Angel

I Will Remember You

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 23, 1999 on The WB

• In BtVS "Amends", Buffy tells Angel that "Strong is fighting! It's hard, and it's painful, and it's every

Unknowingly she gave him, that night, what would be the mission statement of his entire spin-off show. Having watched AtS through to its end a couple of times now, despite the fact that it's just a TV show it's given me a lot to think about, and one of the most relevant things to my life that it's given me personally is how I look at people. As Buffy herself said: "The hardest thing in this world is to live in If you make it to the age of 20 a decent human being, I'd consider you a survivor.

"I Will Remember You" is an episode of great importance and deep dramatic resonance that begs to be perfect and, well, very well could've been. Its focus is on the Buffy and Angel relationship, and visiting the 'life in your early twenties' metaphor again we see another staple experience: dealing with your ex. Oh, and what a pain it is. As recently as "The Bachelor Party" Doyle told Angel about his breakup with his young wife, and how perfectly it paralleled his situation; things go wrong and you're young like that, you don't just say 'Hey, thanks for the blender, I wish you well'. You fight - You tear each other apart until one of you can't take

This episode falls under the category of AtS' mission statement of sacrificing constantly for the sake of good, the endlessness of which is brought out into the open in the character's minds in the immeasurable "Epiphany". As his life will always be, Angel has to live without Buffy, and live alone, every single day. In this episode he will have to suffer through having the pain of losing her re-ignited again, and is once again going to have to take a long look into the sun, accept what he's giving up and then let it go forever.

After Angel's appearance in Sunnydale, and Buffy's rather humorous discovery of the fact, she shows up in . seeking answers. The two go through the motions, with their epic drama at a full crescendo, and it's here that the episode takes a wrong turn. There's a lot done right, but what really keeps this episode from being perfect, and what I'll go into first, is the Mohra demon.

It just so happens that there is a type of demon whose blood burns out any demonic essence in other beings, and it also happens that Angel gets some of this blood into a cut on his hand when he decides to fight it own his own away from Buffy, perfectly setting them into place for a dramatic reunion. It's far too convenient for my liking, and much like "Eternity" or BtVS "Enemies" carelessly tosses around something that has, in the past, been made a huge deal of and rightly so.

My other problem is Angel's foolishly out of character behaviour in his confrontation of the Mohra demon; perhaps he did again become Liam. There's nothing in his personality to suggest he would suddenly forget the limitations of his strength and speed as a human, and knowing a demon's strength, certainly wouldn't be so foolish as to believe he could take it down on sheer force of will. This was done purely to force the confrontation with the demon, and while necessary, it's a shame they couldn't have done it more logically.

As for what is done right: everything else. This episode has the deepest, most heartfelt drama that the Whedonverse had seen up to this point since BtVS "Becoming, Part II". David Boreanaz, who had become an exceptionally better actor since that time, is at the top of his game here as is Sarah Michelle Gellar, and they light up the screen in both their happiest and most tragic moments. The next-to-final scene where Angel confesses his deal with the Oracles is nothing short of masterfully played.

Development brought about by the events herein is also done well and is important to Angel's character, even more so than the choice he faced in "In the Dark". Buffy's edited memory of her visit allows her some ability to move past Angel and continue further with Riley back in Sunnydale. Angel's memory of the grand day out leaves him with further and more deeply important conviction on what he's really fighting for: souls, humanity and love. That he's uncertain of his purpose as a human makes him only that much more committed to the mission when the day is erased.

His selfless commitment to Buffy is still present as always; he worries more about burdening her with his mortal weakness than he does about his inability to fight. This is clear when he's willing to fight the Mohra, but not willing to include Buffy. But what matters more than anything is the realization and acceptance of the horrible truth that, once again, they can't be together. The comparison of tea and crackers to sex and peanut butter also reminds us why they need to stay away physically as well.

Angel's mission and Buffy's duty are too great a sacrifice to make, and Cordelia serves up a damn good point when she tells Buffy "you can't have everythingyou can't have Angel, and save the world!" After facing the Mohra and nearly dying to the tune of putting his true love in danger, Angel realizes this too. This leads to the heartbreaking and flawless scene where the two count down the time to Buffy forgetting everything. This is one of the bold few scenes in the entire series that waters my eyes every time; few others, no matter how emotional, can match.

This episode is also important in how it puts a final sense of closure on Buffy and Angel's relationship. Sure, the reasons for the split were listed and explained in BtVS "The Prom" and "Graduation Day, Part II", but there was no real sense of resolution, just Angel walking off into the mist. Still having felt it his right to sneak around Buffy for her better 'interests,' it was clear that Angel believed there was still an obligation for him to fulfill, despite his leaving Buffy; the 'rules' of the breakup weren't clear enough. And, for Angel to carry on in his mission and Buffy to move on with Riley and her life, this episode had to happen.

And happen it did. The whole of the story here is about sacrifice, but take away the supernatural elements and it's still every bit as powerful. It resonates because of what Angel has to experience and suffer through, and the sympathy he merits borders on empathy because every single one of us knows what it is to live every day with pain, especially those of us who have been in such high-strung relationships. It's in all this that the episode gains all of its points, in how it has a heart unparalleled by any episode of this season, and overwhelms the episode's weaknesses; you may not even catch them the first viewing.

That Angel couldn't keep his heart is a true tragedy, as is the fact that this episode keeps itself from a perfect score, no matter its feats.
  • Never have i seen an episode which involves such true happiness and such excruciating pain in one whole episode

All of those who've watched this episode probably hated it and love it. There truly was moments of pure joy and moments of painful heartbreak.

I watched Buffy as a kid and now i recently watched it again years learn to appreciate it more.

Buffy and Angel are like Emilie Bronte's Heathcliff and Catherine from Wuthering Heights. And thas why i love it so much. After Angel left in season 3 i didnt really watch buffy fully only the episodes in which angel appeared in. To be honest i didnt even know that Angel and Buffy would interlink between episodes. And Joss Whedon does an exceptional job between the two series.

This episode was so beautiful esp for Angel and Buffy fans as they finally get way through the episode i really thought it was too good to be true and thought it has to be a dream. The last few moments of I Will Remember You were heartbreaking to watch. I never felt so emotionaly it was terrible and the worst thing is that because it all happened in the last few mins of the episode the sadness sticks with felt so drained.

I was so scared to watch the episode again. And at one stage i felt really pissed with Joss Whedon.. i mean everyone longs for these two to get together and then the second they finally make it they get ripped apart. Not fair.

I think Joss needs to call up david boreanaz and sarah michelle gellar and ask to do a sequel to make it much clearly to the fans how Buffy loved Angel more than Spike.

• One of the best of season 1.

This episode pissed me off so much. I loved it, don't get me wrong, but I was so angry at the end. Seeing Buffy and Angel together was perfect to watch. I loved seeing them again, and they were both so happy! Unfortunately, Angel gets his ass kicked and he makes the decision to turn back time, leading to the saddest minute of Bangel history. Now, I don't understand why he had to turn back time. I mean, Riley and the initiative, as much as I hate them, can still fight. And while it doesn't work out between Riley and Buffy (Thank god), it could have between Angel and Buffy because they are in love. I understand how if this had happened and it stayed the same, things would be drastically different, but it still isn't fair.
  • Angel's immediate return from Sunnydale left fans with the question, Will Buffy come to LA? From Angel becoming a human to a reconciliation between the star crossed lovers. I will remember you leaves the viewer pleased with the on going events until its d

With Angel coming back from his predecessor's home town. The Slayer comes to LA with unanswered questions. With the premise of unfulfilled hope it leaves the show to have the potential that Buffy and Angel fans all over the world wanted reconciliation between the doomed lovers. But in this Whedonesque style the memory of it all would be limited to one hero. With a moving performance by David Boreanez and his co-star Sarah Michelle Gellar it leaves the fans wanting more but like there relationship all you will be left with is honorable irony to these characters.
  • Buffy comes to LA...And offcourse things won't go like planned. Angels becomes human and the lovers now have a chance to be together. But the question is, does it last long?

I adore this episode and after watching it a couple dozen times I could quote the final scenes. I think I actually cried during the "I'll never forget"-scene. This was just what the B/A fans needed. Especially since they never really get together after this. So, this was one of the best Angel-episodes of all the seasons.
  • The Time Isn't Now

6.1
    I was never a fan of the Buffy/Angel romance and when I first heard that Buffy will be crossing over for this episode, I immediately thought it was a mistake. This is Angel's show and having their relationship be thrust to the foreground so soon in the season isn't that great.

Thankfully, the writers put a neat twist on their romance by having Angel becoming momentarily human, leaving Buffy and himself to have the perfect relationship together that they had always wanted to have.

Sarah Michelle Gellar gives a brilliant performance in this episode from her anger in the opening scenes as she yells at Angel for coming to Sunnydale to rescue her from the Chumash tribe to her immediate happiness when she discovers that Angel has become human.

Although I Will Remember You is a decent episode, I actually think it's extremely overrated. The official Angel magazine rated it as the best ever episode and I have to disagree. The whole hour seems like its only purpose is to please Bangel fans that were extremely pissed when Joss separated both characters. There are way too many vomit-inducing scenes (ooh look Angel's all naked, ooh look Buffy's licking ice cream of Angel's bulging chest) and in the end, it turns into melodramatic soap-opera-lite garbage. Although, any viewer who doesn't even cry a tiny bit during the episode's closing moments is obviously made of stone. The pain on Buffy and Angel's faces when they realize they only have around 20 seconds left before time reverses back to normal is just heartbreaking...

If you're a big fan of the Buffy and Angel romance, you'll regret missing it but if you like your Angel slayer-free, I wouldn't recommend...

Director: David Grossman
    Writers: David Greenwalt, Jeannine Renshaw
    Rating: C+
  • She only came to prove a point, but everything turned out different when Buffy's once undead boyfriend turns into everything she could ever wish for... Human.

Angel and Buffy struggled through so much love and hate in their relationship that never was it easy to be together. Buffy was risking it all as a slayer, and Angel was fighting for redemption as a vampire with a soul. They loved each other so much, and it was killing them.

But what was even worse, was that it would kill others for them to be together. What felt so right to them was ultimately wrong for the world. It just shows that when you put yourself to be in the position of a champ or warrior, you can't think about yourself first. Angel and Buffy loved each other so much, that they couldn't risk the world the each other lived in.

If you're a fan of the Buffy/Angel relationship, this is an absolutely beautiful episode. As you watch Angel and Buffy stare into each other's eyes bawling as their hearts are breaking, your heart breaks too. But with every good BtVS and Ats episode, it serves a good lesson that we too may learn from. Time is precious. As is being happy...
  • Buffy comes to town, yells at Angel and then he's human and they're happy. But this is Angel, so we know it cannot last. So then he's not human anymore, and everyone forgets, except for Angel and everyother poor soul who saw this episode.

4.5
    What a schmaltz fest! I mean, really, what was the plot again? O, wait, there wasn't one, instead there was a plot device to bring in Buffy and then screw with Angel's head a little bit. And let's not forget the tiny little point that with Angel turning human easily and accidentally that it basically negates the last, oh, I don't know four seasons of the show. You know, when the driving force was Angel Trying To Become HUMAN! What was the point of him trying so damn hard when all he'd have to do is track down and bleed a demon? Granted the writers more than likely didn't know this at the time they wrote the episode, but still, it's such a glaring point that it's impossible to ignore.
    Yeah, besides that, too much Buffy and Angel being 'in love' and not enough Cordelia and Doyle who actually had some real chemistry going on.
  • Time has not been kind to this episode.

0.1
    I'm sorry, but as someone who wanted Angel to stand on its own two feet and who was sick of the B/A storyline at that point, I just could not bring myself to like that episode. You could literally take this entire show out of the series and it wouldn't effect the plot in any way. It was just another excuse to make Angel depressed and broody again and to portray B/A as the same old boring angst that was predominant during the second and third seasons of BTVS. I was glad when the focus was shifted to C/A on Angel(and B/S on BTVS), because the characters became much more interesting as a result.
  • Why cant Angel be happy???

So Buffy comes to town, they fight a demon, and Angel becomes a real boy. Great, right?? No, because this is not a happy world that Angel is living in, therefore nothing can be good for him. Angel and Buffy have this one beutiful night together, eat ice cream in bed... They are happy, then it all has to go to the crapper, Angel finds out that if he stays human Buffy will die, so he decides to go back to being the tormented vampire he was and to make it so he is the only one who remembers what happened between him and Buffy. I would be lying if I said I didnt cry durring this episode... why cant Angel be happy???
  • What could life be like for Buffy and Angel if he were human?

The answer is pretty darn amazing! Buffy comes to town to tell off Angel for coming to Sunnydale to help her in a battle and never telling her he was there. The two end up tracking down a demon and when it's blood gets on Angel it restores him to human form. Not sure what this turn of events means Buffy and Angel sit in his kitchen in an uncomfortable silence. Meanwhile, upstairs Cordelia explains to Doyle how B&A have the forbidden love of all time and she's sure they are getting it on now that they can. And after a discussion of taking things slowly Buffy and Angel succomb to passion and make love. Yeah!!! It was a long time coming for fans of this couple. Knowing this time Angel wasn't going to go all Angelus on us. The scenes were sweet and sexy. Just perfect to this B&A fan.

We later discover that another similar demon is around so Angel goes off on his own to fight it. Having lost his vampire strength Angel is merely mortal and beaten badly until Buffy comes along and saves him. Angel hates the idea of having lost his ability to fight the good fight and help people. He visits TPTB and discovers the apocolypse will come and he will be helpless to help Buffy in the fight unless he gives up his newly acquired mortal life with her. He decides to give up his happiness for the greater good of the world. As time runs down Angel explains to Buffy what must be done kissing her one last time before her memory of their time together is completely erased. Only Angel will carry the memory of their time together.

The episode was humorous, action packed, sexy and heart wrenching all at once. Exactly what you come to expect from the brilliant Joss Whedon. I know in my heart if given more time Buffy would've remembered and she would've returned to confront Angel again with even sweeter results...
  • Now, I'm a manly man man, but jeez, when the time was winding down at the end and Buffy was crying, I almost lost it, best tearjerker episdoe of the series.

At the beginning of this episode I got kinda confused. Buffy had just shown up because Angel had come to Sunnydale a couple of days ago and helped her in battle without even talking to her. So I just figured it would be a normal reunion; They talk, fight with each other, fight a demon, talk out their problems, then be done with it. Didn't happen like that. The Mohra demon's regenerative blood mixed with Angel's and made him human. This making him able to enjoy food, sex, and just basically life. I felt happy for him that he was enjoying these things but any fan of the show knows that this wasn't going to turn out well. With his new found humanity, he wasn't able to fight. Making him a liability for Buffy when she fights and in the end they would end up leaving tons of people to die. So he had to reverse the time back. Once he told Buffy she got really teary. This is where I started to break down. Angel and Buffy where crying and then time just went back. Buffy had forgotten everything and it was over. Good episode, great tearjerker.
  • Two words: Angel cries.

That pretty much sums it up. Angel, as anyone who is reading this knows, is a taciturn man, not one to show many emotions. But in the final moments of this beautiful, beautiful episode, my beloved Angel cries.
    I am a huge fan of both shows, and about 2 years ago, I bought a video on ebay, "For your Emmy consideration" on the top. Yes, it's illegal. Sue me. I didn't know what ep it was, all I knew is that this was relatively rare. It was shrink wrapped when I bought it, and I kept it that way for quite some time, figuring it was just a bunch of clips from the show. Well, eventually curiosity got the better of me, and I opened it. I popped it into my vcr without looking at the tape, and sat down to watch.

The opening scene of I Will Remember You greeted me.

Of all the ep's Joss could have chosen to send to the Emmy big wigs, he chose IWRY. Why? Because it shows David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar doing some of their best work.

This episode is the quintessential B/A ep. It is especially significant now, after Angel forfeited the Shanshu. Watching it now, if possible, breaks my heart even more. He will never walk in the light. He will never find complete happiness. He is a true hero, and that's the tragedy. Always putting others before him. Losing everyone he loves.

One last snippet:

Joss Whedon on his favorite episode:

"I'd have to say IWRY because it kind of broke my heart"

Us too, Joss. Us too.

• 'You know, it's a good thing I didn't fantasize about you turning human about ten zillion times...because today would have been a real let-down.'

A great episode of Angel, Buffy comes in town and be becomes human.

The best thing about this episode were those beautiful Bangel moments, the ones with the food but also the very depressing ones.
    But the episode isn’t quite perfect, both characters should have moved on after their separation but this episode brings them steps back. Both Buffy and Angel were already having a love interest, Angel had Kate and Buffy had Riley.

So anyway, Buffy comes in town and is a little upset because Angel didn’t tell her he went looking out for her. When they talk they get interrupted by a demon who is then scared away and Angel and Buffy decide to go after it.

They follow it into the sewers but they believe he might have gone up. Angel stays in the sewers and kills the demon, but his blood mixed with Angel’s which gives Angel a heartbeat and pulse. Angel begins to eat everything in his sight, then he chooses to do what he always wanted. He goes to see Buffy in the light and they share a beautiful kiss.

Angel and Buffy soon then fall inlove again and let their temptation fall in. They sleep together and eat food off each other. They decide to stick together until Doyle has a vision of the demon regenerating itself. Angel doesn’t want to wake up Buffy so he goes with Doyle but they soon get in trouble and the demon almost kills Angel. Buffy is then told by Cordy where Angel hangs out and she comes to the rescue and kills the Mora demon by smashing it’s jewel.

The demon named some army of demons that were coming for them. Angel goes back to the Oracles who are a male and a female gods and he asks them to give his life for Buffy or else she will die. But the only way is for time to go back and making this day to never happened, Angel is willing to do that for Buffy and other people’s sake.

The episode is mostly depressing because of the end when Angel tells Buffy about the day coming back. It’s so sad to say goodbye, especially for Angel who will be the only one to remember that day. When the time goes back Buffy is standing at the same moment when she arrived and tells him to not see her again, also the Mora demon attacks then and Angel kills it.
    ‘I Will Remember You’ is a beautiful episode with a terrific and sad ending. But the weak side is that both characters should have developed and this episode didn’t help with that.

• one of the best episodes in the hole show

althought i liked the show very much i missed seeing angel fight beside buffy and i guess that everybody felt very sad when angel brokeup with buffy and left sunnydale and we hoped that we would see them fighting together again and this episode came it was like a dream come true and ofcorse the big surprise of human angel case was amazing i mean who could believe that the 245 years old vampire would become human again and while his true love is in town. i have to say that with all theese surprises i was more that chocked at the last one when he decided to return a vamp again i almost cried at the seen when he told buffy that he will return a vamp and that she wont rememeber what happened.
    it is one of the best episodes i've seen in both "buffy the vampire slayer" & "angel" but i was little disappointed that they didnt mention any thing about it in any other episode
  • by far the saddest and most heart wrenching episode of angel...

Buffy comes to L.A. to confront Angel about coming to Sunnydale and just watching her, no contact. They end up fighting a demon that inadventently turns Angel human. The whole fantasty about Angel turning human and them being together is realized but only for a short while, until Angel finds out he's useless to the war w/o his vampire powers.. he asks the powers that be to reverse everything, so they decide to take back the day, and he has to stop the demon from turning him human. The entire, watchin Angel eat food, and watching him and Buffy interact was great. The tears start swelling when Buffy freaks out and says there isn't enough time.. But I started bawling when Angel started crying.. this episode gets me EVERY TIME.
  • I classified it as PAINFUL TO WATCH...not becuase I hate it...I am truly in love with this episode, it's because it hurted me and touched me so much. "I will Always Remember" is truly a winning episode, but also heartbreaking to those Buffy fans (like me)

I'm a Buffy fan, and where I live, the Angel series have a certain time w here it restarted from season one. I have to admit that I felt Angel pretty boring compared to my fave series, Buffy...but then Buffy appeared in this episode. And you could I imagine me feeling ever so happy, I LOVE Buffy the Vamp slayer =P. And as all fans of Buffy and a begining-to-become-a-fan of Angel, truly felt happy for the two superstars to finally have a day to, just be together. But then Angel sacrificed being with her Because he knew that this would just kill Buffy. And his love for Buffy is far more than just being with her, it's watching her live, letting her do what she does best without slowing her down. And he told the oracles to turn back time, back to 24 hours ago, meaning Buffy won't remember a thing.

And that last scene of Buffy and Angel in each other's arms. And Buffy gazing into Angel's eyes, her eyes wide and soaking with tears, told Angel that she can NEVER forget him..."I felt your heartbeating"...she kept repeating that and repeating, then time went back, and Buffy was in the middle of her sentence saying that they should seperate for a while so they would f o r g e t. And that's where it bites. Angel has to carry this burden, this wonderful day, by himself.

The thing i'm sorta pissed at is that David(ANGEL) said that if they were asked to have another series of Angel, he wouldn't do it because he wants to move on...i get the moving on part..but comon', taking part in both Buffy and Angel must have changed his life somehow. I know mine did.

I spent the whole night thinking "WHY? they were finally together" what sort of angered me was that Buffy never found out...never. It would just have been nice that IF..and only If, although I know there will never be, another Buffy or Angel series, that Buffy will find out... The song "Close your Eyes.." Evrything was hearttorning...But it was a wonderful bittersweet ending of Buffy and Angel's first reunion.

• The best episode I have ever seen.

The first crossover of the series, Buffy comes to visit to berate Angel but she ends up getting the man she always wanted when Angel is turned human. The one thing that HE'S always wanted, so both people get what they want, they can spend the rest of the lives together right?

...Wrong, because evil's still afoot in Los Angeles and Angel decides to pick fighting evil rather than spending the rest of his life with the woman he loves. The two spend the night together and Angel feels perfect happyness without turning evil. But due to the Morra demon returning, Angel's lack of strength and even more evil on it's way Angel decides that he'd be better as a Vampire.

After convincing the Powers That Be to turn back time, he let's Buffy walk out of his life and even though Angel lost the one thing he truly loved, he has the perfect day in his mind forever.
  • I love this episode! I never liked Angel or Buffy till a friend introduced it to me and that was the first episode he showed me! It only makes me angry that Buffy and Angel aren't together! they are perfect.. but its not in the cards i guess!:(

So i would definetly give this episode a 10! Buffy and Angel are the most tangled up couple i have ever seen. They love eachother and its obvious but they can't be together! It's not the right times and its not in the cards for them! It obviouse there will always be something there between them no matter what! This was by far the saddest most heart aching episode i have ever seen! I wanted to cry!
  • WOW, just WOW.....

This is the best episode of the season.
    Buffy comes to LA to see her dad but stops by to see Angel. While Buffy and Angel go looking for a demon Angel gets infected with it's blood and it makes him human. Angel and Buffy are as happy as anyone can get. They even do the deed. Then Angel learns that Buffy will die if he stays human. You see with him being human he wont be able to fight, and Buffy will die saving him. So angel sacrifices his humanity to safe his beloved Buffy. TPTB tell him that the time will rewind and he is the only one who will remember everything. So Angel goes home to tell Buffy the bad news. They hold eachother and Buffy cries and pleads him to take it back. They say they love eachother and then the time goes back till when Buffy first arrived in LA. Angel kills the demon without getting its blood on him.
    Truely the best episode of the season. Sarah and David are wonderful and do an extraordinary job. such an "Angel" classic.
  • Favorite episode, hands down.

Having just gotten into Buffy and Angel and every or nearly every episode in very quick succession, the fact that this episode, from a season where the show was trying to establish itself as separate from its parent, remains my favorite episode of both shows is a testimate to its writing and acting. The standout being Sara Michelle Gellar, who I can say plays hurt the best of almost any actress I'v ever seen. Whenever I see this episode I'm sad for the rest of the day because of her performance. The fact that one episode of a fantasy/horror/whatever show can have that much emotional impact on a man is testiment to its quality.
  • Angel is human after contact with a demon's blood. Buffy is in town and naturally the first thing that happens is they are back together in no time flat. Angel as a human is not a good demon fighter, and chooses to go back in time and undo the day

When I saw this episode I was all tears the whole time and I am not the crying type. I just knew things wouldn't work out between my favorite couple, but I wanted to believe it so much. This is hands down my favorite episode in the Buffyverse. It was so real, so raw so full of everything. While the circumstances don't exactly happen every day, it felt as if it could and it was like any other relationship in its realism.

This is also the episode that I have watched the most out of any Angel/Buffy and I have seen each more than 3 times most likely (with the exception of the series' finales which also get me teary). It just encapulates everything both Buffy and Angel stand for and their true feelings. No matter who they are with, they are really always with each other.
  • Incredibly sad episode

This was such an amazing episode Anyone who is a true Buffy Angel shipper had to love this.

Buffy coming to see Angel after he visited without telling her was something everyone expected but not something everyone thought would be so amazing. It is such a series classic because Angel was human for a day and experienced perfect happiness with Buffy.

It was so amazing to see how Angel dealt with the reality of being human and not having his normal vampire strength. He still wanted to protect the woman he loved even without his super strength and that made this such a special episode. This brought our character into a brighter light and literally too.

The way that the writers made this play out was incredible. They made all of the viewers wish for the happy ending that they would never get because it's Buffy and Angel.

This was so amazing and not just because of Angel being human and Sarah Michelle Gellar being in the episode it was amazing to see how everyone reacted to the situation.

Cordelia almost found herself out of the job and she was played out like our classic Cordy feeling sorry for herself and Doyle being happy for his friend.

This was a different kind of episode, one that we don't usually see but the story was perfect and it made me cry. It leaves you wishing for the happy ending that as I said didn't happen
  • Angel turns human and he and Buffy spend time together

One of the best episodes on the show. Also one of the saddest.
    It\'s a shame they couldn\'t be together. The whole reason Angel turned back the day was to prevent Buffy from dying. That happened a little over a year later anyway. If you think about it Xander didn\'t have any special abilities and Buffy manages to save his butt as well as hers time and time again. Angel would have just needed to work out and bulk up a bit and he would have been fine. It was just a lame excuse so that Joss could keep them apart.
  • This is absolutely the best episode of the show. I recommend this to anyone who likes TV.

Here's out it is : Following the BtVS episode "Pangs" (4x8) Angel returns from Sunnydale, having prevented the vision Doyle had in the previous episode of Buffy in trouble and thought he had kept his visit a secret from Buffy, despite being found out by about everyone else. Buffy shows up in Los Angeles and confronts him about it. Their reunion is disrupted by a demon, that Angel & Buffy team up to kill and in the process, Angel gets tainted and becomes human. This allows Angel & Buffy to be together and live the perfect day. However, upon trying to refight the demon (who regenerated), Angel finds that without his vampire strength & skills, he is no match for the demon and needs to be rescued by Buffy, who kills it but not before the demon tells Angel that the End of Days has begun. Angel goes to the Oracles, who agree to make him a vampire again by essentially eliminating the day from everyone's mind, except Angels. The end of the episode has the previous day starting over again, with Buffy first arriving at Angel's, with no recollection that for 24 hours, they were happily in love together.

Are you kidding me. This is the first time we see get to see Buffy & Angel actually together, since he left Sunnydale. And now, through a twist of fate, Angel becomes human and the reason he leaves Buffy & Sunnydale is now gone allowing him and Buffy to truly "be together" ... both as humans. From the moment Angel walks out on the beach in the sunlight and grabs Buffy & kisses her ... as a fan, you had to love it. But in typical Buffy-verse fashion, you can never be too happy for too long. Just as quickly as we hear the wedding bells in the distance, Angel is forced, not only to choose to give up this life to become a vampire and help save the world, but just to add to the man's torment, he will be the only one who remembers it. Talk about harsh. The scene where Angel explains this choice to Buffy will rip your heart out, throw it on the floor, and dance a two-step on it. We finally see our two heroes together ... as it should be, only to have it flutter away just as quickly. Believe me, this is the one episode of both shows you must not miss.
  • This is the best episode in the Buffyverse!!!

This episode is the best episode in the Buffyverse!!! Everything worked in this episode. The writting was wonderful. The new sets were amazing (I really love the place where the oricles live, that infinit hallway makes them seem so powerful. And their costumes and skin are perfect. Their skin makes them human enough to not think they're demons, but not human enough to make you understand they are on a higher level than us).

The way that Buffy and Angel's love story climaxes here (for I think this is the highest point of their relationship. Within the two series they don't see much more of each other and they never hit this point.) is just amazing.

The scene when Angel tells Buffy that this is the end of him as a human, and they both cry, it is amazing!!!
  • The first great "Angel" episode. And it was painful for us Buffy-Angel fans to watch.

“I Will Remember You” was the first great ANGEL episode. It showed why the Buffy-Angel relationship would never work. Buffy shows up in LA to confront Angel about his recent visit to her in Sunnydale in the previous BUFFY episode, “Pangs”. She was upset with him because he was in Sunnydale and kept his being there a secret and because they had agreed to stay out of each other’s lives. But before they can discuss anything, they are attacked by a demon. They then hunt the demon, and after battling it again, its blood turns Angel human. With Angel human, they finally are able to be with each other. They are finally able to have a perfect day with each other. But, while battling the demon, he puts Buffy and himself in more danger than before. Their relationship soon becomes tragic once more. Angel realizes that if he remains human it could get Buffy killed trying to protect him. He makes a visit to the Oracles and persuades them to reverse time so he can once again become the hero that he needs to be. And they agree, after Angel gives them his watch as a gift. He then returns to Buffy and tells her about his decision. And the final scene, where Buffy begins to cry and proclaim that there isn’t enough time and they embrace each other, is a tearjerker. Angel is the only one that has the knowledge of his sacrifice, and perhaps it is a driving force behind his darker and moody state that follows him throughout the series run.
    The secondary story line of Cordy and Doyle’s comedic banter is a perfect fit with the tragedy of Angel and Buffy’s relationship.
  • Classic Forbidden Angel/Buffy Love

This is probably one of my favorite episodes of the Buffy/Angel Universe. It shows what could happen if Angel wins his redemption. I was a huge fan of the Buffy and Angel romance, and this episode made me cry. They had been through so much together and Angel had to give it all up. I'm with Doyle, in the next episode titled "Hero", he says something to the effect of, "You had the one thing (you wanted most) in your unnaturally long life and you gave it back?!" The kicker of it all is that Angel has to carry around the memory of that lost day when Buffy doesn't. Couldn't they have stricken his memory too? Well, I guess he wouldn't remember how to properly kill the demon then. This is one of my favorite Angel episodes. But then again, it's always good to see Buffy and Angel together.
  • What if...

Watching all five Angel seasons, I must say that this was the only really memorable episode. It was just amazing how it was explored what Buffy and Angel could have if only there weren't their destinies in the way.
    And in the end it was so sad to see that Angel chooses to be immortal and a Champion again - still no comparison to how sad it was to see Buffy like that. That scene is one of the saddest ever!
    Anway, it's a truly great episode and I could watch it over and over again, even if I have to cry every single time...
  • The ultimate Buffy and Angel episode. Truly excellent

Best episode ever! "I Will Remember You" symbolises Buffy and Angel's perfect reality and explores a story that I and many other fans have always wanted to see: What if Angel was human? We get our answer with this episode and for me, it's exactly how I imagined it. Buffy and Angel together and happy at last. The only problem I have with this episode is Angel's reason for turnig back time. I think this was done purely so Angel, as a series could continue. Angel's last scene as a human is heartbreaking with Buffy telling him "I'll never forget" over and over again. It was such a beautiful episode but one that leaves you with the question: What if Angel had stayed human? Christophe Beck's "Close Your Eyes" was fantastic to hear again in this perfect Buffy/Angel love story.