Angel

I Will Remember You

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 23, 1999 on The WB

• One of the best of season 1.

This episode pissed me off so much. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but I was so angry at the end. Seeing Buffy and Angel together was perfect to watch. I loved seeing them again, and they were both so happy! Unfortunately, Angel gets his ass kicked and he makes the decision to turn back time, leading to the saddest minute of Bangel history. Now, I don't understand why he had to turn back time. I mean, Riley and the initiative, as much as I hate them, can still fight. And while it doesn't work out between Riley and Buffy (Thank god), it could have between Angel and Buffy because they are in love. I understand how if this had happened and it stayed the same, things would be drastically different, but it still isn't fair.
  • Buffy comes to LA...And offcourse things won't go like planned. Angels becomes human and the lovers now have a chance to be together. But the question is, does it last long?

I adore this episode and after watching it a couple dozen times I could quote the final scenes. I think I actually cried during the "I'll never forget"-scene. This was just what the B/A fans needed. Especially since they never really get together after this. So, this was one of the best Angel-episodes of all the seasons.
  • I classified it as PAINFUL TO WATCH...not becuase I hate it...I am truly in love with this episode, it's because it hurted me and touched me so much. "I will Always Remember" is truly a winning episode, but also heartbreaking to those Buffy fans (like me)

I'm a Buffy fan, and where I live, the Angel series have a certain time w here it restarted from season one. I have to admit that I felt Angel pretty boring compared to my fave series, Buffy...but then Buffy appeared in this episode. And you could I imagine me feeling ever so happy, I LOVE Buffy the Vamp slayer =P. And as all fans of Buffy and a begining-to-become-a-fan of Angel, truly felt happy for the two superstars to finally have a day to, just be together. But then Angel sacrificed being with her Because he knew that this would just kill Buffy. And his love for Buffy is far more than just being with her, it's watching her live, letting her do what she does best without slowing her down. And he told the oracles to turn back time, back to 24 hours ago, meaning Buffy won't remember a thing.

And that last scene of Buffy and Angel in each other's arms. And Buffy gazing into Angel's eyes, her eyes wide and soaking with tears, told Angel that she can NEVER forget him..."I felt your heartbeating"...she kept repeating that and repeating, then time went back, and Buffy was in the middle of her sentence saying that they should seperate for a while so they would f o r g e t. And that's where it bites. Angel has to carry this burden, this wonderful day, by himself.

The thing i'm sorta pissed at is that David(ANGEL) said that if they were asked to have another series of Angel, he wouldn't do it because he wants to move on...i get the moving on part..but comon', taking part in both Buffy and Angel must have changed his life somehow. I know mine did.

I spent the whole night thinking "WHY? they were finally together" what sort of angered me was that Buffy never found out...never. It would just have been nice that IF..and only If, although I know there will never be, another Buffy or Angel series, that Buffy will find out... The song "Close your Eyes.." Evrything was hearttorning...But it was a wonderful bittersweet ending of Buffy and Angel's first reunion.

• WOW, just WOW.....

This is the best episode of the season.
    Buffy comes to LA to see her dad but stops by to see Angel. While Buffy and Angel go looking for a demon Angel gets infected with it's blood and it makes him human. Angel and Buffy are as happy as anyone can get. They even do the deed. Then Angel learns that Buffy will die if he stays human. You see with him being human he wont be able to fight, and Buffy will die saving him. So angel sacrifices his humanity to safe his beloved Buffy. TPTB tell him that the time will rewind and he is the only one who will remember everything. So Angel goes home to tell Buffy the bad news. They hold eachother and Buffy cries and pleads him to take it back. They say they love eachother and then the time goes back till when Buffy first arrived in LA. Angel kills the demon without getting its blood on him.
    Truely the best episode of the season. Sarah and David are wonderful and do an extraordinary job. such an "Angel" classic.
  • She only came to prove a point, but everything turned out different when Buffy's once undead boyfriend turns into everything she could ever wish for... Human.

Angel and Buffy struggled through so much love and hate in their relationship that never was it easy to be together. Buffy was risking it all as a slayer, and Angel was fighting for redemption as a vampire with a soul. They loved each other so much, and it was killing them.

But what was even worse, was that it would kill others for them to be together. What felt so right to them was ultimately wrong for the world. It just shows that when you put yourself to be in the position of a champ or warrior, you can't think about yourself first. Angel and Buffy loved each other so much, that they couldn't risk the world the each other lived in.

If you're a fan of the Buffy/Angel relationship, this is an absolutely beautiful episode. As you watch Angel and Buffy stare into each other's eyes bawling as their hearts are breaking, your heart breaks too. But with every good BtVS and Ats episode, it serves a good lesson that we too may learn from. Time is precious. As is being happy...
  • Angel is human after contact with a demon's blood. Buffy is in town and naturally the first thing that happens is they are back together in no time flat. Angel as a human is not a good demon fighter, and chooses to go back in time and undo the day

When I saw this episode I was all tears the whole time and I am not the crying type. I just knew things wouldn't work out between my favorite couple, but I wanted to believe it so much. This is hands down my favorite episode in the Buffyverse. It was so real, so raw so full of everything. While the circumstances don't exactly happen every day, it felt as if it could and it was like any other relationship in its realism.

This is also the episode that I have watched the most out of any Angel/Buffy and I have seen each more than 3 times most likely (with the exception of the series' finales which also get me teary). It just encapulates everything both Buffy and Angel stand for and their true feelings. No matter who they are with, they are really always with each other.
  • Buffy visits Angel. While talking they're attacked by a Demon, Angel fights it. In the fight the Demons blood mixes with Angel's making him human. He and Buffy can have a relationship but He is a liability and chooses to revert back to protect Buffy

A fantastic episode. It really ties in with the Buffy episode 'Pangs'. I loved absolutely every minute of it, it was so sad but so great at the same time. In this episode you can see a really honest side of Angel. He gets to have the love of his life back, with no consequences but chooses her safety over his own happiness. This really shows what Angel is all about, the sacrifice, the greater good. The plot is great for the episode, tying in with Buffy and Angel's love really well. The stunts were good and the whole episode was really well done. This will always be one of my favourites, it's one not to be missed.
  • Angel's immediate return from Sunnydale left fans with the question, Will Buffy come to LA? From Angel becoming a human to a reconciliation between the star crossed lovers. I will remember you leaves the viewer pleased with the on going events until its d

With Angel coming back from his predecessor's home town. The Slayer comes to LA with unanswered questions. With the premise of unfulfilled hope it leaves the show to have the potential that Buffy and Angel fans all over the world wanted reconciliation between the doomed lovers. But in this Whedonesque style the memory of it all would be limited to one hero. With a moving performance by David Boreanez and his co-star Sarah Michelle Gellar it leaves the fans wanting more but like there relationship all you will be left with is honorable irony to these characters.
  • The best episode I have ever seen.

The first crossover of the series, Buffy comes to visit to berate Angel but she ends up getting the man she always wanted when Angel is turned human. The one thing that HE'S always wanted, so both people get what they want, they can spend the rest of the lives together right?

...Wrong, because evil's still afoot in Los Angeles and Angel decides to pick fighting evil rather than spending the rest of his life with the woman he loves. The two spend the night together and Angel feels perfect happyness without turning evil. But due to the Morra demon returning, Angel's lack of strength and even more evil on it's way Angel decides that he'd be better as a Vampire.

After convincing the Powers That Be to turn back time, he let's Buffy walk out of his life and even though Angel lost the one thing he truly loved, he has the perfect day in his mind forever.
  • Favorite episode, hands down.

Having just gotten into Buffy and Angel and every or nearly every episode in very quick succession, the fact that this episode, from a season where the show was trying to establish itself as separate from its parent, remains my favorite episode of both shows is a testimate to its writing and acting. The standout being Sara Michelle Gellar, who I can say plays hurt the best of almost any actress I'v ever seen. Whenever I see this episode I'm sad for the rest of the day because of her performance. The fact that one episode of a fantasy/horror/whatever show can have that much emotional impact on a man is testiment to its quality.
  • Incredibly sad episode

This was such an amazing episode Anyone who is a true Buffy Angel shipper had to love this.

Buffy coming to see Angel after he visited without telling her was something everyone expected but not something everyone thought would be so amazing. It is such a series classic because Angel was human for a day and experienced perfect happiness with Buffy.

It was so amazing to see how Angel dealt with the reality of being human and not having his normal vampire strength. He still wanted to protect the woman he loved even without his super strength and that made this such a special episode. This brought our character into a brighter light and literally too.

The way that the writers made this play out was incredible. They made all of the viewers wish for the happy ending that they would never get because it's Buffy and Angel.

This was so amazing and not just because of Angel being human and Sarah Michelle Gellar being in the episode it was amazing to see how everyone reacted to the situation.

Cordelia almost found herself out of the job and she was played out like our classic Cordy feeling sorry for herself and Doyle being happy for his friend.

This was a different kind of episode, one that we don't usually see but the story was perfect and it made me cry. It leaves you wishing for the happy ending that as I said didn't happen
  • The first great "Angel" episode. And it was painful for us Buffy-Angel fans to watch.

“I Will Remember You” was the first great ANGEL episode. It showed why the Buffy-Angel relationship would never work. Buffy shows up in LA to confront Angel about his recent visit to her in Sunnydale in the previous BUFFY episode, “Pangs”. She was upset with him because he was in Sunnydale and kept his being there a secret and because they had agreed to stay out of each other’s lives. But before they can discuss anything, they are attacked by a demon. They then hunt the demon, and after battling it again, its blood turns Angel human. With Angel human, they finally are able to be with each other. They are finally able to have a perfect day with each other. But, while battling the demon, he puts Buffy and himself in more danger than before. Their relationship soon becomes tragic once more. Angel realizes that if he remains human it could get Buffy killed trying to protect him. He makes a visit to the Oracles and persuades them to reverse time so he can once again become the hero that he needs to be. And they agree, after Angel gives them his watch as a gift. He then returns to Buffy and tells her about his decision. And the final scene, where Buffy begins to cry and proclaim that there isn’t enough time and they embrace each other, is a tearjerker. Angel is the only one that has the knowledge of his sacrifice, and perhaps it is a driving force behind his darker and moody state that follows him throughout the series run.
    The secondary story line of Cordy and Doyle’s comedic banter is a perfect fit with the tragedy of Angel and Buffy’s relationship.
  • The first best episode of season one

Buffy arrives in LA and shouts at Angel for hiding from her during the whole Pangs Incident in season four. that's gratitude for you isn't it? suddenly a demon bursts in, and then runs off again. the pair go after it and Angel touches some blood. Afterwards he turns human - yep, just like that. this delights Buffy but worries Cordy and Doyle.

buffy and angel spend a day nekidd in bed but doyles concern prompts him and angel to go and see the oracles. pompous and obnixious they tell him to bugger off basically. angel is then wounded and the reality of being human dawns on him. he sacrifices true happiness and time turns back. angel and buffy meet again but she doesn't stay, coz she doesnt remember anything, but angel does.

very upsetting and very emotional this is one of the best episodes of Angel. SMG is a good guest star its a shame she wasn't in Season Five.
  • one of the best episodes in the hole show

althought i liked the show very much i missed seeing angel fight beside buffy and i guess that everybody felt very sad when angel brokeup with buffy and left sunnydale and we hoped that we would see them fighting together again and this episode came it was like a dream come true and ofcorse the big surprise of human angel case was amazing i mean who could believe that the 245 years old vampire would become human again and while his true love is in town. i have to say that with all theese surprises i was more that chocked at the last one when he decided to return a vamp again i almost cried at the seen when he told buffy that he will return a vamp and that she wont rememeber what happened.
    it is one of the best episodes i've seen in both "buffy the vampire slayer" & "angel" but i was little disappointed that they didnt mention any thing about it in any other episode
  • What could life be like for Buffy and Angel if he were human?

The answer is pretty darn amazing! Buffy comes to town to tell off Angel for coming to Sunnydale to help her in a battle and never telling her he was there. The two end up tracking down a demon and when it's blood gets on Angel it restores him to human form. Not sure what this turn of events means Buffy and Angel sit in his kitchen in an uncomfortable silence. Meanwhile, upstairs Cordelia explains to Doyle how B&A have the forbidden love of all time and she's sure they are getting it on now that they can. And after a discussion of taking things slowly Buffy and Angel succomb to passion and make love. Yeah!!! It was a long time coming for fans of this couple. Knowing this time Angel wasn't going to go all Angelus on us. The scenes were sweet and sexy. Just perfect to this B&A fan.

We later discover that another similar demon is around so Angel goes off on his own to fight it. Having lost his vampire strength Angel is merely mortal and beaten badly until Buffy comes along and saves him. Angel hates the idea of having lost his ability to fight the good fight and help people. He visits TPTB and discovers the apocolypse will come and he will be helpless to help Buffy in the fight unless he gives up his newly acquired mortal life with her. He decides to give up his happiness for the greater good of the world. As time runs down Angel explains to Buffy what must be done kissing her one last time before her memory of their time together is completely erased. Only Angel will carry the memory of their time together.

The episode was humorous, action packed, sexy and heart wrenching all at once. Exactly what you come to expect from the brilliant Joss Whedon. I know in my heart if given more time Buffy would've remembered and she would've returned to confront Angel again with even sweeter results...
  • I love this episode! I never liked Angel or Buffy till a friend introduced it to me and that was the first episode he showed me! It only makes me angry that Buffy and Angel aren't together! they are perfect.. but its not in the cards i guess!:(

So i would definetly give this episode a 10! Buffy and Angel are the most tangled up couple i have ever seen. They love eachother and its obvious but they can't be together! It's not the right times and its not in the cards for them! It obviouse there will always be something there between them no matter what! This was by far the saddest most heart aching episode i have ever seen! I wanted to cry!
  • Angel turns human and he and Buffy spend time together

One of the best episodes on the show. Also one of the saddest.
    It\'s a shame they couldn\'t be together. The whole reason Angel turned back the day was to prevent Buffy from dying. That happened a little over a year later anyway. If you think about it Xander didn\'t have any special abilities and Buffy manages to save his butt as well as hers time and time again. Angel would have just needed to work out and bulk up a bit and he would have been fine. It was just a lame excuse so that Joss could keep them apart.
  • This is absolutely the best episode of the show. I recommend this to anyone who likes TV.

Here's out it is : Following the BtVS episode "Pangs" (4x8) Angel returns from Sunnydale, having prevented the vision Doyle had in the previous episode of Buffy in trouble and thought he had kept his visit a secret from Buffy, despite being found out by about everyone else. Buffy shows up in Los Angeles and confronts him about it. Their reunion is disrupted by a demon, that Angel & Buffy team up to kill and in the process, Angel gets tainted and becomes human. This allows Angel & Buffy to be together and live the perfect day. However, upon trying to refight the demon (who regenerated), Angel finds that without his vampire strength & skills, he is no match for the demon and needs to be rescued by Buffy, who kills it but not before the demon tells Angel that the End of Days has begun. Angel goes to the Oracles, who agree to make him a vampire again by essentially eliminating the day from everyone's mind, except Angels. The end of the episode has the previous day starting over again, with Buffy first arriving at Angel's, with no recollection that for 24 hours, they were happily in love together.

Are you kidding me. This is the first time we see get to see Buffy & Angel actually together, since he left Sunnydale. And now, through a twist of fate, Angel becomes human and the reason he leaves Buffy & Sunnydale is now gone allowing him and Buffy to truly "be together" ... both as humans. From the moment Angel walks out on the beach in the sunlight and grabs Buffy & kisses her ... as a fan, you had to love it. But in typical Buffy-verse fashion, you can never be too happy for too long. Just as quickly as we hear the wedding bells in the distance, Angel is forced, not only to choose to give up this life to become a vampire and help save the world, but just to add to the man's torment, he will be the only one who remembers it. Talk about harsh. The scene where Angel explains this choice to Buffy will rip your heart out, throw it on the floor, and dance a two-step on it. We finally see our two heroes together ... as it should be, only to have it flutter away just as quickly. Believe me, this is the one episode of both shows you must not miss.
  • This is the best episode in the Buffyverse!!!

This episode is the best episode in the Buffyverse!!! Everything worked in this episode. The writting was wonderful. The new sets were amazing (I really love the place where the oricles live, that infinit hallway makes them seem so powerful. And their costumes and skin are perfect. Their skin makes them human enough to not think they're demons, but not human enough to make you understand they are on a higher level than us).

The way that Buffy and Angel's love story climaxes here (for I think this is the highest point of their relationship. Within the two series they don't see much more of each other and they never hit this point.) is just amazing.

The scene when Angel tells Buffy that this is the end of him as a human, and they both cry, it is amazing!!!
  • Classic Forbidden Angel/Buffy Love

This is probably one of my favorite episodes of the Buffy/Angel Universe. It shows what could happen if Angel wins his redemption. I was a huge fan of the Buffy and Angel romance, and this episode made me cry. They had been through so much together and Angel had to give it all up. I'm with Doyle, in the next episode titled "Hero", he says something to the effect of, "You had the one thing (you wanted most) in your unnaturally long life and you gave it back?!" The kicker of it all is that Angel has to carry around the memory of that lost day when Buffy doesn't. Couldn't they have stricken his memory too? Well, I guess he wouldn't remember how to properly kill the demon then. This is one of my favorite Angel episodes. But then again, it's always good to see Buffy and Angel together.
  • What if...

Watching all five Angel seasons, I must say that this was the only really memorable episode. It was just amazing how it was explored what Buffy and Angel could have if only there weren't their destinies in the way.
    And in the end it was so sad to see that Angel chooses to be immortal and a Champion again - still no comparison to how sad it was to see Buffy like that. That scene is one of the saddest ever!
    Anway, it's a truly great episode and I could watch it over and over again, even if I have to cry every single time...
  • A classic "Buffy and Angel" episode.

This was my all time favorite episode from both Angel and Buffy. Buffy comes to LA after Angel's secretive visit. After a fight with a demon, Angel is mysteriously turned human. Angel spends a wonderful day with Buffy but throws it all away to safe the world. I really love this episode because it shows what could have been. It made me realize that Angel is willing to change the world to keep Buffy safee than have her at all. Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting was superior. The scene minutes before time was reverse made me cry. I thought it was so heartfelt and when Buffy held on to Angel made me bawl even more. Overall, this episode gets a ten, for the storyline, the acting, and the scene before time was reversed. Buffy and Angel forever.
  • After Angel helps Buffy fight off her Thanksgiving attackers, she comes to L.A. to confront him about keeping his presence from her. Their encounter leads to unbelievable events.

I'm a guy...and I'm a little embarassed to admit that parts of this episode made me cry like a baby. I am a huge mega geeky Buffy/Angel fan. I think that this episode is one of the saddest and most gutwrenching episodes in the run of both Buffy and Angel. The way I see it is...if an episode can make me cry...it's one of the best.
  • Buffy comes to town, and Tin Man Angel finally gets a heart.

While watching this episode, I thought to myself, this is the best episode of Angel ever. Then I thought, I have only watched the first eight episodes of a series that lasts for five seasons. Can I really say this is the best episode ever? Then I read on the internet that the Angel magazine did a poll of Angel fans, and this episode was voted the best episode. I hate comparing Angel to Buffy, because the two series are different and can stand on their own, but this episode just begs to be compared with its parent series by actually guest starring Sarah Michelle Gellar. I would venture to say "I Will Remember You" is the greatest episode out of all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.

David Greenwalt accomplishes with this episode what Joss Whedon was unable to in the Buffy episode "Amends" (one of my favorite Buffy episodes): a storyline about sacrifice with a meaningful foundation. A satisfactory story about redemption and sacrifice could not be spun about someone who was (un)dead.

We get major insight into why Angel is always so broody. He cannot enjoy even the little things of life: the taste of peanut butter and chocolate, intimate love, the sun. It is an absolute joy to watch Angel's reaction (and Cordelia's response about chocolate going to the hips) when he becomes a real boy and can taste food once again. Kudos to the writers for not having Angel and Buffy jump into bed with each other the second Angel becomes human (although it does eventually happen).

This episode had it all: a powerful theme about sacrifice, gut wrenching emotions, and fast-paced plot. The plot which included a truly menacing foe easily could have been the plot of a feature film or a two-part episode, but squishing it to fit in one television episode makes for one of the most fast-paced episodes of television ever. And did I mention that this episode was powerful emotionally?

Greenwalt and his writing partner for this episode consistently served up the unexpected. When Angel first started feeling side effects from the demon's blood, I thought he would either get deathly sick and Buffy would have to do something heroic to save him, or he would get an "aspect of the demon" like Buffy did in the Buffy episode "Earshot". Either would have provided a solid and probably humorous nevertheless mediocre episode. Instead Angel becomes human--something I never expected. "But then the rest of the episode was predictable. There had to be a reset button, so Angel could be vampire again," the cynic complains. Well, I am sorry if anyone feels that way, because it was not so for me. Why could the series have not continued with Angel as a human? There are other fictional, human vampire hunters. For example, Van Helsing. When I saw David Greenwalt as the writer in the opening credit, I was prepared for just such a twist in the series. Greenwalt was the showrunner. He was the one in charge of the direction of the series, and he was the one who would have had the ability to make just such a twist in the series.

The introduction of the oracles in this episode further deepens the beautiful mythology around vampires in the Whedonverse (which seems to be slowly slipping away in Buffy). I do wonder why Doyle, who has been a demon for a lot less time than Angel, knows more about demon society like the oracles and such. Every episode I have ever seen of a television series that backed up time to reverse the events of the entire episode (including Buffy episode "The Wish"), turned out bad...until now. The "reset button" in this episode was the anti-"reset button." It was a symbol of ultimate sacrifice rather than the resolution to the episode's complication.

I believe Angel works great as a standalone series. It does not need Buffy to lean on. I guess that is why it is the most surprising that a crossover episode earned the right to be the best episode ever. Interestingly, David Boreanaz was hesitant to even do this episode and the episode of Buffy right before it, because he wanted his new series to be able to stand on its own. I do not think the episode leans on the fact that it is a crossover. In actuality, the events of the first three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Buffy and Angel's romance provide a back story with true depth that few series have. This episode blows the episode of Buffy that aired the same evening guest starring David Boreanaz out of the water earning the only 10 out of 10 I have ever awarded a Buffy or Angel episode. -Matthew Miller
    Find this review and more at tv.swingthesickle.com
  • The second part of a Buffy Angel Crossover event.

Absolutely heartwrenching. The end scene, where Buffy and Angel have only a minute left... I cry no matter how many times I have watched it.
    This episode is a classic example of why the BuffyVerse is so amazing. The characters are so real that you actually get attatched to them, and that means the writers and directors are doing their jobs superbly.
    The only question the episode raised was when Angel became briefly human. Regardless of no longer being a vampire, he still remains under the curse. Wouldn't a moment of happiness result in the loss of his soul, leaving him a psychopathic killer of some sort? Just a curiousity.
    Absolutely worth a watch.
  • Buffy visits Angel to confront him about his visit to Sunnydale. A demon is killed and Angel becomes human, it wasn't long after Buffy and Angel were in each other's arms once again. Now Angel decides between his true love or his calling.

This was by far the best ep, the best TV kiss, connection and chemestry I've seen on television. This ep stands out within both shows and will be in my top five best moments of Buffy/Angel, or TV in general. Buffy and Angel are truely meant to be. I cryed, I laughed, I got angry lol! The performances and the writing in this ep were both very moving. I was instintly sucked in and was left in aw for the entire episode. The ending was so bitter sweet. Its amazing what Angel will sacrafice to protect the love of his life.
  • Buffy comes to LA to confront Angel and they spend an incredible 24 hours together. Sadly, Buffy will never remember but Angel will never forget.

One of the most amazing, brilliant episodes of Angel ever. Truly exemplary. Angel at it's finest. Buffy and Angel spend 24 hours together, with Angel is human form. But when Angel discovers that being human will cost Buffy her life, he realizes what he has to do - revert to his demonic form. The two spend one perfect day together, and the evening in each others arms... but all good things must one day end. The writing on this episode was brilliant and moving. At times a bit corny, the show makes up for it with amazing actors and brilliant dialogue. Two thumbs up!
  • In BtVS "Amends", Buffy tells Angel that "Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every

Unknowingly she gave him, that night, what would be the mission statement of his entire spin-off show. Having watched AtS through to its end a couple of times now, despite the fact that it's just a TV show it's given me a lot to think about, and one of the most relevant things to my life that it's given me personally is how I look at people. As Buffy herself said: "The hardest thing in this world is to live in If you make it to the age of 20 a decent human being, I'd consider you a survivor.

"I Will Remember You" is an episode of great importance and deep dramatic resonance that begs to be perfect and, well, very well could've been. Its focus is on the Buffy and Angel relationship, and visiting the 'life in your early twenties' metaphor again we see another staple experience: dealing with your ex. Oh, and what a pain it is. As recently as "The Bachelor Party" Doyle told Angel about his breakup with his young wife, and how perfectly it paralleled his situation; things go wrong and you're young like that, you don't just say 'Hey, thanks for the blender, I wish you well'. You fight - You tear each other apart until one of you can't take

This episode falls under the category of AtS' mission statement of sacrificing constantly for the sake of good, the endlessness of which is brought out into the open in the character's minds in the immeasurable "Epiphany". As his life will always be, Angel has to live without Buffy, and live alone, every single day. In this episode he will have to suffer through having the pain of losing her re-ignited again, and is once again going to have to take a long look into the sun, accept what he's giving up and then let it go forever.

After Angel's appearance in Sunnydale, and Buffy's rather humorous discovery of the fact, she shows up in . seeking answers. The two go through the motions, with their epic drama at a full crescendo, and it's here that the episode takes a wrong turn. There's a lot done right, but what really keeps this episode from being perfect, and what I'll go into first, is the Mohra demon.

It just so happens that there is a type of demon whose blood burns out any demonic essence in other beings, and it also happens that Angel gets some of this blood into a cut on his hand when he decides to fight it own his own away from Buffy, perfectly setting them into place for a dramatic reunion. It's far too convenient for my liking, and much like "Eternity" or BtVS "Enemies" carelessly tosses around something that has, in the past, been made a huge deal of and rightly so.

My other problem is Angel's foolishly out of character behaviour in his confrontation of the Mohra demon; perhaps he did again become Liam. There's nothing in his personality to suggest he would suddenly forget the limitations of his strength and speed as a human, and knowing a demon's strength, certainly wouldn't be so foolish as to believe he could take it down on sheer force of will. This was done purely to force the confrontation with the demon, and while necessary, it's a shame they couldn't have done it more logically.

As for what is done right: everything else. This episode has the deepest, most heartfelt drama that the Whedonverse had seen up to this point since BtVS "Becoming, Part II". David Boreanaz, who had become an exceptionally better actor since that time, is at the top of his game here as is Sarah Michelle Gellar, and they light up the screen in both their happiest and most tragic moments. The next-to-final scene where Angel confesses his deal with the Oracles is nothing short of masterfully played.

Development brought about by the events herein is also done well and is important to Angel's character, even more so than the choice he faced in "In the Dark". Buffy's edited memory of her visit allows her some ability to move past Angel and continue further with Riley back in Sunnydale. Angel's memory of the grand day out leaves him with further and more deeply important conviction on what he's really fighting for: souls, humanity and love. That he's uncertain of his purpose as a human makes him only that much more committed to the mission when the day is erased.

His selfless commitment to Buffy is still present as always; he worries more about burdening her with his mortal weakness than he does about his inability to fight. This is clear when he's willing to fight the Mohra, but not willing to include Buffy. But what matters more than anything is the realization and acceptance of the horrible truth that, once again, they can't be together. The comparison of tea and crackers to sex and peanut butter also reminds us why they need to stay away physically as well.

Angel's mission and Buffy's duty are too great a sacrifice to make, and Cordelia serves up a damn good point when she tells Buffy "you can't have everythingyou can't have Angel, and save the world!" After facing the Mohra and nearly dying to the tune of putting his true love in danger, Angel realizes this too. This leads to the heartbreaking and flawless scene where the two count down the time to Buffy forgetting everything. This is one of the bold few scenes in the entire series that waters my eyes every time; few others, no matter how emotional, can match.

This episode is also important in how it puts a final sense of closure on Buffy and Angel's relationship. Sure, the reasons for the split were listed and explained in BtVS "The Prom" and "Graduation Day, Part II", but there was no real sense of resolution, just Angel walking off into the mist. Still having felt it his right to sneak around Buffy for her better 'interests,' it was clear that Angel believed there was still an obligation for him to fulfill, despite his leaving Buffy; the 'rules' of the breakup weren't clear enough. And, for Angel to carry on in his mission and Buffy to move on with Riley and her life, this episode had to happen.

And happen it did. The whole of the story here is about sacrifice, but take away the supernatural elements and it's still every bit as powerful. It resonates because of what Angel has to experience and suffer through, and the sympathy he merits borders on empathy because every single one of us knows what it is to live every day with pain, especially those of us who have been in such high-strung relationships. It's in all this that the episode gains all of its points, in how it has a heart unparalleled by any episode of this season, and overwhelms the episode's weaknesses; you may not even catch them the first viewing.

That Angel couldn't keep his heart is a true tragedy, as is the fact that this episode keeps itself from a perfect score, no matter its feats.
  • Two words: Angel cries.

That pretty much sums it up. Angel, as anyone who is reading this knows, is a taciturn man, not one to show many emotions. But in the final moments of this beautiful, beautiful episode, my beloved Angel cries.
    I am a huge fan of both shows, and about 2 years ago, I bought a video on ebay, "For your Emmy consideration" on the top. Yes, it's illegal. Sue me. I didn't know what ep it was, all I knew is that this was relatively rare. It was shrink wrapped when I bought it, and I kept it that way for quite some time, figuring it was just a bunch of clips from the show. Well, eventually curiosity got the better of me, and I opened it. I popped it into my vcr without looking at the tape, and sat down to watch.

The opening scene of I Will Remember You greeted me.

Of all the ep's Joss could have chosen to send to the Emmy big wigs, he chose IWRY. Why? Because it shows David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar doing some of their best work.

This episode is the quintessential B/A ep. It is especially significant now, after Angel forfeited the Shanshu. Watching it now, if possible, breaks my heart even more. He will never walk in the light. He will never find complete happiness. He is a true hero, and that's the tragedy. Always putting others before him. Losing everyone he loves.

One last snippet:

Joss Whedon on his favorite episode:

"I'd have to say IWRY because it kind of broke my heart"

Us too, Joss. Us too.

• Now, I'm a manly man man, but jeez, when the time was winding down at the end and Buffy was crying, I almost lost it, best tearjerker episdoe of the series.

At the beginning of this episode I got kinda confused. Buffy had just shown up because Angel had come to Sunnydale a couple of days ago and helped her in battle without even talking to her. So I just figured it would be a normal reunion; They talk, fight with each other, fight a demon, talk out their problems, then be done with it. Didn't happen like that. The Mohra demon's regenerative blood mixed with Angel's and made him human. This making him able to enjoy food, sex, and just basically life. I felt happy for him that he was enjoying these things but any fan of the show knows that this wasn't going to turn out well. With his new found humanity, he wasn't able to fight. Making him a liability for Buffy when she fights and in the end they would end up leaving tons of people to die. So he had to reverse the time back. Once he told Buffy she got really teary. This is where I started to break down. Angel and Buffy where crying and then time just went back. Buffy had forgotten everything and it was over. Good episode, great tearjerker.
< 1 2 3