Angel

In the Dark

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 1999 on The WB

• SPIKE! w00t!

Spike makes his first appearance on the show after losing the Ring of Amorra he chases after it, the episode starts off with some fantastic voice over from Spike after Angel saves some random girl (I notice they're always beautiful women, what about the ugly ones?)

After a fight scene between Spike and Angel, Angel is captured and is being tortured until Spike gets the ring back, ultimately Spike loses the ring, his prisoner and his torturer and decides to leave. Angel gets the ring off of the other vampire and wears it and see's daylight for the first time in a long time. He watches the sun set and decides that the ring is just a fabrication of what he is fighting for and destroys it.

I think it's one of the best episodes in the series mainly because of the fact that Spike and Angel collide.
  • Oz brings the gem to angel but then Spike comes to steal it. HE tortures Angel for it.

Just the scene when spike is talking like angel and the girl makes this episode great.
    quotes:whoa whoa watch the hair gel
    well i do need some more of my nancy boy hairgel.

I tjought it was stupid that he couldn't keep the ring. he shouldve saved it in case something happened and he NEEDED to go out in the sun.
  • The best of season 1...

Well this is the first crossover episode between buffy and Angel and one of the best. Oz comes to town to give angel the gem of amara- that gem can make angel unstoppable. Spike is also in town for the gem. But he does not get it. This is my favorite episode out of season 1. It is also a really good crossover to. Seth green did an awesome job playing Oz on angel. I wish that they had brought him back though. Spike is just very funny in this episode. i really like the line at the end when Angel has the ring on and oz says "Is it just me or does he look pale?". Later...
  • One of my favorite episodes of season 1. All rooding Angel giving up the ring to help people at night. Our hero!!

I like to have Spike back on the show, because he is funny even if he`s evil at this time.

At this time of season 1 there are several visits from characters of Buffy on the show for promotion I guess, but I think Angel didn't need it. It is a show of its own and the actor were doing just fine.

It`s a very sad moment when Angel destroys the ring so that nobody else can ever wear it again.

Doyle is funny as always, but also caring about the others and really good in protecting Cordelia in front of Spike.

I love that episode and enjoy watching it over and over again!
  • Yay Spike!

Spike, love of my life, you rock, you silly little Vampire. I love the first scene with him. Lol, I back tracked my DVD player and watched that scene again, it was so funny. "You're really pale." "He's pale, anyone else notice that?" Oz is such a man with words. Yikes, that Torture guy is freaking creepy. And those sunglasses, were doing nothing to hide anything. Angel looked so adorable when he was in the sunlight. Probably just as well that he's not the type to be tempted by that sort of thing. And Spike, you twit. You should know already that Vampires are relatively solitary creatures. And blue denim does not look good on you, mate.
  • William the Bloody is in L.A

Spikes found the ring of emura in sunnydale only for buffy to get it to Oz to give to Angel.spike is determined to get the ring back knowingg Spike would show Angel hid the ring After desperate searching,a run in with Cordelia and Doyle,and a hilarious mocking of Angel in an alley. he hires a vampire who will torture him until he reveils the rings hiding spot.I loved this episode because 1}David Boreanaz shirtless and sweaty lol and 2}SPIKE= hilarious. in the end angel is victorious and receives the ring but destroys it knowing that scary things that go bump in the night should stay in the dark where they belong and not in the sunshine.
  • Spike follows Oz to LA in search for the Gem of Amarra.

I really do love this episode. James Marsters delivers Spike's witty commentary beautifully and I love the attitude of Spike towards everyone. Cordelia and Doyle are also brillaintly played by Charisma Carpenter and Glenn Quinn. The writing is amazing all through-out the entire Angel series but I believe this episode is particularly entertaining. David Boreanaz plays the dark and brooding Angel extremely well and I always enjoy watching him. He's an excellent actor and is amazing in Bones as well but I perfer the work he does in Angel. Especially this episode, which throws light on just some of the many reasons I love watching this show.
  • Oz visits Angel in LA to give him the ring from Buffy. Spike comes to LA looking for the ring. Great crossover!

After Spikes fight with Buffy, he goes to LA searching for the ring knowing that Buffy got the ring to Angel. The Only Oz appearance on Angel. Seeing Oz in LA is great! Oz was already going to LA for a gig with his band so he agrees to give Angel the ring for Buffy. Spike torture Angel to try to get him to reveal the location of the ring. Its a great crossover because first of all its the first crossover and Spike and Oz both come to LA. My fav quote from this episode is:

Spike: ... (About Buffy) She is cute when she's hurting, isn't she? Angel: I think she's cuter when she's kicking your ass\

All together great episode!
  • SPIKE!

I absolutely loved this episode. Could be cause I'm a BIG Buffy fan and was real happy to see Oz and Spike, or just the fact that this episode was hilarious. Most likely it's both. Whenever James (Spike) and David (Angel) are on the screen it's pure gold in my opinion. Their performances are great in this episode along with everyone else's. Also has too many great lines to list. One of the best of course anyone who knows this episode knows is in the beginning. In my opinion I wasn't to much for the first season (same goes for Buffy) although I can say the episodes that I did like in that season I ended up loving. For that season in my opinion the good episodes were great and the rest were really just there.
  • In which even more Buffy characters crossover.

I only really like this episode because of Spike. He lights up any episode he's in.

It's a crossover ep from Buffy, the first of a few in this first fledgling season. They chose good characters to crossover though, Spike and Oz. They had good chemistry with the Angel cast and weren't too imposing.

Spike is hunting down the Gem of Amara, which Oz has come to deliver to Angel for safekeeping. Spike ends up kidnapping Angel and has him tortured by another vampire named Marcus. This whole plot is a little dull after seeing the same hunt on Buffy, but it does have its moments.

The best scene, by far, of the entire episode, almost the entire season, is the scene at the beginning when Spike is mocking Angel from the rooftop. You just have to see it to really get the entire hilarity.

Overall, not too bad, especially for a spin-off show's third episode.
  • Spike is in town...

Yay! Even though Spike was the bad guy in this episode, you gotta admire his attitude - and the hair! Oz comes to town with a ring for Angel from Buffy. Basically Spike comes back for this ring that will make a Vampire imortal. Pretty cool if you think about it from his P.O.V. But, when he captures Angel and torutures him, I got a little peeved. I mean, poor Angel :( But hey, he made it through. And he was so daring, he ran out of a truck - in the daylight - to get the ring of the bad vampire who tortured him. In the end, the vamp gets dusted, and Angel gets to wear the ring. At the end though I was kind of upset, because Angel destroyed the ring, and even though he did the right thing, it must have taken alot. At least he got to watch another sunset.
  • Spike visits his old friend Angel.

"In the Dark" continues the story about the Gem of Amarra that was started in the Buffy episode "The Harsh Light of Day".

The teaser must be among the funniest things ever to be seen on television - we see Angel rescue a girl and being commented on by Spike - "Quickly, to the Angelmobile! Away!" It's all in the delivery. It's Spike versus Angel in this episode and they battle for a ring that makes a vampire unkillable. But in the end Angel decides that the ring must be destroyed and that he has to keep on fighting without it.

One of the best of Season 1.
  • It’s Spikelicious!

Fun words to learn and know: Spike as Angel: “Say no more! Evil's still afoot. And I'm almost out of that Nancy-boy hair gel I like SO much.”

Dialogue to lose inside the sofa in Hell: Spike: “It's called addiction, Angel. We all have them. I believe yours is named Slutty the Vampire Slayer.”

Well, that was a fun episode! I think Douglas Petrie is my favorite JossVerse writer -- after Joss himself, that is. His episodes are usually well written and highly entertaining, and this is certainly no exception. There are so many great lines in this episode, it’s almost impossible to narrow it down enough to choose *the* best line. With the all too notable exception of the line above, Spike is a riot. His parody of Angel and Rachel’s conversation in the teaser is absolutely priceless!

I do have one eentsy (intsy?) problem with the episode, that being Marcus’ overt infatuation with children. Was this aspect of his personality absolutely necessary? He’s a vampire who derives great pleasure out of torturing our hero -- it’s abundantly clear to us that he’s a bad guy; we don’t need that information pounded into our heads like a railroad spike -- or a fiery anvil of death, if you prefer. And what’s with the fugly, fugly sunglasses? All else aside, anyone wearing an accessory that ugly deserves to die.

Another aspect of the episode I don’t really get is this new ability of Doyle’s: *Doyle uses enhanced demon senses to smell out clues!* I’m not sure it makes a lot of sense for Doyle’s sense of smell to improve in demon face, plus, what kind of scent is that ring putting off? Never mind, on second thought I don’t really want to know. Curiosity occasionally leads to very bad places.

Hmmm, it seems I do have a couple of issues with this episode, but, as I mentioned previously, they’re minor annoyances. The incredibly nice exchange between Angel and Doyle at the end and the witty, amusing dialogue throughout the show more than make up for them. Overall, I’d have to say “Hooray for Douglas Petrie!” Thanks for such an enjoyable episode.
  • In the Dark

"In the Dark," one of several cross-over episodes with parent show Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the first in a series of episodes that carry significant elements and characters from one show to another with the central purpose of helping the new and emerging spin-off show get on its feet. I guess we know we're in Whedonland when it's just this good.

Picking up where BtVS, "The Harsh Light of Day" left off, this episode of AtS follows Spike and Oz as they depart Sunnydale for . Oz has come to the city for a gig with his band, but stops by the offices of Angel Investigations with a special package from Buffy: the Ring of Amarra. A ring that constitutes the Holy Grail for vampires which, when worn by one, renders them invincible against stakes, crosses, holy water and even sunlight. Spike, the greedy and mindless entropy fan he is, has followed Oz, having unearthed the ring in a plot to kill Buffy not days earlier in the fictional universe's time line. This is the set-up.

It's just a testament to the show's writers that these two worlds mesh so well; only two episodes in up to this point, and AtS already has a distinctly different tone, yet nothing feels out of place. Maybe it's just that writer Douglas Petrie really does write Spike better than the rest. Some rock solid proof appears right away in the teaser scene before the credits, where Spike gut-bustingly mocks Angel as he watches his former ally save a young girl in an alley.

There's a subtle layer beneath Spike's self-appreciated jibes too, as he is ever more intuitive than anyone around him guesses throughout his entire time in the Whedonverse. Even back in S2 of Buffy, his practicality and common sense stuck out and made him more than just the blind-fighting killer he appeared to be, and during his time with the Scoobies he could see their tight bonds falling apart while no one else could. In S5 of Angel, he's the only one, and right from the start, who doesn't delude himself with the company line about how Wolfram and Hart was changing because of Angel's new regime. He truthfully observed: "a place like this doesn't change, it changes

Here, his snarky comments about Angel scratch a delicate surface, and the sarcasm of the "fluffy puppy" line nails it: Angel is who he is, soul or not, and a large part of this season has him dealing with that and how it ties in to his history with Buffy. In fact, how he deals is a big part of this episode, along with the main theme of the entire series: Redemption. More specifically here: earning it.

The B plot involving the aforementioned girl named Rachel whom Angel saved in the alley doesn't do a whole lot, but serves as a fair parallel for the A plot. It also continues to lay a solid foundation for Angel's true mission of saving souls. When her abusive boyfriend has been released from jail, Rachel calls Angel in desperation, pleading to him to save her from herself; she always goes back to this man like an addict. Angel gives her his console, and tells her she can choose to go with another quick fix and wait and bleed through the consequences again, or take the longer, more painful road that ultimately has a better place for her at the end. This is just a shadow of what's to come as Angel is soon to face the same choice.

Oz shows up in . with the ring, and I'd like to point out how much I love this little guy and how wonderful he is no matter how little he talks; we always get what he's about and his brief exchanges with the team are enjoyable. Shame there isn't more of him. After a brief confrontation, Angel tracks down Spike and is subsequently captured, and it is here that the real meat of the episode kicks in.

Spike has hired a vampire who specializes in torture to get the location of the ring out of Angel, smugly explaining that this man, Marcus, invented some of the torture Despite the painful nature of it, the torture isn't all that gruesome, but pain seems to get the job done. Angel resists as boldly as he can all the while Marcus repeatedly asks him, 'what do you want, Angel?' trying to crack him by exposing deepest desires. The self-important, philosophical psychotic has been done to death so I was put off by this concept at first, but some good acting from all three 'vampires' and the strength of the writing made me enjoy the sequence as a whole.

In stark contrast to later seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Spike really does feel threatening throughout this episode too. I felt genuine concern for Doyle and Cordelia's safety when he confronted them in the office. And, as is his style, his determination for a goal is tough to break; we watch him egg Marcus on, periodically becoming delighted, bored and angry by the length and method of the torture and Angel's lack of response. But, is it really lacking? Even a vampire can only take so much and when Angel gives in to Marcus it's like a beautiful release; both chilling and pure. He tells his captor that he wants forgiveness, and Marcus is pleased with this truth. He knows that Angel often takes the high road too, and that he wishes to earn his redemption. This is where the Ring of Amarra ties in.

For Angel, it represents the same choice Rachel had to make: The quick fix versus the righteous path. Invulnerability and an enhanced bonus on top of his immortality would make Angel feel akin to a God, and this type of power easily corrupts. More importantly, as Marcus said, Angel feels he has to earn his 'freedom' from his past and it's through the pain he suffers that he realizes the cost of this, and learns to face it. And when Angel faces Marcus, then stepping into the sunlight with the ring on his hand, he takes a long look and truly sees what he's giving up, and still does it.

I really liked seeing him watch one last sunset before destroying the ring and thematically, it was moving. But, it does bother me a little. Now, from a storytelling standpoint it makes sense; you can't have an invincible hero because it would become impossibly boring, but much the same way Buffy stored the Troll God's hammer from an earlier episode for use against Glory in BtVS "The Gift" Angel could've stored this very powerful weapon away for the one most crucial moment. Just a necessity of the writing, I guess, however disappointing. Although, I have seen it pointed out that having such an item could bring Angel too close to true happiness, and the thought of Angelus with the Ring of Amarra is downright terrifying.

One last item of note is that Doyle and Cordelia get something important to do at last. They start to bond while hiding out at Doyle's place, and show their true colours in a crisis. Spike uses Angel's life as a bartering chip to scare them in to handing over the ring, but right away they know it's not an option. This seems a small thing, but it's important, as it starts to define the difference between Angel Investigations and the Scooby Gang.

From a metaphorical standpoint, they're more grown up; S1 of Angel focuses on the metaphor of life in one's early twenties, while Buffy S4 is about the college life. The only winning option for them is to cheat Spike out of the ring while rescuing Angel, as opposed to say, what Buffy and Co. did for Willow in BtVS "Choices" handing over the Box of Gavrock to the Mayor without a second thought when Willow's life was at stake. They're willing to give up even Angel to do what's right; another high road.

In the end, this is a really good episode that suffers from only a few minor nitpick items. Marcus himself was a good treat, making for an interesting play on the 'quiet psycho' archetype. And the exceptional blend of action, character development and thematic relevance, as well as the very entertaining presence of Spike make it memorable and fun; his mockery of Angel is one of the funniest moments in the Whedonverse.
  • A great episode with some welcome guests

What a script! There are so many witty things in here, one liners, banter but of course the outstanding must be the opening sequence with Spike doing a running commentary whilst watching Angel and the girl talking. (Wonder what the two actors were saying to each other?)

At the same time there is a serious theme running. Angel has hidden the ring which is what Spike is after, so is gruesomely tortured by the creepy Marcus. The 7th cavalry in the shape of Oz, Cordy and Doyle come to his rescue. Always nice to see David Boreanaz's torso even if it is stuck through with hot pokers.

The heroic side of Angel comes to the fore when he retrieves the Ring. Wearing it, he walks in the sunlight which he hasn't been able to do for some 200 odd years and then after watching the sun go down he smashes it, condemning himself to continue with his life in the darkness. He feels the Powers That Be have brought him back ( from the hell dimension) for a reason.

Great to see Spike again.

• Spike and Oz pay a visit, but for different reasons.

Oz comes to town to give Angel the gem of Amarra, courtesy of Buffy. The ring makes any vampire impervious to stakes, sunlight, etc... You would think Angel would like having this gem, but he ends up hiding it. Enter Spike. Seems Spike followed Oz to town and wants to get the ring back. (he did all the work for it, right?) Spike makes his presence known pretty quickly and ends up having Angel tortured by a VERY strange and sadistic vamp so Angel will give up the whereabouts of the ring. Cordy and Doyle search for the ring and Doyle finds it. They cut a deal with Spike to return the ring to him and get Angel back. With some help from Oz, they get Angel away from Spike and the weirdo Vamp. Spike aint happy, but is even LESS so when he sees the ring is gone. The psycho vamp took it. Angel ends up retrieving the ring and he does take one turn wearing it so he can experience being out in the sun and also watching the sunset. Then he destroys it, knowing no good can come from him having it.
  • Crossover Episode!

This episode was a crossover from the Buffy episode "The Harsh Light Of Day", with both Spike and Oz coming from Sunnydale, Oz came to give Angel the gem of Amara, and Spike came to get the gem of amara, which made for a great episode! Let's start with Oz, he fitted in well in Angel, with some hilarious lines, and Spike was great in this episode too! The creepy vampire helping Spike wasn't the typical bad guy, as he was very weird, and doesn't talk, and likes children... Anyway, the interogation scenes were well... weird, but interesting to watch anyway. I loved that Cordy and Doyle saved the day, and Angel's first moments of sunlight in about 200 years made for one of the best scenes of the episode, with some really great acting by David Boreanaz. Overall this was a nicely written, interesting and humourous episode, I hope the season continues to be this good!
  • I love this episode for one main reason I love the character Spike he is great in both Angel and Buffy.

I love this episode my favourite part of it is when Spike is making fun of Angel at the start I just couldn't stop laughing it still does everytime I watch it. I am also very happy that Oz was in this episode. I thought that they could of had him in it for a bit longer though. :)
  • An average episode made above average by the presence of yet another Buffy character, Spike.

Spike shows up to get his ring back. Spike makes fun of Angel. Marsters has his character down. I'm not sure half the time if it's the way Angel is written or Boreanaz' acting ability, but he just seems dull. I thought the ring was an interesting item, giving a vampire invulnerability to sunlight etc. It's only point was to allow Angel and the other vamp to roll around in the waves, until one gets deep fried. Then, instead of Angel keeping the ring because it's abilities are tempting to him...he crushes it...yep that's it...ok, he keeps it to have a teary sunrise scene, but then he destroys it without thinking twice...ok, I guess that's one way to resolve it.

Rating: 10 - Angel is sooooo dreamy!
    -1 - Angel is a chunkhead.
    -1 - Cordelia
    -1 - Doyle has a vision.
    +1 - Spike.
    +1 - Spike makes fun of Angel.

Final Rating: 9
  • Exciting!

This was an exciting episode, to say in the least. It started off with Spike coming to town searching for the Gem of Amarra (How do you spell it again?). This episode contained a very special moment between Angel and Doyle as Angel saw his last sunset. The main villain, Mark, was very creepy (He had a thing for little kids for crying out loud!) and the fight between him and Angel at the end was awesome! This is the first, and last, episode we see Oz, although he comes back and directs many more. All in all, I would recommend this episode.
  • Oz comes to LA to give Angel the Gem of Amarra, a ring that will render the vampire who wears it unkillable. Unfortunately Spike follows him and will stop at nothing to get it back.

The first crossover episode, following Buffy the Vampire Slayer's 'Harsh Light of Day', I thought was a really great episode.
    It was really great to see Oz in an episode of Angel, and to see how Angel reacts with news of how Buffy is doing.
    Spike provided a great 'villain' for this episode, especially considering his and Angel's history together. For all those who are Buffy followers, this episode provides closure as to what happens with the Gem of Amarra, which is nice.
    The torture element was great! It was so gruesome, and showed us how tough Angel really is.
    This episode was also able to show us classic brooding Angel at the end, making the tough choices on how he should use the Gem.
    Overall a great episode, definitely one to watch.
  • In the Dark

In the Dark was a really great episode of Angel. I enjoyed watching this episode which had Angel's first real crossover from Buffy. Spike showed up looking for the Gem of Amara which was being brought to Angel by Good Ol' Oz. The story of this episode was interesting and wrapped up this story line about the ring. I also enjoyed Oz and his interactions with Angel and gang. I think this episode had a lot of character growth for all the main characters of this series. Angel chose his path, and showed he really is a hero. I can't wait to see what is in store for him!!!!!
  • A Ring of Endless Anti-Sunlight

The second part of a storyline started in the Buffy episode The Harsh Light of Day, In the Dark begins with Spike crashing into LA searching for the mystical Gem of Amarra, a ring which renders the vampire wearer invincible and able to walk in sunlight. Spike previously got hold of the ring but Buffy managed to retrieve it, asking Oz, who was heading to LA for a gig, to give it to Angel.

As with the two episodes before it, In the Dark is another mix of comedy and gruesome horror. The opening scene, in which Spike narrates what Angel and his latest damsel in distress Rachel are saying is absolutely hilarious. His various quips, "off to the Angelmobile, away!" "I'm almost out of that nancy-boy hair gel I love so much" are so funny.

Oz and Spike fit into the LA setting well and it only takes another 4 years for the latter to become a regular.

Marcus is also a very creepy villain. A silent torturer with a thing for children, he eventually gets hold of the Gem and goes to a beach, planning to prey on little kids.

There are also some hilarious scenes where Oz tells Angel how pale he is when he's in the sunlight and one where Spike's hair accidentally catches on fire.

All the cast give brilliant performances and the final scene, in which Angel smashes the Gem, is heartbreaking. A stand-out episode and a real Angel classic.

Director: Bruce Seth Green
    Writer: Douglas Petrie
    Rating: B+
  • Spike hunt for the Gem of Amarra leads him to LA and to his nemesis Angel!

I really enjoyed this episode. Spike (James Marsters) makes a successful debut in the show which he would later become a part of.
    There are some great moments in the episode. The funniest has to be the opening scene when Spike is making fun of Angel. This is Spike at his best and I laughed out loud so many times during this scene!
    I really enjoyed the fight scenes which followed with Spike and Angel. They have great chemistry together and fight was so much fun to watch especially when Angel finally vamps out.
    Another of my favourite moments was at the end when Angel and Doyle are talking about the ring. The writing is so sweet here and you really get the sense of where Angel is coming from when he makes his final decision to destroy the ring.

This episode is the second of Angel that I have ever watched and I really enjoyed the way in which the show flows. The storyline of the blond girl that Angel saved, is nicely intertwined with Angel's personal story. The interaction between Doyle and Cordy is also well scripted and plotted.

Despite how good the supporting and guest cast are, David Boreanaz, really shines in the lead role of Angel. His performance in this epsidoe is brilliant and he plays brooding so well. He was wonderful in the torture scene
    but the best scene was undoubtedly when he is wearing the ring for the first time and steps in to the daylight. The look on his face completely portrays how much this means to him, to step into the light for the first time in 200+ years. The sheer joy and disbelief really comes across in this one small scene.

Overall, a brilliant and very enjoyable episode. The crossover with Buffy really works and gives all the actors some great material with which to shine!
  • Oz is followed to L.A. by Spike, who wants the Gem of Amara.

Great, great episode. Spike is hilarious as usual and brings a great dynamic to the show.

First things first: Spikes opening monologue is absolutely hilarious. "To the Angel mobile!". Classic. Spike is such a rich character, he adds positively to every episode he's in. The story follows on from Buffy "The Harsh Light of Day" with Spike and Angel duking it out for the Gem of Amara, a ring which makes vampires invincible. Sort of reminds me of 5.08 "Destiny" where they fight for Shanshu.

Angel's torturer is suitably creepy and sadistic, especially his thing for kids, which is horrible. I agree with Spike though- that music is annoying. The final battle is excellent also, especially the setting. A beach before sunset, underneath a walkway, drenched in water. Oh yes. I hate that Angel destroyed the ring though. A great, fun episode with fantastic re-watch value. Lines of the episode:

Spikes monologue

Spike: Whats next? Vampire Ballerina?

Oz: We're usually lurconic.

Annoying character of the episode:

None!
  • Hullo, Spoike. :)

Episodes like this intrigue me.

They make me ask questions like "How much did who know and when?"

In the entire course of the episode, no one introduced Doyle to Spike as "Doyle."

Fast forward to S5, when Lindsey is presenting himself to Spike as a connection to the PTB, he calls himself "Doyle" and of course Spike has no reference on the name.

Is it even possible that in the third episode of "Angel," Joss actually had S5 storylines in mind?

Or was Spike never catching Doyle's name just a strange coincidence?

These are questions one asks oneself in a review of a mighty fine episode.

I'd not remembered this one being this good. I enjoyed, as did everyone, Spike's rooftop color commentary on Angel and Rachel. And with everything going on in this episode, it's amazing they had the time they did to follow up with her, to talk about her addiction to the abusive relationship.

"Addiction. Everyone's got one," Spike said to Angel as part of a strangely introspective episode, which raised the very good question: "You're a detective?" I loved that exchange. "What's next? Vampire cowboy? Vampire dentist? Vampire ballerina?"

Which was blocked very badly because Angel saying he liked working with his legs too broadly telegraphed his next move in the fight. But beyond that one crappy lapse, most of the fight scenes were pretty intense. Certainly the torture scene was. And how contextually Angel was played on his way into that trap -- the "slip of the tongue" by one of Doyle's contacts, and then from there.

I know Spike is the only one who knows where they've got Angel. But that needed to be said out loud once. There were too many good opportunities for someone to stake Spike and no one did.

I hate that I got all the way to this paragraph before mentioning Oz, but thus has it shaken out. I loved Oz in this eppy. I think if they'd sent the ring with just about anyone else, Cordy and [whoever else] would have more to say to each other. But that was a good awkward point of illustration saying "Hey -- living some independent lives here on independent shows."

That and Oz got to burst in and save the day. And then Angel, still in daylight, still recovering from soul-searing torture, saves the children from Marcus.

Spike was very well written in this episode. His writing was much better than his makeup, which reminded me of the Insane Clown Posse. But y'know what? Damn' decent performance all the same. His itchiness with Marcus and his break-in at Angel's were some very cool scenes.

No bothersome visions to overanalyze -- Rachel was a walk-in -- and Doyle's suggestion that they're not always going to be paid for the help they provide is an interesting point. But it's cool that they've tracked down enough of a small business loan for Cordy to have a computer on her desk and a printer. Go Cordy -- get that office set up with yo' bad self.

I wish Angel hadn't smashed the ring. There's situations where it would've come in handy. But then, when your main character is entirely invulnerable, that can get boring to write and really boring to watch. All the same, which his rationalization was reasonably good storywise, I'm afraid the fact remains that Angel had a powerful weapon in his arsenal and he destroyed it.

But then, that went in the direction of who he was, who he was going to be. He wasn't going to be Superman. He was going to earn his redemption the hard way. And part of that "forgiveness" he said he wanted, part of that redemption, was living the guilt and pain and experiencing the limitations of vampire existence as well as the benefits. Like I said -- nice bit of introspection.

All in all, for all of my kvetching, I truly enjoyed this episode. Lots going on, good writing, nice ties to Sunnydale and good to see Spike and Oz on the soundstage.

Well done, everyone. :)
  • 'I don't know about you, but I had a nice day. You know, except for the bulk of it, where I was nearly tortured to death. '

‘In The Dark’ continues the gem storyline that began in ‘The Harsh Light Of Day’, the episode is certainly not as good as the past two but is still better than the Buffy version.

The intro was extremely fun to watch, a girl named Rachel is being chased by her abusive boyfriend but saved by Angel. While he and Rachel talk, Spike is watching them and imitates to be them. ‘Up, to the Angel mobile. Away!’

Meanwhile Oz comes to visit LA. If Spike were smart, he’d attack Oz but he really isn’t. Anyway, Oz sees Cordy again and it’s so fun to see them together. He also meets Doyle and they make such a good team, too bad Oz never joined the cast because they would have been so much fun. But anyway, Oz gives Angel the ring but Angel reacts a bit strange. He stays alone behind and hides the ring in the sewers.

After Angel gets a call from Rachel, he decides to save her but then gets a visit from his buddy Spike. They fight along and Spike meets Angel’s followers. But then Spike leaves after he realise he doesn’t stand a chance, while Angel goes to talk to Rachel, Doyle Takes Cordy over to his place. He asks Cordy if Spike is really someone to sweat over and she says that he really is.

While Angel goes to clubs to find Spike, when he finally does someone captures Angel from behind. His name is Marcus, a torturer who loves children. He plays some bloody Mozart and bores Angel to death while he’s not poking him with hot pokers.

Spike is tired of it and goes to find his ring, there he sees Doyle and Cordy. He tells them to give him the ring or he will kill Angel, they find it because of Doyle turning into the demon and Cordy says she could hug him, but he’s not lucky enough to be hugged.

But what we learn about Angel and why he wants it the hard way, is that he really wants to atone for his crimes in the past, he wants forgiveness but not the hard way. Then he tries to kill Marcus and promises it but Spike comes along and saves Marcus, then they work together and torturing Angel.

After Doyle and Cordelia go to save Angel, they make Spike fetch the ring and Oz comes in his van to save Angel, they escape but when spike goes to find his ring, it’s gone. Marcus took it to some kids. In the van, Angel tells Oz to turn back because he knows that Marcus likes little children. They go back and Angel jumps out of the car and becomes a vampire torch, he pushes Marcus into the water. They fight and then Angel puts Marcus on a stake, then takes off his ring and Marcus dusts.

At the end of the day, Doyle and Angel are talking when the sun goes down. Angel says he doesn’t want the ring because he wants to save people at night, when it’s dark. And the ring just seems like it helps but it doesn’t, it’s too easy. Angel then destroys the ring.

‘In The Dark’ was a good episode, we learn a lot more about Angel’s feelings and it was a blast to see Oz in L.A. I wasn’t crazy about Spike however, but I did enjoy watching his hair on fire.

• Old Friends/New Cities

In The Dark-Oz visits L.A. with a present for Angel from Buffy. It’s the Gem of Amarra, a ring which has been a vampire myth for millennia. While wearing it, a vampire is immune to crosses, stakes, and can even walk in daylight. It isn’t long before Spike arrives in town, searching for the ring. And he has no plans of leaving until he gets it.

One thing that always worked on Angel, like another fantasy show Xena Warrior Princess, is that it's main characters had dark pasts that brought a lot of backstory and characters from that past. Spike, who is an infamous villian on Buffy, makes his appearence on Angel and brings some torment to his old teacher. James Masters is a pro at playing the badass vamp from Angel's past and the new setting doesn't change that. The continuing story from Buffy with the Gem of Amara is good here and Oz gets to stop bywhich his very mellow personality brings some hilarious moments between him and Cordelia. The episode also has somce creepy moments with Angel being tortured by the even more creepy vampire Marcus, in which guest start Kevin West gives a creepy performance. This episode also brings some great questions about Angel and what his all about. Angel could have kept the ring and be invincible but he choses to find redemption the right way, which is played out well. All and All, a great episode which has great guest stars and plot.
  • this was the frist time spike and angel had been together in a long time. In The Dark was the frist episode i saw of angel and i loved it. It was the reason i started watching the show.

This episode was extremely well written, with humour in all the right places. it was interesting seeing spike on Angel. i was glad to see that he had become a regular in angel season 5 as spike brought a lot of humourand conflict to the show.

i don't really have any compliants about this episode apart from the that werid guy marcus. it would have been a lot more fun to see spike tourchring Angel instead as he probably would have done a better good.

i also think this episode should have been a two part episode with spike and angel having one massive fight.
  • An excellent episode

Spike is in LA to get a ring back from Angel. The ring will allow any vampire to become unharmed in any way.
    Oz comes for a quick visit. I love Oz LOL. He is so cool and down to earth.
    This is a great conclusion to the BTVS episode "The Harsh Light of Day".
< 1 2