Angel

In the Dark

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 1999 on The WB

• Spike hunt for the Gem of Amarra leads him to LA and to his nemesis Angel!

I really enjoyed this episode. Spike (James Marsters) makes a successful debut in the show which he would later become a part of.
    There are some great moments in the episode. The funniest has to be the opening scene when Spike is making fun of Angel. This is Spike at his best and I laughed out loud so many times during this scene!
    I really enjoyed the fight scenes which followed with Spike and Angel. They have great chemistry together and fight was so much fun to watch especially when Angel finally vamps out.
    Another of my favourite moments was at the end when Angel and Doyle are talking about the ring. The writing is so sweet here and you really get the sense of where Angel is coming from when he makes his final decision to destroy the ring.

This episode is the second of Angel that I have ever watched and I really enjoyed the way in which the show flows. The storyline of the blond girl that Angel saved, is nicely intertwined with Angel's personal story. The interaction between Doyle and Cordy is also well scripted and plotted.

Despite how good the supporting and guest cast are, David Boreanaz, really shines in the lead role of Angel. His performance in this epsidoe is brilliant and he plays brooding so well. He was wonderful in the torture scene
    but the best scene was undoubtedly when he is wearing the ring for the first time and steps in to the daylight. The look on his face completely portrays how much this means to him, to step into the light for the first time in 200+ years. The sheer joy and disbelief really comes across in this one small scene.

Overall, a brilliant and very enjoyable episode. The crossover with Buffy really works and gives all the actors some great material with which to shine!