great episode. Well this episode is underrated by most fans, it's one that stands out for me with it's very dark and sinister atmosphere.
  • On the edge of hell

Spike has big problems. He is slowly being sucked into hell. He starts disappearing more often and we soon find out he is seeing all sorts of ghosts when he is "out."
    Fred is working overtime to help him. We soon find out that there ARE no ghosts at Wolfram and Hart, which makes no sense to anyone. Seems that Pavayne, the dark soul has been using the ghosts to take his place in hell so that he can stay. Now he has his sights set on Spike. There is a chance to anchor Spike to this existence and send Pavayne out, but in a heroic twist Spike sacrifices that chance in order to save Fred. If anyone had any doubts about Spike being a hero or not, this should have been the proof. GREAT ep!
  • Spike starts slipping into hell and it's up to Angel, Fred and the others to save him and their agency from a vengeful spirit.

Although I've only just begun to watch this show, I already love Spike! The opening with him in the lab with Amy Acker is classic! And's he's so deadpan throughout! I'll probably have to watch Buffy to see how he and Angel came about, but this was a freaky, cheaky, clever episode! Bring on more Angel!
  • Spike loses out on his chance to become a "real boy" again when he choses to save Fred instead thus proving that he is a real champion and not some fake imitation.

We begin with a nice funny scene where Fred pretends to be scared by Spike.

//Fred stands by a lab desk reading papers in her file when she senses something or someone behind her. Startled, she gasps and turns to see, but there's no one there. When she turns back around, she sees Spike standing right in front of her. Fred lets out a little scream and drops her papers.//

(seems defeated)
    How long did you know I was there?
    (turns around)

FRED
    Uh, just since the lobby. But that popping up behind me was really scary. Look, I dropped my papers.
    (picks them up)

Nice touch.

Thanks.

It reminds me a bit of the Buffy episode where I believe it was Anya who was trying to convince Spike that he was scary when he tried to mug her after getting his chip. I believe it was in the episode Where The Wild Things Are but I could be wrong.

Spike disappears again and Fred heads off to Wesley's office to request some antiquities of the rarest order. Wesley says there's one condition, dinner, which puts Fred into a panic.

Turns out he just wanted to make sure she ate something. He's worried about her.

So when Eve takes Fred to Angel's office Fred naturally assumes Angel is worried about her as well. Turns out he's just getting on to her about exceeding her quarterly budget.

This drives home how much their world has changed since they took over Wolfram & Hart. Angel is so disconnected from everyone around him that he hasn't even noticed Fred hasn't been taking care of herself.

I believe he's taken aback by the news and kinda feels bad for having to get onto her about the budget.

I love how Fred puts him in his place in this scene.

ANGEL
    Except he won't be. I know Spike better than anyone, and he only cares about himself.

And Buffy.

EVE
    Well, this is getting interesting.

(rolls his eyes)
    You're right. He does care about Buffy. So, where do you think he's gonna run off to as soon as his fresh, new feet hit the ground?

FRED
    Is that what this is about? You're afraid he's gonna come back and try to get with your ex again?

ANGEL
    I just want you to be careful, Fred, because I know how charming Spike can be.

EVE
    He is quite the dish, with those eyes...

FRED
    And the hair and the cheeks and— What do you think I am, stupid? I know he's been playing me with the looks and the smiles. I'm not some idiot schoolgirl with a crush.

*I so love this line. It reminds me of when Willow laughs at Parker for thinking he's getting to her in "Beer Bad".*

Then what is it?

FRED
    It's about doing what's right. Remember?

ANGEL
    Your department. Your call. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't work. Some people can't be saved.

Some people can't be saved. A very telling statement from Angel. I don't really think he's referring to Spike here though, I think he really means himself.

I'm not sure why he's suddenly decided he can't be saved but it seems to be true. I think what happened with Connor is really affecting how he views the world and he can't share his thoughts with anyone since they don't even know Connor exists.

We get to see more of this in the next scene when Spike goes to visit Angel. I believe the whole ghost show is scaring much more than he'd like so he's actually going to spend time with Angel so he doesn't have to be alone. I really love their little interchange here.

SPIKE
    Never much for small talk, were you? Always too busy trying to perfect that brooding block-of-wood mystique. God, I love that.

ANGEL
    Not as much as I loved your nonstop yammering.

SPIKE
    The way you always had to be the big swingy, swaggerin' around, barkin' orders...

Never listening...

Always interrupting...

ANGEL
    And your hair. What color do they call that, radioactive?

SPIKE
    Never much cared for you, Liam, even when we were evil.

Cared for you less.

Fine.

Good.
    (beat)
    There was one thing about you...

Really? *I absolutely love how hopeful Spike looks here*

ANGEL
    Yeah, I never told anybody about this, but I—I liked your poems.

(frowns)
    You like Barry Manilow.

I really enjoy the creep factor in this episode. I think the zombie ghost things are really well done and I love the quick glimpses of things. The sound effects for the guy chopping off his fingers are a bit off though. It sounds like someone chopping fruit.

I love Gunn's line when Fred, Wesley, and Gunn are discussing Spike in Wesley's office.

GUNN
    Give him 20 minutes. He'll be popping up next to you in the bathroom, making cracks about your—
    (looks at Wesley)
    Am I the only one he does that to?

I also really enjoyed Fred's dramatic announcement of where Spike was headed and the reactions of Wesley and Gunn.

FRED
    You don't know what Spike's dealing with, where he goes when he disappears. He told me. It's hell.
    (dramatic close-up)
    He's slipping into hell.

Kinda figured.

WESLEY
    Of course.

GUNN
    Where else would he be headed?

I really do love the seance scene, though I'd really like to bitca slap the psychic.

WESLEY
    Perhaps we should reconsider this.

GUNN
    You think? Seen enough horror flicks to know these things always turn out ugly.
    (Eve escorts a pretty blonde woman in a red dress into the room)
    I stand corrected.

PSYCHIC
    All right. Let's get to it. Eve tells me that you've lost a ghostie.

FRED
    Well, he's not actually a ghost technically. More of a—

Yeah, whatever.
    (sits at the head of the table)
    Now, I have pilates at the crack of why-am-I-awake? So we're gonna move this right along. I will mutter a few calming words to get us into the zone, and then we'll see if we can scare up your missing spook. OK. Clear your minds... which, judging by the looks of you, won't be that hard.

Should we hold hands?

PSYCHIC
    Only if you're lonely. Now, zip it and let me do my sweet funky.

I love it later when Fred is working out math and runs out of space on the white board. The gang thinks she's gone crazy and started writing on the walls again. A very nice piece of continuity.

I really love the scene with Angel and Gunn trying to borrow some whiskers from the conduit.

GUNN
    Actually, it's not that bad...
    (animal growls and snuffles off-screen)
    ...if you like cats.

ANGEL
    I'm kind of a dog person.

(animal snarls)
    Ix-nay on the og-day.

And of course I really enjoy all the scenes with Spike. Such a nice bunch of classic horror, and I'm such a horror nut. I love the creepy flashes, I love seeing him try to convince himself that he's not really scared. I actually jumped when the glass shattered on the shower, even though I expected it this time. Most of all, I love it when Spike finally realizes that he can kick Pavayne's @ss.

SPIKE
    (as Spike stands, the portal behind him closes)
    Quite a bit, mate. Reality bends to desire. That was it, right? That's why I could touch Fred, write your name in the glass. All I had to do was want it bad enough.
    (Spike looks down at his naked body and clothing appears on him again)
    (an angry Spike glares at Pavayne)
    And guess what I want to do now, you prissy son of a b***h!

It's similar to Cordy's "the bitca is back" speech in Room W/A Vu and Angel's words to Hamilton in Not Fade Away.

Poor Spike has to sacrifice becoming corporeal again to save Fred, but it was the right thing to do. Pavayne was way too dangerous as a ghost. It just shows that Buffy was right to believe in Spike, and now Fred believes in him too.

I really, really enjoy what Angel did to Pavayne. I actually think this should be done to serial killers instead of the death penalty. Just put them in a state where all they can do is watch the world around them and think but never interact. Now that would be one hell of a punishment and may make people think twice before committing these types of crimes.

ANGEL
    (to Pavayne) Congratulations. You get to live forever, unable to move, to touch, or to feel... or to affect anything in the world around you. But don't worry—I had 'em give you a window.
    (shuts the door, revealing a brick-sized window cut out of the cell door right at eye-level)
    Welcome to hell.
  • But what if you threw a party in hell and //every//one came?

I can't say too much about S5x04-"Hell Bound" because I wasn't especially moved by it. And I do get why other people are moved by it, but it didn't do much for me.

It was essentially a horror film, a little gore for the sake of gore, weird for the sake of weird, re the ghosts, or images, or projections, or whatever they actually were that Pavayne was haunting Spike with.

I get the urgency -- Spike is being sucked into hell. Fred tells Wes and Gunn (finally -- someone tells someone else something) and they're perfectly OK with it. Angel himself remains unmoved.

Once again, I reject the theology of the 'verse from two directions. I think redemption is possible, and I also believe it can be earned, so Angel's fatalism concerning his own soul (and how self-centered is that? "I'm getting sucked into hell" "Yep. We all are." "No, it's happening //right now//" "Welcome to the club" etc.) is disappointing. But it does seem to give Spike a little more perspective on things.

Angel's disbelief of the shoop sets up the question of whether he's actually a hero (which gets explored later) and whether there can be any good accomplished from where he is.

But "Hellbound" sets up a copout. That Spike is too complicated for anyone in W&H to actually rematerialize. When we get to "Destiny," Spike is recorporealized in a flash of light -- presumably arranged by Lindsey -- that is never explained. Lindsey, holding to the shadows, trapped in an apartment with no resources, is able to bring Spike back and Fred can't.

Well, maybe it was because Lindsey knew what had happened to him and could undo it.

But there's the other problem. The Senior Partners, through Lilah, give Angel the amulet, with the sense that he's going to use it. He hands it over to Buffy who hangs it on Spike. When did Lindsey enter this equation?

Well, maybe never. Or maybe he handed it off to Lilah in order to gain control over the presumed signatory for leadership in the whole W&H operation. The fact that Spike used it meant he had to change his approach.

But all of this is in the future. Right now, Spike's still a ghost (or whatever) and Fred can't do anything about it except scan him, or build a giant machine that requires a power source of nuclear evil. Did they really need the passage about the Reaper/Dark Soul/Pavayne in order to build that gigantic machine? And did they really need for it to be demolished in its one use?

I did like the parallel of Angel keeping Pavayne alive in that little box of a prison with a small window like his own in S3x22-"Tomorrow" and S4x01-"Deep Down."

Spike had some good lines in this piece. And his fear was real behind his bravado -- "Vampire ghost here. Pretty much invented 'afraid of the dark.'" But I didn't get that creepy images were all that was happening to him when he vanished. He claimed to be going someplace even worse than the basement of W&H.

The conversation between Angel and Spike about Spike being sucked into hell and how Angel expected to join him ended weirdly -- Angel saying he always liked Spike's poetry, and Spike's retort "You like Barry Manilow."

It was also weird that as close to the Shoop as Angel's gotten himself, he claims not to believe in it. Where is his drive? Where is his direction? Where is his purpose in life?

Probably in a hospital bed, and not making very much progress at all.

Eve getting Angel to scold Fred about her department's spending was weird, especially since, as far as I can tell, they've fired the entire department. Lorne read everyone and quite a large number of people were terminated -- sometimes literally. And that translates, generally, to a burst of severance and then no more employee expenses. Fred's basically been researching, so I don't know what her massive overages have been.

Beyond it being a little dig at the network, of course.

GUNN WATCH: Not evil. In fact, barely present in this episode. But he does have a better relationship with the conduit than he did at first, and is more comfortable with it than Angel is. He is a soul in transit.

And the Powers?

Powers That Be: * sip *

Clearly, after all the work they've done with him for all of these years, they're perfectly happy with Angel's rudderless anomie and soul-sucking disillusionment.

Bra. Vo.
  • I didn't really like this episode but it was okay.

In the last episode I thought there wasn't enough Spike, in this episode I thought there was too much Spike. I guess I'll just have to wait till an episode gets that perfect Spike balance.

This is episode was kinda weird. The villian was pretty stupid but did work for a good storyline. I didn't like the guy but I liked how it ended up being Spike saving himself or Fred and he choose her. I didn't like how Angel started becoming more of the "the Boss of W&H" and less of "the Boss of Angel Investigations", he seemed more interested in work and demanding people around.

There was some good developments in this episode. Spike finally learns how to touch things, so he's not useless anymore.

Thats really it, the episode was pretty average so, 7.0.