Angel

I Will Remember You

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Nov 23, 1999 on The WB

• Two words: Angel cries.

That pretty much sums it up. Angel, as anyone who is reading this knows, is a taciturn man, not one to show many emotions. But in the final moments of this beautiful, beautiful episode, my beloved Angel cries.
    I am a huge fan of both shows, and about 2 years ago, I bought a video on ebay, "For your Emmy consideration" on the top. Yes, it's illegal. Sue me. I didn't know what ep it was, all I knew is that this was relatively rare. It was shrink wrapped when I bought it, and I kept it that way for quite some time, figuring it was just a bunch of clips from the show. Well, eventually curiosity got the better of me, and I opened it. I popped it into my vcr without looking at the tape, and sat down to watch.

The opening scene of I Will Remember You greeted me.

Of all the ep's Joss could have chosen to send to the Emmy big wigs, he chose IWRY. Why? Because it shows David Boreanaz and Sarah Michelle Gellar doing some of their best work.

This episode is the quintessential B/A ep. It is especially significant now, after Angel forfeited the Shanshu. Watching it now, if possible, breaks my heart even more. He will never walk in the light. He will never find complete happiness. He is a true hero, and that's the tragedy. Always putting others before him. Losing everyone he loves.

One last snippet:

Joss Whedon on his favorite episode:

"I'd have to say IWRY because it kind of broke my heart"

Us too, Joss. Us too.